What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Miami Dolphins Thread*** Bye, Gase (1 Viewer)

The OL injuries are devastating ... not sure how they're going to go toe to toe with Cinci if they can't perform on a decent level. 

So what we have is the same OL that stunk the last 2 years minus Pouncey. Went out and replaced 2/5ths and both those guys are on the IR before week 4 was done. Not good. This offense was proven over and over that if the opposing D doesn't have to play the run, we can't pass for ####. And with these 5 guys in there, we have no running game.Only thing I can suggest is to promote Asiata from the PS and insert him at LG. He's a run blocker. Obviously can't handle pass protection, but you should be able to scheme pass blocking. You can't cover for guys that can't win one on ones in the run game. That's as far as my thinking goes. Probably won't work but what the heck. 

Seems like a typical trap situation type game. Cincy coming off a huge dramatic win, going against a team that got killed. This is the NFL. You know what happens next. Having said that, anybody who watched the two teams play on Sunday would have a hard time making a case for Miami. 

Seems like a typical trap situation type game. Cincy coming off a huge dramatic win, going against a team that got killed. This is the NFL. You know what happens next. Having said that, anybody who watched the two teams play on Sunday would have a hard time making a case for Miami. 
Miami could play tough, but more likely Cinn runs for 150 yards and Tannehill gets sacked at least 3 times. The o-line is a mess, the d-line has no depth, and the LBs aren't good against the run.

the DL guy they brought up from the practice squad, Woodard, played pretty well.

Top #Dolphins defensive grades from Week 4: CB, Bobby McCain - 81.4 DI, Vincent Taylor - 78.9 ED, Cameron Wake - 78.5 ED, Jonathan Woodard - 75.6 DB, Minkah Fitzpatrick - 75.3 DI, Davon Godchaux - 71.2

The 2 defensive tackles had high grades, yet Phillips thought he should play over them. Good riddance to him. That guy we promoted from the PS will be able to do what Phillips did with no drama attached.

Last edited by a moderator:
after big losses Gase culls people.

Phillips after NE this year

Ajayi after Baltimore last year 

3 OL after Titan game in 2016... they went 9-2 after. 

3 starters on the o-line are out. Tannehill is serviceable, and he has improved, but they should move on next year. Maybe time to move on from this regime.  
No more excuses. He has absolutely no feel for the position. Just doesn’t have it. Time to move on. 

Utter garbage our OL......just pure garbage. And our play calling? GASE SUUUUUUUUUCKS.

Tannehill is exactly who we thought he was. Simply average. Time to move on. They must try to draft another QB. He is not the answer.

Utter garbage our OL......just pure garbage. And our play calling? GASE SUUUUUUUUUCKS.

Tannehill is exactly who we thought he was. Simply average. Time to move on. They must try to draft another QB. He is not the answer.
If the OL is such garbage, how are the backs getting 6 yards a carry?  Why can't Gase ever lean on his running game?

If the OL is such garbage, how are the backs getting 6 yards a carry?  Why can't Gase ever lean on his running game?
And why does Gase often use a spread formation, no backs in the backfield, with Tannehill at the helm?  Pass protection is harder than run blocking - that's why Gore is having success and another reason to lean more on the run and short passes. I'm not sold on Gase.

And why does Gase often use a spread formation, no backs in the backfield, with Tannehill at the helm?  Pass protection is harder than run blocking - that's why Gore is having success and another reason to lean more on the run and short passes. I'm not sold on Gase.
Gase certainly has instilled (at some times more than others) a competitive mentality that Miami had lacked for a long time.  However, he is so stubborn with certain players (good and bad) and with his playcalling 

They can’t seem to pass protect. And yeah Gase stinks......terrible play caller, terrible strategist. He is not working out IMO.

Gase certainly has instilled (at some times more than others) a competitive mentality that Miami had lacked for a long time.  However, he is so stubborn with certain players (good and bad) and with his playcalling 
Gase wanted Cutler and Julius Thomas in 2017. He's not good as a GM either. 

Gase wanted Cutler and Julius Thomas in 2017. He's not good as a GM either. 
I meant that he was stubborn in thinking some players are better than they actually are because they are his guys, but runs off talent players who don't seem to buy in.

We need some massive changes this year.

I'm not in favor of the 2-3 year coach cycle like the Browns and Raiders use, Gase has done enough to be allowed a 4th year.  But the front office needs to go.  That way you have someone in place to decide on the coach.  The last thing that is needed is to fire a coach with a lame duck front office in place.

I think RT17 is clearly not the long term answer but the OL is (and has been forever) the bigger issue.  Draft a QB (Will Grier) and 6 OL this year.  3 linemen will be busts, one will show promise and be placed on practice squad and forgotten until he disappears into the void, one will be hurt all the time, but maybe 1 can be of value.  

Tannehill is above avg when he has a line.  When he doesn't he's awful.  

Roster makeup has to be questioned.  

Starting the season by keeping 3 QBs was ridiculous.  Befuddling they didn't choose between Osweiler and Fales. Then they backed their way into keeping a 4th getting a rookie QB in Falk.  Miami was the only team to place a claim on Falk...FWIW. I've watched Waldman's film room on him...it seems like he could've used a redshirt year. 

Playcalling has to be questioned... with a the OL getting killed why didn't Gase move the pocket? 

Can they trade Parker for an OL guy?  Parker brings something no one else on our roster can... but as it's frequently said the best ability is availability.  

Shankopotamus said:
We need some massive changes this year.

I'm not in favor of the 2-3 year coach cycle like the Browns and Raiders use, Gase has done enough to be allowed a 4th year.  But the front office needs to go.  That way you have someone in place to decide on the coach.  The last thing that is needed is to fire a coach with a lame duck front office in place.

I think RT17 is clearly not the long term answer but the OL is (and has been forever) the bigger issue.  Draft a QB (Will Grier) and 6 OL this year.  3 linemen will be busts, one will show promise and be placed on practice squad and forgotten until he disappears into the void, one will be hurt all the time, but maybe 1 can be of value.  
You burn it all at once IMO.  They have done this type of approach recently.

I got sucked in, again, after the 3-0 start. The coaching staff is completely clueless and the QB stinks. Outscored 24-0 in the 4th quarter :lol:  Grant with zero touches on offense. Any coaching staff worth a damn would find a way to get this guy the ball. Unfortunately they have somehow managed to win 3 games and will probably not suck enough down the stretch to be in position to land a franchise QB in the draft. It’s been football purgatory forever in Miami. The few times they’ve been at the top of the draft they draft a RB and then trade up for a bust Defensive Lineman. Rinse and repeat. So tired of this franchise ruining my weekend. 

Tannehill is above avg when he has a line. 
No he’s not. At his best, he’s uninspiringly average. Has zero pocket awareness and can’t throw downfield. When has he ever put the team on his back and taken over a game? When have you ever felt confident that he would lead the team to a win when trailing in the 4th quarter? Not trying to pick on your post, but I have never felt it or seen it with this guy. He’s a solid backup level QB. 

Game turned when Tunsil went out with the concussion. We had success running before that point. After that, nothing but tackles for losses and pressure on the QB. Tannehill is horrible with a bad OL and decent with an above average OL. The guy that should be fired is the guy that thought it was a good idea to sign Sam Young as the swing tackle behind 2 guys that have missed numerous games with injuries.

Or why have Ballage active over your true back up LT. Sam Young is not a backup LT. He has never played there with any competence. Instead of having 4 freaking RB's active you prepare for a worst case if Tunsil went down and have Zach Sterrup active. Once Young went into the game the Bengals smelled blood in the water and it was a ####### disaster.

You have Ballage active to get one freaking carry? 

Gase is not a competent head coach and he is proving it over and over and over.

The front office? LMFAO. An abortion going on 20 years.

Ryan Tannehill..."day to day" or "no timetable, expected to play again this season."   Kind of a wide range of options between those two evaluations.   The fact that someone is even suggesting season ending is a bit concerning.  At least if you are in the pro-Tannehill camp.

Looks like Brock could be more of a longer term play than expected.

So, good news and bad news last night.

Good:

1.  Parker looked like an NFL WR1.  The one catch was right place, right time - but it was a heads-up play.  Brock missed him badly at least twice on long gains, one of which was a wide open 65 yard TD that an NFL QB that doesnt suck should hit on 9/10 times.  

2.  Drake looked good.

3.  Nice play call on the Amendola pass to Drake.  Beautiful pass by Amendola.

4.  Kicker was down the middle on every kick.  Looks like we may have a kicker.

5.  I think Howard did a nice job on Hopkins for the most part.  I dont think the 49 yarder was in Howard's coverage, and aside from that and the short late TD, he was pretty much kept in check.  May have a shut-down corner coming into his own right before our eyes.

Bad:

1.  Brock.  Ewwwwwwwww.  Should have been worse because to me, that was a fumble.  He is an average back up QB, nothing more.  No surprise there.

2.  Gase opting to kick a FG down 15 with 7ish minutes left in the game.  Still needed 2 TDS.  It was a 4th and 3 or 4, and either way you still need to score 2 TDs.  Was an absolutely disgustingly poor decision, and the last thing I needed to see to convince me that he is not head coach material.  That was play-calling 101, and there is no excuse in my opinion for that decision.  I love to stay open minded and understand what the other side was thinking.  In this case, I dont think there is an argument that makes sense for that call.  4th and 10, I can see an argument, although I would still have gone for it.  Anything under 4th and 5 is a no-brainer.

3.  The Defense stinks.  Lamar Miller stinks and he looked like Todd Gurley.  Watson has been held pretty much in check this season by most defenses - erupts for 5 TDs against us.  We cant seem to stop the run or the pass right now.  Not a great formula for success when you also dont have a QB that can keep you in shoot-outs.

Overal despite the bad beating on the scoreboard there was enough good to come out of this to provide some optimism for the future (not this season, the more distant future).  Clear to me that we need to draft a QB early, and need to at least consider a coaching change next season if this one continues to tank as I suspect it will.  A Raiders-like rebuild may be in order, but I think we have more solid pieces to build around than the Raiders have.  Regardless, its going to be a while before we are a relevant contender, and even if Brady retires after this season we will still not be ready to truly contend with them for a division title.  We are a ways away.

the defense was depressing yet again.  Burke shouldn't make it past the bye. 

TJ McDonald routinely take really bad angles.  Almost every big run he's had a part in.  

If the D continues to be bad, they should ratchet up the trickeration.  

I missed the game last night but any coach who actually kicks the FG in that situation should be fired on the spot.  Did he questioned by the media?  What could his response possibly have been?  Brain fart is the only thing I can think of.

I missed the game last night but any coach who actually kicks the FG in that situation should be fired on the spot.  Did he questioned by the media?  What could his response possibly have been?  Brain fart is the only thing I can think of.
Chargers coach did the exact same thing...down 15 mid 4th kick a fg??? Awful decision

Dolphins fan rejoice at this miraculous play.

Let’s call it:

The Hook and Lateral....then another Lateral Part Deux

Sitting at 7-6 and finish with the Vikings, Jags, and Bills.  Very outside shot to make the playoffs here, but I just want them to finish strong by beating the teams they should beat (Jags and Bills).  Gase/Tannehill are playing for their jobs.  Earn it.

What a nutty game.  9 lead changes.  pats blunder the end of the half.  neat stat ... Ryan Tannehill only QB to beat Brady 4x.  

That finish... I'll remember that for the rest of my life.  

Users who are viewing this thread