What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Subscriber Contest is LIVE (1 Viewer)

Anyone rolling with 1QB this year? Might go with just Peyton Manning and roll the dice on week four since its so early. I seem to recall talk of it last year but I don't remember the ending...

tigerz said:
Anyone rolling with 1QB this year? Might go with just Peyton Manning and roll the dice on week four since its so early. I seem to recall talk of it last year but I don't remember the ending...
At least one person that was bragging about the approach, survived Brees' bye week but then was eliminated shortly thereafter IIRC.

Think I might be done:

QB - 2 @ $22

RB - 5 @ $66

WR - 8 @ $99

TE - 3 @ $43

K - 3 @ $9

Def - 3 @ $11

Highest $ in a week: 55 (week 4), 44, 43, 40, 34, 16...

tigerz said:
I have done it twice over the last five years...survived both times during that QBs early bye week, but was eliminated before week 10. A down week from your stud will not kill you, but if you run into injuries with other key players and/or bye weeks from other players, a down week from your QB will probably mean watching from the sidelines. And if you are lucky enough to make the finals with your one stud QB....one down week will probably mean you will not win the whole thing. Good luck if you try it....I would love to see it work.

Now I'm done.

Went a different route this year with fewer players. Also tried something different at QB than I originally intended. However, I did stick to my guns with 3 PK & 3 TD as I still think that is the way to go.

I will be sweating things a bit in week 9, but I don't have any bye week issues outside of that.

Good luck, all! This contest is one of the highlights of the season for me.

Now I'm done.

Went a different route this year with fewer players. Also tried something different at QB than I originally intended. However, I did stick to my guns with 3 PK & 3 TD as I still think that is the way to go.

I will be sweating things a bit in week 9, but I don't have any bye week issues outside of that.

Good luck, all! This contest is one of the highlights of the season for me.
Now I want to look at going with 2 Defenses instead of 3.

I have such a love/hate relationship with this contest.

I will share mine when I complete it because I just started it today and it has changed 5 times today. I am pretty sure though I am going 3 quarterbacks, 6 running backs 8 receivers 4 tight ends 3 kickers and 2 defenses. That is what I have right now. I may drop down to 5 running backs and 7 receivers to up the quality

Ok, I can't sleep here is my latest verison.

QB - Tony Romo - DAL/11 - $14
QB - Jay Cutler - CHI/9 - $12
QB - Matt Cassel - MIN/10 - $4
RB - Eddie Lacy - GB/9 - $28
RB - Doug Martin - TB/7 - $24
RB - Fred Jackson - BUF/9 - $12
RB - Mark Ingram - NO/6 - $9
RB - Dexter McCluster - TEN/9 - $7
RB - Jonathan Stewart - CAR/12 - $5
WR - Dez Bryant - DAL/11 - $27
WR - Antonio Brown - PIT/12 - $22
WR - Greg Jennings - MIN/10 - $9
WR - Justin Hunter - TEN/9 - $9
WR - Kelvin Benjamin - CAR/12 - $5
WR - Nate Washington - TEN/9 - $4
WR - Brandon LaFell - NE/10 - $3
WR - Mohamed Sanu - CIN/4 - $3
TE - Antonio Gates - SD/10 - $10
TE - Heath Miller - PIT/12 - $10
TE - Travis Kelce - KC/6 - $8
TE - Mychal Rivera - OAK/5 - $3
PK - Dan Bailey - DAL/11 - $4
PK - Mason Crosby - GB/9 - $4
PK - Nate Freese - DET/9 - $3
TD - Carolina Panthers - CAR/12 - $4
TD - New Orleans Saints - NO/6 - $4
TD - New York Jets - NYJ/11 - $3

Although I am very tempted to drop Kelce and a defense so I can get the rest of the Green Bay backfield, Starks and Harris

Last edited by a moderator:
tigerz said:
At least one person that was bragging about the approach, survived Brees' bye week but then was eliminated shortly thereafter IIRC.
Not any worse than most of us did.

If I didn't really like a couple mid-priced guys I'd probably go with 1 QB this year.

This is the first year I've given this more than 20 minutes worth of time to make an effort for this.

Code:
QB - Tony Romo - DAL/11 - $14			QB - Jay Cutler - CHI/9 - $12						RB - Matt Forte - CHI/9 - $32			RB - Montee Ball - DEN/4 - $29			RB - Carlos Hyde - SF/8 - $10			RB - Andre Williams - NYG/8 - $7			RB - Jonathan Stewart - CAR/12 - $5			RB - Robert Turbin - SEA/4 - $2						WR - Dez Bryant - DAL/11 - $27			WR - Antonio Brown - PIT/12 - $22			WR - Julian Edelman - NE/10 - $17			WR - Greg Jennings - MIN/10 - $9			WR - Rod Streater - OAK/5 - $7			WR - Cody Latimer - DEN/4 - $6			WR - Kelvin Benjamin - CAR/12 - $5			WR - Mohamed Sanu - CIN/4 - $3						TE - Kyle Rudolph - MIN/10 - $15			TE - Timothy Wright - NE/10 - $5						PK - Dan Bailey - DAL/11 - $4			PK - Matt Bryant - ATL/9 - $4			PK - Adam Vinatieri - IND/10 - $3						TD - Denver Broncos - DEN/4 - $8			TD - Pittsburgh Steelers - PIT/12 - $3

tigerz said:
Not any worse than most of us did.

If I didn't really like a couple mid-priced guys I'd probably go with 1 QB this year.
I will be honest, as of right now I am going 1 QB (Manning). I am not doing it to brag though, that's for sure.

There is a definite risk with this strategy, it's one I gave a lot of though to.

1) Can your team survive the bye week is the major question. In this cae it's week 4 which has added benefit. Other Sharks front load bye weeks dropping cut line scores.

2) I chose Manning for his floor more then for his ceiling, in fact I don't even think he will be QB1 this year.

3) Injury risk. In this case, his arm strenth is improving as is my confidence in his past neck issues, he rarley gets hit and almost never misses games.

I believe the floor of Manning is likely (imo) to outscore most combo's for a total of $30 and in multiple weeks likely outscore both of the cheaper options. This is my main rationale.

Hey everyone. I've been lurking for a while and decided to join and get some feedback. This is my first go at the contest, and here's where I stand today. Thoughts would be appreciated. Bye weeks are to the left of positions

8--QB - Colin Kaepernick - 14

9--QB - Jay Cutler - 12

11-QB - Blake Bortles - 3

4--RB - Montee Ball - 29

7--RB - Doug Martin - 24

5--RB - Knowshon Moreno - 13

6--RB - Mark Ingram - 9

10-RB - James White - 4

4--RB - Benny Cunningham - 3

12-WR - Antonio Brown - 22

10-WR - Cordarrelle Patterson - 18

8--WR - Rueben Randle - 14

7--WR - Mike Evans - 11

12-WR - Kelvin Benjamin - 5

4--WR - John Brown - 3

6--TE - Jimmy Graham - 30

7--TE - Zach Ertz - 13

7--TE - Austin Seferian-Jenkins - 5

4--PK - Mike Nugent - 3

9--PK - Nate Freese - 3

10-PK - Adam Vinatieri - 3

9--TD - Tennessee Titans - 3

10-TD - Indianapolis Colts - 3

12-TD - Pittsburgh Steelers - 3

Cannot figure out how to get more than 19/20 guys.

QB: 2 @ 26

RB: 5 @ 87

WR: 6 @ 76

TE: 2 @ 48

K: 2 @ 6

D: 2 @ 7

Still debating on whether to just go with Peyton at QB.

Really wish I had a higher degree of confidence that Blake Bortles would be the starter by Week 7. He doesn't even need to be a "great" starter...just a "starter."

I'd be much more inclined to go with 2 QBs (one stud + Bortles) if I knew that to be the case. But I don't want to take the risk of a 0 at QB beyond Week 7 (or later, depending on stud QB selected). Though, I suppose if you're inclined to take 3 QBs, Bortles is worth the gamble if you have two other starters.

I think I'm finished "fixing" my team.

27 guys

QB: 3 @ 28

RB: 6 @ 87

WR: 8 @ 87

TE: 4 @ 29

K: 3 @ 9

D: 3 @ 10

This needs to end....soon.

I'm losing my mind over this thing.

I read an article, go in to "tweak" things and BAM!!! I'm adjusting my entire team. I've literally had maybe 3 players stay consistent throughout ever change I've made.

Bye weeks are the cause of a lot of my early changes, but now I'm just randomly replacing my entire WR corps just to see if I can get X player on there.

Broncos are the key to this thing. Having a strategy for that team is key.

Part of me wants to avoid the whole team, and hope for a Manning injury.

Broncos are the key to this thing. Having a strategy for that team is key.

Part of me wants to avoid the whole team, and hope for a Manning injury.
:goodposting:

Personally, I think you have to include either Manning or either Thomas just to keep pace. However, going all in with 3 or 4 (w/ Welker and/or Sanders) sets yourself up for destruction in the inevitable week that they struggle late in the season. The big debate is whether to go with 2 of them or not, IMO. It is stupid to avoid all of them (especially with their bye in week 4) and too reckless for my tastes to spend on all 3. I guess a Manning/Thomas/Sanders combo could work.

I've settled on one Bronco for my roster at this point....but who knows what I may do in the next 30 hours. :loco:

I'm pretty sure I have changed this like 30 times since inception, I also can't wait for it to lock and just sit back.

QB - 2 @ $35

RB - 5 @ $89

WR - 5 @ $70

TE - 3 @ $40

K - 3 @ $9

Def - 2 @ $7

QB - Drew Brees - NO/6 - $26
QB - Blake Bortles - JAX/11 - $3
RB - Shane Vereen - NE/10 - $23
RB - Reggie Bush - DET/9 - $23
RB - Maurice Jones-Drew - OAK/5 - $15
RB - Khiry Robinson - NO/6 - $10
RB - Donald Brown - SD/10 - $5
RB - Benny Cunningham - STL/4 - $3
WR - Demaryius Thomas - DEN/4 - $29
WR - Vincent Jackson - TB/7 - $23
WR - Cordarrelle Patterson - MIN/10 - $18
WR - Cody Latimer - DEN/4 - $6
WR - Markus Wheaton - PIT/12 - $5
TE - Jimmy Graham - NO/6 - $30
TE - Timothy Wright - NE/10 - $5
PK - Randy Bullock - HOU/10 - $3
PK - Mike Nugent - CIN/4 - $3
PK - Shayne Graham - NO/6 - $3
TD - Houston Texans - HOU/10 - $4
TD - Buffalo Bills - BUF/9 - $4
TD - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - TB/7 - $4

Barring any last minute injuries, suspensions, or arrests, here is my final submission.

QB. 3 @ $28

RB 5@ $81

WR. 6 @ $81

TE. 3 @ $42

K. 2 @ $ 6

DEF 2 @ $11

21 players, $249. Can't find anything to do with the extra $ without reshuffling everything. I'm trying to improve my luck, so I'm doing the opposite of what I normally do.

So I've got a website up and running for the live scoring and some other stuff I'm working on.

You can check it out here.

Obviously the live scoring hasn't started yet, and the site is not much to look at, but there are two things you can check out now:

First, you can create a login for the site now. Then once the contest locks and I get all the entries loaded into the database (sometime on Thursday) you'll be able to link your entry (and up to 9 others) to your login, just like you could on OC's site. I thought that was a great feature, since no one wants to remember all those six digit codes and whatnot. Note, you do not need to create a login to use the site, you'll be able to use the live scoring by keying in the entry number every time, you just need a login if you want to link entries.

Second, I've got a historical querier online. It's pretty simple right now, I plan to add a lot more functionality to it, but for the time being you can use it to find the survival rates for teams based on the number of players and the amount spent at each position, for each contest year from 2007 through 2013. So as you're making those last minute tweaks to your 2014 entry and you're considering going with just 1 QB, you can check and see how teams with just 1 QB have fared for the past 7 years.

This is and will continue to be a work in progress. I did a moderate amount of testing over the past two weeks but It's my first stab at anything like this so I'm sure there will be some kind of spectacular catastrophe at some point, probably sooner rather than later. Please let me know if you have any problems or feedback - there's a contact form on the site or you can post here, I'll be checking in.

Also I did throw a donation button on there but don't use it yet! Once the season gets rolling, IF the site works as planned and IF you find that it's providing value to your contest experience, I would appreciate a contribution to help offset some of the costs, but that's totally optional and I don't want anyone sending anything until I work out any bugs that may arise once the season starts for real.

Totally lost this year. I was converted by the "large roster" guys a few years ago, but this year it seems tough to be able to build a 28-30 man roster that makes any logical sense. I'm bouncing around between 24 and 25 now and I really can't see how I can go bigger without really sacrificing talent. As I currently sit I have:

QB: 3 ($32)

RB: 6 ($96)

WR: 6 ($61)

TE: 3 ($41)

PK: 3 ($10)

Def: 3 ($10)

Obviously spent heavy at RB, but that's by design. I always enjoy this contest even though I've never been terribly competitive at it.

Went with two top 5 RBs and two top 5 WRs.

Grabbed some solid depth for the flex spots...I think it will be competitive. .

QB-3-$31

RB-8-$94

WR-7-$81

TE-3-$26

PK-3-$9

TD-2-$9

So I've got a website up and running for the live scoring and some other stuff I'm working on.

You can check it out here.

Obviously the live scoring hasn't started yet, and the site is not much to look at, but there are two things you can check out now:

First, you can create a login for the site now. Then once the contest locks and I get all the entries loaded into the database (sometime on Thursday) you'll be able to link your entry (and up to 9 others) to your login, just like you could on OC's site. I thought that was a great feature, since no one wants to remember all those six digit codes and whatnot. Note, you do not need to create a login to use the site, you'll be able to use the live scoring by keying in the entry number every time, you just need a login if you want to link entries.

Second, I've got a historical querier online. It's pretty simple right now, I plan to add a lot more functionality to it, but for the time being you can use it to find the survival rates for teams based on the number of players and the amount spent at each position, for each contest year from 2007 through 2013. So as you're making those last minute tweaks to your 2014 entry and you're considering going with just 1 QB, you can check and see how teams with just 1 QB have fared for the past 7 years.

This is and will continue to be a work in progress. I did a moderate amount of testing over the past two weeks but It's my first stab at anything like this so I'm sure there will be some kind of spectacular catastrophe at some point, probably sooner rather than later. Please let me know if you have any problems or feedback - there's a contact form on the site or you can post here, I'll be checking in.

Also I did throw a donation button on there but don't use it yet! Once the season gets rolling, IF the site works as planned and IF you find that it's providing value to your contest experience, I would appreciate a contribution to help offset some of the costs, but that's totally optional and I don't want anyone sending anything until I work out any bugs that may arise once the season starts for real.
Great stuff, sir.

QB - Drew Brees - NO/6 - $26

QB - Blake Bortles - JAX/11 - $3

RB - Shane Vereen - NE/10 - $23

RB - Reggie Bush - DET/9 - $23

RB - Maurice Jones-Drew - OAK/5 - $15

RB - Khiry Robinson - NO/6 - $10

RB - Donald Brown - SD/10 - $5

RB - Benny Cunningham - STL/4 - $3

WR - Demaryius Thomas - DEN/4 - $29

WR - Vincent Jackson - TB/7 - $23

WR - Cordarrelle Patterson - MIN/10 - $18

WR - Cody Latimer - DEN/4 - $6

WR - Markus Wheaton - PIT/12 - $5

TE - Jimmy Graham - NO/6 - $30

TE - Timothy Wright - NE/10 - $5

PK - Randy Bullock - HOU/10 - $3

PK - Mike Nugent - CIN/4 - $3

PK - Shayne Graham - NO/6 - $3

TD - Houston Texans - HOU/10 - $4

TD - Buffalo Bills - BUF/9 - $4

TD - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - TB/7 - $4
dang you!!

Version #33456765453 underway

It's in, won't touch it again. (right)

21 players

2QB, 5RB, 6WR, 3TE, 3PK, 2D

One stud at every position, sprinkled in some upside risk.

Users who are viewing this thread