What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 ACC Basketball [Closed - use 2015 thread instead] (1 Viewer)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/19962797/trippin-nc-state-needs-freshman-guard

- Let's start with Purvis, who was recently allowed -- by the NCAA -- to attend school and practice with the team. Gottfried said they will be sending an appeal in the next week or so in hopes he is cleared to play in game competition this season. Gottfried explained the situation as the following: Purvis was a part Upper Room Christian Academy's (North Carolina) first graduating class, so the school still needs to have some of its classes cleared by the NCAA. "He was at the same school for four years," Gottfried said. "Some of the classes at the school haven't been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse yet. He's not the target of anything. The school just has to get some of its classes cleared. We feel good about him being cleared."

Is this where we're at now? Any time a UNC fan says anything about anything in the basketball thread, we're gonna bring up an academic scandal at UNC with almost no connection to the basketball program? Sounds fun.
i think we get to do this for at least one season. Two, if you win something.
I can live with that. I wish this thread had been around for Myron Piggie, Chris Washburn and the rest, though. Can UNC fans cash those in retroactively?
:lmao: As if you UNC fans haven't been trying to make hay out of Piggie for years since it's the only thing you have over Coach K in 30+ seasons. Sorry that the academic scandal has you on edge and that you have to deal with NCSU boosters giving you trouble, but . . . it's a pretty embarrassing situation. :shrug: And of course it has something to do with the basketball team: Peppers down?

Is this where we're at now? Any time a UNC fan says anything about anything in the basketball thread, we're gonna bring up an academic scandal at UNC with almost no connection to the basketball program? Sounds fun.
I can live with that. I wish this thread had been around for Myron Piggie, Chris Washburn and the rest, though. Can UNC fans cash those in retroactively?
:lmao: As if you UNC fans haven't been trying to make hay out of Piggie for years since it's the only thing you have over Coach K in 30+ seasons. Sorry that the academic scandal has you on edge and that you have to deal with NCSU boosters giving you trouble, but . . . it's a pretty embarrassing situation. :shrug: And of course it has something to do with the basketball team: Peppers down?
also check the majors of the 2005 team

Could Dez Wells be reunited with C.J. Leslie in Raleigh?

According to a story in The Commercial Appeal, former Xavier wing Dez Wells plans to visit Memphis, Louisville, Maryland and N.C. State.

Wells, a 6-foot-5 sophomore who attended Word of God in Raleigh as a high school player, was expelled from Xavier earlier this month for a violation of the university's code of conduct. On Tuesday, a grand jury declined to indict Wells on sexual assault charges, but he remains expelled from Xavier.

Wells averaged 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds in 32 starts as a freshman, when he made the Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team. He played alongside North Carolina's P.J. Hairston at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia after winning two state titles at Word of God, where his teammates included N.C. State junior C.J. Leslie and NBA point guard John Wall. Wells' mother, Pamela, was a standout player at Saint Augustine's of Raleigh in the 1980s.

N.C. State currently has 10 scholarship players, including LSU transfer Ralston Turner, on its 2012-13 roster.
He will have to sit out a year and will have 3 years of eligibility remaining.Grand jury declines to charge Xavier ex-player Dez Wells

A grand jury has rejected criminal charges against former Xavier University basketball player Dez Wells, a week after the school expelled him.

A prosecutor said Tuesday that Xavier should reconsider the expulsion, but the school said its decision is final.

Prosecutors presented allegations of sexual assault against Wells to the county grand jury, Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said.

"We always take allegations of this nature very seriously," Deters said. "The grand jury declined to charge Dezmine Wells with any criminal offense."

The university last week expelled Wells for what it called a "serious violation" of the school's code of student conduct. At the time, the school gave no details of the violation, but said a conduct board consisting of faculty, students and administrators made the decision.

"I would sincerely hope the institution would revisit this situation," Deters said in a statement.

A Xavier spokeswoman, Kelly Leon, said federal law doesn't allow universities to cede student conduct matters to the criminal justice system, but "requires schools to act quickly" and to rule based on a "preponderance of the evidence." She said its conduct board uses the process that is standard for U.S. universities.

Leon said the conduct board's decision was upheld by an appeal board, and is final.

"I think it's a shame that that's the position that they have adopted," said Wells' attorney, Merlyn Shiverdecker. "The hearing was fundamentally unfair. ... The decision was wrong."

Shiverdecker said the university had rushed to judgment but said Wells appreciated that the prosecutor's office gave him "the only forum where he could get his good name back .... The actions of the grand jury have vindicated him of wrongdoing."
Given that the prosecutor came out publicly to say Xavier should reconsider, I take that as a positive sign about how he felt about the validity of the charges. Sounds like he presented the case out of obligation, not because he thinks he is guilty.

Yes, Peppers played for two season on the basketball team for Coach Guthridge, and illegally disclosed academic records appear to show that he took Afro-Am classes that have later been revealed to have issues. To save you the next post, it is also true that a few other UNC basketball players also took the questionable classes, although to my knowledge there's no evidence that they enjoyed any special privilege not afforded other students or that they enrolled in those classes with unusual frequency. That's why I said "almost" in my post? Reading comprehension down?I'm not gonna do the Coach K hate list here because it drags down the discussion and I think some of the criticisms are a bit unfair. But if you think that Myron Piggie is the only thing fans of other teams have on Coach K, I'm guessing you haven't been an ACC basketball fan for very long.

'Sammy3469 said:
and he'd tell you about it too. He used to own a bar in the Flatiron district in NYC before his health went downhill. He'd be there pretty much every night and relate Duke-UNC stories for you. He made no bones about how much he hated UNC and Larry Brown in particular.
Yes! Great call! I met him there as well. But what was the name of that place? It wasn't Brother Jimmy's - - those were owned by someone else, right? Did Art name the place after himself? I was only there once and sadly forget. But he was a funny dude. Hated Laettner, as I recall. Still pulled for Duke quite seriously and could not abide UNC for a second. My kind of guy. RIP. :(
The place was called Tracy J's. He was there pretty much every night there was a Duke game. A group of my friends went pretty regularly for a 2-3 year period. It had this weird niche as a dive bar before 10pm and then they had karoroke (sp?) late night. Was always weird when there was a 9pm Duke game as the two worlds would clash.

Yes, Peppers played for two season on the basketball team for Coach Guthridge, and illegally disclosed academic records appear to show that he took Afro-Am classes that have later been revealed to have issues. To save you the next post, it is also true that a few other UNC basketball players also took the questionable classes, although to my knowledge there's no evidence that they enjoyed any special privilege not afforded other students or that they enrolled in those classes with unusual frequency. That's why I said "almost" in my post? Reading comprehension down?
a few?Bless your heart.

Could Dez Wells be reunited with C.J. Leslie in Raleigh?

According to a story in The Commercial Appeal, former Xavier wing Dez Wells plans to visit Memphis, Louisville, Maryland and N.C. State.

Wells, a 6-foot-5 sophomore who attended Word of God in Raleigh as a high school player, was expelled from Xavier earlier this month for a violation of the university's code of conduct. On Tuesday, a grand jury declined to indict Wells on sexual assault charges, but he remains expelled from Xavier.

Wells averaged 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds in 32 starts as a freshman, when he made the Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team. He played alongside North Carolina's P.J. Hairston at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia after winning two state titles at Word of God, where his teammates included N.C. State junior C.J. Leslie and NBA point guard John Wall. Wells' mother, Pamela, was a standout player at Saint Augustine's of Raleigh in the 1980s.

N.C. State currently has 10 scholarship players, including LSU transfer Ralston Turner, on its 2012-13 roster.
He will have to sit out a year and will have 3 years of eligibility remaining.Grand jury declines to charge Xavier ex-player Dez Wells

A grand jury has rejected criminal charges against former Xavier University basketball player Dez Wells, a week after the school expelled him.

A prosecutor said Tuesday that Xavier should reconsider the expulsion, but the school said its decision is final.

Prosecutors presented allegations of sexual assault against Wells to the county grand jury, Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said.

"We always take allegations of this nature very seriously," Deters said. "The grand jury declined to charge Dezmine Wells with any criminal offense."

The university last week expelled Wells for what it called a "serious violation" of the school's code of student conduct. At the time, the school gave no details of the violation, but said a conduct board consisting of faculty, students and administrators made the decision.

"I would sincerely hope the institution would revisit this situation," Deters said in a statement.

A Xavier spokeswoman, Kelly Leon, said federal law doesn't allow universities to cede student conduct matters to the criminal justice system, but "requires schools to act quickly" and to rule based on a "preponderance of the evidence." She said its conduct board uses the process that is standard for U.S. universities.

Leon said the conduct board's decision was upheld by an appeal board, and is final.

"I think it's a shame that that's the position that they have adopted," said Wells' attorney, Merlyn Shiverdecker. "The hearing was fundamentally unfair. ... The decision was wrong."

Shiverdecker said the university had rushed to judgment but said Wells appreciated that the prosecutor's office gave him "the only forum where he could get his good name back .... The actions of the grand jury have vindicated him of wrongdoing."
Given that the prosecutor came out publicly to say Xavier should reconsider, I take that as a positive sign about how he felt about the validity of the charges. Sounds like he presented the case out of obligation, not because he thinks he is guilty.
Like that's going to happen after the Penn State mess.

Surprised this hasn't been posted already.

Dez Wells picks Maryland, accelerating the Terps’ ascent to national relevancy again

It won't be much longer before second-year coach Mark Turgeon has Maryland nationally relevant again.

Turgeon accelerated Maryland's rebuilding process Monday morning when he landed a commitment from Dez Wells, the standout sophomore expelled from Xavier last month amid allegations of sexual assault. Wells, who will not be charged with a crime, also visited Memphis, Oregon and Kentucky in the past week.

"The last couple of weeks have been the toughest time in my life for my family and I," Wells wrote via Twitter on Monday morning. "I've learned that it is a major responsibility that comes with being a student athlete at all times. I'm thankful that God has blessed me with a second opportunity to continue my education."

The remaining question now that Wells has made his decision is whether he'll have to sit out a full year or not.

Maryland will pursue a waiver to allow him to play next season, but it seems unlikely the NCAA would grant it. Even though Xavier may have acted rashly in kicking Wells out of school when the evidence was insufficient for him to even be charged with a crime, it would be a tough precedent for the NCAA to set enabling a transfer expelled from his previous school to play right away.

Regardless of when Wells first dons a Maryland jersey, he'll be an impact addition for the Terps.

Wells, a 6-5 sophomore, started 32 games as a freshman at Xavier last year and averaged 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds on a veteran team. He would have been the obvious choice to assume the role of go-to scorer for the Musketeers next season after the departure of Mark Lyons, Tu Holloway and Kenny Frease.

If Wells joins Maryland next season, he'll help the Terrapins make up for the loss of last year's leading scorer Terrell Stoglin and contend for their first NCAA tournament bid in three years. Maryland would have an enviable collection of young talent with Pe'Shon Howard at point guard, Wells and promising sophomore Nick Faust at wing, sophomore Alex Len at center and strong freshman class to provide depth.

It's the 2013-14 season that could truly mark Maryland's return to college basketball's elite assuming the young talent in the program sticks around that long. The Terps are battling Kentucky for twins Andrew and Aaron Harrison, two of the Class of 2013's elite players.

Maryland is clearly trending in a good direction under Turgeon. The addition of Wells, whether it's this season or next, only helps that.
Congrats to the Terps.

Surprised this hasn't been posted already.

Dez Wells picks Maryland, accelerating the Terps’ ascent to national relevancy again

It won't be much longer before second-year coach Mark Turgeon has Maryland nationally relevant again.

Turgeon accelerated Maryland's rebuilding process Monday morning when he landed a commitment from Dez Wells, the standout sophomore expelled from Xavier last month amid allegations of sexual assault. Wells, who will not be charged with a crime, also visited Memphis, Oregon and Kentucky in the past week.

"The last couple of weeks have been the toughest time in my life for my family and I," Wells wrote via Twitter on Monday morning. "I've learned that it is a major responsibility that comes with being a student athlete at all times. I'm thankful that God has blessed me with a second opportunity to continue my education."

The remaining question now that Wells has made his decision is whether he'll have to sit out a full year or not.

Maryland will pursue a waiver to allow him to play next season, but it seems unlikely the NCAA would grant it. Even though Xavier may have acted rashly in kicking Wells out of school when the evidence was insufficient for him to even be charged with a crime, it would be a tough precedent for the NCAA to set enabling a transfer expelled from his previous school to play right away.

Regardless of when Wells first dons a Maryland jersey, he'll be an impact addition for the Terps.

Wells, a 6-5 sophomore, started 32 games as a freshman at Xavier last year and averaged 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds on a veteran team. He would have been the obvious choice to assume the role of go-to scorer for the Musketeers next season after the departure of Mark Lyons, Tu Holloway and Kenny Frease.

If Wells joins Maryland next season, he'll help the Terrapins make up for the loss of last year's leading scorer Terrell Stoglin and contend for their first NCAA tournament bid in three years. Maryland would have an enviable collection of young talent with Pe'Shon Howard at point guard, Wells and promising sophomore Nick Faust at wing, sophomore Alex Len at center and strong freshman class to provide depth.

It's the 2013-14 season that could truly mark Maryland's return to college basketball's elite assuming the young talent in the program sticks around that long. The Terps are battling Kentucky for twins Andrew and Aaron Harrison, two of the Class of 2013's elite players.

Maryland is clearly trending in a good direction under Turgeon. The addition of Wells, whether it's this season or next, only helps that.
Congrats to the Terps.
Obviously, Wells looks like a good grab for MD. As the article says, probably won't happen but getting him eleigible this year would be huge.Man, I hope Turgeon is making sure all the "i"s & "t"s are dotted.

I'm not used to Maryland getting (or being in the running for) a lot of high-profile players since Lefty's heyday and it feels odd.

Seems unlikely that Dez Wells will play in 2012 (maybe in the second half of this season?). On the off chance he does, I keep wondering how all these guys are going to get minutes. The Terps already have 10 guys for this season who appear to be legit talents, plus three already committed for next year, and now Wells this year or next.

Without Wells, the lineup this year looks like this to me:

PG: Howard, Allen

SG: Aronhalt, Cassell

SF: Faust, Layman

PF: Padgett, Mitchell

C: Len, Cleare

With Wells, I imagine Cassell and/or Allen have a difficult time even getting in games.

'randall146 said:
Former Duke forward Lance Thomas getting sued for $70K unpaid balance on $100K in diamond jewelry.That he bought in December 2009.Right before playing a key defensive role on Duke's 2010 national championship team.http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20096356/would-the-ncaa-really-strip-duke-of-the-2010-national-title?Someone want to explain how this doesn't get Duke's title vacated?
I'm not sure how it would at this point. There's nothing to go on yet.We need to know how he got that ridiculous loan...who co-signed?We need to know how he got $30K to put down on it.If either of those are improper...then we can start asking how it affects Duke's championship. Right now, it's purely speculation and not really worth considering how Duke is affected. We need to answer those other two questions first.

'randall146 said:
Former Duke forward Lance Thomas getting sued for $70K unpaid balance on $100K in diamond jewelry.That he bought in December 2009.Right before playing a key defensive role on Duke's 2010 national championship team.http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20096356/would-the-ncaa-really-strip-duke-of-the-2010-national-title?Someone want to explain how this doesn't get Duke's title vacated?
I'm not sure how it would at this point. There's nothing to go on yet.We need to know how he got that ridiculous loan...who co-signed?We need to know how he got $30K to put down on it.If either of those are improper...then we can start asking how it affects Duke's championship. Right now, it's purely speculation and not really worth considering how Duke is affected. We need to answer those other two questions first.
Sadly, you're clinging to the romantic era of journalism that died a sad, painful death early in the Internet era. This article is perfect for the new era of "post your conjecture first and maybe get around to asking questions and gathering all the facts later." And just wait until Gregg Doyel or Pat Forde decide they need some page hits.And I agree with your take. Dont worry until Charles Robinson starts asking questions.

For what it's worth, here's what an insider on another board said:

Just got off the phone with my contact. The story is the down payment is from a wealthy relative and for some reason they thought Thomas was going to get a big contract. Thomas was mugged and the jewelry was stolen but he didn't have insurance to cover it. A negotiated settlement with the jewelry store was ####ed up by Thomas's attorney and now they want payment in full. Thomas should have the money this year to pay off the debt.

That story sounds plausible. Lance was very close to the coaching staff, and still is. Just seems odd that he would do anything that would jeopardize the program. If the story was about, say Greg Newton for example, I would believe it. Just seems so unlike Thomas. I'm sure this has about as much validity as Peppers test scores and transcripts. ;)

For what it's worth, here's what an insider on another board said:Just got off the phone with my contact. The story is the down payment is from a wealthy relative and for some reason they thought Thomas was going to get a big contract. Thomas was mugged and the jewelry was stolen but he didn't have insurance to cover it. A negotiated settlement with the jewelry store was ####ed up by Thomas's attorney and now they want payment in full. Thomas should have the money this year to pay off the debt.
A big contract within 15 days?

One of the reporters on twitter was saying the $30K down payment isn't the problem with the NCAA. It's the large credit line that's going to be the issue.

One of the reporters on twitter was saying the $30K down payment isn't the problem with the NCAA. It's the large credit line that's going to be the issue.
Not saying they're wrong, but I'd argue that there are plenty of places that would finance that kind of money to someone who could produce a 30K down payment. When I was 23 years old (and working a job that paid me less than 52K a year. I also didn't go to a school as prestigious as Duke) a Ford dealership financed me nearly 20K with a 10K down payment (so the percentages are pretty much the same). So I think there is at least an argument to be made that other Duke students (which is what this will be judged on)could reasonably be expected to receive similar treatment regardless of the fact that they weren't potential future star athletes. Could a Duke Law student that was heading into a fancy job in 4 months get that kind of loan? Probably.Could a Duke undergrad walking in the door with 30K of their Daddy's money get it? Perhaps. Not trying to defend Thomas here (the very fact that he even risked this in the middle of his senior year is absolutely ludicrous) but there are some POTENTIAL explanations here. The 15 day re-payment expectation makes very little sense to me. I really think that's the wildcard. If that was truly the expected re-payment date, there's no way the loan could be based on expectation of future earnings. For me, that lends at least a little credence to the story that Construx heard.

I am patiently awaiting a Duke/Lance Thomas conspiracy thread :popcorn: You CAN explain just about all of it away if you're good and limber, but the sticking point for me is that they wanted the balance a couple weeks later.

ETA: And one on Dukie Tommy A ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Tommy A the same as notorious plagiarist Thomas A? :o :
:lmao: That would be awesome if they were the same guy.I think Commish is referring to former Duke PG and assistant coach Tommy Amaker, currently the head coach at Harvard. The team's co-captains, both returning starters from the first Harvard hoops team to win the Ivy conference title, are leaving the team and the school in light of their involvement in an academic cheating scandal. The scandal implicates over 100 students, including several starters on the football team as well as the two basketball players. None of the news reports implicate Amaker in the scandal. His name shows up in the news coverage since he's coached at major programs previously and has connections to one of the Blue Bloods, but this just looks like a bunch of students in a government class got caught plagiarizing papers and cheating on exams. Highly unlikely Amaker's job status is affected by this, other than his team suddenly has to replace the team's leading scorer, as well as their team leader in assists.
This is NOT the standard set in the UNC scandal thread. While I agree with YOU on this, it's my understanding that there are some that believe since something happens on a coach's watch, it's on the coach, but I don't see an official Duke/Harvard cheating thread yet, so I'm assuming a double standard until proven otherwise ;)

Rafaello not talking to Duke, citing pending litigation: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/11/2332465/ncaa-faces-time-pressure-if-they.html

Wholly reasonable, but I think the scenario of everyone keeping tight lips and the NCAA thusly not being able to make something out of this is a little misguided (that Rafaello won't talk to the NCAA post-ligitation is also wholly speculative). If the NCAA allows a team to just clam everyone up and skate on a potential violation, a bad example is being set to the rest of the member schools.

The NCAA destroyed Penn St. solely on the basis of the Freeh Report, I don't think they'd hesitate from dropping charges on Duke solely based on the information that comes out in the Rafaello litigation.

'Good said:
Rafaello not talking to Duke, citing pending litigation: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/11/2332465/ncaa-faces-time-pressure-if-they.html

Wholly reasonable, but I think the scenario of everyone keeping tight lips and the NCAA thusly not being able to make something out of this is a little misguided (that Rafaello won't talk to the NCAA post-ligitation is also wholly speculative). If the NCAA allows a team to just clam everyone up and skate on a potential violation, a bad example is being set to the rest of the member schools.

The NCAA destroyed Penn St. solely on the basis of the Freeh Report, I don't think they'd hesitate from dropping charges on Duke solely based on the information that comes out in the Rafaello litigation.
I'd believe it when I saw it.

'The Commish said:
'Ferris Bueller Fan said:
'randall146 said:
:lmao: That would be awesome if they were the same guy.I think Commish is referring to former Duke PG and assistant coach Tommy Amaker, currently the head coach at Harvard. The team's co-captains, both returning starters from the first Harvard hoops team to win the Ivy conference title, are leaving the team and the school in light of their involvement in an academic cheating scandal. The scandal implicates over 100 students, including several starters on the football team as well as the two basketball players. None of the news reports implicate Amaker in the scandal. His name shows up in the news coverage since he's coached at major programs previously and has connections to one of the Blue Bloods, but this just looks like a bunch of students in a government class got caught plagiarizing papers and cheating on exams. Highly unlikely Amaker's job status is affected by this, other than his team suddenly has to replace the team's leading scorer, as well as their team leader in assists.
This is NOT the standard set in the UNC scandal thread. While I agree with YOU on this, it's my understanding that there are some that believe since something happens on a coach's watch, it's on the coach, but I don't see an official Duke/Harvard cheating thread yet, so I'm assuming a double standard until proven otherwise ;)
Let's not bring the standard set in the UNC scandal thread into this one. UNC fans are better than that ;)

'The Commish said:
'randall146 said:
Let's not bring the standard set in the UNC scandal thread into this one. UNC fans are better than that ;)
They seemed to be individual standards, not entire fan base standards :shrug:

'The Commish said:
'randall146 said:
Not sure why you are drawing a parallel here.The UNC thread is mostly about two things. First, several major violations committed by the football program under Butch Davis. I thought Butch Davis deserved to be fired, and I think any coach whose program commits several major violations should be fired.The other major subject of that thread is the continuing investigation into potential academic fraud that may have helped athletes stay eligible. If it were proven that UNC basketball players were involved, I don't think that means Roy Williams should be fired, unless other violations came out and/or it was shown he knew about the cheating.IMO it is comparing apples and oranges to compare the UNC thread and the perspectives of those posting in it to the situation at Harvard.

15 basketball teams now.
must not be a big deal
I didn't know what the post was about, since it didn't actually provide any info.What does everyone think about this? Haven't read or heard much about it yet, but I gather this is all sports except football and hockey. Anyone surprised the ACC would do this without football? Is it assumed football will follow at some point?

15 basketball teams now.
must not be a big deal
I didn't know what the post was about, since it didn't actually provide any info.What does everyone think about this? Haven't read or heard much about it yet, but I gather this is all sports except football and hockey. Anyone surprised the ACC would do this without football? Is it assumed football will follow at some point?
It goes a long way towards making sure that IF Notre Dame ever joins a conference, that it will be the ACC. Something is better than nothing, from the ACC's POV.

Not sure why you are drawing a parallel here.The UNC thread is mostly about two things. First, several major violations committed by the football program under Butch Davis. I thought Butch Davis deserved to be fired, and I think any coach whose program commits several major violations should be fired.The other major subject of that thread is the continuing investigation into potential academic fraud that may have helped athletes stay eligible. If it were proven that UNC basketball players were involved, I don't think that means Roy Williams should be fired, unless other violations came out and/or it was shown he knew about the cheating.IMO it is comparing apples and oranges to compare the UNC thread and the perspectives of those posting in it to the situation at Harvard.
Absolutely right.Honestly, this last year has really soured me on college sports. The whole thing is just silly. I don't give a #### that some UNC and Miami football players got free airfare or other perks from people who supported their efforts and talked to people who could help their professional careers while in college ... just like other students pursuing other types of careers can do while in college. I don't give a #### that Lance Thomas might have gotten some extra cash or a break on buying some bling because he plays ball, and it would be terrible if something as meaningless as that somehow sullies the 2010 title for Duke players and fans. I certainly don't care about whether Rodney Purvis' high school satisfies some arbitrary standards for quality of education. And on and on and on. I care about UNC's academic scandal as an alum, but not as a sports fan. And now they're killing one of the great things about college sports- the traditional regional rivalries, neighbor vs. neighbor and all that- with continued expansion of these superconferences. Notre Dame? Really? South Bend is basically in Chicago, for chrissakes.Sorry for the rant. Just been on my mind for a while, curious if anyone else is having a similar reaction.

15 basketball teams now.
must not be a big deal
It goes a long way towards making sure that IF Notre Dame ever joins a conference, that it will be the ACC. Something is better than nothing, from the ACC's POV.
Scanned an article about it and learned that ND has committed to playing 5 football games against ACC teams every year, and will participate in the ACC's non-BCS bowl structure. That is an interesting compromise, basically like partial football membership. That makes me like this a lot more for the ACC. :thumbup:

do you think the ACC will stick with 15, or go for 16?

any speculation on how the hoops schedule and/or ACCT would be impacted?

'The Commish said:
'randall146 said:
Yeah, I'm talking about the onslaught of "UNC should get the death penalty guys" when the first "news" of possible problems. I'm commenting on the phases obviously. Since the incidents are in completely different phases right now, of course it's comparing apples and oranges if you're looking at the totality of the threads. Essentially, at this point, I'm talking about the initial pages of of the UNC thread for comparison.

15 basketball teams now.
must not be a big deal
With Swafford at the helm it doesn't surprise me in the least and I wouldn't hold my breath getting their football either. Obviously if there's a different commish at some point, my opinion might change.

Absolutely right.Honestly, this last year has really soured me on college sports. The whole thing is just silly. I don't give a #### that some UNC and Miami football players got free airfare or other perks from people who supported their efforts and talked to people who could help their professional careers while in college ... just like other students pursuing other types of careers can do while in college. I don't give a #### that Lance Thomas might have gotten some extra cash or a break on buying some bling because he plays ball, and it would be terrible if something as meaningless as that somehow sullies the 2010 title for Duke players and fans. I certainly don't care about whether Rodney Purvis' high school satisfies some arbitrary standards for quality of education. And on and on and on. I care about UNC's academic scandal as an alum, but not as a sports fan. And now they're killing one of the great things about college sports- the traditional regional rivalries, neighbor vs. neighbor and all that- with continued expansion of these superconferences. Notre Dame? Really? South Bend is basically in Chicago, for chrissakes.Sorry for the rant. Just been on my mind for a while, curious if anyone else is having a similar reaction.
I agree with everything in this post about the rivalries.

15 basketball teams now.
must not be a big deal
With Swafford at the helm it doesn't surprise me in the least and I wouldn't hold my breath getting their football either. Obviously if there's a different commish at some point, my opinion might change.
Huh? In the last decade, Swofford locked up Miami and Va Tech who are two football powers. Then he locked up the east coast with Pittsburgh and Syracuse. Now he's virtually locked up Notre Dame. The members voted to increase the exit fee to $50M further showing all the crazies insisting FSU, Clemson, and whoever couldn't wait to jump ship were full of crap as I said all along. The ACC will now have football games on NBC, their ESPN contract will increase because they are hand delivering ESPN some Notre Dame games, and they will fill stadiums with Notre Dame fans. The ACC is much stronger today than it was previously. And Swofford was the leader of all that!Big 12 - Lose Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Missouri. Add TCU and West Va. ACC - Add Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame. Loses no one. ACC leadership seems to be doing a good job, IMO.

do you think the ACC will stick with 15, or go for 16?any speculation on how the hoops schedule and/or ACCT would be impacted?
I am guessing they go to 16, but if this football compromise stays, unless they strike a similar deal with someone, it would provide an odd number of teams in football. On the flipside, it already now gives basketball an odd number of teams, but being that there are more games in a basketball season versus football, it should have less impact when trying to fit in total divisional play.

I don't think there will a 16th until Notre Dame joins full time unless that 16th is a school that probably isn't available that comes calling. Like Penn State for example. They aren't adding Rutgers, U Conn, or Louisville for the sake of doing so.

I agree with everything in this post about the rivalries.
I am not saying it is right the way these conferences have grown, but I don't think all is lost in regards to rivalries. People don't like to hear this, but you can create new rivalries over the course of a decade pretty easily. I saw it with Duke and Maryland basketball when I first moved down to Raleigh in '99 and think it can continue to be done because of a few things:Information - in this day and age, I know more about the Akron basketball when they come to UNC (say once every 15 years) than my grandfather would have known about Wake Forest coming to play Duke. Information creates stories, and stories create rivalries.History - while I understand there are many who really soak up the history of a rivalry (and I will tell you, I like the history between Duke/UNC/NC State, for example), I do believe there are really only a handful of situations/places where this cannot be replaced. And usually, these extreme rivalries only go a couple of teams deep (like the example above, Penn State/Ohio State/Michigan, etc.). Who is Clemson's "rival"? Or Georgia Techs, or Florida State's? In many cases, they are not even in the same conference, and this has been the case for decades. But, if something happened, between a couple of those schools (good or bad) a rivalry could be born. And frankly, I would rather say that I was there for the start of it versus following something that has been going on for decades like a lemming.

Just thinking out loud here for basketball with 15 teams.

For scheduling split into three groups. Play the other four teams twice each and the other groups once each for 18 conference games. It could bring back the home and homes for the Tobacco Road schools and create some other good matchups twice a year with Maryland and the northern schools. Divide the teams up:

South: Miami, FSU, Clemson, GT, Va Tech

Mid-Atlantic: UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake, UVA

North: Maryland, Syracuse, Pitt, ND, BC

15 basketball teams now.
must not be a big deal
Huh? In the last decade, Swofford locked up Miami and Va Tech who are two football powers. Then he locked up the east coast with Pittsburgh and Syracuse. Now he's virtually locked up Notre Dame. The members voted to increase the exit fee to $50M further showing all the crazies insisting FSU, Clemson, and whoever couldn't wait to jump ship were full of crap as I said all along. The ACC will now have football games on NBC, their ESPN contract will increase because they are hand delivering ESPN some Notre Dame games, and they will fill stadiums with Notre Dame fans. The ACC is much stronger today than it was previously. And Swofford was the leader of all that!Big 12 - Lose Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Missouri. Add TCU and West Va. ACC - Add Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame. Loses no one. ACC leadership seems to be doing a good job, IMO.
Love the energy you have for the conference :thumbup: but your comments really have nothing to do with anything that was asked or that I responded too :shrug: I don't think Swafford is going to for ND's hand when it comes to football. I'll eat crow if he does. I just don't see it.

Users who are viewing this thread