What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Offseason Coaching Changes (1 Viewer)

NBC Denver reports the Broncos are interested in ex-Giants coach Ben McAdoo for their opening at QBs coach.

They are reportedly also interested in ex-Bengals OC Ken Zampese. The Broncos have an opening after QBs coach Bill Musgrave was promoted to offensive coordinator in November. They announced Tuesday that Musgrave would remain offensive coordinator for 2018. McAdoo was Aaron Rodgers' quarterbacks coach in Green Bay before arriving in New York. He did poor work with Eli Manning and the Giants' offense.

Related: Broncos

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter

I've read this about ten times and don't know what it means. What are you trying to say?
I don't agree with him, but he's saying that Matt Stafford is a "coach killer"--a QB too good to get rid of but not good enough to win anything significant. So he's saying letting that guy not only keep the franchise mired in mediocrity but also letting him dictate the coaching staff isn't a good idea. 

*Again, I don't agree with him. Just my interpretation of what he's saying. 

ESPN's Josh Weinfuss reports the Cardinals will interview Falcons special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong for their head-coaching vacancy.

Teams are seeming more open to special teams coordinators this hiring season, but Armstrong will still be an extreme long shot to replace Bruce Arians. His interview will take place following the Falcons' Wild Card game this weekend.

Related: Cardinals

Source: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter 

Jan 2 - 3:11 PM

I don't agree with him, but he's saying that Matt Stafford is a "coach killer"--a QB too good to get rid of but not good enough to win anything significant. So he's saying letting that guy not only keep the franchise mired in mediocrity but also letting him dictate the coaching staff isn't a good idea. 

*Again, I don't agree with him. Just my interpretation of what he's saying. 
Ohhhh...I see it now. Thanks.

The problem with the Lions is Stafford?

I've read this about ten times and don't know what it means. What are you trying to say?
They are frequently behind early because of the poor play of their “franchise” QB. Why put any stock into what he says about coaching?? IMO he’s a coach killer, great talent but will get coaches fired because it seems like it’s the coaches fault when often it’s truly his 

Ok with Lewis staying. OL started to jell and Mixon was coming around. Don't #### with Mixon's carries though. Will they be any better? No but Mixon will get his.

• Smile
Reactions: J R
In his press conference yesterday Bob Quinn made it clear their will be no involvement by Stafford or any other player in deciding the next coach of the Liobs next HC. In a free flowing tone which belied it was in direct response to Stafford’s remarks, he explicitly said keeping their current OC - ATM every assistant is still under contract, except for O-line coach who was also fired Monday morning - is not a limiting factor in the HC search. “We’re gonna find the best head coach now and worry about the OC & QB later.”

It was unusual for Stafford to lobby like that but I think everyone knows this isn’t the NBA. Stars don’t dictate to the club who to hire. Stafford can make all the throws, if they go to another offensive scheme, he’ll adjust. 

Statistical splits or a decent set of eyeballs don’t support the view that Stafford is the reason the Lions are “frequently behind.” They were often too conservative and predictable early in 2017 games, especially on first down. They did have a lot of games in which they came out flat both offensively and defensively - think they were down 0-10 four weeks in a row. But that was more due to their lack of first down success (last in the league this year) then anything Staff was or was not doing. It was maddening how often Ameer or Theo would run into the pile to setup 2nd & 10.

Last year they were a little more varied in their play calling, especially in the early game scripts. When they finished the preset script they seemed lost what to do and ending up blowing a lot of double digit leads in 2016 (Colts, Eagles & Redskins games come to mind), which in turn led to the NFL record 8 comeback wins.

Being too conservative early is a derivative of another tendency in the Caldwell era - they’d turtle up once they went up two scores. It’s how they lost a 20 point lead at home versus the Packers last season, an 18 point lead in the road opener (San Diego) in 2015, and blew their biggest playoff game lead ever (14 points @ Dallas) in 2014.

Those attributes transcended both OCs in the Caldwell era. That said, the bloom is definitely off JBC. Would not be surprised if they move on from him. He definitely helped Matthew with his footwork - immeasurably better, you don’t see those WTF throws off his back foot or that goofy sidearm into a tight window he could get away with when Calvin was ripping away contested catches. That’s the qualitative, and quantitatively just google Stafford before before / after Cooter. It’s like a boilerplate for when writers run out of stuff to write, “hey let’s compare Stafford’s 41 games under JBC with the 41 before that.” It’s just gonna keep getting better because Stafford’s worst years were his last 1-1/2 seasons under Schwartz.

Stafford’s comfort and continuity will be a consideration, and it should be - he’s the best QB they’ve had in the SB era, and #2 isn’t close - but I definitely don’t think there’s any rational reason for pushing the narrative it’s the driving force behind who they hire.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW I have not been particularly impressed with Jim Bob Cooter as an offensive coordinator but I think the league needs more guys with names like Jim Bob so I hope they hire him as head coach.  

If Jim Bob hired Billy Joe Tolliver as his OC and Billy Joe Hobert as his QB coach, or real estate broker, or whatever, I would immediately convert to being a Lions fan for life.

The strangest part about the Lewis situation the last month has been how badly Schefter whiffed on everything he reported.  In hindsight, he was dead wrong all along. When does that ever happen?
Camp Lewis used him to their own ends.  Same as back in '11.

-QG

Camp Lewis used him to their own ends.  Same as back in '11.

-QG
This seems like the case.  Schefter sure isn’t getting any leaks from Mike Brown.   

I am in the camp that his hire would be worse than Lewis, and I’m not a Lewis fan.  Marvin does have a relationship with Del Rio.  Any chance he is next DC?

Ya maybe on Del Rio. We also have Kevin Coyle back on the staff. Staying local on D wouldn’t excite or bother me.  Offense though, they literally need to throw their scheme in a trash can and start over. I want major changes there and hopefully an outsider for OC. 

Did you even read the article or are you just trying to tarnish the guy?

Pittsburgh police say Haley’s wife, Christine, who was involved in what they termed a minor scuffle at Tequila Cowboy restaurant and bar on North Shore Drive, a block from Heinz Field.

The scuffle quickly ended and, according to the police, Haley was not involved. 

The Dolphins rumored to be signing Dowell Loggains as their offensive coordinator and Adam Gase will no longer call plays.

The offense has been terrible and Gase should likely be fired, but instead they take power away from him. Then they bring in a coach whos offenses have been pretty mediocre or worse with the team looking to upgrade their offense soon after.

I would consider divesting in Dolphins players short term.

I'm both surprised and not that the Bengals resigned Lewis. It'd be just like them to basically say "Yeah, we're ok with being mediocre." I feel really bad for John Ross who probably will never have a career now.

Also, wouldn't be shocked if the future coach of the Bengals is... Jeff Fisher.

Sounds like Mularkey is safe, hamstringing the Titans for another year. He's holding that team back (him and the OC). Time to fire them both and promote Lebeau to HC.

The New York Post reports Alabama coach Nick Saban is not interested in the Giants' head-coaching vacancy.

The seemingly-annual Giants/Saban rumors began percolating earlier Tuesday. The pairing cannot be completely ruled out, but it's clearly not the most likely outcome in East Rutherford.

Related: Giants

Source: Paul Schwartz on Twitter 

Jan 9 - 6:03 PM

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Packers now preparing to hire former Browns’ HC Mike Pettine as their defensive coordinator, per league source.

This ended up being really boring.  Only 5 teams fired coaches, which means the floodgates will open after 2018 season.

Teams that fired coaches for 2018
NYG
CHI
DET
IND
OAK

Coaches that could have/should have been/were rumored to be in jeopardy of being fired:
WAS
TBB
NYJ
CLE
CIN
HOU
TEN
DEN

Now Patricia being rumored to NYG. Can’t wait to hear the story behind the scenes if true. Lions gonna Lion I guess.

Now Patricia being rumored to NYG. Can’t wait to hear the story behind the scenes if true. Lions gonna Lion I guess.
Do you really need a behind the scenes story to explain why a guy would prefer the (hometown) Giants over the Lions?

Did you even read the article or are you just trying to tarnish the guy?
I read the article and gave my take on it.  Your selective quoting leaves out the reason to doubt the police report. I'll bold that reason.

Pittsburgh police say Haley’s wife, Christine, was involved in what they termed a minor scuffle at Tequila Cowboy restaurant and bar on North Shore Drive, a block from Heinz Field.

The scuffle quickly ended and, according to the police, Haley was not involved. They also said he was not injured, but a statement by the Steelers said the coach had an unspecified injury after falling down and a source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette his hip was injured.
The police were not honest about Haley's injury, so there's no reason to believe they were honest about his "noninvolvement".

ATL should fire the entire coaching staff they just can't win with that regime. please ATL , get rid of these idiots

and please NYG do NOT hire Patricia as HC..not one single coach who left BB's regime in NE ever amounted to a hill of beans as a HC elsewhere..learn from other teams' mistakes..do NOT follow suit, do NOT hire him as your HC..that would be worse than keeping the slick headed McAdont in town.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Lions are expected to hire Patriots DC Matt Patricia as their next head coach.

Patrica had been considered the front-runner to replace Ben McAdoo in East Rutherford, but now it looks like he'll end up in the Motor City, where he'll be reunited with former Patriots scout and current Lions GM Bob Quinn. The 43-year-old has served on Bill Belichick's staff since 2004 including the last six years as New England's defensive coordinator. The Lions won't be able to officially introduce Patricia until the Patriots conclude their postseason run. With the Colts and Giants pursuing OC Josh McDaniels and LBs coach Brian Flores a finalist for the head job in Arizona, New England's coaching staff could look vastly different in 2018.

Related: Lions

Source: ESPN.com 

Jan 14 - 9:16 AM

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Patriots OC Josh McDaniels is the "clear favorite" to replace Chuck Pagano as the Colts' next head coach.

McDaniels is also a finalist for the Giants' head-coaching vacancy, though it looks like he's leaning toward joining Andrew Luck in Indianapolis. The 41-year-old didn't have much success in his first head-coaching stint with Denver from 2009-10, but McDaniels has been widely considered among the league's top coordinators throughout his tenure in Foxboro and deserves another chance to lead his own team. The Colts will have to wait for the Patriots to finish their season before hiring McDaniels. Texans DC Mike Vrabel is the other finalist for the head job in Indy.

Related: Colts

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jan 14 - 9:46 AM

ATL should fire the entire coaching staff they just can't win with that regime. please ATL , get rid of these idiots

and please NYG do NOT hire Patricia as HC..not one single coach who left BB's regime in NE ever amounted to a hill of beans as a HC elsewhere..learn from other teams' mistakes..do NOT follow suit, do NOT hire him as your HC..that would be worse than keeping the slick headed McAdont in town.
I think Quinn is a excellent coach, rat face shanny jr leaving was a big issue,  not sure why he went with sarkisian. I'm sure he is back another season though

As I said in the Giants thread, not sure where I stand on this hire - guess it's a pretty "Giants" type guy - professional, not some young whiz kid, has paid his dues... I do like his QB bonafides seeing as we will soon be grooming the next QB after Eli, but I am a bit enamoured with McDaniels now that he has already had his first taste as a HC.  Plenty fine letting Patricia go, because he has not.

Ok with Lewis staying. OL started to jell and Mixon was coming around. Don't #### with Mixon's carries though. Will they be any better? No but Mixon will get his.
He's had 14 years without a single playoff win.  How long should a team wait before searching for a new leader?

He's had 14 years without a single playoff win.  How long should a team wait before searching for a new leader?
They should most certainly fire him but since I own Mixon and he was coming on at the end of the year, I don't want them messing with the O. I think the OC is back.

Rams OC Matt LaFleur will interview for the Titans' head-coaching vacancy on Thursday.

LaFleur just wrapped up his first season as offensive coordinator after coaching the Falcons' QBs under OC Kyle Shanahan the previous two seasons. 38-year-old LaFleur is an outside-the-box name but one that is certainly worthy of consideration after what the Rams were able to do offensively under Sean McVay. LaFleur may not be ready for the jump, but many thought the same of McVay. LaFleur has learned under some of the brightest offensive minds in the sport.

Related: Titans

Source: Gary Klein on Twitter 

Jan 15 - 8:00 PM

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette suggests there's a real possibility the Steelers move on from OC Todd Haley.

Haley does not have a contract for 2018, and his relationship with Ben Roethlisberger became increasingly fractured in 2017. One Steelers source told the Post-Gazette that one of the reasons Big Ben openly contemplated retirement was his failing rapport with Haley. The two "rarely talked along the sidelines," and "never huddled to discuss strategy" during games. Roethlisberger reportedly requested QBs coach Randy Fichtner to come down from the booth to create a game-day "buffer" between the quarterback and Pittsburgh's OC. Fichtner is reportedly a "strong candidate" to replace Haley if he isn't re-signed.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 

Jan 15 - 5:17 PM

The Titans will interview Panthers DC Steve Wilks for their head-coaching job.

Wilks has drawn interest from the Giants, Cardinals, and Colts, although he forewent an interview with Indy because he believed they were more committed to hiring an offensive-minded coach, which appears correct with the Josh McDaniels marriage all but consummated. At very least, the Titans would satisfy the Rooney Rule by interviewing Wilks. CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora says Wilks landing with the Cardinals is also a "real possibility."

Related: Titans

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter 

Jan 15 - 4:45 PM

Users who are viewing this thread