What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Music Thread - Spoon, The War on Drugs, Parquet Courts (2 Viewers)

So I'm primarily focused on hip hop  but love good alternative rock/pop.  What recent releases do you lads think I should check?  I love artists like Radiohead, Tame Impala, Black Keys, Walkmen/Hamilton L., Arcade Fire, UNKLE, Cage The Elephant, Mike Snow, Broken Bells, etc
Sault

Joywave

Japanese Breakfast

hanni el khatib

Tunng

sofa surfers

ron gallo

ramona falls

alaskalaska

foreign air

Blunt Bangs from Athens, GA plays a enjoyable brand of noisy Power Pop with lots of fuzzy guitar. 

The singer used to be in Black Kids who had a minor hit with "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance with You" a long time ago.

Bob Mould was awesome Saturday night in DC. I saw Front 242 last night in Tampa. It’s funny to see the aged goths and punks, but the band still puts on a great show. Tonight is Squeeze (opening for Hall and Oates) in Tampa as well. Looking forward to it. My next show after tonight is in a couple weeks in West Palm Beach. I’m going to see Ocean Blue. It’s their only stop in FL.

Bob Mould was awesome Saturday night in DC. I saw Front 242 last night in Tampa. It’s funny to see the aged goths and punks, but the band still puts on a great show. Tonight is Squeeze (opening for Hall and Oates) in Tampa as well. Looking forward to it. My next show after tonight is in a couple weeks in West Palm Beach. I’m going to see Ocean Blue. It’s their only stop in FL.
Love to hear it, O. Report back from the Squeeze/H and O show, if you so desire. Like to hear about it. Especially the Hall and Oates portion of the deal.

I don't even know who Ocean Blue is.

Love to hear it, O. Report back from the Squeeze/H and O show, if you so desire. Like to hear about it. Especially the Hall and Oates portion of the deal.

I don't even know who Ocean Blue is.
Will do. I saw Squeeze headline a couple of years ago in Milwaukee. They are superb live. Mrs. O is the Hall and Oates fan. Should be hot and humid af tonight, but it’s Florida. 

Americana Fest annual awards tonight. Winners:

ALBUM OF THE YEAR

“CUTTIN' GRASS - VOL. 1 (BUTCHER SHOPPE SESSIONS)" 

Sturgill Simpson, Produced by David Ferguson & Sturgill Simpson 

ARTIST OF THE YEAR

BRANDI CARLILE 

DUO/GROUP OF THE YEAR

BLACK PUMAS 

EMERGING ACT OF THE YEAR

CHARLEY CROCKETT 

INSTRUMENTALIST OF THE YEAR

MEGAN COLEMAN 

SONG OF THE YEAR

"BLACK MYSELF" 

Amythyst Kiah, Written by Amythyst Kiah

Ducks Ltd. - Modern Fiction - Strokes adjacent jangle pop with a sad streak throughout. RIYL: Girls (the late 00s band, not the female of the species), early R.E.M, some other 80s UK band that I can't place right now.

@The Dreaded Marco something about this makes me think you'd like it.
I like all those RIYL's so I'll give it a listen. Thanks!

The name is familiar--did they have another album in the past few years?

I'm a huge fan of Strand of Oaks and his modern take on Classic Rock. The new album In Heaven has an expansive sound with more reverb and synths that highlights the anthemic qualities of Tim's material.  I love it but I'm the band's biggest honk on here so take that for what it's worth.

I'm bummed he just cancelled his tour because I would have loved to hear the new songs live.

Easter

Carbon

Last edited by a moderator:
Listened to the first two Strand of Oaks tracks while reading this interesting, if way-too-heady piece about Turnstile that's kind of actually cool to read. Nice to see the WaPo supporting the locals.

Ducks Ltd. - Modern Fiction - Strokes adjacent jangle pop with a sad streak throughout. RIYL: Girls (the late 00s band, not the female of the species), early R.E.M, some other 80s UK band that I can't place right now.

@The Dreaded Marco something about this makes me think you'd like it.

This has a Dunedin sound to it for me.  The New Zealand home of Flying Nun, not the town where the Blue Jays called home for a half season.

Speaking of jangling, 80s-90s college rockers The Connells released their first album in twenty years. They were unfairly compared to R.E.M. in their early days but always could deliver a catchy chorus, often with deceptively downbeat lyrics.  The band's lineup is pretty much unchanged which is always a plus.

Dean Wareham of Galaxie 500 and Luna has a new solo album out.  If you like those bands you'll probably like it.

I really liked Holland Park by the UK band Spearmint. They've been around since the 90s so they're old enough to put out a record that's this wistful.  It's sort of a concept album about a Prog Rock band that the singer's father belonged to in the 70s.  The album's centerpiece is a 12 minute story of the band and the other tracks fit it loosely around that.  They remind me a little of Prefab Sprout who I love to an irrational degree. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has the new Laura Jane Grace EP been discussed?  I missed it if so, I also missed the record until recently...I am really digging it. 

I saw turnstile being talked about in here and was like whoa. Then I realize it’s just jaysus and rock action and it all makes sense. 
great album
AcerFC! These guys break it down in the weirdest, coolest way. 

Eephus is in on the gig, too. Recommended it to me. I'd only heard their older stuff back in '16 or so and had forgotten about them, really. This was one of his picks to click. 

I apologize in advance if this song has already been mentioned in this thread—but the song Seaside by SEB has quickly become an ear worm for me.  Great laid back and chill vibe. One of those songs you can just put on a loop for several listens in a row.  In brutal honesty—the video is kinda lame imo. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yRo4oF1JZqo

A couple more good albums I've been playing a lot lately:

Bad Bad Hats - Walkman..........in hopes of returning the favor, this is one that I think @Northern Voice may enjoy.  I was visiting my daughter on family weekend in MN a while back.  She has a radio show on her college station and played this Minneapolis band.  It caught my ear. They supported the Beths on their FMHM tour.  

Trace Mountains - House of Confusion.........their album from 2020 was one of my favorites and this one is as good or better. 

Users who are viewing this thread