What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

100 Best Songs of 2023. #1 Posted, Playlist in first post (1 Viewer)

99. Shiver - Fever Ray
I love Fever Ray and everything Karin Dreijer has been involved with going all the way back to The Knife. Are there 98 better songs than this released this year? Maybe not but it's also not super groundbreaking by her standards so there's others that grabbed me more.

98. Dirt Diamond - Generationals
I don't know much about this NOLA based pop-rock band but this song got a lot of play on one of the Sirius new music stations (XMU or Alt Nation) and stuck with me all year long.

#97 - Locket - Superviolet
Catchy as hell strummy guitar pop that grows on you and sticks around in your head all day long. "I'M A LOCKEEEEEEEEHT"

#95 - Dummy - Portugal The Man
Not the best Portugal The Man song but another solid summer singalong classic in their catalog. Sounded great when I saw them this summer which always carries some weight. It's kind of dumb but that's implied.

#94 - Plague Dogs - The Rural Alberta Advantage
One of my favourite bands, their album this year was a disappointment to me but this song is classic RAA. Come out firing, slow it down for the chorus, bring it back up, work in a bunch of OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHS at some point. Bam, another winner.

#93 - Nobody Tells You When You're Young - Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
ex Jack's Mannequin/Something Corporate lead singer/songwriter has a pretty solid solo career. This one is fairly sparse - mostly just him and the piano throughout, save from a flourish towards the finish. Reflective and sweet. Maybe I'm getting old or something.

#92 - Float Away - Slaughter Beach, Dog
Another former punk dude who's slowing things down, this is Jake from Modern Baseball with his new country tinged band. This has a fairly melancholy feel to it, partially disguised by a sweet chorus. This whole album is pretty solid.

#91 - Penthouse - Kelsea Ballerini
I don't know this artist well, apparently she played SNL this year. It's hard not to hear this as heavily indebted to Folklore era Taylor Swift but I love Folklore and I despite its obvious influence and the fact it's pretty cheesy country piano pop, I like what I like and I like this song.

#90 - Caffeine - Jack Kays
Great chorus, big bridge. That's all it takes sometimes. Plus he does that thing where he sings the same lyrics he's been singing the whole time but a little more unhinged towards the end ("I WANTED MORE THAN YOU COULD GIVE ME"). I should be a music writer.

#87 - Landmines - Sum 41
Sum 41 have re emerged for a final album and tour to come in 2024. This is the most pop punk song they've released in like 17 years and I will take it all day long. It sounds a lot like Sum 41, luckily that sound has come back in style in recent years (thanks PUP!)

#86 - Bug Like An Angel - Mitski
Extremely pretty song from an extremely pretty album. I will always be here for anything Mitski puts out, though I do prefer both her rock and synth stages to this more relaxed vibe she's currently going with. Still there's no denying the effect of the choir sounds she employs here.

#83 - The Trench Coat Museum - Yard Act
The Overload was my favourite album of 2022, so having these guys back again this year, with an 8 minute epic, was a blessing. Now 8 minutes of a guy with an accent speak-singing about trench coats may not be everyone's cup of tea but there are some real steps forward in their sound here, as it goes in the dance-punk direction, complete with steps, cowbells and more.

Last edited:
#81 - Over - CHVRCHES
I'm a little worried about where Chvrches goes over the next few years with Lauren Mayberry pursuing a solo career. If this song is the last we get for a while, it's a great way to go out (and to my tastes better than any of her solo material released to date).

#80 - Steamroller - feeble little horse
Shoegaze is back baby! Fuzzy guitars, pretty voice, one of the best opening lyrics in recent memory ("Steamroller, you **** like you're eating") :laugh:

#78 - Username - Equipment
Thankfully, emo music absolutely refuses and while this is 8th wave emo or something ridiculous, it would fit right in in the early 00s (think Jimmy Eat World) if it weren't about being eternally online.

#77 - Certain Father - July Talk (featuring Spencer Krug)
July Talk is the rare Canadian band that most other people actually tend to enjoy more than I do. This one really grabbed me though. Probably because of the big synth baseline throughout and I just love how Spencer Krug's (Wolf Parade) voice plays here.

#76 - Ghostwriter - Speedy Ortiz
My favourite song on their new album, they say this is nu-metal inspired, which you can sort of hear in the background but really it's just another really great Speedy Ortiz song. It certainly does rock.

Alright, that feels like a natural place to stop for a lunch break. The top 75 are legitimately non stop bangers. I'll probably run through a bunch of this, this afternoon. Working from home the next couple days so I actually have the opportunity to be around for a change.

The 76-61 grouping includes songs from a legendary 90s mainstream alternative rock band, the biggest? Swedish indie rock band ever and the best stadium band to come out of the past 25 years. Also a bunch more bands no one has ever heard of including me before this year.

Songs all rip though.

Alright, that feels like a natural place to stop for a lunch break. The top 75 are legitimately non stop bangers. I'll probably run through a bunch of this, this afternoon. Working from home the next couple days so I actually have the opportunity to be around for a change.

The 76-61 grouping includes songs from a legendary 90s mainstream alternative rock band, the biggest? Swedish indie rock band ever and the best stadium band to come out of the past 25 years. Also a bunch more bands no one has ever heard of including me before this year.

Songs all rip though.
The Leather Nun put out an album!!??

Songs all rip though.
The Leather Nun put out an album!!??
Best song of that year... https://youtu.be/wm89uy4_pNE?si=0BXBwe3dtI23aTh3

Are we still doing a 2023 new music draft?
I haven't finished the last several drafts I've started, so I'm not.
Those were your yearly rankings... I think we can just do a top10 or 20 draft style best songs of the year thread instead of you having to do all the work.
I haven't finished the last few songs drafts (i.e. mid year etc) either :bag:
Me either... But those just each 9f us posting our favorite songs in slow reveal/draft... No? So you being a horrible flake won't mess anything up?

#74 - Family Ties - Charles Wesley Godwin
Folk-country from the same vein as Tyler Childers, Sturgill Simpson, I think he got some hype from some association with the 2023 phenomenon that is Zach Bryan.

#73 - Your Side of Town - The Killers
A return to the synth rock side of things for The Killers after a foray into Springsteen-rock. This was on their new Greatest Hits album and doesn't feel out of place on it whatsoever, which is a pretty damn high compliment.

#72 - Lexicon - Vagabon
Rostam from Vampire Weekend produced this album and you can hear his fingerprints all over this song. low-key Indie R&B, there are a few great songs on this album but this is the one that best held up to repeated listens for me.

#71 - You Shatter - Sweeping Promises
80s inspired post-punk from 2023 that sounds closer to 80s post punk than most early-00s post punk did. Or something like that. There's just a great beat running all the way through this, then it gets all swirly and sing songy in the second half in the best way possible.

#70 - Ring of Past - Men I Trust
One off single from this great band, it's got a funky baseline and some stabby synths. Her soft voice floats above it beautifully. Saw them this summer. Good band. I was mildly distracted by the kids in front of us taking all kinds of drugs which felt oddly out of place at a low key Men I Trust show.

#73 - Your Side of Town - The Killers
A return to the synth rock side of things for The Killers after a foray into Springsteen-rock. This was on their new Greatest Hits album and doesn't feel out of place on it whatsoever, which is a pretty damn high compliment.

I've heard of the Killers!!

Users who are viewing this thread