What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (1 Viewer)

My strategy of having (a suggestion saying he was one of the fastest guys in the league andg giving other ideas... knowing he would go with the fastest) my son take 11 for a jersey number because of his affinity for speed and wanting to keep him on team Raiders is going to need to be rethought now. 

tmz with more pics, immediately after the accident.  toyota still engulfed in flames.  jeez

@Joe Bryant remember when i said tmz was crazy good.  and if they had it, it was reliable and true.  this is an example.

For the season... this worries me. Aside from Carr, Ruggs is the most important player to this offense IMO. Waller is the better player but Ruggs speed stresses the opposing defenses on a way that Waller can not. It stretches and opens the field up. Waller goes out Moreau can come in and play well. This will be a significant downgrade for regardless of who takes his spot. 
Exactly. From a football only perspective this is a big hit. His speed created a lot of space underneath for Waller, Edwards, Renfrow et al. 

He was asked to be cut. Also asked to be cut from Denver. 
dude asks to be cut from two teams, because he's not good enough (according to the teams)  to be on field.  and you want him on the team?  

and how does one, not get playing time on the PS?  

hell, the raiders thought so much of him, they would rather pay him, to not be on the team, than have him stand on the sideline.

tmz with more pics, immediately after the accident.  toyota still engulfed in flames.  jeez

@Joe Bryant remember when i said tmz was crazy good.  and if they had it, it was reliable and true.  this is an example.
I used to think they were a tabloid rag based on their delivery - and I still think they're kind of scummy bottom feeders who contribute to the downfall of society, but yeah, they're usually really good at vetting stories they present. 

ETA: just saw the pics, and that's just nightmare fuel. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely agree that this is going to be a huge on-field hit too. Ruggs was just starting to get the credit he deserved for being a major weapon out there. Cannot replace his combo of speed and ball skills. Desean Jackson is the closest facsimile available, but he's running on fumes and unlikely to last long physically if thrust out there the way Ruggs was all season.

dude asks to be cut from two teams, because he's not good enough (according to the teams)  to be on field.  and you want him on the team?  

hell, the raiders thought so much of him, they would rather pay him, to not be on the team, than have him stand on the sideline.
He's fast and he knows the playbook. It's not like we're choosing between a lot of great options here. And he doesn't cost any draft picks.

Completely agree that this is going to be a huge on-field hit too. Ruggs was just starting to get the credit he deserved for being a major weapon out there. Cannot replace his combo of speed and ball skills. Desean Jackson is the closest facsimile available, but he's running on fumes and unlikely to last long physically if thrust out there the way Ruggs was all season.
I question if he has lost a step too

He's fast and he knows the playbook. It's not like we're choosing between a lot of great options here. And he doesn't cost any draft picks.
valid point.  i wonder how much the playbook has changed/stayed the same since emailgate.  not much, i'd imagine.  

I wonder how close Tyrell Williams is to a return? Could be a cheap trade target from a nothing to gain but picks DET team. 

If there is anyone to judge whether he has or doesn't have anything valuable to add it is our offensive staff with the time spent. I didn't see enough to day either way. He spent the off season learning the system so if he is physically capable should be a sign and play. Pretty much anyone else would be limited as they learn. DeSean has significant questions over his age. Is he really that fast anymore? With your logic if he was so good, the Rams, if all teams, would not be interested in moving him. The expectation is that they will release him if they don't trade him. 

I've been thinking for a while now that Zay Jones was an injury to Ruggs or Edwards away from making a major splash this season. He doesn't have Ruggs' speed (few do), but Zay isn't slow; and I predict Zay will do an admirable job trying to fill the Ruggs role. I'd rather see him given the shot than some castoff from another team at this stage of the season.

the 420 crowd might get their wish....a stoner call up from the PS.  more likely dj turner.  they'll have to call someone up for this weekend.  anyone heard anything on waller's injury?  this game is starting to look rough.

I've been thinking for a while now that Zay Jones was an injury to Ruggs or Edwards away from making a major splash this season. He doesn't have Ruggs' speed (few do), but Zay isn't slow; and I predict Zay will do an admirable job trying to fill the Ruggs role. I'd rather see him given the shot than some castoff from another team at this stage of the season.
me too.  i've thought this all season.  i thought zay might outperform ruggs before the season started.

I used to think they were a tabloid rag based on their delivery - and I still think they're kind of scummy bottom feeders who contribute to the downfall of society, but yeah, they're usually really good at vetting stories they present. 

ETA: just saw the pics, and that's just nightmare fuel. 

They remind me of the  movie Nightcrawler.

If there is anyone to judge whether he has or doesn't have anything valuable to add it is our offensive staff with the time spent. I didn't see enough to day either way. He spent the off season learning the system so if he is physically capable should be a sign and play. Pretty much anyone else would be limited as they learn. DeSean has significant questions over his age. Is he really that fast anymore? With your logic if he was so good, the Rams, if all teams, would not be interested in moving him. The expectation is that they will release him if they don't trade him. 
my logic?  i questioned if the raiders should send a 6th to the rams for him.  i applied no logic regarding djax.  the raiders need a wr.  he's available.  that's the extent of my logic.  and after to day, he'll probably be a FA.  so no draft pick wasted.

my logic?  i questioned if the raiders should send a 6th to the rams for him.  i applied no logic regarding djax.  the raiders need a wr.  he's available.  that's the extent of my logic.  and after to day, he'll probably be a FA.  so no draft pick wasted.
The logic of being cut (even thougj it was him asking) means that you don't consider him. 

I am not saying Brown is the answer. I am saying it makes sense. He knows the offense. He has speed. He is available for no draft picks. And we had a real good look at him for the whe off season. 

The logic of being cut (even thougj it was him asking) means that you don't consider him. 

I am not saying Brown is the answer. I am saying it makes sense. He knows the offense. He has speed. He is available for no draft picks. And we had a real good look at him for the whe off season. 
ah..i guess i hold more weight with djax actually making an NFL roster.  as opposed to being cut from 2 teams.  and after today, if released, djax will also not cost draft picks.

i'd rather see dj turner get the shot.  and get renfrow out of returning any kicks.  i hate that he does that.

I wonder if there's any kind of blowback / second hand impact that this occurred with a young athlete in the 2nd year of the team in Las Vegas.

This obviously could have happened in any city, but it didn't. 

Raiders just keep taking hits.

Person lost a life and a young man possibly facing life changing repercussions from making a stupid decision in a span of minutes. All it takes to ruin lives is a bad decision and a few minutes of time. Just feel bad for all involved.

As far as the Raiders go, perhaps they take a look at Golden Tate or Ashlon Jeffries. Not a big fan of Brown.

ah..i guess i hold more weight with djax actually making an NFL roster.  as opposed to being cut from 2 teams.  and after today, if released, djax will also not cost draft picks.

i'd rather see dj turner get the shot.  and get renfrow out of returning any kicks.  i hate that he does that.
What is Turner's 40?

Heartbreaking for EVERYONE 
The family of the deceased
Ruggs and his family
The entire Raiders organization
His friends and teammates 
and us ....the fans 

How much can this team endure and keep bouncing back...they are being tested for sure

If they come out of this season winning it will be even MORE impressive all things considered

God bless  

you're not going to get a player to match rugg's speed.  they need a wr THIS sunday.  he flashed some promise in the preseason.  someone off the PS is getting called up.

but since you asked, 4.55ish
Yea, you aren't going to get Rugg's speed... that is NFL best type speed, top 3 easily. 

But if we are not looking for some speed to add in then plug Zay in and go. 

Not sure when the acceptable time is to move the conversation from tragedy to football is.  I guess, both conversations can exist in the same space.   In this case, the conversations are tied together as one triggers the other. 

It's Tuesday early evening, and the Raiders haven't made a corresponding move to bring in a WR.  I think because of the covid rules, it would be unlikely that any WR added from this point of the week would be available for Sunday. 

The Raiders are carrying 3 WRs on their PS:
Dillion Stoner (rookie)
DJ Turner (rookie)
Javon Wims (4th year)

Simply put, as already stated, there isn't a 1:1 replacement for Ruggs on the field.  So their will need to be adjustments made:
I think we will see an increase in Zay Jones usage.  Both in routes run and targets. Carr trusts him and that is clearly important.  I imagine Moreau will have increased usage as well, whether in replacement of Waller (I'm unclear on his status), or inline with Waller in more 2 TE sets. 

Coach B and the Raiders have put up with a lot of unique challenges in a very short period of time.  It's one thing for fans to be upset with the events that led to both of these scenarios, but the players and coaches on the team have been around Gruden and Ruggs for an extend period of time day in and day out.  I can only imagine the emotions they are facing in this moment as they deal with their friend and teammate being the cause of such a terrible event.  

Yea, you aren't going to get Rugg's speed... that is NFL best type speed, top 3 easily. 

But if we are not looking for some speed to add in then plug Zay in and go. 
I think this is the best bet right now. The organization was just gut-punched again. They didn't trade for anyone probably not to disrupt the locker room chemistry. Then this happens, I'm sick to my stomach, I can only imagine everyone on the team, from Davis to the players is just shell-shocked right now. Honestly, how do they even practice and stay focused when a life was just lost and a team member and brother's life is now in turmoil. 

Not sure when the acceptable time is to move the conversation from tragedy to football is.  I guess, both conversations can exist in the same space.   In this case, the conversations are tied together as one triggers the other. 

It's Tuesday early evening, and the Raiders haven't made a corresponding move to bring in a WR.  I think because of the covid rules, it would be unlikely that any WR added from this point of the week would be available for Sunday. 

The Raiders are carrying 3 WRs on their PS:
Dillion Stoner (rookie)
DJ Turner (rookie)
Javon Wims (4th year)

Simply put, as already stated, there isn't a 1:1 replacement for Ruggs on the field.  So their will need to be adjustments made:
I think we will see an increase in Zay Jones usage.  Both in routes run and targets. Carr trusts him and that is clearly important.  I imagine Moreau will have increased usage as well, whether in replacement of Waller (I'm unclear on his status), or inline with Waller in more 2 TE sets. 

Coach B and the Raiders have put up with a lot of unique challenges in a very short period of time.  It's one thing for fans to be upset with the events that led to both of these scenarios, but the players and coaches on the team have been around Gruden and Ruggs for an extend period of time day in and day out.  I can only imagine the emotions they are facing in this moment as they deal with their friend and teammate being the cause of such a terrible event.  

If Bisaccia keeps this train on track when by all rights it could/should jump... take the intern title and throw it in the trash and give him a nice raise. The dude has a job in front of him. 

Sad to hear, and I don't want to get into anything more than the FF part of this.  What about Edwards?  He's out there but carr never seems to find him until late in games.  Does he get more targets?  Or will it all funnel to the same position that Ruggs held?

sweet baby jeebus.  nathan peterman released.  still paying him his million, but he gone!  javin white also released.  odd to bring him back to the 53 and then release him

Sad to hear, and I don't want to get into anything more than the FF part of this.  What about Edwards?  He's out there but carr never seems to find him until late in games.  Does he get more targets?  Or will it all funnel to the same position that Ruggs held?
I don't think this means any particular player will benefit. Carr is one of those few QB's that spread the ball to who is open. Just like when Waller was out last game. Obviously Moreau had a bump up but other than there was no specific "this guy" will see more targets. I would say Jones gets the biggest move up as he will see a significant increase in snaps. Other than that, a small bump to everyone else. For the short term, Zay is the only player to think about making a move on or against with this news.

Users who are viewing this thread