What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Music Thread - Spoon, The War on Drugs, Parquet Courts (1 Viewer)

Great suggestions in here! Have to check out new Parquet Courts. Been kind of out of the music loop this year. Haven’t listened to much, but Iceage’s Shelter Song and Back to the Middle on the new Modest Mouse album are definitely favs so far.

ericttspikes said:
Great suggestions in here! Have to check out new Parquet Courts. Been kind of out of the music loop this year. Haven’t listened to much, but Iceage’s Shelter Song and Back to the Middle on the new Modest Mouse album are definitely favs so far.
Modest Mouse was definitely a very good album by them, one of my favourites of the year. And I obviously agree about Manchester Orchestra mentioned above too. 

I would like to nominate Phoenix by Big Red Machine featuring Fleet Foxes as earworm of the year. Heavily inspired by The Band, so so good. 

Juxtatarot said:
New The War on Drugs album released today too. 
I'm a big fan of TWoD's previous 5 albums.  Each of them have been in my top 20 of the release year, one at #1.

But, after 1 listen, I don't like this one.  I'm surprised at the unanimous acclaim for it so far. 

I'll give it another listen or two but I don't have high hopes. 

I'm a big fan of TWoD's previous 5 albums.  Each of them have been in my top 20 of the release year, one at #1.

But, after 1 listen, I don't like this one.  I'm surprised at the unanimous acclaim for it so far. 

I'll give it another listen or two but I don't have high hopes. 
Im not as big a fan (loved the album a couple years ago), but the song from this that popped up my RR was a snoozer.

RR kinda interesting this week...

Radiohead (finally released old song, Follow Me Around- nice, simple tune)

IDLES

Amasson (they've become a bit 70s style ez listening and doesn't always work...like a slowed down Carpenters...but I love her voice)

Elbow

Foals (I'm expecting something overblown)

Alt-J

shame

Horrors

Young Guv

Nation of Language (should have a new album out)

Lewsberg (I love these guys- Dutch?- like a mashup of Feelies with Krautrock. they take a riff and ride it to it's bitter end. very minimal, with sometimes robotic-style talky voice. definitely not for everybody, but again- I love it. BUT...the most recent single was minimal, but without the production quality...something felt not good about it- and it's a fine line with this genre)

Dead Can Dance (this has been on my feed a bit lately- I think it's a newly released live album.. I"ll have to listen to the whole thing)

Dinosaur Jr (another live album- everything I"ve heard sounds great)

Alabama Shakes

El Floppo said:
Foals (I'm expecting something overblown)
Funky/Groovy/Disco influenced almost. As happy/upbeat as they've been in some time. 

Edit - it's cut from the same Talking Heads cloth as the new Parquet Courts

Last edited by a moderator:
El Floppo said:
Dinosaur Jr (another live album- everything I"ve heard sounds great)
Thanks for this. Didn't know it was out. This has to be their best live album. Great set and they sound amazing. The original 3 impossibly still going strong all these years later. J. still shredin. Lou's sounding great, his new tune Garden is one of his best. They still play small clubs and you can see them for $35. Dino Jr. is a g-d national treasure.

you're right- really good.

they've somehow just nailed the synth sound (I'm talking the actual synth sounds, not the "sound") from the early 80s- so much, I can smell the smoke machines of the clubs from back then.
These guys did a cover of Gouge Away last year that's very good

These guys did a cover of Gouge Away last year that's very good
I only know them through their singles the last year or two- I thought I playlisted this one, but appears not. not even sure if there's a previous album or not...

there have been SO many good-to-great covers during covid- I've been meaning to make a covid covers playlist.

I have a couple of Spotify playlists to post here.   I hope that's ok.  I have a ton, so I'll drop a link to my playlist dump spreadsheet, but I'll post direct links to the two that I update the most.

Alt Nation Current Alternative Rock - this is my most popular playlist.  As the title mentions, it's a current alternative playlist.  Although I list it as Alt Nation, I also add songs from other alternative and indie sources other than Alt Nation.  I may be giving it a name change soon to avoid any potential trademark issues with the name.

Destination: Alternative Music Mix - this is my newest playlist, so the follower count is much lower.  I keep the song count to 100, but it includes some current alternative songs from the Alt Radio Top 20 and SiriusXM Alt Nation's Alt18 - then mixes those with 90s, 2000s alt-rock and indie-rock.   I rotate most of the songs every week, so this one changes every update.  

Spotify Playlist Dump - I have several genres of playlists in my whole collection and I've put together monthly countdowns that are based on weekly Billboard Top 40 lists.  Take a look, you might find something you like.

So I've taken a look at playlists from @Northern Voice and @Eephus (and whoever else's taste has historically lined up with mine, e.g. @**** Vermeil Fan I think?, but don't have playlists for), I noticed I had a few songs from 2021 that I think very highly of, but you may have missed.  

We Cannot Resist - LUMP, Laura Marling, Mike Lindsay (speak to me sacredly on the subject of profanity)

Nudge It - Sleaford Mods (I do it for the pleasure, the money and the fame)

Anything Could Happen - Dylan Cartlidge (Sweet old hardship never fails to come and call)

A Little Dancing - Acid House Kings (There's a time to stop following fools)

Jazz on the Autobahn - The Felice Brothers (this is what the apocalypse sounds like)

Let me know what I may have missed on mine 2021 - Hang on as tight as you can

I have a couple of Spotify playlists to post here.   I hope that's ok.  I have a ton, so I'll drop a link to my playlist dump spreadsheet, but I'll post direct links to the two that I update the most.

Alt Nation Current Alternative Rock - this is my most popular playlist.  As the title mentions, it's a current alternative playlist.  Although I list it as Alt Nation, I also add songs from other alternative and indie sources other than Alt Nation.  I may be giving it a name change soon to avoid any potential trademark issues with the name.

Destination: Alternative Music Mix - this is my newest playlist, so the follower count is much lower.  I keep the song count to 100, but it includes some current alternative songs from the Alt Radio Top 20 and SiriusXM Alt Nation's Alt18 - then mixes those with 90s, 2000s alt-rock and indie-rock.   I rotate most of the songs every week, so this one changes every update.  

Spotify Playlist Dump - I have several genres of playlists in my whole collection and I've put together monthly countdowns that are based on weekly Billboard Top 40 lists.  Take a look, you might find something you like.

kupcho1 said:
So I've taken a look at playlists from @Northern Voice and @Eephus (and whoever else's taste has historically lined up with mine, e.g. @**** Vermeil Fan I think?, but don't have playlists for), I noticed I had a few songs from 2021 that I think very highly of, but you may have missed.  

We Cannot Resist - LUMP, Laura Marling, Mike Lindsay (speak to me sacredly on the subject of profanity)

Nudge It - Sleaford Mods (I do it for the pleasure, the money and the fame)

Anything Could Happen - Dylan Cartlidge (Sweet old hardship never fails to come and call)

A Little Dancing - Acid House Kings (There's a time to stop following fools)

Jazz on the Autobahn - The Felice Brothers (this is what the apocalypse sounds like)

Let me know what I may have missed on mine 2021 - Hang on as tight as you can
Looking forward to diving in to these....thanks!

New album by a group called Geese is interesting. A bunch of recent high school graduate prodigies do post-punk. Their single, "Disco," sounds like mixture of Hockey Night/warped punk disco with Pavement overtones. Pretty good effort. The album is also good. 

It's actually better than good. It's very good. 

New album by a group called Geese is interesting. A bunch of recent high school graduate prodigies do post-punk. Their single, "Disco," sounds like mixture of Hockey Night/warped punk disco with Pavement overtones. Pretty good effort. The album is also good. 

It's actually better than good. It's very good. 
I've been listening to this one a lot.  Big fan. 

Low Era and Rain Dance are other favorites from the album.

I've been listening to this one a lot.  Big fan. 

Low Era and Rain Dance are other favorites from the album.
The only thing that stops me a bit is how is an eighteen year-old going to show me anything about a wearied existence? That puts a demand on precociousness that I’m not sure anyone can deliver me at that age. If that sentiment is ageism in reverse, then make the most of the exuberance of youth! 

Let's just do both at the same time. Two seperate polls and Countdowns. One deadline.

Then we're all caught up except I'm not sure we did 2019 either. 
Fightin' for my freedom/ain't no more askin...

Spillage Village gets one of my votes from 2020. 

'Sup, NV?  

from my RR...

Sleaford Mods covering Yaz might be the most bizarre thing I've heard in a while. not saying I don't like it... just trying to wrap my head around it.

from last week's RR...

King Gizzard etc is always experimenting, which I love. This week, I have a scientist-dub (not sure if it's mad scientist of dub fame) version of one of their tunes.. which works way better than I'd ever expect. 

squistion said:
The Tibbs - Another Shot Fired

A Dutch band from Amsterdam that blends Soul, RnB, Funk, Jazz, Pop and Ska elements using a 60's Motown or Stax Records arrangement and production feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HGGzMv2AFg
Very much a nod to two-tone in the video. The opening frame of the album cover looks like the two-tone rude boy, only female. The braces and white shirt on the lead singer. A fedora (or porkpie? what do they call that style hat?) on the love interest. Lots of two-tone touches. Very ska. 

Very much a nod to two-tone in the video. The opening frame of the album cover looks like the two-tone rude boy, only female. The braces and white shirt on the lead singer. A fedora (or porkpie? what do they call that style hat?) on the love interest. Lots of two-tone touches. Very ska. 

That explains why I have seen them referred to as "garage soul" which kind of puzzled me. 

Users who are viewing this thread