What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Free Agency news thread (1 Viewer)

Paul Kruger gets 5 yrs/ $40 million, $20 mil guaranteed. Last year Ray Rice signed for 5 yrs/$40 mil, $24 guaranteed.Which do you think is a better deal?And now Ellerbe gets 5 years/$35 mil, haven't heard how much guaranteed.The Ravens have a salary cap figure attached to every player in the NFL, based on performance, position scarcity, and available cap room of all 32 teams. Kruger was not worth $8M a year under their formula and Ellerbe wasn't worth $7M a year.Who do you think knows what they're doing better? A bunch of new guys on losing teams throwing money at mediocre players, of the GM of the only team in the NFL to make the playoffs for the last 5 seasons?
fwiw that "formula" said joe flacco was worth 20/year
His cap hit this year is $7M. In a couple of years when his cap hit goes up, $20M will be a bargain for a Super Bowl winning QB. And he will never see the last two years of his deal that makes it average $20M per season, unless he proves that he's worth it.
I agree with most of what you've said. Total overpays on the lbs. Reminds me of when guys like Larry Brown would get huge deals because of the exposure of the super bowl. However, Flacco as a bargain for 20 million may be a bit over the top to say the least;) That deal could be a real nightmare in 2 years.

Ravens give Chris Canty $8M over 3 years, with $2.8M guarantee.

Bargain shopping. Word is they might be closing in on a cut-rate deal with James Harrison too.

I hope all this is setting up a decent deal for a WR and/or Left Tackle. Still think they address ILB through a first round pick and then the cheap veteran route.

Ravens give Chris Canty $8M over 3 years, with $2.8M guarantee.

Bargain shopping. Word is they might be closing in on a cut-rate deal with James Harrison too.

I hope all this is setting up a decent deal for a WR and/or Left Tackle. Still think they address ILB through a first round pick and then the cheap veteran route.
Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanforaIf Canty can stay healthy, a big if in this case, Ravems DL just got considerably more fortified

Interesting that none of the RB's have a home yet. Guessing Bush and Mendenhall may be the lead dominoes that kick off a cascade of signings.

Have heard Broncos, Cards, Dolphins, Bengals and Falcons as possible for Mendenhall.

Mostly Lions and Cards for Bush.

Read a couple places that Mendy will be visiting Denver and Arizona.

If Moreno can be a ppg machine in Denver, imagine what Mendenhall could do. :excited:

Interesting that none of the RB's have a home yet. Guessing Bush and Mendenhall may be the lead dominoes that kick off a cascade of signings.Have heard Broncos, Cards, Dolphins, Bengals and Falcons as possible for Mendenhall.Mostly Lions and Cards for Bush.
Nobody wants to pay a rb. I'm sure lots of teams would love them for 2 years and 4 million.

Very little movement in the DB market, which makes total sense given how saturated it is with FA talent and upcoming talent in the draft. No one wants to make the first move and find out later they grossly overpaid as the market settles down on similar players later on.

:lmao:

NFLN just had Scott Pioloi going over the "Patriots Draft Philosopy". And someone left another microphone on and you can hear someone (Warren Sapp probably) say something like "God. No no no, it's the same ####### spew as we had Mike Lombardi do. The ####### Bill Belichick ####### angle."

Read a couple places that Mendy will be visiting Denver and Arizona.If Moreno can be a ppg machine in Denver, imagine what Mendenhall could do. :excited:
Slightly worse...(?)We'll see if Denver brings in a guy that the whined himself out of Pittsburgh. Teams like Arizona usually do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that none of the RB's have a home yet. Guessing Bush and Mendenhall may be the lead dominoes that kick off a cascade of signings.Have heard Broncos, Cards, Dolphins, Bengals and Falcons as possible for Mendenhall.Mostly Lions and Cards for Bush.
I suspect Bush doesn't leave Detroit. This is the guy they want, they have not really signed anyone else as this is the guy they are gonna pay to get.I love the deal, it is the Best replacement they need. Keep in mind Lions were explosive when they had a player like Best.Bush is much better in my opinion, fantasy implications are huge for him if he signs in Detroit.

imagine what Mendenhall could do. :excited:
Dont have to imagine. He will spin then fall on the ground.
The truth is though, Mendenhall played his best in a spread package and used as a "small back".Pittsburgh tried to use him as a "big back" and he just doesnt have that in him most of the time.You could also see his talent (and willingness to be a force) when they get close to the goalline.He becomes far more aggressive and willing when the glory of a TD is to be had.Maybe with Manning in Denver his utilization and a fresh start effect a mental change for Rashard for the better.

@RAIDERS: The Raiders have released WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, DB Michael Huff and DE David Tollefson; and re-signed DB Phillip Adams.

Very little movement in the DB market, which makes total sense given how saturated it is with FA talent and upcoming talent in the draft. No one wants to make the first move and find out later they grossly overpaid as the market settles down on similar players later on.
Yup. Lots of guys who can still play got cut in cap-saving moves and the draft is loaded with DBs.I think the Jets are in a bind with Revis wanting more loot right now after his injury. He is worth top corner money but the market is working against him. It is going to be impossible for New York to trade him without him agreeing to a contract with the new team so that one could drag on awhile.I think teams in need of DBs are going to find enough to pick over and find bargains so they'll take time filling that position.It is interesting seeing what happens with Revis, how long that will take before it gets resolved. I don't see him going back to the Jets since scuttlebutt is the owner doesn't want him re-signed.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

Phillip Wheeler agrees to terms with Dolphins, per league source.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

Isaac Sopoaga agreed to terms with the Eagles on a 3-year deal worth close to $12 million with about $5 mil guaranteed.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreerIsaac Sopoaga agreed to terms with the Eagles on a 3-year deal worth close to $12 million with about $5 mil guaranteed.
Solid fatty for the 3-4 NT. Bradley Fletcher to the Eagles as well.

A note for people who might be wondering what possibility of compensatory picks their team might get for losing a free agent.

First, only free agents whose contract expired count. Not players the team cut. Players lost and gained are slotted into rounds based mostly on average salary of their contract, which can be adjusted by playing time and honors (Pro Bowl, etc). Each player signed cancels out a player lost. A player signed removes the pick for a lost player of the same or a worse round first, and only removes a lost player's better round if none are left below. Minimum salary veterans do not count. A max of 4 picks can be gained. If not enough picks are given out in this way, some extra picks are given out via mechanism we don't understand (it's not just same as draft order).

As far as some actual numbers, in 2009:

3rd round comp players had signed for at least $6.5 million per season

4th rounders signed for $4.8 million to $6 million

5th rounders signed for $4 million to $5 million

6th rounders signed for $2.7 million to $3.9 million

7th rounders signed for less than $2.65 million per season.

Those figures seem to change with the cap. The cap in 2009 was $123m, and this year is also $123m. So those should be decent numbers to work from. Buffalo losing Levitre (5 years, $39m or $7.8m per year) would net them a pick at the end of the 3rd round, assuming they don't sign as many qualifying players as they lost, or don't sign one who they give an average salary of $6.5m per year. And of course, playing time and honors can shift things a little bit too.

Also, not every contract detail counts towards the average salary, and sometimes the media numbers are just plain wrong, so don't assume those numbers are set in stone for any single specific player you heard a contract for. But a decent guideline towards what a team's compensatory picks may be next year.

Scott Pioli refusing to give into pressure and prolcaim "winners and losers" after FOUR WHOLE HOURS hours of Free Agency. :rolleyes:

Good for him.

@Eagles: #Eagles agree to terms with 4 more players: CB Fletcher Bradley, S Patrick Chung, LB Jason Phillips and DL Isaac Sopoaga #FreeAgency

The Iron Sheik ‏@the_ironsheik

The Atlanta my home town the intelligent they make smart move with the Brent Grimes

:lmao:

NFLN just had Scott Pioloi going over the "Patriots Draft Philosopy". And someone left another microphone on and you can hear someone (Warren Sapp probably) say something like "God. No no no, it's the same ####### spew as we had Mike Lombardi do. The ####### Bill Belichick ####### angle."
It was Sapp, wonder what his opinion is of Belichick :rolleyes:

Scott Pioli refusing to give into pressure and prolcaim "winners and losers" after FOUR WHOLE HOURS hours of Free Agency. :rolleyes:Good for him.
I can't get enough of his advice on how teams should handle their qbs. Maybe they could bring Millen back to talk about drafting wrs.

Casey wasn't used much in the passing game in Houston but looked good when they did. He has school records at Rice:

most receptions in a season- 111

most rec. yards in a season- 1329

most rec. yards in a game - 208

Only played 2 years there and started 25 games. He was a pro baseball player for 4 years before that.

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt Sense some interesting discussions going on between the Packers and Eugene Parker, agent for both @sj39 and @GregJennings.
Have heard reports from they are just kicking tires and Jackson is using them as leverage....to he is close to signing.As I stated in the Packers thread...Wilde reported he has a source saying they offered Jennings a contract "a while ago" worth $10mil per.

Seems they have kept the discussions with him open and saying they still want him back.

Updating a previous item, free agent CB Brent Grimes has not signed a one-year deal to stay in Atlanta.

Related: Falcons

Source: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter

Updating a previous item, free agent CB Brent Grimes has not signed a one-year deal to stay in Atlanta.Related: FalconsSource: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter
Makes sense. I was thinking that he could get multiple years with decent money for sure.

Broncos rumored to be targetting Knighton, DRC, Mendenhall. Resigned Vickerson to 2 year deal.

Really wish they would dump Joe Mays and get Dansby.

@TomPelissero

"I'm told the #Vikings are NOT actively pursuing Greg Jennings right now. Of course, that level of activity can change."

So far, the only team who hasn't signed, re-signed, cut, or lost someone today is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Users who are viewing this thread