What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Miami Dolphins Thread*** Bye, Gase (1 Viewer)

I've never been less excited about a draft from a Fins perspective.  Excited for the draft for fantasy reasons...not so much for actual fan reasons.  

Seeing a lot of mocks recently that have Josh Rosen falling out of the top 10.  Think he gets past us at 11?  Wouldnt be a terrible scenario to let him sit behind 17 this season, and then hopefully take over next year.  If 17 all of a sudden becomes a franchise QB this year, we have a few options moving forward...but that ship has likely sailed at this point, making this potentially an opportunity to get a franchise-changing player.

In looking at the recent trends of super bowl winners having QBs that are on rookie deals or signed below market deals, I'd prefer to plug holes ... specifically on defense.  I'm all for drafting another QB, hell draft one every year.  I really would like the Dolphins to finally be able to cover a TE.

I'd love 1: Minkah/Derwin 2: Shaq Griffin LB UCF 3: Andrews TE OU  then draft iDL and QB in the 4th.  or wait and draft Luis Perez QB

That's a long shot, for sure. 

Rosen falling to 11 and being able to get him without trading up would be a dream. I have always liked 17, but I don’t think he’s a difference making franchise QB. Time to find our guy. 

This news would indicate that the Fins are most definitely considering drafting a QB early this year...

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Dolphins have assured Ryan Tannehill (knee) he will start in 2018 even if they draft a quarterback in the first round.

Pelissero reports the Dolphins would consider moving up if a quarterback begins to slip, but the "smart money says they stand pat at 11 [and] take the best available defensive player." Miami was strongly linked with Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield early in the draft process, but it looks like he will come off the board well before their pick, perhaps even No. 1 overall. Tannehill was having his best season as a pro before going down with a knee injury late in 2016, and that same knee caused him to miss all of 2017. With uncertainty about Tannehill's health and ability to be a top-flight quarterback, it makes sense for the Dolphins to grab one of the premier quarterbacks if they can.

Pretty excited to see what Burke can do with Minkah!!

Excited we should be able to cover TEs!!! And come off the field on third down. 

Wonder if they would have grabbed Rosen had AZ not jumped up.

Still...happy with the pick.

Wonder if they would have grabbed Rosen had AZ not jumped up.

Still...happy with the pick.
Seems like that Rose would have fallen further per the beat writers at least.  Fits with the "culture" spin coming out of Gase.

But, yeah, Minkah is clearly the best fit for the defense and should have gone earlier.

I would have went Edmunds, I think LB is underrated by the NFL these days. Hopefully this kid becomes the next Woodson but I think we needed our next ZT.

I would have went Edmunds, I think LB is underrated by the NFL these days. Hopefully this kid becomes the next Woodson but I think we needed our next ZT.
Don't forget Raekwon McMillan.  He was impressive leading up to the first preseason game... losing he and Tony Lippett before the first game set the Defense back something fierce.   

I think Rosen will be the best QB out of this draft and am glad NYJ and BUF passed on him.  But for Miami, I can't argue with getting the best OL in the draft in 2016 and the best DB in the draft this year without trading into the top 10 either year.  Would like to see Miami hit on some 2-5th round players that can step in and play (LB, TE, OL).  Build up the talent level, and then if Tannehill is not the answer go find the QB.  

I think Rosen will be the best QB out of this draft and am glad NYJ and BUF passed on him.  But for Miami, I can't argue with getting the best OL in the draft in 2016 and the best DB in the draft this year without trading into the top 10 either year.  Would like to see Miami hit on some 2-5th round players that can step in and play (LB, TE, OL).  Build up the talent level, and then if Tannehill is not the answer go find the QB.  
I agree with this philosophy...build the team, once the talent is there, find a QB you love and pursue aggressively.  (see eagles)  

everyone and their mother knows Miami is looking at TE's wouldn't be surprised to see someone move ahead and take Goedert 

I can't say that I know these players and how they'll pan out but I like the needs they've addressed so far.

After the first two days the Dolphins, seemingly, now have the ability to cover TEs using different personnel and have a dynamic TE that teams have to plan for.

Excited to see what two 4s bring. 

A very good draft overall.  Most grades I've seen are in the A-/B+ range, and I agree.

Pros:  Minkah sliding to #11 was a steal, he will address the glaring weakness Miami had in defending TEs and RBs out of the backfield. He is a field general and I could easily see him making some Pro-Bowls. Gesicki could finally give the playmaker at TE that Miami lacked.  Adding a blocking TE is Smythe was very smart too.

Cons:  DT was, in my view, the biggest hole Miami had coming into the draft.  I worry about the run defense, which has been poor for years.  Would have liked to see a QB taken at some point.  An injury to Tannehill, Godchaux, or Phillips and this season would go sideways fast.  However, Ballage is really the only pick I questioned.  Taking a DT or QB there would have turned this into a home run.

The last 5 parts were posted, good stuff for sure. 

The Minkah tidbit confirms my excitement, there’s no reason why the Defense isn’t considerably better. (Which shouldn’t be hard) 

Don't get sucked in.  That will only make it hurt more.  The future is always dim.
I get it.  for sure.  I'm almost numb to the pain after this many years...

I'm not thinking super bowl, but unless 17 gets hurt again I'm thinking the over on bovada's 6 wins seems easily doable.  If he does get hurt, it'll be a long season and they'll be drafting really early next year.   

Before the cuts today 22 of the last 23 draft picks were on the roster.  Not so anymore...

Moving up to get Carroo represents a huge miss, big guy with good hands I kinda thought he’d do something in the league. Hurt and lack of productivity not surprised he was cut. 

Am surprised that neither Ford nor Owusu made it. Not sure about Tankersly vs Lippett. Hope tank gets his confidence back he showed promise. 

They currently have both Brock and Fales on the squad. Ya gotta thin one’s a placeholder for DL or LB depth.  

I thought it was interesting to hear that Gase wanted Falk and was glad to get him.

I was unimpressed in preseason.

What's the QB Guru got up his sleeve?

Bri said:
I thought it was interesting to hear that Gase wanted Falk and was glad to get him.

I was unimpressed in preseason.

What's the QB Guru got up his sleeve?
Agree, I hope they take a look and he wasn't solely signed for Tennessee info.  I think they know what they have in Brock and Fales.

One thing that was interesting was Gase giving up the playcalling to Loggains for a game and we saw a more diverse offense.  Wonder how much Gase was holding back during preseason.  He did say Gesicki would have a bigger role from the get go.  

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
I don't follow the Fins but if you bring Marino with you to meet a QB prospect, that must be significant.

I would be very comfy with Gase and Marino's combined opinion. If Falk stinks, then I'd still be OK with it. Just some guys don't pan out.

The air raid has a horrible history but we're about to see Mahomes maybe change that. 

Tangent but I always think NFL should hire Leach as a QB coach. They have evidence of him making greatness out of lesser QBs. What more could they want

What do you think of the matchup? I think Fins WRs have an awful matchup so at some point the Titans are just gonna move the ball better. 

We're short a safety but otherwise have a top secondary.

What do you think of the matchup? I think Fins WRs have an awful matchup so at some point the Titans are just gonna move the ball better. 

From what I understand, Vrabel hasn't shown anything of note in the preseason and I know that Gase has been extremely vanilla... so that makes these early games hard to predict.   

I really think it'll come down to Miami stopping the run. New coach/system for Tennessee, Dolphins are home dogs and Gase is feeling confident, I like the Dolphins chances in a tight game (and the under).

• Smile
Reactions: Bri

I think between Henry and Walker.....we will be gashed in the run and down the middle with the TE. Our defense is highly suspect.

I am going to say we will probably have a 7 win season 8 tops. But could be as bad as 6-10. 

Our OL is still a big point of weakness, Devante Parker is a bonafide bust. We have no big play ability outside of Kenyan Drake (who I love ) and occasionally Kenny Stills.

Albert Wilson I think was a very solid signing. Hard working kid. I think he will show well throughout the season. Amendola will be Tannehill's favorite target. I would love to see Geiseki develop into a true stretch TE. Remains to be seen and it may take a few years for him to fully develop (ala Zach Ertz).

Can’t wait to see how Baker and McMillian play together along with Fitzpatrick.

Buckle up Fins fans......it will be another long season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Early September games in Miami are a huge advantage for the home team that is used to the heat and humidity conditions.  The last 3 years (and 4 of the last 5) the Dolphins have started Road-Road.  The league does seem to be avoiding scheduling early season games in Miami, especially with teams that are not used to the conditions (2017 would have been Tampa had it not been postponed).   The only early-September home game between 2013 and 2017 was in 2014 versus New England, a game New England led 20-10 at halftime and then totally ran out of gas in the second half.   

I looked back to 2008 and there was one other case of Road-Road start (2010) and two cases of an early September home game in primetime MNF (2011, 2009), rather than a 1 pm start.  The last time Miami lost an early September home game with a daylight start time was 2008 (Jets).   I think Miami has a pretty good shot in the opener.

6-10 in 2017 with Cutler Moore and Fales under center, OL coach doing Tony Montana impersonation, yada yada yada

This year I think it'll be 9-7.  More wins if they stay healthy and things align.  If 17 goes down, I'll start paying attn to the QBs coming out in earnest. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread