What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Am I fat FFA? What is your idea of healthy? (1 Viewer)

One thing that people tend to overlook that just because you are tall doesn't mean you get a free pass because (Bruh, I can't get down to 185 at 6-4, srs?).  In fact, the taller you are the more pressure (not less) there is to control weight.  And that includes lean mass.

It's been conventional wisdom that Asian people must be healthier due to their diet, but once controlled for height the answer becomes fuzzier.

Taller people have longer blood vessels, are more prone to stroke, and their heart has to pump more and more often to supply both lean and fatty tissue.  

But it is usually tall people that push back against BMI the most, because well as a % of height americans tend to scale up much faster.  Fact remains it's probably the best measure for 95% of people out there.  Probably 99%.  
Not sure I’ve ever seen anything about height and health, or lack thereof. Do you have a link to share?

You’re right that BMI is an appropriate measure of obesity for almost everyone. But there are recommendations to adjust the max “normal” BMI down from 25 to 23 for E Asians. Not because they’re shorter, but because their body composition tends to be different than Westerners.

The food pyramid might be single-handedly responsible for obesity in America. 
The bottom tier of the pyramid was flawed, for sure, but they didn’t advocate eating sweets or heavily processed foods. The grain, meat and dairy industries all lobbied hard for their spots, without any regard for the health effects of the advocated number of servings. Fortunately the recommendations have been changed.

Another thought.

And not to get all philosophical, but I think there's something to the cycle of "seasons". 

Even short ones like a 7 day week. 

And certainly for a year. 

Lots of religions have the idea of a day of rest or a "sabbath". I think that's good. Even if the spiritual part doesn't matter to you. I think it's good for your body, period.

Before the last hundred years or so where in America food was pretty much available to lots of people with enough money to have all they wanted whenever they wanted, diet was more seasonal. You ate what you could forage for. Then you ate what you grew in the garden or field. 

Feast or Famine wasn't an expression. It was how people lived.

I think where that applies to me is it's ok to have "ups and downs". 

I eat well most all the time. But the last week I've been in Chicago, a city with great food and beer and I've enjoyed it. I don't think it's mentally healthy to constantly live in a steady state of never going off scale every once in a while. 

Now you have to be sensible. I'm not talking super high ups and downs. I'm talking eating normally but when you're in Chicago, you have a couple slices of Lou Malnati pizza. Or whatever it takes to feel normally full. You don't gorge yourself. But you can totally enjoy it.

Then get back to normal.

Take that for what it's worth but for me, it's been a good way. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought.

And not to get all philosophical, but I think there's something to the cycle of "seasons". 
There are other supporting examples but probably the best one is people gaining the most weight at the end of the year.  The damage can be minimized with better planning, but I don't think most people do.  The attitude is more of an "I will worry about it after the holidays' thing.

Another thought.

Lots of religions have the idea of a day of rest or a "sabbath". I think that's good. Even if the spiritual part doesn't matter to you. I think it's good for your body, period.

Before the last hundred years or so where in America food was pretty much available to lots of people with enough money to have all they wanted whenever they wanted, diet was more seasonal. You ate what you could forage for. Then you ate what you grew in the garden or field. 

I eat well most all the time. But the last week I've been in Chicago, a city with great food and beer and I've enjoyed it. I don't think it's mentally healthy to constantly live in a steady state of never going off scale every once in a while. 

Now you have to be sensible. I'm not talking super high ups and downs. I'm talking eating normally but when you're in Chicago, you have a couple slices of Lou Malnati pizza. Or whatever it takes to feel normally full. You don't gorge yourself. But you can totally enjoy it.

Then get back to normal.

I am learning this more & more. When I was 1st diagnosed with diabetes, I approached my eating like an engineer (my natural reaction), but my doctor convinced me that while I could manage diabetes, I could not micro-manage it. 

Once I applied this to my living, my blood glucose actually went down. My hunch, is that the stress (and emotions it generated) over tooooo much micro-ING was worse for my health than the occasional freedom from over doing things. 

I still have so much to learn tho. 

Good topic here. 

Another thought.

Then get back to normal.

There's some psychology behind this as well.  I used to follow a plan from Bob Greene.  6 days of being specifically on the plan and 1 day you could literally eat whatever you want.  Said if you eat really well and work out for 6 days if you want pancakes on the 7th day go for it. It also allowed for special occasions.  So if you went to a Super Bowl party, a birthday dinner with family/friends, whatever, you had a day in the week to allow for it.  But it was strange.  Because I was allowed to "cheat", I often didn't. 

But it was easy to go from having some pizza if I was in Boston or NY and then be on the program the next day. You didn't "wreck" your program by satisfying one craving.

Users who are viewing this thread