What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

🏈🏈🏈 OFFICIAL 2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD - LIVE FROM MOTOWN 🏈🏈🏈 (4 Viewers)

Value increase from year 3 to 4

All players: 32%
5th year option picked up: 36%
5th year option declined: 32%

Value increase from year 4 to 5

All players: 37%
5th year option picked up: 44%
5th year option declined: 33%

Dynasty superflex drafts are going to be fun!
Updated!
Half-soused prelim halfway through the 1st rd. TEP:

I can see Dallas 2nd rnd RB maybe jumping in there and bumping Bowers or Penix down.

Bowers I had much, much higher until he went to Oakland. I didn't even consider Nix, thought he'd go 2nd round, but that helped my 1.10 rookie pick.
Updated SF TEP!!!
1. Caleb
2. Daniels
3. Harrison
4. JJ
5. Maye
6. Odunze
7/8 Nix/Nabers
9. Bowers
10. Worthy
11. Penix
12. DAL/LAC RB (assuming day 2)

2nd rd: BUF WR, Pearsall, Ladd, Adonai, ..7 random players ... Legette.

Quick thoughts:

I like what Buffalo is doing. They clearly didn't want Worthy or Legette (both reaches in my opinion) so why not trade down? If they get DeJean at #33, I think they are knocking it out of the park.

I'll gladly be letting everyone else draft Worthy in fantasy. Probably will help Kelce/Pacheco be undervalued.

Bears knocking it out the park. Good job not getting too cute, and either trading down, or reaching for a LT that they don't really need.

I think SF is making a mistake at WR if they deal Deebo or Aiyuk. They can afford both for another year, and they are in their window. Deebo's cap hit if they deal him, isn't even really saving them money.

I don't get what Atlanta is doing at all, both because I dislike Penix, but also taking a QB at #8 in general.

Major props to Howie Roseman (as usual) staying put and getting Mitchell who is my 2nd favorite defensive player in the class.

I'll be curious to see if Getsy can utilize Bowers well. In theory using him as a big slot, with Mayer playing in-line with Adams/Meyers out wide is a dangerous group, unfortunately its Minshew at the helm.

I think lots of teams are gonna feel really stupid about undervaluing CBs. Both the guys who already went and DeJean/McKinstry.

Can't say I liked the Latham pick at #7. Felt to me like they were hoping for Alt, and then couldn't move down when he was picked.

Lastly, I got 27 or 32 of the 1st round players taken right. Only Morgan, D. Robinson, Worthy (all of whom I had top-38) Pearsall, and Legette (who I had as 3rd rounders, though I liked Pearsall more, I thought the NFL didn't) were wrong. DeJean (looking like steal of the draft) Rakestraw (who I let Jeremiah talk me into as a late 1st, even though I'm not a big fan) Kool-Aid, Mitchell, and JPJ (I think teams will regret letting him fall) were missing.

Updated!

I can see Dallas 2nd rnd RB maybe jumping in there and bumping Bowers or Penix down.

Bowers I had much, much higher until he went to Oakland. I didn't even consider Nix, thought he'd go 2nd round, but that helped my 1.10 rookie pick.
Updated SF TEP!!!
1. Caleb
2. Daniels
3. Harrison
4. JJ
5. Maye
6. Odunze
7/8 Nix/Nabers
9. Bowers
10. Worthy
11. Penix

Brian Thomas Jr.? :missing:

@Uruk-Hai got his tall corner
I'm a little surprised they didn't take Kool-Aid there, as he'd been linked to the Ravens recently.

Once all of the OTs got taken (& the DBs kept slipping), it was a foregone conclusion Baltimore was going CB.

I think pretty much every position is in play for the Ravens tonight except QB & TE.

Worthy gonna shoot up boards after tonight
1.3 ?
1.4 over Bowers for some I’m
Sure. I’d love to have 1.05 and have Bowers slip to me there in TEP over worthy
I was trying to trade 1.05 for anything higher for weeks. Even looking to overpay to move up. I think I'm good now.
Yup. 1.05 looks much more appealing now. I just traded 1.11 and Dotson to get to 1.05 this morning. It a better launch pad now to move to 1.02-1.03 or for an establish veteran

I'm loving this first round from a fantasy perspective, I kind of think I can get the players I want at both 11 and 15 (SF) without needing to trade up. Might even be able to trade out of the 11 at this rate

Most notable thing about this draft was Roger Goodell’s makeup can no longer hide his age. At 65 he is hardly old. But he is worn down, slow and lacked enthusiasm. He looks like a president after 8 years in office.

Most notable thing about this draft was Roger Goodell’s makeup can no longer hide his age. At 65 he is hardly old. But he is worn down, slow and lacked enthusiasm. He looks like a president after 8 years in office.

He just had back surgery and JC Latham gave him a giant hug. lol, He was never the same.

All the "day 1 draft losers" articles I'm reading might be some of the biggest knee-jerk reactions I've ever read. I'll take the other side on these 3...

Raiders = Brilliant. Bowers is a receiving TE/WR. Plain and simple in my mind. Didn't reach for a QB or overspend to move up, and instead get a top 5 overall talent at 13.

Falcons = Visionary. Steal a successful move from the Packers, as Cousins deal could easily be only 3 years. Giving Penix time to learn with his amazing arm talent will pay ridiculously high dividends.

Bills = Savy. Move down twice. Still have top WRs available (better than 5-7 that were taken) and pick up more capital. Maybe my favorite moves of the night. And they don't have to go WR at 33 either and could wait for 60 and still get a solid one.

Last edited:
Quick thoughts:

I like what Buffalo is doing. They clearly didn't want Worthy or Legette (both reaches in my opinion) so why not trade down? If they get DeJean at #33, I think they are knocking it out of the park.
I like DeJean and I love the fit for Buffalo, but with their current WR room, if they don’t come away with a WR until pick 60…whew.

That being said, the Bills have 4 5th round picks now. I would anticipate them burning at least 2 of them to move up somewhere.

The Bills obviously don’t love any of the WRs in this range though, otherwise they would have already taken their guy.

Quick thoughts:

I like DeJean and I love the fit for Buffalo, but with their current WR room, if they don’t come away with a WR until pick 60…whew.

That being said, the Bills have 4 5th round picks now. I would anticipate them burning at least 2 of them to move up somewhere.

The Bills obviously don’t love any of the WRs in this range though, otherwise they would have already taken their guy.
Will the Bills go get Aiyuk today?

Quick thoughts:

Will the Bills go get Aiyuk today?

Unless they did something overnight, it’s not even an option because they can’t afford him under their cap right now. So they can’t do a deal that would put them over the cap. They only have about $10M in space and Aiyuk’s contract is $14M guaranteed under the 5th year option.

I also think the Bills really do want to go younger cheaper to try to avoid the cap situations they’ve dealt with this year and last year.

If the Bills were to trade for Aiyuk, I think it would have to be after June 1st when they get $10M added to their cap.

All the "day 1 draft losers" articles I'm reading might be some of the biggest knee-jerk reactions I've ever read. I'll take the other side on these 3...

Raiders = Brilliant. Bowers is a receiving TE/WR. Plain and simple in my mind. Didn't reach for a QB or overspend to move up, and instead get a top 5 overall talent at 13.

Falcons = Visionary. Steal a successful move from the Packers, as Cousins deal could easily be only 3 years. Giving Penix time to learn with his amazing arm talent will pay ridiculously high dividends.

Bills = Savy. Move down twice. Still have top WRs available (better than 5-7 that were taken) and pick up more capital. Maybe my favorite moves of the night. And they don't have to go WR at 33 either and could wait for 60 and still get a solid one.
They should take a WR at 33

Quick thoughts:

I was reading having pick 33 gives them all day to work a deal for Tee Higgins. Could easily be draft day gossip type stuff.

Bills didn't have to go WR in Rd1, but I thought they should. They can't get too cute with value when they have a contender with a glaring need. Although I agree that DeJean would be a great pick in this spot.

Is it weird to say that I think the Raiders made the best pick possible, but are still draft losers? I can't look at that roster and say it has improved at all since last year.

Updated!

Updated SF TEP!!!
1. Caleb
2. Daniels
3. Harrison
4. JJ
5. Maye
6. Odunze
7/8 Nix/Nabers
9. Bowers
10. Worthy
11. Penix

Brian Thomas Jr.? :missing:
Whoops. Already forgettable. Early 2nd I suppose. I’ll likely have zero shares.

Disagree. It's almost two full round bump for ONE draft spot
One draft spot that loses a cost-controlled 5th year. Bengals just had to FT Tee Higgins for $24M while Aiyuk's 5th year was $14M. $10M in cap space is a big deal. I don't hate the trade down on its face but you gotta get more than a 5th round bumped pick for it. CAR just raw-dogged BUF with "the chart says one slot is only worth blah blah blah, so here you go we'll give you that".

Unless they did something overnight, it’s not even an option because they can’t afford him under their cap right now. So they can’t do a deal that would put them over the cap. They only have about $10M in space and Aiyuk’s contract is $14M guaranteed under the 5th year option.
They could easily re-work it. $40M signing bonus over 5 years is $8M a year, $1M base salary, 2024 dollars become $41M should keep him plenty happy.

They could easily re-work it. $40M signing bonus over 5 years is $8M a year, $1M base salary, 2024 dollars become $41M should keep him plenty happy.
You can’t re-work a deal before the trade is executed. They have to have the space for his current deal before they complete the trade.

You can’t re-work a deal before the trade is executed. They have to have the space for his current deal before they complete the trade.
Trivial, just re-work someone for a $4M push or do a deferred signing bonus and have SF sign-and-trade. My point was Aiyuk's number doesn't have to be $14M for 2024.

What a lousy night. Stay up for the whole draft to watch the Bills pick only to see them trade out of the first, including giving their arch rival the player they needed.
On top of that, as a Penn State grad and Tar Heel fan, saw Maye go to the Pats, Fashanu go to the Jets and Robinson go to the Phins. Now I can't root for any of them!
:kicksrock:

What a lousy night. Stay up for the whole draft to watch the Bills pick only to see them trade out of the first, including giving their arch rival the player they needed.
On top of that, as a Penn State grad and Tar Heel fan, saw Maye go to the Pats, Fashanu go to the Jets and Robinson go to the Phins. Now I can't root for any of them!
:kicksrock:
You need to start going to church.

Penix would be 27 and only have 2 years left on his rookie deal if Cousins plays 3 years. 28 and on his final season if Kirk goes all 4. Head scratcher that does nothing to improve the team after dumping millions and millions of guaranteed money already into the position.

Penix would be 27 and only have 2 years left on his rookie deal if Cousins plays 3 years. 28 and on his final season if Kirk goes all 4. Head scratcher that does nothing to improve the team after dumping millions and millions of guaranteed money already into the position.
i would think the Falcons aren't good enough to have a luxury pick at #8 overall, but that may be just me. They could have used that pick to help their team in other ways.

Last edited:
If Penix shows good early progress there would be a nice market for Cousins. Contract is trade-able-ish, $37.5M dead in 2025 (still saves $2.5M), $25M dead in 2026 ($32.5M) so if he's healthy a contender should be all over it with cap hits of just the salaries in each year - $27.5M and $35M. They can probably screw the Jets out of a 2nd if those donkeys aren't fired before that.

If Penix shows good early progress there would be a nice market for Cousins. Contract is trade-able-ish, $37.5M dead in 2025 (still saves $2.5M), $25M dead in 2026 ($32.5M) so if he's healthy a contender should be all over it with cap hits of just the salaries in each year - $27.5M and $35M. They can probably screw the Jets out of a 2nd if those donkeys aren't fired before that.
Cousins contract includes a no-trade clause.

Quick thoughts:

I've kinda thought all along that WR isn't as big a need as people think it is. They REALLY like Curtis Samuel, and I think they trust Shakir as a starter. With Kincaid likely moving into 120+ target land, I think WR while a need, isn't the huge priority its been sold as.

Also, there should be some very good WR prospects at #60. Even if I'd love to see McConkey as #33, I think DeJean is a better player at a bigger need.

Also, did he have several mis pronunciations or have I been getting it wrong?

Also, did he have several mis pronunciations or have I been getting it wrong?
Noticed that too. Was watching with a couple friends and we were joking that Roger was sipping Bourbon between picks.

Also, Latham might have caused some back damage with that bear hug (seriously). Body can't take those kind of jolts at his age.

Which really just means he’ll get to choose his new team.

Which really just means he’ll get to choose his new team.
What kind of market will there be for a 38-39 year old QB (going to be 36 headed into this season) who is going to demand more big guaranteed money contracts? Also I'm pretty sure he's not interested in moving his family again. I think he wants to retire a Falcon.

What kind of market will there be for a 38-39 year old QB (going to be 36 headed into this season) who is going to demand more big guaranteed money contracts? Also I'm pretty sure he's not interested in moving his family again. I think he wants to retire a Falcon.
This was on the premise that Penix shows early progress. So 2025 or 2026. There would be plenty of interest from a win-now team to bring in a solid veteran on a cheap deal for a short term rental. The fact he got $100M guaranteed this offseason shows that, teams that are ready to win will pay up.

Pick 32 gets $2.3M more than pick 33 over the first 4 years.

The 5th year option doesn't get used that often on late 1st rounders, now that it's fully guaranteed and scales with playing time & Pro Bowls. Only 1 of the last 10 first round picks from the 2020 draft had their 5th year option exercised (Aiyuk); there is also 1 player where having the option available might have helped the team in contract negotiations (Love).

Aiyuk on the 5th year option is making $7.7M less than the 2024 franchise tag for WRs. If he'd made a Pro Bowl in his first 3 years it would be only $3.8M below the tag.

So it's questionable whether the option is worth the extra $2.3M in salary.

This was on the premise that Penix shows early progress. So 2025 or 2026. There would be plenty of interest from a win-now team to bring in a solid veteran on a cheap deal for a short term rental. The fact he got $100M guaranteed this offseason shows that, teams that are ready to win will pay up.
Looks like the GM could use your help in explaining the move to his boss Arthur Blank.

Looks like the GM could use your help in explaining the move to his boss Arthur Blank.

Blank is 81. Probably more in a "win now" frame of mind :wink:

I have no idea what happens in 2025, less so about 2026. But in a world where Joe Flacco got signed mid season and made the playoffs, it’s entirely possible for a contender to lose a QB due to injury, or even something like Dallas not wanting to pay Dak what he wants, but being willing to pay less $ for cousins and make an offer.

Kirk keeps ignoring my calls, so I haven’t asked him about his retirement plans yet.

If Aiyuk does get traded, I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how little draft compensation it costs. I'm thinking a 3rd, which would be his comp pick value 2 years from now, would be the ceiling. I think a 4th this year or a 3rd next year gets it done.

I have no idea what happens in 2025, less so about 2026. But in a world where Joe Flacco got signed mid season and made the playoffs, it’s entirely possible for a contender to lose a QB due to injury, or even something like Dallas not wanting to pay Dak what he wants, but being willing to pay less $ for cousins and make an offer.

Kirk keeps ignoring my calls, so I haven’t asked him about his retirement plans yet.
When it comes to contracts, Kirk is a winner. He's not taking less money. Ever.

If Aiyuk does get traded, I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how little draft compensation it costs. I'm thinking a 3rd, which would be his comp pick value 2 years from now, would be the ceiling. I think a 4th this year or a 3rd next year gets it done.
Been saying it all offseason, Aiyuk isn't going anywhere. If any SF WR gets traded, it's gonna be Deebo.

And zero chance Aiyuk gets moved for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Last edited:
Have to disagree. 5th year is cheap and can FT him. Doubt they move him though. Don’t want to take away your best all around WR from a young QB. Think it’s Deebo. Will miss him but makes the most sense if they decide they can’t keep both.

When it comes to contracts, Kirk is a winner. He's not taking less money. Ever.
He’ll almost certainly take less than Dak.

Users who are viewing this thread