What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza 3: Playlists are done, phwew (1 Viewer)

I think Hard Fi rushed out an inferior second album and then waited way too long to release Killer Sounds.. Their fifteen minutes were up.
Yeah, the second album wasn't very good. Also in my original post I neglected to remember that I also really love 'Better do Better' for a while as a pretty great "kiss off" song.

OK, I can't remember who drafted Cage the Elephant @Northern Voice maybe?

Anyways, I mentioned that I like them and Perfect Confusion.

Perfect Confusion - Live for the Day - Spotlight

I'll say what I want
Do as I please
What you only dream of
I will achieve
I'm changing the world
I've got the answers you seek
I can move mountains
With the truth that I speak

You love your money
You love your cars
Your diamond earrings
Your credit cards
And it doesn't matter
How much I pay
Cause please believe me baby
Better live for the day
Alright

He's dressed up in black
From his head to his toes
And when he comes calling
Nobody knows
He doesn't take bribes
No matter how much they'll pay
He won't turn his head
To look the other way

You love your money
You love your cars
Your diamond earrings
Your credit cards
And it doesn't matter
How much I pay
Better live for the day
Alright

Some may live long
Some never grow old
But no man can see
What lay ahead
Of the road
You're a 9 to 5 prisoner
Trying to live like a king
The same thing that drives you
Your death it will bring

You love your money
You love your cars
Your diamond earrings
Your credit cards
And it doesn't matter
How much I pay
Better live for the day

You love your money
You love your cars
Your diamond earrings
Your credit cards
And it doesn't matter
How much I pay
Better live for the day

Round: Late Night

Genre: 2000 Song

Artist: Ludacris

Song: U Got A Problem?

Before Ludacris was a parody of himself, he was the first one signed to Def Jam South, and for good reason. This overground/classical beat along with his booming voice announced, his um, presence with authority.

Ah, forgot this band. Definitely a must-pick. Eephus explained what Dynaflex was to me once, thereby allowing me to understand the reference in the song. Crate diggers, unite!

Genre: 2000 Song

Artist: People Under The Stairs

Song: 43 Labels I Like

I trust in these crusty LPs.

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting:  Same thing happen to Busta Rhymes IMO.  
Yeah, that's a fair point, but Busta was always close to parodic, much like Ol' Dirty was. But while Ol' Dirty died, Busta stopped "hitting the pipe" and got genuinely older with the same shtick he'd used when he was younger, making him a Henny Youngman of sorts, positively lethal in his time, outside of his time, sort of an avuncular joke's-on-him type guy. Flipmode Squad was a bad idea.

Luda had really no excuse for aging so quickly and terribly other than selling out.

Morning Spotlight

The DecemberistsWe Both Go Down Together

They were huge on my playlist in the early/mid-2000s, as extra as they were about the hyper-literate word choices and cultivated chimneysweepwave aesthetic (not sure how else to put it). Didn't get to pick 'em officially, but gotta spotlight them. Picaresque is easily my favorite album of theirs, and still great top-to-bottom.  :nerd:

Edit: Saw @Ilov80s took "The Mariner's Revenge Song" in Genrepalooza I.  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I just posted this earlier - in wrong thread - soooo---

OK, my lights are all messed up. So, I am not sure if Spotlights are now on or off. Regardless, I am going to go for it.

Last night, I was posting some of the songs that I considered drafting. This is one that I tried to draft, but just couldn't fit it in - so I went with a Voodoo Child cover instead. The following song, was my introduction to Jimi Hendrix in 1985 - by a cousin. I had heard Jimi songs before, but I never really listened well enough, until this song.

From that point onward - even though my interests have varied considerably - Jimi remains my favorite musical artist of all time.

This is a call out ta POPA CHUBBY!

POPA CHUBBY - Hey Joe ! Rockpalast [HDadv] Nov. 2011 - Spotlight

Honestly, as a Jimi Idiot, I am pretty hard to please in regards to covers of his work. Even this, I think is a little bloated when compared to the original - live.

There is also another cover that I want to mention. It is also a little bloated, but - it was done by a 17 year old live - on Mar. 17th -  in '17 even. Damn! That's special...this is special...

Kingfish plays Jimi Hendrix's "Hey Joe" @ The Blue Canoe in Tupelo, MS - Spotlight

Finally, I will list a final cover - but - it breaks the rules. Sorry. I've never been real good on rules.

Roy Buchanan - Hey Joe (Live From Austin TX) - Spotlight

Well - that's it for Joe today...enjoy. 😎

EDIT: Ooop - I forgot to mention the true original - as best can be determined:

Billy Roberts - Hey Joe (Original Version)

Not sure if this really counts as R & B, but this artist is as close as I come in my collection. The song that I love by him, I'm not even sure what genre it would be considered, but I guess I'll try to give him a little shine here and go out of my comfort zone.

12.xx - Trouble - Jose James (2013)
I got Mrs. Eephus tickets to see this guy for her Mother's Day gift.

Had never heard him before 4/29/2019 at 5:04 PM. 

:thumbup:

I don't know if we're still going with this category but I'm gonna post a couple more:

2000  Badly Drawn Boy - The Shining

Such a great album.  A few great songs on subsequent albums with much filler. He never topped his debut.

2019  Good Morning - You Up?

Enjoying these guys from Australia.
I'm an old French Horn player so I love the Shining.

The new song has lots of chords for such a short simple song.

One more same artist, different years

The Dandy Warhols - Nietzsche  (2000)

The Dandy Warhols - Motor City Steel  (2019)

Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia is a terrific album but could stand for some trimming IMO.  I'm picking the philosopher instead of the Karaoke favorite Bohemian Like You.  Nietzsche is a cool song to accompany huge mechs destroying cities.

Courtney-Courtney Taylor-Taylor's new album from January isn't great.  The song is an electropop ditty that sounds like Iggy's version of Rockabilly classic The Wild One (Real Wild Child).

Are we spotlighting the categories in general or are we sticking with 2000/2019? That said, what are the next categories up?

Trip Hop?

One more same artist, different years

The Dandy Warhols - Nietzsche  (2000)

The Dandy Warhols - Motor City Steel  (2019)

Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia is a terrific album but could stand for some trimming IMO.  I'm picking the philosopher instead of the Karaoke favorite Bohemian Like You.  Nietzsche is a cool song to accompany huge mechs destroying cities.

Courtney-Courtney Taylor-Taylor's new album from January isn't great.  The song is an electropop ditty that sounds like Iggy's version of Rockabilly classic The Wild One (Real Wild Child).
I love the shtick, if not The Dandy Warhols, though I'm willing to give them another chance per recommendation. 

Thirteen Tales is still a pretty cool album.

I have a bone to pick with anybody who doesn't dig Bohemian Like You.
Yeah, I haven't really heard their stuff. I think I'm thinking of The Wallflowers and being very, very confused about which group owns which song and which commercial it plays during. 

eta* Absolutely a good track, IMHO. We have no bone to pick on that one, really. 

Yeah, I haven't really heard their stuff. I think I'm thinking of The Wallflowers and being very, very confused about which group owns which song and which commercial it plays during. 

eta* Absolutely a good track, IMHO. We have no bone to pick on that one, really. 
There's one Wallflowers song I really like

The Wallflowers (feat. Mick Jones) - Reboot the Mission  (2012)

It's an obvious homage to The Clash circa Combat Rock.

rockaction said:
Are we spotlighting the categories in general or are we sticking with 2000/2019? That said, what are the next categories up?

Trip Hop?
Sure today's categories are Trip Hop and Aussie/New Zealand bands

Users who are viewing this thread