What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Am I fat FFA? What is your idea of healthy? (2 Viewers)

Great advice - as a type 2 diabetic, I have delved into sugar replacement options, and the one that I have settled on is stevia

So far - so good. I like the taste - price is reasonable - blood glucose is good. 

Obviously, I use it with coffee and tea, but the biggest benefit is in cooking. I can now make some wonderful low calorie / carb recipes, that were once on my NO NO List. 

Worth a try imo. 
MOCS - check out this article, not so sure about stevia.  

We have been going with a non-GMO Erythritol and like it a lot.  article from same lady.  

MOCS - check out this article, not so sure about stevia.  

We have been going with a non-GMO Erythritol and like it a lot.  article from same lady.  
Great info, Bink! Thanks a lot. 

I will try out your brand. Also, I like the suggestion in the article to grow ya own. 

I'll need to learn more about the specifics, but I've grown a lot of other stuff that needs constant care - if ya know what I mean... 🙂

Thanks again, pal. ✌️

To the original question of what is your idea of healthy?

It's obviously not the only indicator but I continue to be saddened / surprised by how fat we've become as a nation. 

I get it that some people have legit metabolism issues that make it "unfair" as they can't eat the same things that others can.

But by and large we eat horribly as a nation. 

I'd say use the BMI indicator to at least get a baseline for what some consider to be the goal. I get it it's not perfect and yes, professional NFL tight ends with bodybuilder physiques can register as obese. That's a small outlier. For lots of people, they're simply too heavy. 

I'm 55 years old and 6'0 and 198 pounds. That makes me overweight on the chart. I should weigh closer to 185. I haven't weighed 185 since Junior High but that's not out of the question.

The biggest thing is I think most people have no idea how poorly they are actually eating. And how many calories they're consuming. Especially if they snack during the day. A handful of chips here or a cookie there add up.

Free apps like Lose It or MyFitnessPal are excellent for getting this under control.

Second thing. I think it's about 80% diet and 20% exercise. I see too many people that eat well and don't exercise and seem healthy and too many people that I know exercise a lot and are still overweight. When I was doing Triathlons, I'd see people cross the finish line that were overweight. And I know they'd done the training. 

Other points:

It has to be a lifestyle. Not a fad diet. You'll lose weight for sure eating some super strict diet. This has to be something you can do forever. If not, you get into yo yo stuff and that's even worse. 

I think it's mostly about calories. It's not completely a math equation but I think there's less of a magic combination of low carb or no meat and such. I think it's more about calories.

Try to eat way less processed stuff. If it's in a can or wrapper, it's processed. 

Some stuff is stupid simple. Drink water, coffee or tea. No sugar. 

It's ok to be flexible. If you really like beer, have beer. But make it fit within the calorie guidelines of the app. Have "A" donut every once in a while if you love donuts. Don't have 6 donuts. 

Eat way less than you think. Restaurants don't have your best interests at heart. They're not your mom. I've found most restaurants serve almost twice as much food as I need to feel full. Take the other half home. Or split a plate. Saves money too.

Exercise some. Doesn't have to be crazy. Walking is cheap and good for you and good for your mental state too. 

Don't listen to random people (like me) on the internet. Be careful about the "experts" online and in books. Better I think is find people somewhat like you, that have done something pretty close to what you're trying to do. And see what's worked for them. You'll start to see common themes. 

This question can be made anywhere from KISS to extremely complex - the former version?  Good diet, enough exercise, sufficient rest, and minimized stress.  Accomplish those 4 things (preferably without the assistance of meds/other supplements) and you're on the right path and miles ahead of the average american.  

How do I get more fiber in my diet? 
Oatmeal.  Steel cut is best but I fall to whole rolled because it's easier to cook.  not instant.  

1c oatmeal, as much cinnamon as you can stand, and 1.5c water (adjust for consistency) for 3 minutes in the microwave.  Stir in 1/2 cup cottage cheese and 1/2 cup fruit of your choice.  berries, apple, banana are all great.  stunningly good meal and kicks kashi to the curb.  

Oatmeal.  Steel cut is best but I fall to whole rolled because it's easier to cook.  not instant.  

1c oatmeal, as much cinnamon as you can stand, and 1.5c water (adjust for consistency) for 3 minutes in the microwave.  Stir in 1/2 cup cottage cheese and 1/2 cup fruit of your choice.  berries, apple, banana are all great.  stunningly good meal and kicks kashi to the curb.  
Nice. I'm gonna try this. 👍

And additionally - cottage cheese and oatmeal fills you up, which is often over looked when it comes to diet changes.  

I have been successful with Weight Watchers.  If you google "WW 200 zero point foods" you will get a list of food that you can eat unlimited.  Fruits, veggies, lean meat, eggs.  No cheese, bread, pasta.  You can still eat foods that are not on the list, but only do so in moderation.

Joe Bryant said:

It's obviously not the only indicator but I continue to be saddened / surprised by how fat we've become as a nation. 

I get it that some people have legit metabolism issues that make it "unfair" as they can't eat the same things that others can.

I'd say use the BMI indicator to at least get a baseline for what some consider to be the goal. I get it it's not perfect and yes, professional NFL tight ends with bodybuilder physiques can register as obese. That's a small outlier. For lots of people, they're simply too heavy. 

I'm 55 years old and 6'0 and 198 pounds. That makes me overweight on the chart. I should weigh closer to 185. I haven't weighed 185 since Junior High but that's not out of the question.
One thing that people tend to overlook that just because you are tall doesn't mean you get a free pass because (Bruh, I can't get down to 185 at 6-4, srs?).  In fact, the taller you are the more pressure (not less) there is to control weight.  And that includes lean mass.

It's been conventional wisdom that Asian people must be healthier due to their diet, but once controlled for height the answer becomes fuzzier.

Taller people have longer blood vessels, are more prone to stroke, and their heart has to pump more and more often to supply both lean and fatty tissue.  

But it is usually tall people that push back against BMI the most, because well as a % of height americans tend to scale up much faster.  Fact remains it's probably the best measure for 95% of people out there.  Probably 99%.  

I have been successful with Weight Watchers.  If you google "WW 200 zero point foods" you will get a list of food that you can eat unlimited.  Fruits, veggies, lean meat, eggs.  No cheese, bread, pasta.  You can still eat foods that are not on the list, but only do so in moderation.
I did WW about 6 years ago and lost 40 pounds doing it.  It worked great.  You just have to follow the rules and it'll work.  I loved it because it allowed me to keep eating some crappy food.  Made sticking with it much easier.

Joe Bryant said:

The biggest thing is I think most people have no idea how poorly they are actually eating. And how many calories they're consuming. Especially if they snack during the day. A handful of chips here or a cookie there add up.

Free apps like Lose It or MyFitnessPal are excellent for getting this under control.

Second thing. I think it's about 80% diet and 20% exercise. I see too many people that eat well and don't exercise and seem healthy and too many people that I know exercise a lot and are still overweight. When I was doing Triathlons, I'd see people cross the finish line that were overweight. And I know they'd done the training. 

Other points:

It has to be a lifestyle. Not a fad diet. You'll lose weight for sure eating some super strict diet. This has to be something you can do forever. If not, you get into yo yo stuff and that's even worse. 

I think it's mostly about calories. It's not completely a math equation but I think there's less of a magic combination of low carb or no meat and such. I think it's more about calories.

Try to eat way less processed stuff. If it's in a can or wrapper, it's processed. 

Some stuff is stupid simple. Drink water, coffee or tea. No sugar. 

It's ok to be flexible. If you really like beer, have beer. But make it fit within the calorie guidelines of the app. Have "A" donut every once in a while if you love donuts. Don't have 6 donuts. 

Eat way less than you think. Restaurants don't have your best interests at heart. They're not your mom. I've found most restaurants serve almost twice as much food as I need to feel full. Take the other half home. Or split a plate. Saves money too.

Exercise some. Doesn't have to be crazy. Walking is cheap and good for you and good for your mental state too. 
:goodposting:

Especially the bolded. Long term nutrition studies show just about every diet can result in weight loss, but almost invariably people gain it back within 2 years. Behavioral changes need to replace the bad habits which allowed the weight gain to occur in the first place. Thankfully, our palate can adapt to just about anything; make healthy foods an acquired taste. And expecting rapid weight loss is usually folly. You didn't gain the weight overnight, so don't expect to lose it fast either. And don't give up if you feel like your "ideal" weight is unattainable - any weight loss has a positive impact on your health.

I weight 175 lbs and am 5'6 height

It doesn't help I am on anti depressant meds which made me gain weight. I've always struggled with body issues. What's the best weight loss program if you have no weights or a gym membership? I am asking for advice because I don’t want to end up like my father or uncle that struggle with obesity.
I have known a few fat guys who I have worked with who lost a ton of weight just doing 2 things.  1. Walking an hour a day.  If you have to split it up into 2 half hour sessions or one hour session does not matter.   2. Eat carbs but try to limit them after lunch. Keep the dinner to lean proteins and veggies.

The walking is not a fast cure..but if you stick with it after 2-3 weeks you will see a pound here and a pound there dropping off.   Shoot for 1 pound a week weight loss as your goal.  That is very realistic and attainable instead of trying to lose 10 lbs in two weeks.

In 3 short months you will be down 12 pounds and feeling better.  Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always a lot happier when I'm eating crappy food, though.  
There's some neurochemical basis behind this, but a lot of it is just a conditioned response. After you eat healthy for a while (~years), your cravings completely change. Just people aren't willing to devote the same energy to acquiring the taste in comparison to others - alcohol and coffee, for example.

... After you eat healthy for a while (~years), your cravings completely change. ...
After I switched my habits - about 5 months in - I drank a diet coke, in a time of crisis - my mouth nearly fell off. BAD - real bad.

Now, lots of foods do that to me. The 1st bite feels like a bad chemical reaction in my mouth and nasal cavity.

I'm glad I've developed it - makes things easier now.

There's some neurochemical basis behind this, but a lot of it is just a conditioned response. After you eat healthy for a while (~years), your cravings completely change. Just people aren't willing to devote the same energy to acquiring the taste in comparison to others - alcohol and coffee, for example.
Maybe.  But food tastes awesome.  Especially sweets.  

After I switched my habits - about 5 months in - I drank a diet coke, in a time of crisis - my mouth nearly fell off. BAD - real bad.

Now, lots of foods do that to me. The 1st bite feels like a bad chemical reaction in my mouth and nasal cavity.

Eating basically anything with high sugar makes me sick to my stomach at this point.  

Yep. I often hear statements along the lines of "I'd rather die a couple years younger than not eat steak". After being raised on beef, loving it but giving it up over a decade ago, a steak isn't appetizing at all.

And it isn't just a few years at the end of life. You can avoid decades of suffering by embracing a healthy lifestyle to minimize middle aged diseases. While almost all of us will suffer to some extent as death approaches, quality of life is better for way longer in those who adopt healthy habits. 

Last edited by a moderator:
bosoxs45 said:
How do I get more fiber in my diet? 

The simple answer is eat more green vegetables.   To a lesser extent, fresh fruit.  

And if all that fails, get something like a psyllium husk fiber powder.   Have a serving with that with 16oz of water 30 mins before all your meals -- you'll be less hungry up front with more fiber, and eating less at each meal.  

Eating basically anything with high sugar makes me sick to my stomach at this point.  
Yep - sugar, except for some berries (strawberries, blueberries etc.), but I still have to mix them (smoothies/cottage cheese/cream cheese (lowfat)/etc). 

Also, refined grains & other highly processed foods do me the same. I'm probably forgetting some others that I have fully cleared from all shopping lists. 

:hifive:

I'll never grow tired of the deliciousness of doritos or oreos or lays potato chips or pizza.   All foods I might add that never see the inside of my house.   

Oh you are young man, you definitely can turn this around. If you get a healthy diet (not some fad diet, just follow the food pyramid, avoid processed food and don't over indulge) and start walking and then add some things like yoga and light weight training you could totally reshape your body before you are 32. 
The bolded is not the worst advice ever, but it's close.

Yep. I often hear statements along the lines of "I'd rather die a couple years younger than not eat steak". After being raised on beef, loving it but giving it up over a decade ago, a steak isn't appetizing at all.

And it isn't just a few years at the end of life. You can avoid decades of suffering by adopting a healthy lifestyle to minimize middle aged diseases. While most all of us suffer to some extent as death approaches, quality of life is better for way longer in those who adopt healthy habits. 
I will still have a really rare steak or other red meat once or twice a week. 

All other times: tuna/salmon/herring/etc - skinless chicken breast - turkey - porkloin & other loin cuts - beans/legumes/nuts/soy/peanut butter etc. 

I stay under 135 carbs per day, but need 3000 cal per day to maintain weight (3500 when working out heavy). I have always had a super high metabolism, so, the diabetic carb restrictions really make me eat lots of protein & good fat. 

I seem to be constantly eating - but space my carb intake out over 4 meals - then walk a min of 15 minutes after each - on stairs usually. I need to get back to strength training, but my stomach issues have prevented me from eating enough. That is improving tho. 

One day at a time. 

Thanks to all for all the wonderful suggestions. ✌️

The bolded is not the worst advice ever, but it's close.
The food pyramid is far from perfect, but it also isn't anything near what you wrote.  It sure is a better starting point than most diets.  Crafting one's diet is about sustainability and the pyramid provides a visual when cross referencing what you did to get in bad shape vs. what you're going to do to get out of it.  CARBS ARE BAD!!! is all over the place right now and has been before too.  Isn't necessarily the case though.  Carbs can be bad, but they can also serve as fuel.  It's just a matter of how you draw your whole picture.

The food pyramid is far from perfect, but it also isn't anything near what you wrote.  It sure is a better starting point than most diets.  Crafting one's diet is about sustainability and the pyramid provides a visual when cross referencing what you did to get in bad shape vs. what you're going to do to get out of it.  CARBS ARE BAD!!! is all over the place right now and has been before too.  Isn't necessarily the case though.  Carbs can be bad, but they can also serve as fuel.  It's just a matter of how you draw your whole picture.
Agree to disagree. 

munga30 said:

I do something similar (no cottage cheese) only I put it in a container and let it set in the fridge overnight and then eat cold.  I'll add chia or hemp seeds or hemp protein as well.

Just to clarify, as people have gone off the rails a bit with carbophobia. Eliminate simple carbohydrates, but complex carbohydrates + fiber are great for overall health, including weight loss. Ditch the processed chips, breads, baked goods, sweets, sugars in favor of fruits, legumes, veggies and...whole grains.
:goodposting:

Nobody is getting fat on brown rice and apples.

Agree to disagree. 
I didn't start detailed tracking until recently, but I exercise about 6-7 hours per week when I'm not in a training cycle and something north of 8 hours in a training cycle.  Is it possible to properly fuel my body for such a workload without as many carbs as I currently utilize?  Sure, but it'd require more food preparation time, trial & error to determine if my stomach can handle the new ingredients going through my system, and self control on weekends/at special events.  I'm not willing to devote time nor energy towards any of those right now. Is my exercise workload higher than most?  Sure, but the same can be true for someone who exercises less too.  Their total caloric intake must account for the lesser exercise output, but carbs = fuel is still applicable. 

Which is why 'agree to disagree' is wrong.  The simplistic 'my way is the only way' mindset is always wrong.  As I wrote before, it's about the picture. It's about prioritization.  What are you unwilling to give up? what are you going to do to offset the bad habits you won't give up? what means the most to you? what are you willing to sacrifice? what tangible goals are you going to establish? how will you over come obstacles they present themselves? etc.

The food pyramid might be single-handedly responsible for obesity in America. 
Agreed - grain portion is completely out of whack.  Yes, grain is cheap and available, but that thing needs a major overhaul for actual health benefits.

The food pyramid might be single-handedly responsible for obesity in America. 
This is silly.  We as a society are lazy - we want one particular answer because that thought process has been ingrained in us over years, but it isn't that simple.  Like most things, it's complex and depends on a number of factors.  There are many different roads to sustainable success.  You need to self assess and determine what's the optimum path for you.  

Sure. Salty and sweet are two primal tastes. While the desire/reward for eating sweet/salty foods probably can't eliminated entirely, what you crave can be modified in a big way.
I get that.  But I'm sure you can ween yourself off of sex, too.  I'm just saying I'm good with being chubby and eating that glorious, delicious, fattening food.

Agreed - grain portion is completely out of whack.  Yes, grain is cheap and available, but that thing needs a major overhaul for actual health benefits.
Keep in mind that if the whole world got off grains and into other vegetable matter the ecosystem would not support it.  Basically, there are far more places that can support grain production than things like....Spinach.  

Grains must be a part of the solution, even if they are in and of themselves a problem.  

Likewise if you say, well we don't want any more meat consumption you now take even more arable grazing land out that is really good for nothing and just lies there.  It's not like ranch land is just ready to convert into ready to eat salad mix farms.    

I didn't start detailed tracking until recently, but I exercise about 6-7 hours per week when I'm not in a training cycle and something north of 8 hours in a training cycle.  Is it possible to properly fuel my body for such a workload without as many carbs as I currently utilize?  Sure, but it'd require more food preparation time, trial & error to determine if my stomach can handle the new ingredients going through my system, and self control on weekends/at special events.  I'm not willing to devote time nor energy towards any of those right now. Is my exercise workload higher than most?  Sure, but the same can be true for someone who exercises less too.  Their total caloric intake must account for the lesser exercise output, but carbs = fuel is still applicable. 

Which is why 'agree to disagree' is wrong.  The simplistic 'my way is the only way' mindset is always wrong.  As I wrote before, it's about the picture. It's about prioritization.  What are you unwilling to give up? what are you going to do to offset the bad habits you won't give up? what means the most to you? what are you willing to sacrifice? what tangible goals are you going to establish? how will you over come obstacles they present themselves? etc.
LOL...  do you understand what “agree to disagree” means? 

Keep in mind that if the whole world got off grains and into other vegetable matter the ecosystem would not support it.  Basically, there are far more places that can support grain production than things like....Spinach.  

Grains must be a part of the solution, even if they are in and of themselves a problem.  

Likewise if you say, well we don't want any more meat consumption you now take even more arable grazing land out that is really good for nothing and just lies there.  It's not like ranch land is just ready to convert into ready to eat salad mix farms.    
Yeah, I think overall hunger/starvation numbers would skyrocket if grains were greatly reduced and more veggies were in place.  One great thing about grains versus veggies is their storage life.

LOL...  do you understand what “agree to disagree” means? 
Sure do - carbs may not work for you.  But this isn't about you.  You self assessed and determined this is your optimum path for success.  Someone else's self assessment will yield different results though.  And the responses that followed about the food pyramid is one reason why society is where it is right now wrt diet.    It unintentionally leads to confusion and frustration amongst those trying to make changes.  Person X says this is the only way, but person Y says they're wrong and to try this, but person Z says they're both wrong, etc.  The food pyramid is not necessarily wrong, but that 'my way is the only way' mindset? That is.

This is so true. After you change your eating habits, you begin to look at food differently. 

The key to eating healthy is preparation.   I go to the produce store and load up.  When I get home I take a few minutes to wash everything thoroughly and let dry.  Then I cut everything up. Celery, carrots, peppers, cucumbers..whatever and bag and put into pyrex to it is ready to eat.  If I don`t do that I end up throwing half of it away because it is sitting there in plastic and goes bad.

Get some chicken breast and marinate a few lbs at a time.  So when you are hungry you can throw it right on the grill.  If you are not cook it all and slice it up for salads.

I aslo do the steel cut overnight oats with vanilla protein.  If I eat that at 7am I am not hungry at all until 12-1pm.

I get that.  But I'm sure you can ween yourself off of sex, too.  I'm just saying I'm good with being chubby and eating that glorious, delicious, fattening food.
Every now and then isn’t the end of the world, but if you indulge every time you eat you may end up much worse than chubby.

Users who are viewing this thread