What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

100 Best Songs of 2023. #1 Posted, Playlist in first post (1 Viewer)

#69 - Smoking Again - IAN SWEET
First off, IAN SWEET is the stage name of Jilian Medford, so I was confused the first couple times when some guy named Ian was singing so beautifully to me. Anyway, another big hooky, singalong chorus leads the way here. "Oh, I've been a mess // Haven't slept // Started smoking again"

#68 - MUD - Slow Pulp
These guys are opening for the upcoming leg of the Postal Service/Death Cab tour and I have tickets in the spring - really looking forward to it. This whole album is good, has a nice 90s alt rock feel. The drums kind of take the lead on this slow burner.

#67 - Miami - Caroline Rose
Big ol' banger of a breakup anthem, it starts fairly slow and quiet but right from the start there's tension in the background that swells and swells.

#66 - Lights Light Up - Fenne Lily
This one might be a lot higher if I could bear listening to it more often but it tears me up a bit every time I do and I already have a couple gut-wrenching songs in my top ten (fun year!). It's a wonderfully sweet love song, very well written and composed and it's absolutely beautiful. Pay attention to the lyrics at your own risk...

#65 - Life Under the Gun - Militarie Gun
These are the next in a long line of hardcore bands that get on a major label, become a little less hardcore/a little more straight up rock and roll and as a result I like them so much more. There's definitely still a lot of punk elements here and elsewhere on the album but this is just a great rock song.

#64 - Spellbinding - The Smashing Pumpkins
One of the poppiest songs they've ever written, huge radio-ready chorus, it's buried like 34 songs into a triple album because of course it is. Billy Corgan/Pumpkins could probably have a huge comeback one of the years if they decide they want to. They likely don't though. TAKE ME AWAY, I'M GONNA FIND YOU!

#73 - Your Side of Town - The Killers
A return to the synth rock side of things for The Killers after a foray into Springsteen-rock. This was on their new Greatest Hits album and doesn't feel out of place on it whatsoever, which is a pretty damn high compliment.

I've heard of the Killers!!

You’re still old.

#63 - Don't Fade Away - Beach Fossils
We've got to be running out of Beach ______ bands at this point right? Anyway fun light-shoegaze rock, great summer vibey song.

#62 - Sophie - CVC
This CVC album gives me some late period Arctic Monkeys vibes. I was pumped to see them at Bonnaroo. They got two songs in then there was a storm warning and everyone had to evacuate. Would suck to travel from Wales for that to happen. This one is all "ooh la la la's", with a guitar solo here and a group singalong there. Very solid debut.

#66 - Lights Light Up - Fenne Lily
This one might be a lot higher if I could bear listening to it more often but it tears me up a bit every time I do and I already have a couple gut-wrenching songs in my top ten (fun year!). It's a wonderfully sweet love song, very well written and composed and it's absolutely beautiful. Pay attention to the lyrics at your own risk...

I enjoyed this album. Mellow, but good background music for dinner etc.

#61 - One That Got Away - MUNA
And this band I did get to see at Bonnaroo. This is largely MUNA by numbers but I love their sound and I listened to them almost as much as anyone this year and it will be one that sticks with me down the road without a doubt.

One of the poppiest songs they've ever written, huge radio-ready chorus, it's buried like 34 songs into a triple album because of course it is. Billy Corgan/Pumpkins could probably have a huge comeback one of the years if they decide they want to. They likely don't though. TAKE ME AWAY, I'M GONNA FIND YOU!

Billy Corgan performed on the local New Year's Eve broadcast. It wasn't exactly Gish. Just watch a few seconds around the 16:50 mark...

#60 - Futures Bet - U.S. Girls
In fairness, the best song on this 2023 album IMO is "So Typically Now" but it came out in late 2022 so I put it (near the top) of my 2022 list. This peppy slow jam (can a song be both?) is pretty damn great as well.

#58 - For a While - Whitney
Apparently this song is a few years old and has long been THE live favourite among their hardcore fans but has never been properly released. I can see why it's a favourite. The way the guitar picks up reminds me of another song I can't quite put my finger on. It's really good.

#56 - Barbaric - Blur
This goes straight into the top tier of Blur songs for me. Their late period releases always have a couple absolute classics and this is the best of them. May be too low.

#55 - Blood in the Milk - Fireworks
At times I get Tragically Hip vibes from this song so there was never a chance it wasn't going to be on this list. It's got that big chorus, bit of twang in the voice, lots of guitars. I don't know this band well at all but checked out the rest of the album and it's good, so I'll probably explore a bit further.

Even though I'd like to think I'm current and no Jayrod, most of these are entirely new bands to me.

I think I spent the 2nd half of 2023 completely buried in Aussie garage punk.

#54 - The Tower - Future Islands
These guys kind of lost me on their last album but based on the singles released so far from their upcoming album, it looks like they're back to their synth pop best form. They put on a good show too fwiw.

Even though I'd like to think I'm current and no Jayrod, most of these are entirely new bands to me.

I think I spent the 2nd half of 2023 completely buried in Aussie garage punk.
This and my work circumstances are why I'm going this route rather than the draft, I really don't think I'm stepping on many toes with these picks. Also I realized everyone is probably going to hate my #2 as well :lol:

#53 - Welcome to My Island - Caroline Polachek
Former Chairlift singer is just as good solo - this was one of the top jams of the summer imo. More poppy than most songs on the list, her voice is just so good.

#52 - 3 Summers - Jeff Rosenstock
7 minute Jeff Rosenstock punk song that brings along Laura Stevenson, PUP and Chris Farren on background vocals just for fun. I'll have you all know I showed some restraint and didn't include the random b-side PUP released this year on this list (spoiler alert).

So far I've never heard of any of the songs or even the artists.

I may be getting old.
I am sure you are more of the norm. I know many but not all of the artists here and it's impossible for me to find anyone (outside of this board) to talk music with. I am going on about Mitski, boygenius or Fred again and nobody knows what the heck I am talking about. Meanwhile, I am perplexed how they DON'T know who these artists are. Like, hello, Mitski. She's maybe the best American songwriter of the last 5-10 years.

#51 - New Beginning - Automatic
80s post-punk indebted song with fuzzy keyboards, it hums along nicely all the way throughout with a nice steady urgency. We're going to ignore that I just found it came out in 2022.

Might try to get through 50-41 then call it a day. Everyone knows this band!

#50 - Ghosts Again - Depeche Mode
Their best songs in years and hard not to listen to in the context of Andy Fletcher's past, it's more on the brooding/darker side of the DM discography as opposed to the dancefloor fillers. The synths do pick up in the second half and it manages to feel triumphant despite the lyrics and context.

#49 - Sarah's Place - Zach Bryan f/Noah Kahan
Two artists who went supernova in 2023, Bryan had a US #1 hit for several weeks, Kahan is currently #1 in the UK. I've seen both in consecutive years at Bonnaroo and they were the "I was there" show of each year (for better or for worse). I think they're both great songwriters and their relatable lyrics and singalong choruses hit me in exactly the right spot these days. Having both on the same song, with a great singalong chorus is hard to beat. This is from Zach Bryan's EP released this year, not from either of their respective albums, something I say for no reason in particular :whistle:

#48 - Country Bar - Crooks and Nannies
I don't know if it's just their voice but I get serious Big Thief vibes from this band. The whole album is really good. It does the quiet/loud, big then small thing really, really well. In discovering them for this list, I also realized I missed a one off single from them last year - 3 AM - highly encourage checking it out if you like the song below (it's not on their 2023 album).

#47 - Nation - Home Front
Look this shouldn't work okay. Who wants to hear an "oi oi oi" singer shouting over sharp, super polished synth rock. Apparently me and probably you too. It's super catchy. These guys are from Edmonton but I found them on the blogs. HEAR US ALL SCREAMING AT A NATION.

#46 Sad Dumb Game - Single Mothers
This list is getting more and more obscure isn't it. I promise there will be recognizable stuff coming. These guys are from London, Ontario but I'd never heard of them before this year either. There's some speak singing here and some noodly guitars all around the chorus. Maybe they're the Canadian Hold Steady.

#82 - When We Were Close - Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit
The best song on Isbell's new album is also a loving, if slightly haunting tribute to Justin Townes Earle. What a fantastic songwriter.

Excellent song. It would be difficult for me to declare it as the best song on "Weathervanes" though because the album is filled with great songs.

#45 Rain So Hard - Strange Ranger
Feels like there's been a lot of post-punk, synth and shoegaze influence on this list. Here's some more... this band has done a lot of straight up synth pop and more indie/emo rock and this one blends them together with a soaring chorus and twinkly guitars. Whole album is good.

#49 - Sarah's Place - Zach Bryan f/Noah Kahan
Two artists who went supernova in 2023, Bryan had a US #1 hit for several weeks, Kahan is currently #1 in the UK. I've seen both in consecutive years at Bonnaroo and they were the "I was there" show of each year (for better or for worse). I think they're both great songwriters and their relatable lyrics and singalong choruses hit me in exactly the right spot these days. Having both on the same song, with a great singalong chorus is hard to beat. This is from Zach Bryan's EP released this year, not from either of their respective albums, something I say for no reason in particular :whistle:

I'm not sure there is a 'skip' song on his entire Stick Season album.

#44 - Hotline - bby
SiriusXM earworm that never left my head the whole damn year. Interpol/Strokes-y guitars, a singer with a cool sounding voice and a ever increasing drum beat. Short and simple rock single.

#43 - 001 [Tame the War, Feed the Fire] - Wings of Desire
Bands will always get bonus marks when they write an anthem for themselves, especially if its as catchy as this. “Burst into colors/This life is infinite/Think of all the years/Where I wasn’t with it/Piss it up the wall/**** it if you fall/Remember the best/Yeah I’m giving it my faith and love.” Yes, it's more post-punk.

#42 - The Clown - Mega Bog
Starts out fairly quiet with spooky synths, it quickly builds to a short false chorus that gives a little glimpse of what's to come. This one builds and builds. Next time around we get the full chorus repeated twice and the synths quicken the pace and a bassline comes in, you can still feel the energy building. From the three minute mark on its a showcase for a fantastic voice overtop the ever growing synths and some circling background vocals. It's really quite great, I kept moving it up this list and I'm still not sure its high enough.

#41 - The Clutch - Palehound
This is probably most in line with the majority of what I've listened to the last five years. Big rock guitars, beautiful female voice, fairly straightforward indie rock just executed so so well.

They appeared in this year's Disney Holiday Parade TV special, which my wife and son watch every year. Performing a Christmas song that Billy wrote years ago but dusted off now. Maybe it's on the triple album, I dunno.

If you told me in the '90s that the Pumpkins would eventually do a Disney TV special, I'd have said you're out of your mind. But would have secretly thought, yeah, Billy would totally do that, but I dunno if Disney would have him.

Through 100-41:

Songs I've heard of: 0
Artists I've heard of: 10*.

* - I've heard exactly one Caroline Rose song before, but it counts.

If you told me in the '90s that the Pumpkins would eventually do a Disney TV special, I'd have said you're out of your mind. But would have secretly thought, yeah, Billy would totally do that, but I dunno if Disney would have him.

If you had predicted Billy Corgan's career narrative in the early 90s, it wouldn't be nearly as strange as it turned out in real life.

I was teasing my nephew that these guys were playing Phoenix where he goes to school and that he and all his punk/HC friends were going, weren't they? He's not into that stuff at all.

Anyway, this is a sort of solo project by some dude from a different HC band who wanted to play poppier stuff.

The poppier stuff is indeed more melodic and enticing than this original band.

Ooh ooh.

One of the tracks from this album has also been in a Taco Bell commercial.

I was teasing my nephew that these guys were playing Phoenix where he goes to school and that he and all his punk/HC friends were going, weren't they? He's not into that stuff at all.

Anyway, this is a sort of solo project by some dude from a different HC band who wanted to play poppier stuff.

The poppier stuff is indeed more melodic and enticing than this original band.

Ooh ooh.

One of the tracks from this album has also been in a Taco Bell commercial.

They're playing about six blocks from me in early March. We'll probably go.

Very cool.

They remind me a bit of Title Fight before Title Fight got very dream/shoegaze. Title Fight's transition from hardcore to dream pop sounds just a touch like this.

Or perhaps I'm just comparing bands from similar scenes and their movement towards a poppier version of themselves while still retaining the indie guitar element of their music.

Very cool.

They remind me a bit of Title Fight before Title Fight got very dream/shoegaze. Title Fight's transition from hardcore to dream pop sounds just a touch like this.

Or perhaps I'm just comparing bands from similar scenes and their movement towards a poppier version of themselves while still retaining the indie guitar element of their music.

Merchandise made a similar move out of hardcore around the same time. If I'm not mistaken, they toured with Title Fight.

Didn't do any of them much good commercially but it's cool to do the 'ooh ooh' when the Militarie Gun Taco Bell commercial is on.

Users who are viewing this thread