What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Miami Dolphins Thread*** Bye, Gase (1 Viewer)

What a nutty game.  9 lead changes.  pats blunder the end of the half.  neat stat ... Ryan Tannehill only QB to beat Brady 4x.  

That finish... I'll remember that for the rest of my life.  
Indeed. There have been some very memorable finishes in Dolphins history. This will rank as the greatest and most unlikely finish (for a win) ever.

The original Hook and Ladder play came at the end of the half vs the Chargers in that all time classic playoff game vs the Chargers in 1981.

The fake spike (for the win) vs the Jets by Marino was pretty insane.

The Long Marino to Duper TD pass in 1985 with 51 seconds left vs The Jets  was amazing.

But this play? I was jumping up and down and screaming like a kid as the play unfolded. It was simply a magical NFL moment. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. There have been some very memorable finishes in Dolphins history. This will rank as the greatest and most unlikely finish (for a win) ever.

The original Hook and Ladder play came at the end of the half vs the Chargers in that all time classic playoff game vs the Chargers. I was at that game. Will never forget it.

The fake spike vs the Jets by Marino was pretty insane.

The Long Marino to Duper TD pass in 1985 with 51 seconds left vs The Jets (I was there for that too) was amazing.

But this play? I was jumping up and down and screaming like a kid as the play unfolded. It was simply a magical NFL moment. 

I remember every one of those plays as well ...  they're etched in the memory banks. 

I was 12 for that Dolphins Chargers game and distinctly remember the kick to the gut.  Fouts is an awful announcer but I'm definitely biased.

Here is what I believe and what direction the team should go in.

Get a brand new front office in there. We need a far better GM and scouting department.

Retain Gase.

Retain Tannehill for his last season on his contract.

Resign Kenyon Drake and work him to be part of a two back attack with Ballage. It would work well.

Allow our OL to get healthy. We made two key pickups and lost them for the season.

Draft a QB or two. Until we hit on a true franchise QB.

1st rounder needs to be in order either:

QB

WR

CB

DE

LOLB

DT

Parker is a bum. Show him the door. Albert Wilson is a gamer and will be an amazing weapon. He was a huge loss this season. Stills......not a fan. Amendola can give us another year. TE is a huge question mark in terms of will Gesiki develop.

I don't think Gase is a bad coach. But his playcalling at times is horrendous IMO. Maybe consider bringing in a true OC so Gase can focus on both side of the ball and be a head coach and not a HC/OC I think he is overwhelmed. 

But seriously, our front office has been a train wreck for over a decade. Just piss poor draft after piss poor draft as left our team in purgatory. 

And I am not feeling good about this weeks game in Minny. They very well may light up our defense for easily over 31 points and smother our offense. Not looking good guys.

And I am not feeling good about this weeks game in Minny. They very well may light up our defense for easily over 31 points and smother our offense. Not looking good guys.
Good call.

It is pretty obvious they are going to finish 8-8.  A close win against Jacksonville and be eliminated via other teams winning and then mail it in week 17 @Buffalo.  

We can blame injuries for a lot of things.  The early season quick screen game with Grant and Wilson was clearly set up by Gase knowing the OL is not going to be good and once the OL and then the WRs got decimated, there was little hope of getting anything clicking, especially against good defenses and good teams on the road (which Minnesota has).  I think Gase will be back for 4th season, but the seat will certainly be hot.  He can't come back with the same bland scheme and the same shallow depth.  Assistants have to change.  Any changes in the front office would probably be welcome, right down to a complete front office overhaul (which would obviously put Gase on a even hotter seat going into 2019).

I really don't care if Tannehill is the answer (he probably isn't), there is too much need on the team to mortgage their assets into a weak draft trying to reach for a QB to put into a system that he will be designed to fail in if the line/offensive system is not addressed.  He's back next year.  Maybe with a FA or mid round draft pick as competition.  Osweiler and Fales have to go as they have no future here.  The team has to be rebuilt from the trenches first.  OL and DL.  As unglamorous as this may be, a draft like 1990 (Richmond Webb/Keith Sims) is probably what the team needs.   I could see DL (first round depth this year is strong)/OL/OL with first three picks.

Man the Dolphins have made a generation out of teasing there fans into thinking maybe they're actually kind of decent before crushing their soulds, but this year has been particularly ridiculous.  Usually it's just a matter of them doing it every year, but this year they've done it multiple times.

Start 3-0 while Pats start off slow, then put up pathetic showing against NE to remind us they are who we thought they were.

Get back in the playoff hunt, have a 2 score lead late in the 4th quarter of a key game against the Colts that would solidify their playoff hopes, then blow the lead without picking up a 1st down in the last 10 minutes of the game.  Playoffs look like a longshot at this point.

Then magically everyone else loses games they were supposed to win and we get the Miami miracle and are back alive, only to put up this freaking dud to finally finish us off.

I think Gase will be back for 4th season, but the seat will certainly be hot.  He can't come back with the same bland scheme and the same shallow depth.  Assistants have to change. 
I'm on board with jettisoning Tannebaum.  Hiring an established DC and scrapping the wide nine and I'd be elated.  

They have Falk for a development project... but Kyler Murray is a QB I wouldn't mind if they went up and grabbed.  

If they do fall in love with a QB, my preference go up and get him and pull an Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes ... sit the rookie for a year and trade Tannehill.    

Setting up another offseason where Miami sheds talent as both Reshad Jones and Kenyan Drake are being treated poorly by the very stubborn Gase.  On one hand, Gase deserves credit for the fight this team has.  On the other hand, players that don't seem to "buy into" the culture are run off.  Unfortunately, these players are always the most talented players.  Compounding the negative aspect is that both offensive and defensive playcalling is very poor.  Gase is directly to blame for the former.

I just don't see any progress in maturing and learning from these shortcomings.

Even if they keep Gase, they need a GM that can bring him to heel. 

If they do fall in love with a QB, my preference go up and get him and pull an Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes ... sit the rookie for a year and trade Tannehill.    
There is zero chance anyone is trading for Tannehill. He is owed 25 million dollars in 2020. 

Miami should cut him. They would save 13 million in 2019 cutting him, and 19 million in 2020

Sign a guy like Winston to a 3 year deal and draft a QB, or wait to draft a QB until 2020 when the class is better. Regardless, Miami should rid themselves of Tannehill's awful contract. 

There is zero chance anyone is trading for Tannehill. He is owed 25 million dollars in 2020. 

Miami should cut him. They would save 13 million in 2019 cutting him, and 19 million in 2020

Sign a guy like Winston to a 3 year deal and draft a QB, or wait to draft a QB until 2020 when the class is better. Regardless, Miami should rid themselves of Tannehill's awful contract. 
Yeah....that contract reeks. Gotta cut bait and save the cash for sure. Not so sure about Winston....but he could be a stop gap....or go get Tyrod Taylor if he is cut loose by the Browns. Much better leader than Winston and his weird persona and antics. 

bring in Rex Ryan as DC. Matt Burke has to go.
Sexy Rexy.

I will tell you....the Jets always played their hearts out for him. Agree about Burke as well. New front office, new direction for a QB (hopefully via the draft in 2020 or get lucky in 2019 and get a sleeper who no one saw coming hence getting a better GM and scouting department), they need OL, DL, CB seriously......they need a makeover period. Again this is the result of just horrid drafting for a decade and a half.

Here is what I believe and what direction the team should go in.

Get a brand new front office in there. We need a far better GM and scouting department.

Retain Gase.

Retain Tannehill for his last season on his contract.

Resign Kenyon Drake and work him to be part of a two back attack with Ballage. It would work well.

Allow our OL to get healthy. We made two key pickups and lost them for the season.

Draft a QB or two. Until we hit on a true franchise QB.

1st rounder needs to be in order either:

QB

WR

CB

DE

LOLB

DT

Parker is a bum. Show him the door. Albert Wilson is a gamer and will be an amazing weapon. He was a huge loss this season. Stills......not a fan. Amendola can give us another year. TE is a huge question mark in terms of will Gesiki develop.

I don't think Gase is a bad coach. But his playcalling at times is horrendous IMO. Maybe consider bringing in a true OC so Gase can focus on both side of the ball and be a head coach and not a HC/OC I think he is overwhelmed. 

But seriously, our front office has been a train wreck for over a decade. Just piss poor draft after piss poor draft as left our team in purgatory. 

I agree with this except for the Gase part.  He is not good.  They are not going anywhere with this guy. 

elmanx said:
I agree with this except for the Gase part.  He is not good.  They are not going anywhere with this guy. 
I am not a fan......but he has never had “his” guy at QB. He inherited Tannehill and his contract. 

I am willing to see if given better talent can he do the job. But like you I am skeptical. Not a big fan.

Let’s put it this way.....nothing has been good down here since Shula was forced into retirement. And if we really want to pin point the start of a long line of frustration....it began with the Dave Wandstad era. He inherited a really nice defense, and this team gave the keys to Jay Fiedler (who ironically was the last decent QB we had LMFAO), we passed on Drew Brees not once.....but twice. Saban was a un-mitigated disaster. Just one mistake after another both in the front office and Head Coach department. Horrendous drafting. Just horrendous. 

4 post season appearances since 2000. Four. 3 first round exits. 

I am not a fan......but he has never had “his” guy at QB. He inherited Tannehill and his contract. 

I am willing to see if given better talent can he do the job. But like you I am skeptical. Not a big fan.

Let’s put it this way.....nothing has been good down here since Shula was forced into retirement. And if we really want to pin point the start of a long line of frustration....it began with the Dave Wandstad era. He inherited a really nice defense, and this team gave the keys to Jay Fiedler (who ironically was the last decent QB we had LMFAO), we passed on Drew Brees not once.....but twice. Saban was a un-mitigated disaster. Just one mistake after another both in the front office and Head Coach department. Horrendous drafting. Just horrendous. 

4 post season appearances since 2000. Four. 3 first round exits. 
Cutler wasn't "his" guy?

Time to start anew.  This front office needs to be gone.  The coaching staff that couldn't beat the Jags or Buffalo need to be gone.

A total house cleaning is going to ensue.......again.

Until we get a real deal QB.....it does not matter who coaches. We need a great front office to get this team back on it's feet from the 18 years of absolute garbage we have endured. 18 years and counting now since Marino retired. 23 years since the great Don Shula was run out for Jimmy Johnson (who never really endeared himself to Dolphins fans despite leaving a really good defense for Wandstash). 

Anyway,  it seems like forever since we had a really entertaining team to watch. And that is what it comes down too. They have simply been painful to watch....even when we had some winning years it was ugly football. 

Here is hoping to better things for us life long Fins fans.

A total house cleaning is going to ensue.......again.

Until we get a real deal QB.....it does not matter who coaches. We need a great front office to get this team back on it's feet from the 18 years of absolute garbage we have endured. 18 years and counting now since Marino retired. 23 years since the great Don Shula was run out for Jimmy Johnson (who never really endeared himself to Dolphins fans despite leaving a really good defense for Wandstash). 

Anyway,  it seems like forever since we had a really entertaining team to watch. And that is what it comes down too. They have simply been painful to watch....even when we had some winning years it was ugly football. 

Here is hoping to better things for us life long Fins fans.
AWESOME Posting.

I keep telling my die hard fin fans that until we get a difference maker behind center this team is resigned to going nowhere. You can't win in this league without one.....

AWESOME Posting.

I keep telling my die hard fin fans that until we get a difference maker behind center this team is resigned to going nowhere. You can't win in this league without one.....
Yep...you watch teams like The Browns, Ravens, Bears, Bills, Jets, Eagles, Texans etc what do they all have? Promising young QB's.

We have been whiffing on QB's ever since Marino retired. Painful.

I think the Dolphins played better than their talent.  Not sure if Gase deserved to be fired.   If anything, fire the GM. 

I'll start by saying this.  I think Adam Gase was the best coach we have had since Jimmy Johnson (granted that is not saying much).  His success in close games (some due to luck) with a team that way short on talent is beyond that just being a coincidence.  However, it is clear that he lost the locker room/players, and with that you have to fire him and move on.   I will not be shocked if he shows up as a HC in 4-5 years and possibly has a great deal of success having learned how to better relate with players.  

This team has a talent deficit at key areas that needs to be made up.  QB.  OL.  DL.  WR.  And depth is a problem almost across the board.  Hopefully the GM will recognize this and not use draft capital moving up to get a QB that is not there in the 2019 draft.  Or maybe even worse using it to get a recycled coach (John Harbaugh).  This is rebuild mode.  Start with the trenches.  Hold your nose in 2019 season.  Run Luke Falk or a mid round pick from this year's draft out there to see what you have.  And then get a QB in a deeper draft in 2020 when you don't have to move up as far.

I'll start by saying this.  I think Adam Gase was the best coach we have had since Jimmy Johnson (granted that is not saying much).  His success in close games (some due to luck) with a team that way short on talent is beyond that just being a coincidence.  However, it is clear that he lost the locker room/players, and with that you have to fire him and move on.   I will not be shocked if he shows up as a HC in 4-5 years and possibly has a great deal of success having learned how to better relate with players.  

This team has a talent deficit at key areas that needs to be made up.  QB.  OL.  DL.  WR.  And depth is a problem almost across the board.  Hopefully the GM will recognize this and not use draft capital moving up to get a QB that is not there in the 2019 draft.  Or maybe even worse using it to get a recycled coach (John Harbaugh).  This is rebuild mode.  Start with the trenches.  Hold your nose in 2019 season.  Run Luke Falk or a mid round pick from this year's draft out there to see what you have.  And then get a QB in a deeper draft in 2020 when you don't have to move up as far.
I don't know if Gase was the best coach since JJ.  I'd say Philbin was the worst and all others were about equally inept, but if you want to put Gase at the top of that scrap heap, then I won't argue with you. 

I also don't know why anyone thinks that Gase is a good coach.  His most impressive coaching experience was Denver OC with Peyton Manning in Denver.   Any OC would look good in that situtation. 

On the other hand there are very few coaches that I look at and think, "That's a good coach", so I suppose Gase is like most of them.  Mediocre, but not abjectly horrible. 

I actually like Harbaugh.  I think he would be a fantastic hire, but I don't see him leaving Michigan. 

I also think that GM and ownership are bigger problems than the coach.  And the main problem is the latter.  The main reason we had Tannenbaum is because no decent GM wanted to work for this group of dysfunctional owners.  So you get a bad GM and then everything downstream of that is bad too.  My fear is that until we get new owners this team is doomed to mediocrity. 

Did some looking at the cap situation and wanted to sketch out how a rebuild could look.  Luckily there is more talent on this team than it is getting credit for.  Howard, Jones, Minkah, and Tunsil are all top players that can be built around.  I think Drake could reach that level too:

Miami currently has a projected $18mm in 2019 cap space

Cut Tannehill as a post June 1 and add $19mm

Cut Devante Parker and save $9mm

Cut Danny Amendola and save $6mm

Cut Robert Quinn and save almost $13mm

The last two could be restructured, but this would put Miami at $66mm of cap space.  A good amount.

Next step is to look at the impending free agents.  Older players like Gore, Wake, and Hayes are all prospects to resign on a cheap deal....but they are not necessary for a rebuild.

Ju'Wuan James has been a decent starting RT.  Resign him for around ~$5mm a year which is about the going rate for an average RT

Xavien Howard is a lock down corner and he hits the market next year.  They shouldn't wait around and lock him up now.  Try to get something in the regions of $12mm.  Extending Tunsil should also be a thought.

Priorities from here are QB, DL, CB, and OL in that order.  I would like to see both a competent starter brought in at quarterback.  There are plenty that will be on the market this year (Flacco, Dalton, Foles, Bridgewater, Fitzmagic, and more?)  Taking the Keenen deal as a proxy, we are talking $18-$20mm a year on a one to two year deal.

There is still money to put to use in Free Agency, but how active should a rebuilding team really be?  I think Miami needs to add at least one starter on the DL before the draft. Just only have Andre Branch and Godchaux who are good enough to start.  May need to bring back Hayes/Wake or extend Quinn here.  I thought Quinn played really well at times.  Probably going to see a transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 as most defenses do.  I'm not sure how the 3 linebackers today fit into that system. 

A starting outside CB could also be a big add.  Free agency money on OL or WR would be a hard spend.  Sitton and Kilgore's injuries were killer, but I think it is a good line if healthy.

Draft:  Invest in the trenches. Best linemen/pass rushers available for your first pick.  Identify a QB with upside in round 2-5 and get one of them.  Spend the rest of the picks prioritizing interior OL, DL at large, and a bigger bodied WR to go with the speed Stills/Wilson/Grant bring.

That team could compete with the right QB and throws two darts at it.  If not, go after a QB higher in the 2020 draft, probably in a costly way

Good riddance to Gase.  He quit on the team and made some piss poor decisions down the stretch.  Sure they had a slew on injuries, the road home split is absurd and that's on coaching and preparation.  Evidently he had a falling out with Ross. 

Tannebaum being out of the football side makes me happy.  Grier as a GM doesn't upset me.  Ross essentially saying tanking for 2 years is ok makes me happy. 

RE: new coach... Has to be able to bring in a quality staff.

Slapdash has a good plan laid out. I would simply not overpay for a Flacco or Foles. I don't think Bridgewater can command 18-20MM if so...the NFL owners are lunatics. I would say go bring in Fitzpatrick or a Dalton. Foles and Flacco will command too much money. Dalton might.....but I think you can get a Fitzmagic a lot cheaper as he is at the end of his journeyman career. 

The trenches is absolutely the area of focus. I agree. Also a lock down CB to go with Howard who needs to be locked up. I am still very pissed off this team did not pay Landry. But Landry wanted out so badly.....and now you can all see why. He hated Gase and Tannehill. Felt they were losers. He is now in a much better place with a future star at QB. Parker is a massive bum and I can't wait for him to be cut. He will be forgotten in no time and out of the league within another year.

LB is a huge ? Are McMillan and Baker good prospects? I think they really are actually. They are too young to toss aside just yet. Jones and Fitzpatrick are stalwarts in the secondary along with Howard (lock him up now). And of course a QB to groom. Please do not reach (Tannehill was a massive reach). They could have taken Lamar Jackson and passed along with every other team. They could have had Robert Wilson or even Dak Prescott but this front office has always been inept since Jimmy left. It has been 18 years of absolute garbage drafting and front office decisions.

Look at the picture of success with the Patriots and put aside Brady. They draft and aquire players that fit into their culture. And speaking of team culture. This organization has zero. And that is a huge problem.

Gase spoke of changing the culture. But never had the power needed to get in "his guys". That is another issue. The Front Office and Head Coach need to be on the exact same page or nothing will ever work. Pure dysfunction here in Miami for 18 years and counting.

Did some looking at the cap situation and wanted to sketch out how a rebuild could look.  Luckily there is more talent on this team than it is getting credit for.  Howard, Jones, Minkah, and Tunsil are all top players that can be built around.  I think Drake could reach that level too:

Miami currently has a projected $18mm in 2019 cap space

Cut Tannehill as a post June 1 and add $19mm

Cut Devante Parker and save $9mm

Cut Danny Amendola and save $6mm

Cut Robert Quinn and save almost $13mm

The last two could be restructured, but this would put Miami at $66mm of cap space.  A good amount.

Next step is to look at the impending free agents.  Older players like Gore, Wake, and Hayes are all prospects to resign on a cheap deal....but they are not necessary for a rebuild.

Ju'Wuan James has been a decent starting RT.  Resign him for around ~$5mm a year which is about the going rate for an average RT

Xavien Howard is a lock down corner and he hits the market next year.  They shouldn't wait around and lock him up now.  Try to get something in the regions of $12mm.  Extending Tunsil should also be a thought.

Priorities from here are QB, DL, CB, and OL in that order.  I would like to see both a competent starter brought in at quarterback.  There are plenty that will be on the market this year (Flacco, Dalton, Foles, Bridgewater, Fitzmagic, and more?)  Taking the Keenen deal as a proxy, we are talking $18-$20mm a year on a one to two year deal.

There is still money to put to use in Free Agency, but how active should a rebuilding team really be?  I think Miami needs to add at least one starter on the DL before the draft. Just only have Andre Branch and Godchaux who are good enough to start.  May need to bring back Hayes/Wake or extend Quinn here.  I thought Quinn played really well at times.  Probably going to see a transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 as most defenses do.  I'm not sure how the 3 linebackers today fit into that system. 

A starting outside CB could also be a big add.  Free agency money on OL or WR would be a hard spend.  Sitton and Kilgore's injuries were killer, but I think it is a good line if healthy.

Draft:  Invest in the trenches. Best linemen/pass rushers available for your first pick.  Identify a QB with upside in round 2-5 and get one of them.  Spend the rest of the picks prioritizing interior OL, DL at large, and a bigger bodied WR to go with the speed Stills/Wilson/Grant bring.

That team could compete with the right QB and throws two darts at it.  If not, go after a QB higher in the 2020 draft, probably in a costly way
I can't really argue against any of this plan. In no way should they go after Foles, that would be the one move that would push me over the edge. I like the idea of Dalton, Fitzmagic or Bridgewater as the caretaker and if someone you like falls in 2019 ok if not be ok with a 3 or 4 win season and grab one in next years draft that has a better crop.

According to Barry Jackson of Miami Herald, the Dolphins would "prefer" to trade S Reshad Jones.

Jones skipped OTAs, though he's expected to report for the start of mandatory minicamp on Tuesday. Per Jackson, the Dolphins don't view Jones as a "longterm piece" and would love to get his $17 million cap hit off the books. The 31-year-old has been in the doghouse since an incident last year when he refused to go back in the game after being demoted to a rotation role. The disgruntled safety is signed through 2021.

As much as it would stink seeing Jones in a different jersery, it's seems like the right thing to do.  

a little nutty there are two different threads on the Dolphins and neither is very busy.

If you want an internship with the Dolphins they have an opening in their analytic department.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/StatsbyLopez/status/1136270611297263616

Michael Lopez‏ @StatsbyLopez

NFL analytics jobs alert: the Dolphins are hiring a season long intern https://www.teamworkonline.com/football-jobs/footballjobs/miami-dolphins/football-analytics-staff-assistant-intern-1958447 …

6:56 AM - 5 Jun 2019

After seeing Gase hold onto Burke forever it’s a little refreshing to see Flores part with Flaherty so quickly. 

Let’s hope DeGuglielmo can get the line sorted out  

hispeedthinmint said:
Any updates on Gesicki?
Omar Kelly‏ @OmarKelly

So it appears Nick O’Leary is the new starting tight end. Makes sense since he looked the best in week one.

8:23 AM - 30 Jul 2019

John Daigle @notJDaigle

Have read this elsewhere, as well. Mike Gesicki has still reportedly performed poorly in blocking drills despite bulking up to 253 (up from 240) in an attempt to not get mauled in-line. Potentially puts him behind Dwayne Allen when the vet returns, too.

https://twitter.com/notJDaigle/status/1156226535155781634

Shane Day, the Dolphins’ tight end coach last year, praised Gesicki but said he must become more consistent in shaking free when single-covered.

this is the most disappointing thing...  hopefully it gets better and the new coach will use him more efficiently 

Users who are viewing this thread