What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Toxic Femininity (1 Viewer)

wikkidpissah said:
just did. pandering. there's a big market for that. several years ago i tried blogging in the attempt to make a late-life writing career for myself. because i expressed some original opinions on gender politics (including about the "sexual fraud" issues i mentioned in my first post in this thread), i was set upon by a series of "Men's Health" imitators who were looking to make dough with both "poor white man' and "poor man" content & formats. victim culture, nothing more. there is a real issue here, but anyone who believes now is the time to address that hasn't given the subject enough quality thought.
I think Meghan Daum has probably given these issues some fairly quality thought.  

I don’t think it’s really time for white men to be addressing it, but at some point it will be. 

Follow-up by Shannon Ashley
Another who doesn't get it.

This is women's time, it should be women's time, i hope they make the best of it. But they won't - like it's been with black people since they got some self-determination, it will be more wound-licking and hand-slapping and no building. They can criticize & condemn us, they should criticize & condemn us, but they can't criticize themselves so it won't mean anything. Only the truth can really set peoples free.

I won't see anything come full circle at my age, so i can't get wrapped up in the particulars, but emerging - as a nation or a demographic - is where it's most important to get it right but where everybody gets it wrong in the excitement of emergence. In fact, the American Founders are the only ones who ever came close. But, like i said, i don't sweat that because i got to see freedom be born for every American and for that to happen in one lifetime is the greatest occurrence in the history of humanity. But y'all emergers are making a frikkin' mess of liberty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another who doesn't get it.

This is women's time, it should be women's time, i hope they make the best of it. But they won't - like it's been with black people since they got some self-determination, it will be more wound-licking and hand-slapping and no building. They can criticize & condemn us, they should criticize & condemn us, but they can't criticize themselves so it won't mean anything. Only the truth can really set peoples free.

I won't see anything come full circle at my age, so i can't get wrapped up in the particulars, but emerging - as a nation or a demographic - is where it's most important to get it right. In fact, the American Founders are the only ones who ever came close. But, like i said, i don't sweat that because i got to see freedom be born for every American and for that to happen in one lifetime is the greatest occurrence in the history of humanity. But y'all emergers are making a frikkin' mess of liberty.
I don't think I have any idea what you're trying to say here or what it has to do with that article.

I don't think I have any idea what you're trying to say here or what it has to do with that article.
Probably not a lot i can do about, because you are among a thundering majority on this issue. Only reason i continue to hammer on it is that i'm right.

I'll try this. A quarter-century ago, black people had developed enough political capital to go for something big. Reparations could have been on the table, even, and that's huuuuge. Instead, they went for a prohibition on a racial slur and ruining the lives of any public figures who had a history with such. Now hand-slapping unwoke white folk is indeed entertaining but not worth what was spent in the currency of division. And then Rodney King & OJ came along and turned racial politics into a cartoon and i honestly believe black people at large suffered for it and that reparations will never be on the table again.

If that was a failure, it was a failure of the joy in punishing oppressors overriding the business of progress. I am wishing women to not make similar mistakes and i see little but mistakes so far.

I read both the articles and the second better addresses the true point on what toxic femininity is.

In the majority of cases, toxic femininity isn't aimed at boys or men, it's aimed at other women.  The vast majority of expectations and norms women are supposed to abide by aren't driven by men but by women.  This seems to be rarely addressed, and if it is, it's assigned to men, i.e. women saying that many magazines treat women as sex objects, while the majority of those magazines are targeted towards women not men.  Think of Glamour, Cosmopolitan, etc.  How do they portray women and who are they targeting?

I'm raising two boys and one girl right now and I can say in my experience the boys may be bullied physically (less common than when I grew up) but the girls are bullied emotionally.  Mainly this is done by other girls, and I worry more about the effect of other girls on my daughter than I do the effect of boys.

I'm not trying to deflect or say there isn't toxic masculinity, but I would love to see a bit more accountability from women on how they treat each other. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not a lot i can do about, because you are among a thundering majority on this issue. Only reason i continue to hammer on it is that i'm right.

I'll try this. A quarter-century ago, black people had developed enough political capital to go for something big. Reparations could have been on the table, even, and that's huuuuge. Instead, they went for a prohibition on a racial slur and ruining the lives of any public figures who had a history with such. Now hand-slapping unwoke white folk is indeed entertaining but not worth what was spent in the currency of division. And then Rodney King & OJ came along and turned racial politics into a cartoon and i honestly believe black people at large suffered for it and that reparations will never be on the table again.

If that was a failure, it was a failure of the joy in punishing oppressors overriding the business of progress. I am wishing women to not make similar mistakes and i see little but mistakes so far.
Well, that would be a pretty good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread