What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

šŸŽ *OFFICIAL 2022 Horse Racing Extravaganza Traveling Road Show Thread - Life Gettin' Better At Big Sandy* šŸŽ (1 Viewer)

alright, let's toss the #6 šŸ up in there with the 4/7 ... gimme that home cookin' with Houghton šŸ“

4/6,7/6,7

play it back, if you'd like - but i expect a monster run outta ER.Ā 

otb_lifer said:
Ohio DerbyĀ 

Saturday, June 25thĀ 

9f on the dirt

decent field for this 500k GIII bullring bonanza - some familiar names, looking to pick up a lil' steam heading into the Summer Stakes season.Ā 

three KD refugees - winners of the TB Derby (CC), Fla. Derby (Whitey), Ruby (Tawny P) - along with hotshot winner of the Sir Barton in Ethereal Road, who is the one i'm backing here, BIGLY - his scratch from the Derby proved historic, his scratch from Belmont; not so much.Ā 

note that ol' CC has been switched to the McPeek barn, will be his first start for them.Ā 

Irad parachutes in to hop on Tawny P for Cox.

The Field:

1-Barese, Kendrick Carmouch, 9-2

2-Brigadier General, Reylu Gutierrez, 12-1

3-Droppin G's, Malcolm Franklin, 8-1

4-Ethereal Road, Rafael Bejarano, 4-1

5-White Abarrio, Tyler Gaffalione, 7-2

6-Pineapple Man, T.D. Houghton, 10-1

7-Tawny Port, Irad Ortiz Jr., 3-1

8 - Classic Causeway, Brian Hernandez Jr., 6-1

šŸ“Ā  lookin' like a cold 4/7 exacta play for me atm, hefty win wager on the 4Ā  šŸ“

will dig further on the hometown flavas for possible inclusion ... always love some home cookin'.

ps - White Abby has never impressed me in the least - big ball of MEH, imo ... he may have had the best of the Gulfstream prep season, but i don't think he's gonna be as good as Charge It or Simplification going forward. easy toss out the money for me here.Ā Ā 

:deadhorse:
In on the cold ex

Atb on the 1

jockey upgrade , nice price at the momentĀ 

7:58 a.m. Sunday morning ... here with my first cuppa - aaaaaand Ethereal RoadĀ just crossed the line!1!!1

ooofff.Ā 

easy peezy 'capping in hindsight, amirite? take the 3 Derby horses ... put the finisher (Tawny P) on top, then go by class (Whitey/CC) - ok. there's yer result.Ā 

want more hindsight?Ā 

Saez opted for a 200k mount elsewhere yesterday rather than taking the whistle to Thistle for this 500k affair on ER, while Irad made the trip to get his picture taken ... i was hot on Tawny P as well, but totally botched my winner prognostication.

Abby ran a decent effort - but, tbh, lest he drops down in class i doubt we see him in the winner's circle again - maybe if he returns to GulPstream - if they trot this one out in the big boy races coming up he's gonna get eaten the #### alive.Ā 

dunno what Bejerano was doing on ER, who was last on first call, next to last at the half ... then easily 7 or so lengths behind as they hit the 3/4 - sure he made up nice ground in the Barton, but this was a hefty step up - i was bamboozled/hornswaggled - it did look for a split second that his 3 wide charge had some giddyup, but a very non threatening 4th was best they had.Ā 

:ptts:

*NOTE ON IRAD ORTIZ Jr. - *

saw a pretty cool post yesterday on a FB page, from a trackside punter who has lingering tremors in his hands from a stroke he suffered years ago ... he was at the rail as Irad was making his way towards the crowd for glad hands and greetings ... fella said his hands were shaking quite a bit as Irad approached, and he thought the jock would avoid him ... but Irad went to him first as the chap was fumbling with his phone, trying to set up a pic - Irad took the giy's phone, and snapped away - was the perfect gentleman, and really made the guy's day.Ā 

kicker is that the punter was not an Irad fan, said he was really turned off by the incident where Irad clocked Paco Lopez - but he was very taken aback by how cool Irad was with him yesterday.Ā 

so we got that going for us.Ā 

Last edited by a moderator:
NEXT UP:

2022 Haskell Stakes (G1)

Monmouth Park 7/23/22

1 1/8 m, Dirt; 3 M

*Probables as of 6/26*

Home Brew B. Cox

White Abarrio S. Joseph, Jr.Ā 

Taiba T. Yakteen

Jack Christopher C. Brown

Cyberknife B. Cox

... always a souped up surface down the shore come midsummer - really psyched to see Jackie C set the track record - it's in play.Ā 

they'll be blazing, no question.Ā 

race needs a deep closer, hoping some of the big timber of that ilk give this a go ... but if JC can get the distance it should be lights out.Ā 

oh, hai, Taiba!Ā 

:bye:

THE WAR DOWN THE SHORE.Ā 

i may be taking the NJT xpress from Newark to catch this mutha in person.Ā 

it's been awhile.Ā 

:coffee:

Life Is GoodĀ 

returns to action this Saturday at beautiful Belmont Park, in the GII Nerud Stakes.Ā 

Prat gets the call, as regular pilot Irad will be serving another 5 day sit - Pletcher barn, first out since a very disappointing 4th in the Dubai WC, where Frankie Detorri willed Country Grammar (Baffert) to the stunning upset.Ā 

prior to that, this beast hadĀ seven career starts: 6 wins, 1 place.Ā 

great to see him getting in gear for the second half of the season here in my backyard.Ā 

aaaahhhh, what coulda been had the ankle chip not shelved him ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Life Is Good is gonna have some top-flight company Saturday - a pivot from Speaker's Corner puts him in the mix ...

A change of plans has ignited a potential rivalry between high-profile, older colts Life Is Good andĀ Speakerā€™s Corner, who are expected to meet Saturday in the seven-furlong, Grade 2Ā John A. Nerud StakesĀ at BelmontĀ 

Speakerā€™s Corner, who had won three graded stakes to start the year, faded to a third-place finish last out June 11 in the Met Mile (G1), losing to Flightline and Happy Saver. It marked the first time in six tries that he had lost a race in open company. His victory April 9 in the seven-furlong Carter Handicap (G1) at Aqueduct yielded a 114 Beyer Speed Figure, still the best of the year, according toĀ Daily Racing Form.

Trained by Bill Mott, the 4-year-old Godolphin homebred by Street Sense was being aimed for the Forego (G1) on Aug. 27 at Saratoga. Since that still is two months away, that may remain the long-range goal for the summer.

ā€œWe donā€™t feel like we want to stretch him out,ā€ Banahan had told NYRA. ā€œWe tried that last year, and he probably doesnā€™t want to do that the top end.ā€

Life Is Good already had been committed to the Nerud for his comeback from a fourth-place finish March 28 in the 1 1/4-mile Dubai World Cup (G1). The WinStar-owned 4-year-old by Into Mischief already has Grade 1 victories in the Breedersā€™ Cup Dirt Mile and the Pegasus World Cup Invitational, in which he got a 110 Beyer. Life Is Good has been trained by Todd Pletcher since last summer, when he was transferred from the West Coast barn of Bob Baffert.

:popcorn:

I would have given the nod to Life is Good despite the first time back in the states if not for Speakers Corner joining in. Last time out Speakers Corner set some fast fractions and couldn't keep up with the beast that is Flightline, but who could have. Before that race SC was winning some solid races and I think the cut back in distance is only going to help.Ā 

I would have given the nod to Life is Good despite the first time back in the states if not for Speakers Corner joining in. Last time out Speakers Corner set some fast fractions and couldn't keep up with the beast that is Flightline, but who could have. Before that race SC was winning some solid races and I think the cut back in distance is only going to help.Ā 

kudos to SC's connections for stepping up here ... his second in a row vs a legit behemoth, gotta love it - no ducking from this cat.Ā 

really spices up what would've otherwise been a likely paid workout for LiG - now he'll certainly get tested, as that cutback to 7f makes quite a difference for the challenger.Ā 

mutually beneficial to both horses, and a real treat for us punters ... it isn't often (if at all) that this game gets it "right" on all levels, but this time they did.Ā 

gonna be a hoot.

šŸ“šŸ“

Who we like in the Stephen Foster? Olympiad vs Mandaloun.Ā 

Olympiad is coming in winning the last 4 races, 3 of which stakes races. Mandaloun might be the most overrated horse in the country coming off a terrible Saudi Cup race but I believe is the morning line favorite.Ā Ā 

holy cow. Flightline wins the Pacific Classic by 20 lengths. worth watching if you missed it.

That was against some pretty good horses too - he's almost certainly going to be heaviest favorite in Breeders Cup Classic history. His CLOSEST race in his career was a 6 length win.

holy cow. Flightline wins the Pacific Classic by 20 lengths. worth watching if you missed it.
MONSTER. He went from 6 furlongs, 6 furlongs, 7 furlongs, 1 mile then jumped to 1 1/4. Not many horses can progress that fast to those distances. The jump from a 1 turn mile to 2 turns and another 1/4 mile is huge. Thought he had a chance to tire and get upset yesterday. Nope. Hand ride geared down. Just an absolute freak

Will Rogers Downs race 7 includes a 9 year-old gelding coming off of a 5 year layoff. Last race was October 28, 2017. Not betting it, but I don't think I've seen anything like that before.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a situation where there was something like a regulation in place that says you need to run a horse every so often to keep your trainer's license and they looked around the barn and said, "let's send him out there."

Thinking about heading to Gulfstream tomorrow for some low-stakes betting and beer drinking. Now that my son is 18, he is all excited to bet some $2 Trifectas and win fat stacks of cash. LOL.
We used to go periodically but haven't been in a few years. Winters in Florida at Gulfstream aren't a bad way to spend the day. Watch some ponies, have some cold drinks, make some bets when the mood strikes. Good times.

Thinking about heading to Gulfstream tomorrow for some low-stakes betting and beer drinking. Now that my son is 18, he is all excited to bet some $2 Trifectas and win fat stacks of cash. LOL.
We used to go periodically but haven't been in a few years. Winters in Florida at Gulfstream aren't a bad way to spend the day. Watch some ponies, have some cold drinks, make some bets when the mood strikes. Good times.
Some of my best racing luck came playing Florida tracks. Gulfstream, Hialeah, Tampa. I once cashed a 70-1 maiden winner at Calder. Maybe one day I'll actually make it there in person, lol.

I'm on a long boring call that I only have to listen in on. Playing a random $25,000 maiden claimer at Aqueduct. Race 8, $2 8/all exacta wheel.
10 minutes to post.

Iā€™ve mentioned before that the stupid state I live in, Arizona, doesnā€™t let you bet on Monarch tracks because of some dumb, convoluted dispute I wonā€™t rehash. This means I canā€™t legally bet on (for example) Santa Anita or Pimlico. Last year they let us bet the Preakness (in person only if I remember correctly) at the last minute. So, I just went down to the OTB and apparently that didnā€™t happen this year. I withdrew cash for no reason. And I canā€™t bet the stupid Preakness. Arizona is so mind-boggingly stupid sometimes I canā€™t even wrap my ahead around it.
Which reminds me that this got resolved and all tracks are finally available in Arizona now.

Users who are viewing this thread