What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many units of alcohol do you drink in an average week? (1 Viewer)

How much do you drink

• 0- units a week

Votes: 47 24.7%
  • 1-5-units a week

Votes: 41 21.6%
  • 5-10 units a week

Votes: 31 16.3%
  • 10-20 units a week

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • 20-30 units a week

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • 30-40 units a week

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • 40-50 units a week

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 50+ units a week

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

tuffnutt

Footballguy
With all the talk around here about alcohol I thought it might be a good time for a poll. Over the past couple years I have started to worry about my own consumption slipping towards the excessive and I'm starting to take a hard look in the mirror. I was diagnosed with fatty liver 2 years ago (i'm 45) after some liver function levels came back high. It was confirmed by an ultrasound. Since then I have been cutting back but have decided to go sober March after reading the sober February thread. I will have my levels retested the first week of April. 

Anyway, I'm curious as to how my consumption ranks among others on this board and maybe use this as a thread to talk about it.

Government guidelines say for a man no more 14 units a week (12 ounce beer, 5 ounce wine, 1 shot spirits) for men and 7 units a week for women. At the height of my drinking (about 5 years ago) I was prob doing around 40-45 units a week. The last couple years I would say its been around 12-15 a week but sometimes that might all be in one night!  What are your numbers? 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's difficult to say as it can be a moving target for me. Haven't had a drink for about two weeks but for the 3-4 months before that I was probably in the 30-40 range, which is part of the reason I am taking a break. 

Couple years back I tracked this for almost a year and was in the 18-23 range.

Who decided 12 ounces of beer was one drink?

What if 24oz cans were invented before the 12 oz can?  Then that would be considered one unit.

Who decided 12 ounces of beer was one drink?

What if 24oz cans were invented before the 12 oz can?  Then that would be considered one unit.
Sure, as would 10 oz of wine and a shot would be double. 

2 drinks on an average day, 3 or 4 on the weekends. I'll say 20.

This is a good poll. Before Sober February and a hopeful life change, way, way too much. 

Good luck on your journey through March! 

From age 18 until about age 38 I was drinking 3 to 4 nights a week at bars.  And I was having probably 6 beers at least each night out.  Usually more.  

Between 38 and 40, I probably drank 1 night a week and I would still drink a ton.  

At age 40, I got tired of waking up with a hangover.  The morning was no longer worth the night.  I probably drink once or twice a year now.  

From age 18 until about age 38 I was drinking 3 to 4 nights a week at bars.  And I was having probably 6 beers at least each night out.  Usually more.  

Between 38 and 40, I probably drank 1 night a week and I would still drink a ton.  

At age 40, I got tired of waking up with a hangover.  The morning was no longer worth the night.  I probably drink once or twice a year now.  
I drink one or two margaritas per week since age 40. Can't do the hangovers.

Good to see you here.

I really only drink socially so I could go a month or so without a drink but then have a parents' night out or a party and hit 5-10 in a night.  I don't feel the need to have a drink to unwind after work or anything like that.  Also I can't really day drink anymore unless I keep on drinking or I end up with an early hangover.  Sucks getting old I guess.  Only queue that makes me want to grab a beer that I can think of is firing up the grill.  🍺

I'll have 1-2 glasses of wine 4-5 nights a week.

I'll have 5-6 drinks on a weekend night a few times a year.

Nobody likes a quitter.

I probably average 3 or 4 a week.  Usually beer or wine over a couple days.  Occasionally a cocktail or some port. 

Rarely drink anymore.  Used to enjoy a beer 2-3x/week (so still <5 week).  But, my answer above of 0 doesn't mean I don't drink. 

to each their own with certain parameters depending on everything.
True. I just know that for myself I was drinking way too much and anybody that desires to cut back or abstain has my emotional support. 

They also have my emotional support if they imbibe responsibly and are responsible about it. They have my empathy if they cannot.  

There's really no judgments on my end, I guess.   

Good poll. 

Some nights none lately, but that takes effort. Otherwise usually at least a drink a day, some days lots more. Probably on average 2-3 daily, or 15-18 a week. Give or take. 

Drink 3 or 4 times a year now, usually about a six pack or share a fifth with the wife when I do. Back in my college days everyone got their own $5 20 pack of Lonestar on Friday and another on Saturday. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Swapped from everynight to 5 no 2 yes. 

Those 2 yes are a half bottle of wine on one night and maybe a couple beers on the other.   Higher ABV so we will call it 6. 

Was probably up to a 25 a week pace for awhile.  

One thing they don't tell you about cutting back is how bad a hangover can be.  It keeps you pretty clean even when you go out. 

Swapped from everynight to 5 no 2 yes. 

Those 2 yes are a half bottle of wine on one night and maybe a couple beers on the other.   Higher ABV so we will call it 6. 

Was probably up to a 25 a week pace for awhile.  

One thing they don't tell you about cutting back is how bad a hangover can be.  It keeps you pretty clean even when you go out. 
And the other thing they don't tell you is how much worse it gets with age.  Somewhere in your mid-40s you (should) realize #### has to change, else life will deteriorate exponentially.

Users who are viewing this thread