What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Was Gandalf Smoking? (1 Viewer)

What was the halfling's leaf?

• Weed

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • Tobacco

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
If memory serves me right, Pipe-weed (also known as Halflings' Leaf) is grown and enjoyed much by the hobbits of the Shire, to whom it was first introduced by Tobold Hornblower. It was first grown among hobbits by Tobold Hornblower in Longbottom (a region in the Shire) around S.R. 1070 (TA 2670). Despite its foreign origins, the hobbits (possibly those in Bree) were the first to use it for smoking.

Pipe-weed production is a major industry there, especially in the south. It was known among the Dúnedain as sweet galenas for its fragrance. 

"Your love for the Halflings' leaf has clouded your mind."
oh for christ sake.

I have seen Fellowship of the Ring 46 times and I never knew that is what Saraman was talking about.  I always took it to mean Bilbo's nephew Frodo (kind of like a leaf on a family tree.

:bag:

If memory serves me right, Pipe-weed (also known as Halflings' Leaf) is grown and enjoyed much by the hobbits of the Shire, to whom it was first introduced by Tobold Hornblower. It was first grown among hobbits by Tobold Hornblower in Longbottom (a region in the Shire) around S.R. 1070 (TA 2670). Despite its foreign origins, the hobbits (possibly those in Bree) were the first to use it for smoking.

Pipe-weed production is a major industry there, especially in the south. It was known among the Dúnedain as sweet galenas for its fragrance. 
:mellow:

I can't figure out if you searched for this or just know it and can sprout it off at any time. 

JFC dude.  

from the Lord of the Rings prologue:

“There is another astonishing thing about Hobbits of old that must be mentioned, an astonishing habit: they imbibed or inhaled, through pipes of clay or wood, the smoke of the burning leaves of a herb, which they called pipe-weed or leaf, a variety probably of Nicotiana. A great deal of mystery surrounds the origin of this particular custom, or ‘art’ as the Hobbits preferred to call it.”
“Nicotiana” or more commonly referred to as tobacco plants, is the undeniable proof that Professor Tolkien intended for pipe-weed to be interpreted as tobacco. Furthermore, another name for hobbit’s pipe-weed directly stated by Tolkien is “leaf.” Tobacco is produced from the leaves of a nicotiana plant, whereas it is the flowers on the cannabis plant that are generally smoked.

Saruman smoked it too. Merry and Pippin found some in Isengard after the Ents wrecked it and flooded it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's rather disheartening that the board allows people to openly discuss drug use, even if it is "on middle earth". What is next? Opiates a Tatooine? 

IIRC, the pipe weed is something between ganja and tobacco....it wasn't straight weed. 

Those Hobbits know how to party. 

Users who are viewing this thread