Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TheIronSheik

2020 MLB Spring Training

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

I think it is a good reminder of the importance of pitching. 

Yep. Not disagreeing with the choice. Really was a full team effort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Nats will win this boring game. I'm going to bed. Good night.

:bowtie:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Zow said:

When I was five years old I bought a necklace to mimic Doc Gooden. 
 

Been around for years. 


Thanks. I guess I’m mistaken.

 I could’ve sworn batters and pitchers weren’t allowed to wear shiny stuff as it can be distracting. 
 

Maybe I’m thinking of a different sport or it could’ve just been my stepfather #####ing and moaning about it back in the 80s.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:


Thanks. I guess I’m mistaken.

 I could’ve sworn batters and pitchers weren’t allowed to wear shiny stuff as it can be distracting. 
 

Maybe I’m thinking of a different sport or it could’ve just been my stepfather #####ing and moaning about it back in the 80s.
 

 

You can't in little league etc.... no idea when if MLB allowed it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, belljr said:

You can't in little league etc.... no idea when if MLB allowed it

A pitchers glove can't be two-tone or multi-colored.  I would be surprised if a MLB manager hasn't said something about a pitcher's bling.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great take by Gerrit Cole - shows up for post-game interview wearing a hat with Scott Boras' logo and starts the interview, "I'm not an employee of the team" then answers questions "as a representative of myself." I had no idea he was such a ####.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Great take by Gerrit Cole - shows up for post-game interview wearing a hat with Scott Boras' logo and starts the interview, "I'm not an employee of the team" then answers questions "as a representative of myself." I had no idea he was such a ####.

 

I missed this.  Pissed because they didn't let him pitch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Great take by Gerrit Cole - shows up for post-game interview wearing a hat with Scott Boras' logo and starts the interview, "I'm not an employee of the team" then answers questions "as a representative of myself." I had no idea he was such a ####.

 

Is this for real? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So didn't watch last night.  Kind of knew what the outcome was going to be anyway, so no real surprise.  Yesterday, my pops went in for a normal check up and they thought they found something in his heart.  He went to the hospital and had some tests run.  After a couple of stressful hours, it turned out it was a false alarm.  

Again, another example of where I kind of felt stupid all those years praying for my teams to win and getting upset for days after a loss.  And I'm not condemning anyone else with this statement other than my former self, but for all of my life I let sports dictate how I felt.  Whether as a player or as a fan.  About 5 years ago, I slowly started to realize that I had so much in life to be happy about that sports, while still important to me, really don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.  

So last night, I set the DVR to record the game and watched The Office with my wife and daughter.  When I woke up this morning to find out my Astros had lost, I simply deleted the recording and went on with my life.  Sure, slightly sad.  But happy for what I have.  

I'm happy for DC fans that get to experience their first win.  I remember it in 2008 and 2017 and 2018.  Those wins felt magical.  And I'm glad others get to experience that feeling.  Enjoy it and cherish it.  Include your family in it.  Make it a memory that they'll have forever, not just for the sports side of it.  

I'm proud of the Astros and all they accomplished.  It's not easy to win championships.  And I can't wait for Spring Training just a couple of months away.  Now, onto college basketball where my team is guaranteed to break my heart every year. I still have nightmares of Kenyon Martin breaking his leg in the conference tournament.  :lol:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Great take by Gerrit Cole - shows up for post-game interview wearing a hat with Scott Boras' logo and starts the interview, "I'm not an employee of the team" then answers questions "as a representative of myself." I had no idea he was such a ####.

 

Dude is just odd normally.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Great take by Gerrit Cole - shows up for post-game interview wearing a hat with Scott Boras' logo and starts the interview, "I'm not an employee of the team" then answers questions "as a representative of myself." I had no idea he was such a ####.

 

Wow.  That's a huge dick move, if true.  Kind of lose some respect for him if that's a true story.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Great take by Gerrit Cole - shows up for post-game interview wearing a hat with Scott Boras' logo and starts the interview, "I'm not an employee of the team" then answers questions "as a representative of myself." I had no idea he was such a ####.

 

If that's true and in context correctly, some guys you just don't mind hanging the loss on. 

I think, labor/capital issues aside, people can agree that's a little bit cynical regarding the whole thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockaction said:

If that's true and in context correctly, some guys you just don't mind hanging the loss on. 

I think, labor/capital issues aside, people can agree that's a little bit cynical regarding the whole thing.  

The thing is, just wait until tomorrow.  It's not like he needs to advertise his services.  And if we really want to get into it (not you and I, but me and Cole), if he would've pitched well in Game 1, Houston would've won the WS.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

So didn't watch last night.  Kind of knew what the outcome was going to be anyway, so no real surprise.  Yesterday, my pops went in for a normal check up and they thought they found something in his heart.  He went to the hospital and had some tests run.  After a couple of stressful hours, it turned out it was a false alarm.  

Again, another example of where I kind of felt stupid all those years praying for my teams to win and getting upset for days after a loss.  And I'm not condemning anyone else with this statement other than my former self, but for all of my life I let sports dictate how I felt.  Whether as a player or as a fan.  About 5 years ago, I slowly started to realize that I had so much in life to be happy about that sports, while still important to me, really don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.  

So last night, I set the DVR to record the game and watched The Office with my wife and daughter.  When I woke up this morning to find out my Astros had lost, I simply deleted the recording and went on with my life.  Sure, slightly sad.  But happy for what I have.  

I'm happy for DC fans that get to experience their first win.  I remember it in 2008 and 2017 and 2018.  Those wins felt magical.  And I'm glad others get to experience that feeling.  Enjoy it and cherish it.  Include your family in it.  Make it a memory that they'll have forever, not just for the sports side of it.  

I'm proud of the Astros and all they accomplished.  It's not easy to win championships.  And I can't wait for Spring Training just a couple of months away.  Now, onto college basketball where my team is guaranteed to break my heart every year. I still have nightmares of Kenyon Martin breaking his leg in the conference tournament.  :lol:  

I was like this regarding sports when I was younger.  When you get a older, I think the big picture comes into focus a bit better.  Its entertainment and should have no impact on how you view yourself in terms of your own happiness or outlook on life.  Last season, the Packers were 6-9-1. The last game I attended, they lost to the Cardinals and fired their coach while I was still driving home.  In the last game, they lost to the Lions at Lambeau 31-0.  I was entertained. They could win the Super Bowl this year and I don't think it would be any more or less entertaining for me than last season was.  The spectacle of it all is what drives the entertainment value.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

The thing is, just wait until tomorrow.  It's not like he needs to advertise his services.  And if we really want to get into it (not you and I, but me and Cole), if he would've pitched well in Game 1, Houston would've won the WS.  

You’re right. Pitching. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard Bregman struck out at the hotel bar After the game. #0forEverything

Edited by [icon]
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

You’re right. Pitching. 

Exactly.  His pitching sucked.  How long do you plan on stalking me with this?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Zow said:

Yeah Soto is odd. He does stuff that should be annoying (that weird crouch thing, the constant joking, the carrying the bat) but it comes across as endearing. 

he's like a good Puig

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Exactly.  His pitching sucked.  How long do you plan on stalking me with this?  

Idk. Just agreeing with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another huge factor for the Astros was that Altuve started to slump when they got to the WS.  I mean, they had the perfect storm of slumping this October.  Pitching started to fall apart.  Players couldn't get hits.  Big guys couldn't hit home runs.  

I'm still amazed that they made it to the WS.  To give you an idea how great that team was, they still made it to the WS with nothing firing on all cylinders.  That's crazy.  It also goes to show how great that Nats team was clicking.  This is a team that couldn't catch the Braves, yet was able to blow through everyone else like they were playing AAA teams.  

Make you wonder what would've happened if the Braves would've beat the Cards?  I love looking back on What If's after it's over.  Like, what if the Brewers don't make that error in CF?  It's crazy to think back and see how one or two plays changed the course of the entire postseason.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Another huge factor for the Astros was that Altuve started to slump when they got to the WS.  I mean, they had the perfect storm of slumping this October.  Pitching started to fall apart.  Players couldn't get hits.  Big guys couldn't hit home runs.  

I'm still amazed that they made it to the WS.  To give you an idea how great that team was, they still made it to the WS with nothing firing on all cylinders.  That's crazy.  It also goes to show how great that Nats team was clicking.  This is a team that couldn't catch the Braves, yet was able to blow through everyone else like they were playing AAA teams.  

Make you wonder what would've happened if the Braves would've beat the Cards?  I love looking back on What If's after it's over.  Like, what if the Brewers don't make that error in CF?  It's crazy to think back and see how one or two plays changed the course of the entire postseason.  

They've been playing this way since late May.  Saw they had the same record as the Astros since late May.  They couldn't catch the Braves because the Braves kept winning too.  It wasn't because they were losing a lot.

They also did it with Scherzer out a month, Doolittle out for a weeks, Zimmerman out over half the season, and Turner missed about 30% of the season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m more disappointed in Verlander than Cole. I think he ran out of gas at the end. He’s up in age, maybe declines more. Lose Cole. Lose Miley (not a huge deal) but hopefully get a healthy McCullers back. 

If Cole goes to the Angels it’s no big deal losing him but I’m concerned about pitching next year. If your pitching goes then you don’t have much of a shot, I don’t care who your other 8 are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Capella said:

Maybe I’m just old but when the bolts game is over I’m out too. I sound like my dad but I’ll just read about it in the morning. 

I went to bed around 11, woke up around 2am and checked my phone to see who won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:
23 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Another huge factor for the Astros was that Altuve started to slump when they got to the WS.  I mean, they had the perfect storm of slumping this October.  Pitching started to fall apart.  Players couldn't get hits.  Big guys couldn't hit home runs.  

I'm still amazed that they made it to the WS.  To give you an idea how great that team was, they still made it to the WS with nothing firing on all cylinders.  That's crazy.  It also goes to show how great that Nats team was clicking.  This is a team that couldn't catch the Braves, yet was able to blow through everyone else like they were playing AAA teams.  

Make you wonder what would've happened if the Braves would've beat the Cards?  I love looking back on What If's after it's over.  Like, what if the Brewers don't make that error in CF?  It's crazy to think back and see how one or two plays changed the course of the entire postseason.  

They've been playing this way since late May.  Saw they had the same record as the Astros since late May.  They couldn't catch the Braves because the Braves kept winning too.  It wasn't because they were losing a lot.

They also did it with Scherzer out a month, Doolittle out for a weeks, Zimmerman out over half the season, and Turner missed about 30% of the season.  

Yeah, in my revelry last night, I was looking back at the Nats thread for posts earlier this season and noticed that I posted on May 4th how the Nats' lineup looked like something out of a spring training split squad game.  Looked it up, and it was this (with Turner, Rendon, Zim, and Soto all on the IL, I think):

Adam Eaton (L) RF
Brian Dozier (R) 2B
Howie Kendrick (R) 3B
Matt Adams (L) 1B
Yan Gomes (R) C
Carter Kieboom (R) SS
Andrew Stevenson (L) LF
Michael A. Taylor (R) CF
Patrick Corbin (L) P

Edited by Don Quixote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bryan Price hired by the Phils as the pitching coach.

I also saw some articles saying that the Phils are going to at least make a run at Cole.  I think that's a bad move.  I think they should go after Rendon.  Also, what if Strasburg opts out now that he won?  The Phillies could just become the Washington Nationals of Philadelphia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

They've been playing this way since late May.  Saw they had the same record as the Astros since late May.  They couldn't catch the Braves because the Braves kept winning too.  It wasn't because they were losing a lot.

They also did it with Scherzer out a month, Doolittle out for a weeks, Zimmerman out over half the season, and Turner missed about 30% of the season.  

The Nats couldn't catch them because they couldn't beat them.  They went 3-7 in their last 10 games against them.  And 7 of those games were in September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

They've been playing this way since late May.  Saw they had the same record as the Astros since late May.  They couldn't catch the Braves because the Braves kept winning too.  It wasn't because they were losing a lot.

They also did it with Scherzer out a month, Doolittle out for a weeks, Zimmerman out over half the season, and Turner missed about 30% of the season.  

Also, it's important to note that I'm giving the Nats a huge compliment here.  I said they were playing great.  Not sure where the argument is.  :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I heard it on the radio this morning. seems legit: https://www.foxnews.com/sports/gerrit-cole-boras-corp-astros-world-series-free-agent

 

Wow. That's, um, odd. Clearly he's not interested in going back to Houston and, clearly, he's a bit tone-deaf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zow said:

Wow. That's, um, odd. Clearly he's not interested in going back to Houston and, clearly, he's a bit tone-deaf. 

So I saw the pictures and I saw the quotes.  It's true.

I just don't get that move.  You couldn't wait one night?  It just seems so odd.  I hope there's more to the story, because I've come to really like the guy.  But this is a bad look for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

So I saw the pictures and I saw the quotes.  It's true.

I just don't get that move.  You couldn't wait one night?  It just seems so odd.  I hope there's more to the story, because I've come to really like the guy.  But this is a bad look for him.

maybe he is pissed that he didn't get a chance to pitch after Greinke got yanked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

maybe he is pissed that he didn't get a chance to pitch after Greinke got yanked?

From everything I've heard, the thought is that starters take longer to warm up than relievers.  So the thought was that once they pulled Greinke, they would bring in Harris, who had been lights out, and then Cole would come in after him.  It makes sense.  Just didn't account for Harris to give up the lead on just a couple of pitches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

From everything I've heard, the thought is that starters take longer to warm up than relievers.  So the thought was that once they pulled Greinke, they would bring in Harris, who had been lights out, and then Cole would come in after him.  It makes sense.  Just didn't account for Harris to give up the lead on just a couple of pitches.

That does not preclude him from being pissed about it.  I also think I heard something before the game about the coach planning on not using him.  So he may have been pre-pissed, which may explain why the Boras hat was handy - seriously who keeps one of them handy?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

That does not preclude him from being pissed about it.  I also think I heard something before the game about the coach planning on not using him.  So he may have been pre-pissed, which may explain why the Boras hat was handy - seriously who keeps one of them handy?

Frankly, if he's worried about his personal and financial future, he probably is better off not being brought into a game mid-inning on short rest. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Zow said:

Frankly, if he's worried about his personal and financial future, he probably is better off not being brought into a game mid-inning on short rest. 

And had he failed to hold it Hinch still gets second guessed to death for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

And had he failed to hold it Hinch still gets second guessed to death for it. 

No doubt. 

Real tough spot for Hinch. I frankly agreed with his moves. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheIronSheik said:

Another huge factor for the Astros was that Altuve started to slump when they got to the WS.  I mean, they had the perfect storm of slumping this October.  Pitching started to fall apart.  Players couldn't get hits.  Big guys couldn't hit home runs.  

I'm still amazed that they made it to the WS.  To give you an idea how great that team was, they still made it to the WS with nothing firing on all cylinders.  That's crazy.  It also goes to show how great that Nats team was clicking.  This is a team that couldn't catch the Braves, yet was able to blow through everyone else like they were playing AAA teams.  

Make you wonder what would've happened if the Braves would've beat the Cards?  I love looking back on What If's after it's over.  Like, what if the Brewers don't make that error in CF?  It's crazy to think back and see how one or two plays changed the course of the entire postseason.  

I don't think its quite accurate to say the Nats' were "able to blow through everyone else like they were playing AAA teams."  That was true for the series against the Cards, but they had a tough series against the juggernaut Dodgers in which they got hammered for 2 losses and needed extra innings to win game 5.  In the wild card game, they were down 3-1 with two outs in the 8th inning facing the 2 time reliever of the year winner and managed to win 4-3.  Its really quite improbable this team even made it to the world series, and even moreso that they won it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NREC34 said:

I’m more disappointed in Verlander than Cole. I think he ran out of gas at the end.

I wonder if his last-game effort to (successfully) get to 300 Ks was a factor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hinch said they had a plan to go to Cole after Osuna but obviously that was blown to hell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaysus said:

That does not preclude him from being pissed about it.  I also think I heard something before the game about the coach planning on not using him.  So he may have been pre-pissed, which may explain why the Boras hat was handy - seriously who keeps one of them handy?

Yeah.  I can't answer that.  I just know about the starters taking longer to warm up.  

AJ Hinch is an awesome manager.  And it's really hard to second guess his decisions.  That doesn't mean he's perfect, but he's a great manager.  All that said, I'm not sure what the plan was or why Cole wasn't out there.  Sometimes things just go bad.  It sucks.  Especially for an Astros fan in this situation.  But AJ's been so good.  

The fact that Cole had a Boras hat ready is really weird, though.  I really hope this is just us not knowing all of the facts because I really liked Cole.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I don't think its quite accurate to say the Nats' were "able to blow through everyone else like they were playing AAA teams."  That was true for the series against the Cards, but they had a tough series against the juggernaut Dodgers in which they got hammered for 2 losses and needed extra innings to win game 5.  In the wild card game, they were down 3-1 with two outs in the 8th inning facing the 2 time reliever of the year winner and managed to win 4-3.  Its really quite improbable this team even made it to the world series, and even moreso that they won it.

 

I find it odd that people are taking issue with me calling the Nats a great team.  :confused:

I'm not saying they played AAA level teams.  I'm saying they were playing so well, that they looked like an All Star team out there.  As someone else pointed out, they had the best record in baseball from about the halfway point of the season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I find it odd that people are taking issue with me calling the Nats a great team.  :confused:

I'm not saying they played AAA level teams.  I'm saying they were playing so well, that they looked like an All Star team out there.  As someone else pointed out, they had the best record in baseball from about the halfway point of the season.  

I'm definitely not taking issue with the notion that the Nationals were a great and deserving champion.  I took your comment that the Nats "were able to blow through everyone else like they were playing AAA teams" to mean that they breezed through the playoffs.  That's not true.  They breezed past the cardinals (which I loved), but the wild card game and the series against the Dodgers were both hard-fought, narrow wins.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I'm definitely not taking issue with the notion that the Nationals were a great and deserving champion.  I took your comment that the Nats "were able to blow through everyone else like they were playing AAA teams" to mean that they breezed through the playoffs.  That's not true.  They breezed past the cardinals (which I loved), but the wild card game and the series against the Dodgers were both hard-fought, narrow wins.

 

Yeah, I didn't mean it like that.  I meant that they were a powerhouse to be reckoned with.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

I wonder if his last-game effort to (successfully) get to 300 Ks was a factor.

Yeah probably was a factor. 

It does no good to put up stats and wins in the regular season and then not continue the same way when you get to the postseason. Maybe they limit him during the year next year, idk. 

Of course even when he was a young stud he still never won a WS game. It’s possible that he just gets nervous on that stage also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.