What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (2 Viewers)

A random thought I can’t shake is that it’s going to be You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away. I’m not even sure it’s top 20 for me but it’s like John is speaking to me from beyond. That is of course unless it’s already been eliminated and I missed it. 
I like this pick, NT. It's kinda/sorta off the board, but it meets many of krista's criteria. 👍

Mine stab at it is similar, but probably too obvious - "Ticket To Ride"

I like this pick, NT. It's kinda/sorta off the board, but it meets many of krista's criteria. 👍

Sheesh, I'm speaking Mennonite today. "Drive My Wagon"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Uruk-Hai said:

Ticket to ride is one of my favorites.   Love the feel and I think it's in my top ten.  Choosing my top ten Beatles songs is so difficult that I'm not going to actually try.  

I need a distraction.

141.  I'll Be Back (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Damn beautiful.  Those three-part harmonies...swoon.  I love this structure that has no chorus but two different bridges, and a constant change between major and minor.  Are the major/minor changes meant to represent the waffling feel of the lyrics, such as:

You know, if you break my heart I'll go
But I'll be back again
'Cause I told you once before goodbye
But I came back again

The song is weird and complex and mesmerizing to me.  I'd say 99+% of people who say "I like the Beatles" don't know this song...that just tells you how great they were, for this to be such a forgotten song for them.

Mr. krista:  "That’s a weird song to end that album on.  Songs like that are probably the reason the Beatles are the most popular band of all time.  Those harmonies are so tight.  They have to harmonize and end on all those long vowel sounds.  Maybe it’s just not in my rock wheelhouse.  Oh, you have to harmonize, not just shout and spit."

Suggested cover:  This entire endeavor has been worth it to find this cover, which I hadn't previously heard:  Elliott Smith  Also if you like lady singers, Shawn Colvin
I loved the fact that they originally tried to do this song as a 3/4 waltz (Anthology demo), but John thought it was too hard to sing :lmao: .  Then they immediately adapted like the Borg.  Amazing how fast they transitioned.

By the way, just noticed that the movie Nowhere Boy is on Netflix.  Really good flick.

A random thought I can’t shake is that it’s going to be You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away. I’m not even sure it’s top 20 for me but it’s like John is speaking to me from beyond. That is of course unless it’s already been eliminated and I missed it. 
Listening to Help! again and this would be in contention for my favorite. It has been in my head the last few days following this thread. Honestly my number 1 could change weekly among several songs. Can't imagine doing what Krista has done but glad she did because it has made me revisit lots of great songs.

Tell me you didn’t already post about this song?
We won't be getting to For No One for a bit.  Don't tell me this means you aren't reading every post, though, GB?   :)

Btw, I love reading from so many different people how they're revisiting various songs via this thread, and I also love having conversations with people I haven't interacted with a lot before this.  This thread is a lot of work but so much fun to me.

Today was Grandpa's funeral and I have another long day tomorrow of cleaning out his stuff before heading home Sunday morning.  Then I hope to hit it back in full force.  It's been fun to read about the guesses of my favorites; in a purely selfish way I think about each one in terms of what I've given off personally to make it seem like that might be it.  Every guess has been great because...well, all the songs named have been great.  Duh.  

We won't be getting to For No One for a bit.  Don't tell me this means you aren't reading every post, though, GB?   :)

Btw, I love reading from so many different people how they're revisiting various songs via this thread, and I also love having conversations with people I haven't interacted with a lot before this.  This thread is a lot of work but so much fun to me.

Today was Grandpa's funeral and I have another long day tomorrow of cleaning out his stuff before heading home Sunday morning.  Then I hope to hit it back in full force.  It's been fun to read about the guesses of my favorites; in a purely selfish way I think about each one in terms of what I've given off personally to make it seem like that might be it.  Every guess has been great because...well, all the songs named have been great.  Duh.  
I try to read only the important posts but even then I might miss one or two. 

For No One is for everyone one. I am curious how you rank it.

It was nice to read your post and how upbeat it sounds. Does that mean the family is doing well-given the circumstances? 

I try to read only the important posts but even then I might miss one or two. 

For No One is for everyone one. I am curious how you rank it.

It was nice to read your post and how upbeat it sounds. Does that mean the family is doing well-given the circumstances? 
Yes, thanks for asking.  I worry most about my mom because, like me (or rather I'm like her...and my dad), she is not good at showing vulnerability or reaching out for help.  So I'm trying to do stuff and take care of everything without her needing to ask, and she's also not quite herself and a little foggy due to the suddenness of it.  My (almost) 99-year-old Grandpa has a 97-year-old sister and an 89-year-old sister, and they had some trouble today as well, but they are ridiculously strong women, too.  The minister today kept repeating in the eulogy a quote from my Grandpa:  "Why get angry, if you could be happy instead?"  I realized in my entire life I had never once seen my Grandpa mad at anyone.  We all - and certainly I - would do well to take that to heart.

Yes, thanks for asking.  I worry most about my mom because, like me (or rather I'm like her...and my dad), she is not good at showing vulnerability or reaching out for help.  So I'm trying to do stuff and take care of everything without her needing to ask, and she's also not quite herself and a little foggy due to the suddenness of it.  My (almost) 99-year-old Grandpa has a 97-year-old sister and an 89-year-old sister, and they had some trouble today as well, but they are ridiculously strong women, too.  The minister today kept repeating in the eulogy a quote from my Grandpa:  "Why get angry, if you could be happy instead?"  I realized in my entire life I had never once seen my Grandpa mad at anyone.  We all - and certainly I - would do well to take that to heart.
Great advice by Grandpa.  Glad the minister passed it along.  

I'm exhausted.  This seems like a good time to post some that might cause consternation, because you all have to be nice to me right now. ;)   Coincidentally, the next couple of them probably fit the bill!

139.  Because (Abbey Road, 1969)

Listen, this is unquestionably a great song.  It's placement at #140 isn't a reflection of how masterful it is, but instead a function of (1) its being a song I admire more than love, and (2) the Beatles, man.  There are so many of their songs I find myself wanting to hear more often.

The construction of the song is one of the intriguing aspects; the story goes that John was listening to Yoko play Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata on the piano and used those chords, played backwards, to frame the song.  The lyrics are straightforward, or as John termed them "no bull####."  The real star for me is the three-part harmony that is triple-tracked to make it seem like a choir.  The ending of the song is great.  Haunting, gorgeous...this is a song that when the mood strikes you, there's nothing better.  The mood just doesn't strike me all so often.

Mr. krista:  "I kinda like that song.  Interesting structure.  Seems more like choral music.  When is the last time they did three-part harmonies throughout?  Harpsichord doing a guitar line.  It must have been a ####### ##### to record."

Suggested covers:  Elliott Smith  George Clinton :lol:   I do not suggest the following terrifying cover:  Devo

I'm exhausted.  This seems like a good time to post some that might cause consternation, because you all have to be nice to me right now. ;)   Coincidentally, the next couple of them probably fit the bill!

140.  Because (Abbey Road, 1969)

Listen, this is unquestionably a great song.  It's placement at #140 isn't a reflection of how masterful it is, but instead a function of (1) its being a song I admire more than love, and (2) the Beatles, man.  There are so many of their songs I find myself wanting to hear more often.

The construction of the song is one of the intriguing aspects; the story goes that John was listening to Yoko play Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata on the piano and used those chords, played backwards, to frame the song.  The lyrics are straightforward, or as John termed them "no bull####."  The real star for me is the three-part harmony that is triple-tracked to make it seem like a choir.  The ending of the song is great.  Haunting, gorgeous...this is a song that when the mood strikes you, there's nothing better.  The mood just doesn't strike me all so often.

Mr. krista:  "I kinda like that song.  Interesting structure.  Seems more like choral music.  When is the last time they did three-part harmonies throughout?  Harpsichord doing a guitar line.  It must have been a ####### ##### to record."

Suggested covers:  Elliott Smith  George Clinton :lol:   I do not suggest the following terrifying cover:  Devo
Not a fan. This would have been better served cut in half and part of Side Two's medley.

I dunno, castrato singing ain't my cup of Sambuca.

140.  Because (Abbey Road, 1969)

I've a sense that this simple lyric is related to more than hippie bliss. It reminds me of the late, great contrarian Christopher Hitchens' stock response when asked when he first stopped believing in God. He relates that it was a standard part of Church of England indoctrination in public education to make children grateful to The Almighty as well as The Crown (head of the CoE, of course) in tangible ways such as, on nature walks his early grade teacher would say " "So you see children, how powerful and generous God is. He has made the grass to be green, which is exactly the colour that is most restful to our eyes." He claims that, which was utter nonsense to him even before he knew why, was what first made him suspect his preceptors were feeding him a big fat line and started him down the path which made him one of the more entertaining figures of the turn of the recent century..

I wonder if Lennon, a similar sort of iconoclast from a similar time & place, was reacting to that and so many other colors of herring from his upbringing and "because"s in general with "because the sky is blue, it blows my mind" 

Someone mentioned a few pages back about the miracle of typing in a few words and accessing all kinds of videos from the past.  It’s true.  And when it comes to the Beatles, this might be most miraculous video of them all.  

As far as I know this is the only recorded video performance of the Beatles at the Cavern, August 1962, just after Ringo joined the band.  The world had no idea what was about to come.

By the way, their cover of Some Other Guy is awesome!  Would have been great to get that on an album.

Someone mentioned a few pages back about the miracle of typing in a few words and accessing all kinds of videos from the past.  It’s true.  And when it comes to the Beatles, this might be most miraculous video of them all.  

As far as I know this is the only recorded video performance of the Beatles at the Cavern, August 1962, just after Ringo joined the band.  The world had no idea what was about to come.

By the way, their cover of Some Other Guy is awesome!  Would have been great to get that on an album.
If you look in the right youtube space someone put up a playlist of every song off every album. No live stuff, just the regular releases that our fair hostess has been posting.

You are amazing at finding fantastic videos - bravo.  I'm keeping a list now because as I go through this, I'm focusing on the posts and going back now and then to catch up on the videos.  I don't think it's one you posted, but next on my list will be finally to watch that "What makes Ringo a great drummer" one.  I feel like I need to keep all these in a file somewhere.  Still loving that Swedish TV show one in particular.

@wikkidpissah, almost posted earlier to day to see if anyone had seen you around; you've been missed.   :)  

If I didn't stir up trouble with that last selection, how about a White Album lady-name two-fer?

138.  Martha My Dear (White Album, 1968)

How to make me love a rock or pop song:  add a cello.  Total sucker for a cello.  This song goes further and not only has multiple cellos, but a tuba and, to top it off, Paul wrote this about his sheepdog.   :heart:   :heart:   :heart:   Starting with all that, this should make my top 100, but while it's charming and elegant and in some parts intricate, it's otherwise not interesting enough to make it that high.  But Paul sure did love that sheepdog. 

Mr. krista is less charitable:  "This might be the longest I’ve listened to this song.  More Paul McCartney Masterpiece Theatre music.  Boring-### drawing room music about British people who can’t express themselves and ####. WTF.  Why is that interesting?  Who the #### cares about any of these people?"

Suggested covers:  Punch Brothers  Skip to ~0:53 for the real start of the song.  World Party version is also nice but a bit on-the-nose.

137.  Julia (White Album, 1968)

I've tried over and over to love this as much as other people do, but it still comes back to being middle-of-the-Beatles-pack for me.  Maybe it comes down to what I said in the intro, which is that I'm not sentimental.  At all.  So while this is a lovely song, aspects of which I think are great, it doesn't "move" me that much.  I don't particularly like John's vocal, which sounds too tinny.  What I love the most are the lyrics.  Just looking at the first bits:

Half of what I say is meaningless
But I say it just to reach you, Julia

Julia, Julia, ocean child, calls me
So I sing a song of love, Julia
Julia, seashell eyes, windy smile, calls me
So I sing a song of love, Julia

Her hair of floating sky is shimmering, glimmering
In the sun

What's interesting to me in these lyrics is that he is speaking directly to his mom at the beginning.  He's not talking to us, describing his mother, but pleading directly to her in the opening lines (which were adapted from a Kahlil Gibran poem).  But in the midst of that, he sings "ocean child," which is the translation of...Yoko Ono.  He's interspersing Yoko in with his mother, and he also moves from talking directly to his mother to describing physical characteristics to us - presumably the beautiful poetry of "seashell eyes, windy smile" is meant to refer to Yoko, or is it mother, or is it both?  It all seems possibly Oedipal, or possibly a song of the sorrow of the childhood loss of his mother being overcome with the fullness of his current love for Yoko,  or possibly John telling his mother that he is ok now and can let go of the pain of her loss, or maybe none of this.  Whatever it is, it's clearly something therapeutic for him and lovely for us.

@Mister CIA, I know you're a fan of Lennon's solo work "Mother," so I'm wondering what you think of this?  I find them somewhat similar, though I prefer "Julia."

Mr. krista:  "His voice is sincere…it’s not good.  He’s singing a little out of his range.  It’s kind of a fantasy, I think.  They were poor people, and I don’t think that [beach scene] ever happened for him.  You can hear in his voice that he’s struggling to come to grips.  So with hindsight, and a couple of Beatles biographies, I like it a lot more.  It’s an earnest effort, and he committed to it, so…gahbless."

Suggested cover:  Sean Lennon, because.  

These are two very different songs - both of which would likely be more highly ranked on my list - but I wouldn't take on that kind of gigantic task.  Just too much of back-and-forth in my rankings, I would probably never really be done.  

Martha My Dear - I'm not a big fan of Paul's vaudevillian songs - this one leans hard in that direction but doesn't quite qualify.  I really like the melody and his vocals.  

Julia - this is so quiet, and peaceful - it's the kind of song that is great when you're alone and feeling reflective.  

136.  The Word (Rubber Soul, 1965)

Jesus, we're getting into such great stuff now.  This description by John of his inspiration for this song makes it even better:  "It sort of dawned on me that love was the answer, when I was younger, on the Rubber Soul album. My first expression of it was a song called The Word. The word is 'love', in the good and the bad books that I have read, whatever, wherever, the word is 'love'. It seems like the underlying theme to the universe.  Everything that was worthwhile got dow to this love, love, love thing.  And it is the struggle to love, be loved, and express that (just something about love) that's fantastic."  Whether or not you agree with that sentiment, or possibly even find it simplistic, it seems like a turning point in some of their songwriting and very much of its time.  Led by Paul's bass, this song grooves the hell out, feeling almost Stax-like to me.  You could even argue it has an evangelical preacher sound to it, or maybe I'm imbuing it with too much Memphis sound.  In any case, straight-up FUNK.  Ima gonna go dance now.

Fun fact:  the lyric sheets for this song were covered with psychadelic, colorful drawings, and later Yoko Ono gave this to John Cage for his birthday.  The manuscript was reproduced in Cage's collection called Notations and later donated to Northwestern University along with several other Beatles lyric sheets. 

Mr. krista:  [Shaking his head no.]  "Drums, bass, and guitar are really good, but the lyrics are so ####### dumb."

Suggested cover:  Bettye LaVette.  I happen to like the Shins so am posting this one, but I don't know what Beat Bugs means and just the name irritates me.

@Mister CIA, I know you're a fan of Lennon's solo work "Mother," so I'm wondering what you think of this?  I find them somewhat similar, though I prefer "Julia."

Mr. krista:  "His voice is sincere…it’s not good.  He’s singing a little out of his range.  It’s kind of a fantasy, I think.  They were poor people, and I don’t think that [beach scene] ever happened for him.  You can hear in his voice that he’s struggling to come to grips.  So with hindsight, and a couple of Beatles biographies, I like it a lot more.  It’s an earnest effort, and he committed to it, so…gahbless."

Suggested cover:  Sean Lennon, because.  
Never tied Julia and Mother together, but I wish I had.  I'm with you, Julia could use a pick me up.

These are two very different songs - both of which would likely be more highly ranked on my list - but I wouldn't take on that kind of gigantic task.  Just too much of back-and-forth in my rankings, I would probably never really be done.  

Martha My Dear - I'm not a big fan of Paul's vaudevillian songs - this one leans hard in that direction but doesn't quite qualify.  I really like the melody and his vocals.  

Julia - this is so quiet, and peaceful - it's the kind of song that is great when you're alone and feeling reflective.  
Agreed - it's odd the juxtapositions I've ended up with, such as these two together.  If you take a snapshot of any, say, five songs in my rankings, you'll find such varied music.  Look at this one, for instance:

143.  Boys

144.  The Inner Light

145.  Birthday

146.  Till There Was You

147.  For You Blue

You'd find almost nothing in common among them, but I enjoy them all similarly.  The vastness of their musical catalogue is what makes this exercise so difficult.  If I were an "early Beatles" lover or a "psychadelic Beatles" lover, a "George lover" or a "Paul lover," e.g., it would be more clear.  For better or worse, I'm an "all Beatles" lover.

As the rest of my list indicates, I generally rate the "dance hall" stuff from Paul lower, but Martha My Dear is an exception.  It's more complex and intriguing.  And have I mentioned it's about his sheepdog?

No more countdown tonight.  Tomorrow I spend most of the day getting back from Louisville to Seattle.  When I next post, though, we will have...

🥁🥁🥁🥁🥁

my first (or last) selection from Revolver.

137.  The Word (Rubber Soul, 1965)

Jesus, we're getting into such great stuff now.  This description by John of his inspiration for this song makes it even better:  "It sort of dawned on me that love was the answer, when I was younger, on the Rubber Soul album. My first expression of it was a song called The Word. The word is 'love', in the good and the bad books that I have read, whatever, wherever, the word is 'love'. It seems like the underlying theme to the universe.  Everything that was worthwhile got dow to this love, love, love thing.  And it is the struggle to love, be loved, and express that (just something about love) that's fantastic."  Whether or not you agree with that sentiment, or possibly even find it simplistic, it seems like a turning point in some of their songwriting and very much of its time.  Led by Paul's bass, this song grooves the hell out, feeling almost Stax-like to me.  You could even argue it has an evangelical preacher sound to it, or maybe I'm imbuing it with too much Memphis sound.  In any case, straight-up FUNK.  Ima gonna go dance now.

Fun fact:  the lyric sheets for this song were covered with psychadelic, colorful drawings, and later Yoko Ono gave this to John Cage for his birthday.  The manuscript was reproduced in Cage's collection called Notations and later donated to Northwestern University along with several other Beatles lyric sheets. 

Mr. krista:  [Shaking his head no.]  "Drums, bass, and guitar are really good, but the lyrics are so ####### dumb."

Suggested cover:  Bettye LaVette.  I happen to like the Shins so am posting this one, but I don't know what Beat Bugs means and just the name irritates me.
Mr Krista is spot on.   I can't get past the lyrics.  Never enjoyed this one.

"Because" is a song I really enjoy the sound of.   Love the harmony.

krista4 said:
I'm sorry about your grandfather.  Seems he lived a very nice life.  Go ahead and show the softer side.  At this point, most of us have been there.  Mr R and I spent this evening at his parents' house.  His mother died on the 8th, and we are clearing out her things and deciding what we want to keep.  She was a very organized pack rat.  Why the hell did she keep that crap?  I found her ledger from 1966!  Ghah.  When you keep everything, you keep nothing.  None of it is special that way.

Doing that stuff together and talking about it, makes it both easier and better.

krista4 said:
Having said all that, I don't much like the Beatles.  I've had to listen to that stuff all my life.  Other than a few I do like, the rest is just not for me.  I find the lyrics to be simplistic and bland.

I'm not sure Mr K is correct about the beach, though.  Liverpool is on the coast.  Post-war, beach holidays (incliding day outings) were the thing to do.  Even the poor got their pasty white English selves to the beach, where they turned into bright red lobster people.  Blackpool, in particular, wasn't all that distant.  It has the famous light display, a major arcade, and all the usual tourist things.  Just look at those not-rich people enjoying themselves.

krista4 said:
No more countdown tonight.  Tomorrow I spend most of the day getting back from Louisville to Seattle.  When I next post, though, we will have...

🥁🥁🥁🥁🥁

my first (or last) selection from Revolver.
Safe travels. If you are using the version of the album that contains Dr Robert, then I have a guess for that entry. That tune might replace Savoy Truffle For me,, down in the two hundreds.

krista4 said:
137.  The Word (Rubber Soul, 1965)

As usual Mr K is spot on.  The music is awesome but the lyrics are boring which makes The Word an average Beatles song.  Of course, average songs by the Beatles are stil good.  

When you keep everything, you keep nothing.  None of it is special that way.
Great point.  

I’m sorry for your and Mr. R’s loss.

Safe travels. If you are using the version of the album that contains Dr Robert, then I have a guess for that entry. That tune might replace Savoy Truffle For me,, down in the two hundreds.
Yes, I’m using the British versions.  

In case anyone wants to keep track, in the second post I listed all the songs I’d be ranking, divvied up by album, plus an entry for the singles, etc that weren’t on UK album releases.

Safe travels, ma'am
I started off strongly:  was sitting at the gate when my Hertz receipt came through, showing a $250 extra charge for not returning the key.  Looked in my purse and found that I had their key, but had left behind my Subaru key with them.  Had to go all the way back out to the rental car lot to execute the switch.  Luckily SDF is a small airport.  I need sleep.

:doh:  

Users who are viewing this thread