What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ozark on Netflix (2 Viewers)

That's because everyone in the community (save Jordana Spiro) is a criminal. 
Correct, most of the businesses he approached were already laundering money for the redneck heroin dealers. IIRC, the Sheriff even warns Jason Bateman away and to go back to Chicago which seems like he realizes that Bateman is up to no good. However later you realize the Sheriff already knows that all the businesses are in cahoots with the drug dealers and he can't do anything about it.

That's because everyone in the community (save Jordana Spiro) is a criminal. 
Correct, most of the businesses he approached were already laundering money for the redneck heroin dealers. IIRC, the Sheriff even warns Jason Bateman away and to go back to Chicago which seems like he realizes that Bateman is up to no good. However later you realize the Sheriff already knows that all the businesses are in cahoots with the drug dealers and he can't do anything about it.
aside from the sheriff and the strip-club, I completely missed that. makes sense.

I mostly get the concept, but it seems mind-bogglingly complicated, and impossible to do it on such a large scale with relatively low-revenue businesses like strip clubs and marinas in hickville. 
The biggest stretch was how quickly they were turning those large sums down the stretch to get to 8 million with just a lodge and a strip joint.  

More like a pedaro.  Sofia Hublitz was 17 when this was filmed, playing a 15 year old.
Pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children. Although girls typically begin the process of puberty at age 10 or 11, and boys at age 11 or 12, criteria for pedophilia extend the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13. A person who is diagnosed with pedophilia must be at least 16 years old, and at least five years older than the prepubescent child, for the attraction to be diagnosed as pedophilia.

More like a pedaro.  Sofia Hublitz was 17 when this was filmed, playing a 15 year old.
Pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children. Although girls typically begin the process of puberty at age 10 or 11, and boys at age 11 or 12, criteria for pedophilia extend the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13. A person who is diagnosed with pedophilia must be at least 16 years old, and at least five years older than the prepubescent child, for the attraction to be diagnosed as pedophilia.

Lighten up Francis.

Lighten up Francis, I just called you a pedophile for having a normal attraction to a female of childbearing age.

Ok, you go up to a father of a 16 year old  and tell him you have a "normal attraction" to his daughter of childbearing age, tough guy.

How high are you right now? ;)

Chill guys.

On what planet does that heroin redneck not eat a bullet?  I know how they want to pass him off, but he's no Boyd Crowder

The writing was incredibly lazy, but they peppered in some nice zingers every now and then.

Agree on the acting.  Even the kids do a good job.
I think the writing is very good.  Not great, but very good.  I hate contrived bull #### like the real estate's mom backing into the street and getting killed by a car. 

The performances of Bateman and Linney are making this better than it would be with lesser actors.   

Which parts of the writing didn't you like?
Too many to write about

Let's start with his business partner deciding it would be a good idea to rip off a cartel, especially knowing Del is a killer

The love angle between the FBI guy and the hick Russ Langmore 

The ridiculous amounts of money Marty was asked to launder through these small businesses

The convenient money they were able to scam from the real estate guy and then the Mom getting hit by bus next day to create drama

The daughter acting like a spoiled brat in the face of incredible danger (minor plot point but it was annoying because it wasn't believable)

The second ridiculous drop of money to Marty if they knew he barely pulled off the last one, what made them trust him again

The FBI being so close and also entirely useless along with all local law enforcement

The hillbillies surviving the Mexican Cartel

Marty surviving

The writing was weak, the characters were good though and I liked the setting.   Don't know if this is enough for a season 2 for me.

Too many to write about

Let's start with his business partner deciding it would be a good idea to rip off a cartel, especially knowing Del is a killer  Agreed

The love angle between the FBI guy and the hick Russ Langmore   Agreed

The ridiculous amounts of money Marty was asked to launder through these small businesses   If that's the amount he was doing in Chicago, that's the amount Del would want to see him do in the Ozarks.  Del mostly let Marty live out of curiosity to see if Marty was BS'ing him about the Ozarks idea.

The convenient money they were able to scam from the real estate guy and then the Mom getting hit by bus next day to create drama   Agreed, the bus was dumb.

The daughter acting like a spoiled brat in the face of incredible danger (minor plot point but it was annoying because it wasn't believable)   Both kids were unusually calm around killers, maybe because they have genes from both Marty and Wendy.  Not really realistic, but possible I guess.

The second ridiculous drop of money to Marty if they knew he barely pulled off the last one, what made them trust him again     Del knew Marty barely made the deadline the first time to launder the first amount, and as mentioned above, it's basically a game to Del - he's having fun watching Marty squirm and struggle under his likely lie about the Ozarks he told to survive the first time.

The FBI being so close and also entirely useless along with all local law enforcement      Yeah, law enforcement seems pretty toothless.

The hillbillies surviving the Mexican Cartel     ??? The cartel hasn't come after them yet.  It will though  :shock:

Marty surviving      Several close calls though, Del the first time, Del the 2nd time (toe nails), the electrocution attempt.  Marty survived the first 2 due to his own quick wit under stress, the last was just lucky.

The writing was weak, the characters were good though and I liked the setting.   Don't know if this is enough for a season 2 for me.

Chill guys.

On what planet does that heroin redneck not eat a bullet?  I know how they want to pass him off, but he's no Boyd Crowder
Watching these folk makes me long for Boyd Crowder. He would be a believable and formidable player, even if the Cartel came calling. Can't buy the couple being the threat they're portrayed as.

Hilts said:
Watching these folk makes me long for Boyd Crowder. He would be a believable and formidable player, even if the Cartel came calling. Can't buy the couple being the threat they're portrayed as.
I'm curious where they're going with it, but I get the bad feeling they're going to use writers magic to suddenly develop an army of never before mentioned hill-folk ready to do their bidding.  But my biggest fear is "Well Marty, you're going to get blamed for this unless you can figure something out (Hilarity ensues)"

If it was just a case of hubris built through years of dealing with knuckleheads like the trailer park family finally catching up to them in the form of a Colombian neck tie, that'd work for me.

Too many to write about

Let's start with his business partner deciding it would be a good idea to rip off a cartel, especially knowing Del is a killer

The love angle between the FBI guy and the hick Russ Langmore 

The ridiculous amounts of money Marty was asked to launder through these small businesses

The convenient money they were able to scam from the real estate guy and then the Mom getting hit by bus next day to create drama

The daughter acting like a spoiled brat in the face of incredible danger (minor plot point but it was annoying because it wasn't believable)

The second ridiculous drop of money to Marty if they knew he barely pulled off the last one, what made them trust him again

The FBI being so close and also entirely useless along with all local law enforcement

The hillbillies surviving the Mexican Cartel

Marty surviving

Actually this sums up most of my issues except for one...  Jason Bateman can’t act. He’s great in Arrested Development, but this guy is completely devoid of emotion in this type of show.

His buddy gets killed by the cartel...  Bateman:  :unsure:

His family is threatened by the cartel... Bateman:  :unsure:

Rednecks threaten to cut a baby out of a woman...  Bateman:  :unsure:

The guy never changes his ho hum expression/mentality the entire show. 

Actually this sums up most of my issues except for one...  Jason Bateman can’t act. He’s great in Arrested Development, but this guy is completely devoid of emotion in this type of show.

His buddy gets killed by the cartel...  Bateman:  :unsure:

His family is threatened by the cartel... Bateman:  :unsure:

Rednecks threaten to cut a baby out of a woman...  Bateman:  :unsure:

The guy never changes his ho hum expression/mentality the entire show. 
Fair point.  But I just take it as the character is cool under pressure even if that's not the intent.

I definitely see what you're saying though.  His biggest asset when he's in comedies is a detriment in dramas.

I enjoyed it. Good, not great, but definitely worth watching. It’s in the same basket as bloodline, the crown, and godless for me. 

Just got through episode two.  Liking this.  Kind of a breaking bad feel to it.  I love Bateman's character's pragmatic approach to everything.  Just all business.

Just finished this

Random thoughts

I think Bateman's acting style was great for this. This is what he seems to be on every show/movie. They didn't try to make him into something he was not. If they did we'd get Vince Vaugn in True Detective 2.

I can understand the plot hole distractions but the acting, cinematography and humor makes up for it. (They think Jonah can be a serial killer cause he is the one leaving dead carcasses on the property...he is just intrigued about vultures...lol)

In dealing with the rednecks I never got the feeling Bateman could just phone a friend to the cartel and they would solve his problem. Del basically was intrigued at this venture and if that type of call came through I got the feel del would say, this is more trouble than it's worth and end Bateman's experiment/life.

I think the wife was great. I hated her, felt sorry for her, cheered for her all while still hating her.

Lodge chick will come back and save Bateman season 2 in some way. She just left to go visit her sister Ashley Judd.

Kids were pretty good, as some kids can ruin shows but maybe I will feel different in 2-3 more seasons. 

Would they really sell an assulat rifle to corky in those neck of the woods? I wanted to think that was a huge eye roll moment but...I'm not sure. 

The flashback ep was pretty good. I thought it gave you a good view in how things started. It explained how del let Bateman live. He saw his potential from the beginning and when Bateman made his pitch, ep8 shows you why del even considered it.  It made that scene MUCH more believable for me at that point.

Ruth was good. I enjoyed her character and not sure where they go with her as she is a wild card I think in terms of where they shape her path going forward.

"If there's one thing Mexico has a lot of, it's Mexicans"...Lol

The mix of comedy I think is what made this show enjoyble and easier to deal with any plot holes. Each episode had several moments where they wouldn't let me take things too serious. 

All in all this was fast paced and the characters were interesting. The binge watch generation needs shows to catch us early and in doing so often times convienent plot holes are needed. Some done better than others. Looking forward to S2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too many to write about

People get greedy and stupid all the time. It had been 10 years. Complaceny and feeling Bateman was doing a good job...not to mention Bruce was working with the feds so he manage presumed Del was not gonna need as much money in jail?

The love angle between the FBI guy and the hick Russ Langmore.

They explained this. FBI dude didn't fall in love. He played him knowing he was a closet gay dude after reading his rap sheet included solicitation of a male prostitute. 

The ridiculous amounts of money Marty was asked to launder through these small businesses. 

Again,  they explained this ep1 by insinuating the summer months have a tremendous amount of tourism money injected into the local economy. 8M may be alot but the reasoning is there.

The convenient money they were able to scam from the real estate guy and then the Mom getting hit by bus next day to create drama.

Yea, super lazy/convenient but did provide some comedy at the funeral home with mom's burial wishes.

I think it would be more unbelievable if kids were NOT spoiled and annoying.

The golden boy Marty Byrd pulled it off...ai carumba....im impressed,  let's keep this taco train going.  The only part that makes it difficult is 50M in the non summer months.

The FBI being so close and also entirely useless along with all local law enforcement. 

Local PD is in hillbilles pocket. FBI...I almost had the feeling the dude was working this case a bit on his own but I generally can agree with your thoughts. 

The hillbillies surviving the Mexican Cartel.

The Mexicans didn't really know much (anything?) about the hillbillies until Del met them.

Marty surviving

:shrug:  You don't kill Walter white or Tony soprano in Season 1.

Maik Jeaunz said:
:blackdot:

I'm through 6 episodes and I dig it a lot. will read the thread when I'm through the first season.
I'm a big fan as well, I've watched it a couple of times now.

I love how people keep saying that the comparisons to Breaking Bad are way off. Let's see, we have a show about a boring, suburbanite who is thrust into a world of crime to save his family based on his unique ability to do some task that only he can do and must prove over and over his worth in order to save his own skin. This man just happens to  take to crime like a duck to water. Oh, along the way the guy's family life greatly complicates things and at some point in the series, his wife is banging someone else. Yeah, nothing like Breaking Bad.

Sure, BB was a better show, but that doesn't mean they aren't similar on a whole lot of levels. 

I love how people keep saying that the comparisons to Breaking Bad are way off. Let's see, we have a show about a boring, suburbanite who is thrust into a world of crime to save his family based on his unique ability to do some task that only he can do and must prove over and over his worth in order to save his own skin. This man just happens to  take to crime like a duck to water. Oh, along the way the guy's family life greatly complicates things and at some point in the series, his wife is banging someone else. Yeah, nothing like Breaking Bad.

Sure, BB was a better show, but that doesn't mean they aren't similar on a whole lot of levels. 
But breaking bad had better characters.  Better dialog.  some great villians like gus.  It wasn't just better.  It was superior in just about every single way. 

And I like Ozarks.

Agree on your main point though

Last edited by a moderator:
But breaking bad had better characters.  Better dialog.  some great villians like gus.  It wasn't just better.  It was superior in just about every single way. 

And I like Ozarks.

Agree on your main point though
I said that BB was better. But they are both incredibly similar. 

I believe I said in the first episode, "Oh, so it's BB but instead of drug making, he's money laundering."

finished season 1 last night. really enjoyed it. the performances were good across the board, but especially Marty, Wendy & Del.

my gripe early on in the show was that Linney seemed significantly older than Bateman. I checked and she's 6 years older in real life, so not unreasonable.

with respect to why Marty didn't just tell Del about his trouble with country kingpin, this whole thing was just an experiment to Del, to see if Marty could actually back up his BS and wash the 8 mil. Del doesn't believe him, and Marty knows he doesn't believe him. so at the first sign of trouble, Marty knows Del would just cut his losses, whack Marty's whole family, and move on.

with respect to why Marty didn't just tell Del about his trouble with country kingpin, this whole thing was just an experiment to Del, to see if Marty could actually back up his BS and wash the 8 mil. Del doesn't believe him, and Marty knows he doesn't believe him. so at the first sign of trouble, Marty knows Del would just cut his losses, whack Marty's whole family, and move on.
Spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread