What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (2 Viewers)

I'm still kind of surprised that you're 70 songs into this (a third of the way done!) and the only three I feel strongly about are Mr. Kite, Rocky Raccoon, and Hello, Goodbye (the last is top 40/50 for me I think).

Thinking I may take a stab at my own top-10 just to see how many overlap with yours.
I haven’t posted Rocky Raccoon yet.  And I did move Kite up a bit.  Maybe you’re my brother.  

ETA:  I’d love to see your (or others’) top ten.  My top 12 are set so no changes will be coming there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t posted Rocky Raccoon yet.  And I did move Kite up a bit.  Maybe you’re my brother.  

ETA:  I’d love to see your (or others’) top ten.  My top 12 are set so no changes will be coming there.
I’ll try this when we get closer for sure. This thread is very inspiring. Gonna start my Hanson countdown after this but I don’t want to steal your thunder. 

Yikes.  So I took a spin around a few not-Krista Beatles' rankers and it's safe to say my list is... idiosyncratic.  The top half appears in most other top-10 or top-20, but the back half is all mine apparently.

ETA:  also up to a top-12 as I found out I was missing some obvious ones in my own library.

Yikes.  So I took a spin around a few not-Krista Beatles' rankers and it's safe to say my list is... idiosyncratic.  The top half appears in most other top-10 or top-20, but the back half is all mine apparently.

ETA:  also up to a top-12 as I found out I was missing some obvious ones in my own library.
There’s a divide between my top 12 and the next tier, but sadly I can’t have a 12-song top 10.

I intended to mention before that I am aware there are some rankings out there by music critics and others, but I’ve studiously avoided those until this is over.  Some of mine will likely be (charitably) idiosyncratic as well.

Since several people have given guesses at my #1, I’ve decided to donate $100 to the charity of choice to whoever comes closest - i.e., anyone who gets it right, or if no one has/does, whoever gets my second choice, etc.  I’ll put together a list of the guesses so far when I’m home (at airport picking up my mom!).

Since several people have given guesses at my #1, I’ve decided to donate $100 to the charity of choice to whoever comes closest - i.e., anyone who gets it right, or if no one has/does, whoever gets my second choice, etc.  I’ll put together a list of the guesses so far when I’m home (at airport picking up my mom!).
Let It Be

There’s a divide between my top 12 and the next tier, but sadly I can’t have a 12-song top 10.

I intended to mention before that I am aware there are some rankings out there by music critics and others, but I’ve studiously avoided those until this is over.  Some of mine will likely be (charitably) idiosyncratic as well.
You set your own damn rules.  

ETA:  your work, your contest - do what you want!! (supportive of your endeavor here)

I’ll say Eleanor Rigby. That is a very generous gesture.  :thumbup:

Rain

A bit obscure for #1, but I’ve always loved this song.

I feel like my earlier guess must be wrong after seeing this very generous post of yours. But I’ll stick with Hey Jude, obviously with the donation going to St Jude.

This is fun.  I’d like to donate a bit more.  Either going to come up with another guessing contest or expand the number of winners on this one...hmmm...

This is fun.  I’d like to donate a bit more.  Either going to come up with another guessing contest or expand the number of winners on this one...hmmm...
Easy there, Bezos. :)

Going with A Day In The Life...

eta* excited you're doing this, and doing the list.  

Abbey Road medley.

BOOM

I'll have to go with Something.   Edited because Ted L beat me to the punch.

I'll have to go with Something.   Edited because Ted L beat me to the punch.
Wait, I don't know if this was your edit, but you can still choose something that another person has taken.  I think In My Life, the Abbey Road medley, and A Day in the Life have been taken more than once...maybe others, too.

Easy there, Bezos. :)

Going with A Day In The Life...

eta* excited you're doing this, and doing the list.  
All right, all right.   :lol:   Though apparently "Bezos" is an insult to many in the FFA?

I'm going to do something more for the runners-up, in addition to the "winner(s)."  Maybe something for anyone who hits the top 10 (or the top 12 in the top 10).  

Here's what I have so far; please let me know of any corrections or omissions:

simey – Abbey Road medley

Mister CIA – She Said She Said

timschochet – Paperback Writer

pecorino – Hey Jude

Binky the Doormat – In My Life

wikkidpissah – Taxman

Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life

Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away

Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride

Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be

Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby

Spock – Rain

Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life

rockaction  - A Day in the Life

Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life

shuke – Abbey Road medley

Alex P Keaton - Something

In total, you guys have named four in my top 10.   :)  

Didn’t you already post that it wasn’t A day In the Life? 

All right, all right.   :lol:   Though apparently "Bezos" is an insult to many in the FFA?

I'm going to do something more for the runners-up, in addition to the "winner(s)."  Maybe something for anyone who hits the top 10 (or the top 12 in the top 10).  

Here's what I have so far; please let me know of any corrections or omissions:

simey – Abbey Road medley

Mister CIA – She Said She Said

timschochet – Paperback Writer

pecorino – Hey Jude

Binky the Doormat – In My Life

wikkidpissah – Taxman

Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life

Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away

Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride

Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be

Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby

Spock – Rain

Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life

rockaction  - A Day in the Life

Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life

shuke – Abbey Road medley

Alex P Keaton - Something

In total, you guys have named four in my top 10.   :)  
OK, I’m going to guess your top 10: 

1. Paperback Writer

2. She Said She Said

3. Something

4. Ticket to Ride

5. A Day In the Life

6. Abbey Road medley

7. Octopus’ Garden

8. She Loves You

9. For No One

10. And Your Bird Can Sing 

I'm going to try to sneak this in while you guys are in bed...   :oldunsure:  

133.  She's Leaving Home (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

I dunno...a lot of you guys seem to love this song, including tim who raved about what a beautiful ballad John wrote. ;)   But the version I've heard, by Paul, doesn't do a lot for me and seems painfully earnest, except...I absolutely adore the string arrangement and one particular lyric.  So much so that this ranks at #133 almost solely on the basis of these two things.  When I hear this song, I'm entranced by the strings and tune everything else out, which is good since I don't enjoy much else of it, especially especially the "Greek chorus" over what I find a weak Paul vocal.  The "parents" singing as the Greek chorus and the "byyyye byyyye" make me cringe every time.

This is a song where Paul is a bit John-esque in that he based it, loosely, on something he'd read in the paper, rather than coming up with a fictitious world all his own as he often did.  In this case, Paul read a story about a girl named Melanie Coe who had run away from her posh home, to the befuddlement of her parents.  Interestingly, Ms. Coe enjoyed the song for some time without imagining it was about her; it was only years later that her mother put it together for her after seeing an interview with Paul.  In part she had never imagined it was her because she didn't leave with "a man from the motor trade."

The string arrangement is perhaps my favorite in a Beatles song, which is interesting since it's one of the only arrangements not by George Martin, who was too busy at the time and (unwillingly) ceded to Mike Leander.  I find the arrangement tight and not extraneous in any way as Martin's sometimes were.  The second thing I love about the song is one lyric in particular:  "She's leaving home after living alone for so many years."  Obviously the girl in question was not living literally alone, so the implication is devastating but possibly familiar to anyone who has felt that distance with those to whom we're physically closest.  It's one of my favorite single lines in a Beatles song.

Fun fact:  Coincidentally, Ms. Coe won a lip-synch contest at which the Beatles performed and Paul presented the award a few years before the song was written. 

If you think I have it too low, at least I like it more than Mr. krista does:  "So ####### boring.  She leaves a comfortable life for more comfort.  Oh, she’s bored, so she gets to go have fun.  That’s the whitest #### ever.  And her parents are bummed.  Who gives a ####.  The stakes are so pitifully low.  'Oh, I’ve like to have more fun, so I guess I’ll leave.'"

Suggested cover:  One of my favorite covers of any Beatles song, Billy freaking Bragg.

Didn’t you already post that it wasn’t A day In the Life? 

OK, I’m going to guess your top 10: 

1. Paperback Writer

2. She Said She Said

3. Something

4. Ticket to Ride

5. A Day In the Life

6. Abbey Road medley

7. Octopus’ Garden

8. She Loves You

9. For No One

10. And Your Bird Can Sing 
Shhhhh.  Not everyone reads the thread. ;)

The most interesting pick on your list is Octopus's Garden.  I'm pretty sure I love that song more than most other people do, but it still sticks out to me as an unusual choice (so I guess I'm giving away that it's not top 10).  You said this was close to your list - is that one on yours?

I just read to Mr. krista the list of guesses of my #1, and he commented on them and then responded with, "It's [not my #1 song]."  I thought he was joking and laughed until I saw his look of confusion.  Then he said, "Oh yeah, it's [also not my #1 song]."  On third try, he got it right.  *Divorce re-pending.*

I'm going to try to sneak this in while you guys are in bed...   :oldunsure:  

133.  She's Leaving Home (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)
Not my favorite from Pepper, but I also like the haunting strings on the tune. Also like the way it is juxtaposed on the album between "Fixing a Hole" and "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite."

Not my favorite from Pepper, but I also like the haunting strings on the tune. Also like the way it is juxtaposed on the album between "Fixing a Hole" and "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite."
Yeah, I think those strings are special.  I find the strings on some of the songs overwrought, but these are delicate and beautiful.

Shhhhh.  Not everyone reads the thread. ;)

The most interesting pick on your list is Octopus's Garden.  I'm pretty sure I love that song more than most other people do, but it still sticks out to me as an unusual choice (so I guess I'm giving away that it's not top 10).  You said this was close to your list - is that one on yours?
No. I like it though. I added it as a whim based on your Ringo love. 

I also really like that Billy Bragg cover of Shes Leaving Home. 

I respect Jay-Z's music, just not a fan of mashups in general. Full covers are fine in my view. 
Yeah, that's fair. Mash ups generally lack something. But the Grey Album is probably in my top five or ten of the aughts because of Dangermouse behind it. The Gnarls Barkley dude. 

Anyway, just posted it for fun. Heh.  

Users who are viewing this thread