What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (6 Viewers)

Rank.Player

1.Waite Hoyt • 1921 . .00 . 27.0 IP

Christy Mathewson • 1905 . .00 . 27.0 IP

Kenny Rogers • 2006 . .00 . 23.0 IP

Matt Cain • 2010.   00 . 21.1 IP

Carl Hubbell • 1933.  00 . 20.0 IP

Mike Boddicker • 1983.  00 . 18.0 IP

Whitey Ford • 1960.   00 .  18.0 IP

Pedro Martinez • 1999 . .00 . 17.0 IP

Joe McGinnity • 1905.  00 . 17.0 IP

Duster Mails • 1920.  00 .  15.2 IP

All 0.00 ERA's
Ehhh. 2/3 of them played in the dead ball era against whites only and the others had less IP. Cain and Rogers I’ll grant but I think if Cole has another game like this he tops the list. Plus he won an elimination game (not sure who else on the list has). 

Ehhh. 2/3 of them played in the dead ball era against whites only and the others had less IP. Cain and Rogers I’ll grant but I think if Cole has another game like this he tops the list. Plus he won an elimination game (not sure who else on the list has). 
I’ll never forget Waite Hoyt shutting down a guy who looked like my dad, who is age 75. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For a team that is a slave to analytics, how in the world do you move Torres out of the 3 hole when he has accounted for almost all of their runs? No way on earth an analytic says Gardner should be hitting there over him.

Well Cards finally ran out of gas when facing some great pitching. Cards had an amazing season with a hell of a stretch run , hard to imagine that midway through the year, that took every effort to beat out a really hot Milwaukee club that just kept winning.   And quietly the Nationals were just as hot as the Cards and Brewers down the stretch - no one talked about it. So it's no fluke when they beat a hot Milwaukee club, then bounced a good Dodger team and whipped my Redbirds.  I don't know who or when the AL team gets decided - but these Nationals get to set up an awesome pitching lineup that will give either AL team a run and I won't be surprised if they take it. As a NL fan I hope they do - especially if its the Yankees. Cardinals have some hard work to do to get back here - not sure if they are constructed to do it yet somehow they keep surprising me and they find a way. One thing for sure - being a Cardinal fan is great. Hope the National fans can enjoy that same feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm surprised the announcers didn't bring this up when it happened, but they were too busy praising Springer and Altuve's baserunning skills during that rundown.  But they actually took a big chance and it only succeeded because of poor defense by the Yankees.

DJ gets the ball and runs towards Springer caught between third and home.  At that point, Springer yells to Altuve to come to third.  DJ still closing in throws to third base.  At this point, the Yankee at third (not sure if it was the third basemen at this point of the rundown) should have turned and swiped Altuve.  Watch the replay and you can see Altuve was dead to rites.  But the third basemen stepped forward to catch the ball and ran towards Springer.  Yankees had a good chance to get two outs there and leave a runner only on second.  I realize it's happening fast but you have to be aware of Altuve coming into third with no intention of slowing down.  He wasn't going to turn and run back at that point.

If the winds are what they say they will be on Thursday (not sure how the stadium blocks wind), Game 4 could be a "small ball" kind of day.  I actually think that favors the Astros.  Greinke has given up the long ball, so if the Astros do end up starting him, I think he could end up being effective.  I don't think the Yankees have to worry as much as people are making out about their bullpen being tired.  They've been well rested, so some extra work for one week shouldn't make that big of difference.  

I also think the pressure falls back on the Yankees now.  You're at home, so you're expected to win.  Plus, if you lose, the series goes to 3-1.  I also think if they lose tomorrow (Game 4), the series will end in The Bronx.  

Cheapest WS ticket in Washington on stub hub is almost a grand 😳
I have to think that comes down to closer to gametime.  I was looking at SRO tickets before the game last night, and they were around $100.  Cheapest SRO for WS games 3 and 4 is currently $828.  8x jump seems a bit much, but, as DC has never experienced before and people have been waiting for this for years, I could be wrong.

I have to think that comes down to closer to gametime.  I was looking at SRO tickets before the game last night, and they were around $100.  Cheapest SRO for WS games 3 and 4 is currently $828.  8x jump seems a bit much, but, as DC has never experienced before and people have been waiting for this for years, I could be wrong.
I hope to go to the Saturday game if the Astros can win. I’ve never been. Only been to one playoff game ever. 

Drive up Friday and maybe hit some monuments or something during the afternoon and find a local watering hole to catch game 3. 

Looks like the wind models are showing that they could be stronger than thought.  Not by much, but over 20mph.

Also, I think I had the stadium direction wrong.  These winds could be blowing to straightaway center field.  That could turn this game into a homerun derby.

I hope to go to the Saturday game if the Astros can win. I’ve never been. Only been to one playoff game ever. 

Drive up Friday and maybe hit some monuments or something during the afternoon and find a local watering hole to catch game 3. 
I can't imagine going to a playoff game in the opposing teams stadium.  If your team loses, you'll be ridiculed relentlessly.  And if they win, I'd be afraid of angry drunks looking to exact some revenge.  Lose-lose.

Looks like the wind models are showing that they could be stronger than thought.  Not by much, but over 20mph.

Also, I think I had the stadium direction wrong.  These winds could be blowing to straightaway center field.  That could turn this game into a homerun derby.
Tonight's game has a good chance of being rained out - heavy rains expected in the NY region this afternoon/tonight.

In 2014 I paid $650 for an upper deck ticket to Game 6 for the Royals. We hadn't been to one in 30 years, so I was happy to pay it.

And that's Kansas City prices. I'm sure those tickets in DC are going to be astronomical. 

I can't imagine going to a playoff game in the opposing teams stadium.  If your team loses, you'll be ridiculed relentlessly.  And if they win, I'd be afraid of angry drunks looking to exact some revenge.  Lose-lose.
There are so many people from different areas that come to work in DC. I bet you see a decent amount of Astros fans there. The only place I’d be afraid is New York. I heard they were throwing stuff on the field yesterday and there were fights in the stands. 

There are always the random fans that will do something, but I think Nats' fans are generally pretty respectful, given the transient nature of the town, as long as not obnoxious about it.  Only visiting fans that would probably have issues are Phillies fans, but that is because they try to start stuff and are ********.

There are always the random fans that will do something, but I think Nats' fans are generally pretty respectful, given the transient nature of the town, as long as not obnoxious about it.  Only visiting fans that would probably have issues are Phillies fans, but that is because they try to start stuff and are ********.
I'm not lumping everyone in, by any means.  And for a regular season game, no issues.  But in a playoff game, lots of drunk die hard fans.  Emotions are running high.  I'm just saying, I'd never go to an opposing team's ballpark for a postseason game.  

So I'm surprised the announcers didn't bring this up when it happened, but they were too busy praising Springer and Altuve's baserunning skills during that rundown.  But they actually took a big chance and it only succeeded because of poor defense by the Yankees.

DJ gets the ball and runs towards Springer caught between third and home.  At that point, Springer yells to Altuve to come to third.  DJ still closing in throws to third base.  At this point, the Yankee at third (not sure if it was the third basemen at this point of the rundown) should have turned and swiped Altuve.  Watch the replay and you can see Altuve was dead to rites.  But the third basemen stepped forward to catch the ball and ran towards Springer.  Yankees had a good chance to get two outs there and leave a runner only on second.  I realize it's happening fast but you have to be aware of Altuve coming into third with no intention of slowing down.  He wasn't going to turn and run back at that point.
I'm not sure a human, in realtime, could process all that and do what you suggest.  The third baseman is concentrating solely on the rundown and DJ with the ball. He can't really be looking around to see where Altuve is.  Plus, if he takes that chance and doesn't get him, Altuve is at third and the runner scores. He made the right play.  Initially I thought DJ maybe could have handled it differently but on the one replay I saw I think it just worked out perfectly for the Stros. It was a risk, could have been an easy 2 outs but Springer had confidence he could prolong the play long enough and he did.

Personally I thought it was odd they highlighted Altuve on that play when he didn't do much but run, Forrest, run. Springer made the play work

Supposed to be an announcement at noon according to WFAN. 

They also had a discussion earlier and everyone agreed that yesterday’s game was not epic. 😂
There's always a chance that it doesn't rain as bad or there's a dry slot, but with a nor'easter, we're talking a good soaking rain for hours.  I saw that most models are projecting 2+ inches of rain for the NYC area.  I just can't see MLB trying to play through this.  I expect this game to be cancelled.

There's always a chance that it doesn't rain as bad or there's a dry slot, but with a nor'easter, we're talking a good soaking rain for hours.  I saw that most models are projecting 2+ inches of rain for the NYC area.  I just can't see MLB trying to play through this.  I expect this game to be cancelled.
That storm is massive.   :jawdrop:

That storm is massive.   :jawdrop:
Yeah, if this was December, it would be a blizzard.  Just came in a little too early.  But this is the type of setup that will drop feet of snow over the mid Atlantic and New England.  The low bombs out off the coast and just intensifies to a huge storm.

With the Nats going to the WS, that leaves just one MLB team to have never appeared there.  And given their current roster, they ain't getting there any time soon.  Epitome of ineptitude.  

I read somewhere that if the Astros play the Nats in the World Series, we can't say who will win but we know who the loser will be:  The Detroit Tigers  :lol:

I read somewhere that if the Astros play the Nats in the World Series, we can't say who will win but we know who the loser will be:  The Detroit Tigers  :lol:
How Dave Dombrowski continues to find jobs is amazing to me.  He destroyed the Tigers and they aren't even remotely close to anything approximating a rebuild.  

Users who are viewing this thread