What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Mavs - Boston it is (12 Viewers)

II am aware of the history with Denver and I am aware of the narrative. I would have to see the full list of games he has missed over the last 4 years to feel more strongly about it. He has a lot of injuries just in general, so I still don’t think that it can be concluded that he is ducking, he is perfectly capable of just sulking around the court when better teams are beating him.
You can go look at his game logs on Basketball Reference as easy as I can. Go take a peek. He's not missing a chance to play the Pistons, Spurs, and their ilk on the road.
I have reviewed all of the logs and will be preparing a summary later. Everyone has been warned.
I actually forgot that the bb-ref game logs show all the team games, not just the one the play played in.

So, this is Embiid's 7th full season in the league. During that time, the Sixers have played 517 games. Embiid has missed 121 of them.

I categorized those 121 games by whether they were single games, 1 of a 2-game absence, the last game of an absence of 3 games or more, or the start or a middle of a 3-game absence or more. I deemed the first 3 categories to be potential "duck" games, which I think is generous. (Full transparency: There were 2 games that technically fit in cagtegory 3, but they were the last game of an extended west-coast trip, so I didn't think that they counted. I am also considering a 2017 game @ Denver to be a "duck" game even though Denver wasn't really a championship contender that year, since games in Denver are the main root of this narrative.)

59 of the 121 games missed could be considered "duck" games. Of those 59, there were 25 that I consider to be against a "good" team, which I count as either a clear home-court advantage playoff team or a clear lower-end playoff team. Those games break down as follows:

Top Contender (Away) - 13
Top Contender (Home) - 6
Solid Playoff Team (Away) - 5
Solid Playoff Team (Home) - 1

So 13-18 games in 7 years would fit into the conventional "ducking" narrative. That includes 3 games in Denver, 2 games in Memphis and 2 in Utah (also 1 in PHI vs. DEN and 2 vs. MEM). Those are the most disproportionately represented game conditions.

I would have to do the same thing with other top stars to determine whether this is really such an outlier, but on the surface, it is not obvious to me that it is. I still maintain that it feels like a bigger thing because of the high-profile games missed against Denver and the fact that Embiid is injured a lot.

I also agree with these points:

-It is totally bizarre that Embiid was not even listed on the injury report at all and then suddenly was listed as out.

-That the fact that Maxey and Harris (and others) were out led to an organizational decision to sit Embiid, who did have a legitimate injury that he re-aggravated in the Pacers' game that I saw as it happened.

-That when there is a choice in his overall health management, the Sixers' organization as a whole favors having him sit out games that they have a better than 50% chance to lose even if he plays.

Happy to share the data so that anyone can have their own forensic data teams conduct a full audit...

@aidanlaporta69
Embiid hasn’t played in Denver since 2019!!!!!”. Well, let’s go through that

2020- Sixers never played in Denver

2021-played the Nuggets in Denver on March 30th, but Embiid was hurt on March 12th against the Wizards, and did not return until April 3rd

2021 (continued)- played the Nuggets on November 18th, but Embiid was out with COVID from November 8th, and did not return until November 27th against Minnesota.

2022- Sixers never played in Denver

2023- Sixers played the Nuggets in Denver March 27th. Embiid was injured the game before against the Suns, and was playing 3 games in 4 days.

2024- Embiid missed game due to knee injury that likely happened against Indiana

All Star Reserves (let's hear the whining):

EAST: Bam, Banchero, Jaylen Brown, Jalen Brunson, Maxey, Donovan Mitchell, Julius Randle

WEST: Ant, KAT, Booker, Curry, AD, Kawhi, PG

If the Lakers really tear it down, and they should, can you imagine AD on the Thunder? (please god no)

They have enough picks, and with Bertans contract ($17m) they're already halfway to AD ($40m). Give the Lakers their choice of their young, but non-essential, guys to get enough salary and wa la. Juggernaut.

Jamal Murray gets screwed yet again. Such is life for a quintessential team player.

No way on this planet that KAT/Ant is a better duo than Joker/Murray.
KAT is a nonsense pick but there were other players more deserving than Murray.
6th place Suns = 2 players
9th place Lakers = 2 players
Timberwolves = 2 players
Clippers = 2 players

World Champion Nuggets = 1 player, two years in a row

That is just stupid

Lakers smashing the Celts in Boston without Lebron or AD playing

what sizzling hot takes can we expect to burn up the internet tonight and tomorrow?

If the Lakers really tear it down, and they should, can you imagine AD on the Thunder? (please god no)

They have enough picks, and with Bertans contract ($17m) they're already halfway to AD ($40m). Give the Lakers their choice of their young, but non-essential, guys to get enough salary and wa la. Juggernaut.
Ok, let’s blow this up. [big bong rip; fires up trade machine]

Trade 1
OKC gets - AD, Vincent
Lakers get - CP3, Giddy, Poku, lots ‘o picks
Warriors get - Bertans, Dort

Trade 2
NYK gets - LeBron
Lakers get - Randle, Fournier, lots ‘o picks

Waive/buyout CP3 and Fournier

If the rumors about trading Lebron are true, then I can't wait to see the Heat fan proposals and the excuses that the Lakers have to trade Lebron for Herro and Heat culture because the weather is so nice.

Totally missed the game, so was it just lazy defense, turnovers and poor shooting on a high volume?
Celtics seemed mostly disinterested and never really got it together. Lakers kept making clutch shots. 19 for 36 on threes. 26 free throws to 7 for the C’s. Boston had around 10 turnovers in the first quarter and never recovered. Boston didn’t really shoot that well. Every time the Celtics went on a run and closed the gap, the Lakers answered and pushed the lead back up. Just one of those nights. Lakers played hard and a lot of guys chipped in with LBJ and AD out.

Trade 1
OKC gets - AD, Vincent

Trade 2
NYK gets - LeBron

I haven't gotten to see the Thunder this year. Is Giddy still good and over his legal stuff?

Trade 1
OKC gets - AD, Vincent

Trade 2
NYK gets - LeBron

I haven't gotten to see the Thunder this year. Is Giddy still good and over his legal stuff?
Legal, yes, but the NBA is now investigating. I would say it is pretty ****ing obvious he was with an underage girl as none of the family would speak to the cops. He's a creep.

Totally missed the game, so was it just lazy defense, turnovers and poor shooting on a high volume?
Celtics seemed mostly disinterested and never really got it together. Lakers kept making clutch shots. 19 for 36 on threes. 26 free throws to 7 for the C’s. Boston had around 10 turnovers in the first quarter and never recovered. Boston didn’t really shoot that well. Every time the Celtics went on a run and closed the gap, the Lakers answered and pushed the lead back up. Just one of those nights. Lakers played hard and a lot of guys chipped in with LBJ and AD out.
It was an odd game overall.

The Lakers shot the lights out from 3 (52.8%) and yet were almost incompetent shooting inside the 3 (32.7%).

Russell also had probably one of the greatest games you will ever see for a player that bricklayed his way to a 5 for 20 shooting night.

For Boston, as good as they are it is concerning that they only have one way to win. This game was ripe to put Porzingis down low and get easy basket after basket with LA's extremely small line up and yet they just did what they always do and tried to shoot from deep, constantly.

Trade 1
OKC gets - AD, Vincent

Trade 2
NYK gets - LeBron

I don't know about AD for OKC. There is a very fair chance he is going to be the worst contract in the league in a couple years - he's set to make $200m from 25-26 to 27-28, right as the rest of the team gets expensive. And while obviously he would help solve their rebounding woes and be a big boost on defense, he would hamstring their offense and the spacing pretty bad. He would be a net positive this year, but not as much as he should be for how much they'll be paying long term.

If they are going to have to toss all their chips in on a big next to Chet, I would rather spend those assets on somebody like Markkanen.

I like the Rockets trade for Steven Adams. Sengun needs some help and a bruiser like Adams would pair nicely. I think he'll be a great influence on a young team.

Supposedly they're also going after Mikal Bridges but Brooklyn isn't budging for a combo of 1sts and/or Jalen Green.

The Lakers shot the lights out from 3 (52.8%) and yet were almost incompetent shooting inside the 3 (32.7%).

Russell also had probably one of the greatest games you will ever see for a player that bricklayed his way to a 5 for 20 shooting night.

For Boston, as good as they are it is concerning that they only have one way to win. This game was ripe to put Porzingis down low and get easy basket after basket with LA's extremely small line up and yet they just did what they always do and tried to shoot from deep, constantly.
As you said, it was an odd game all around. The Lakers did a good job disrupting Boston's offense, and a lot of possessions ended with whoever had the ball heaving a last second shot with a second left on the shot clock. Because of that, Boston tried to go at an accelerated transition pace . . . which let to bad passes, turnovers, or missed layups. In turn, that led to fast breaks for the Lakers, and the Celtics couldn't get out of their own way.

The only Celtics making threes were Tatum and Hauser. When they tried to go inside, they didn't get easy looks and opted to kick the ball out for more open threes and didn't make them. But in general, way too many times when the Lakers got down the court before the Celtics did and got easy baskets. The Lakers really struggled on contested two-point shots . . . but they had stretches where they got multiple offense rebounds and second chance points.

I tend to agree with the commentary that Boston played very soft. They didn't seem interested in putting bodies on people and scrapping for the ball. They played like they expected to play a really good five minutes on defense with a barrage of made threes to take control of the game, and that didn't happen. I think the mindset was that without LBJ and AD, the game would be a cakewalk.

I like the Rockets trade for Steven Adams. Sengun needs some help and a bruiser like Adams would pair nicely. I think he'll be a great influence on a young team.

Supposedly they're also going after Mikal Bridges but Brooklyn isn't budging for a combo of 1sts and/or Jalen Green.
Adams is a decent piece, but he won't help this year. He's only signed through next year, so not sure what the plan moving forward would be.

One of AD or Lebron going to be the first player to win the in-season tournament and finals? Would assume Lebron has a no trade clause or something though.

i just like steve adams that guy is a pirate brohan who no one will mess with so he is the enforcer and if anyone tried to like rob a hotdog vendor and steve adams was around that robber would be grass and steve adams would be a 25 hp lawnmower with a 0 turn radius and that my friend is a fricken sweet lawnmower take that to the bank brochachos

Trade 1
OKC gets - AD, Vincent

Trade 2
NYK gets - LeBron

I don't know about AD for OKC. There is a very fair chance he is going to be the worst contract in the league in a couple years - he's set to make $200m from 25-26 to 27-28, right as the rest of the team gets expensive. And while obviously he would help solve their rebounding woes and be a big boost on defense, he would hamstring their offense and the spacing pretty bad. He would be a net positive this year, but not as much as he should be for how much they'll be paying long term.

If they are going to have to toss all their chips in on a big next to Chet, I would rather spend those assets on somebody like Markkanen.
If Markkanen isn't available and Davis wouldn't throw a fit about playing in OKC, I'd try to find a way to make the money work. These title windows never end up being as long, even for young teams, as people think. That defense would be amazing with him and Chet.

Trade 1
OKC gets - AD, Vincent

Trade 2
NYK gets - LeBron

Legal, yes, but the NBA is now investigating. I would say it is pretty ****ing obvious he was with an underage girl as none of the family would speak to the cops. He's a creep.

Given what was going on why would the family talk to the police? I have no clue if he's a creep or not - I imagine there's a decent chance he is - and I haven't read too much about this but everything I did read didn't seem to be persuasive that he knew she was underage and that's apparently what the police think. Is there something more that's come out?

And just to be crystal clear, I'm not defending him at all - but I will defend anybody who doesn't talk to the police. Unfortunately, as our buddy Woz will attest to, the police aren't your friends and no one should talk to them.

Trade 1
OKC gets - AD, Vincent

Trade 2
NYK gets - LeBron

Given what was going on why would the family talk to the police? I have no clue if he's a creep or not - I imagine there's a decent chance he is - and I haven't read too much about this but everything I did read didn't seem to be persuasive that he knew she was underage and that's apparently what the police think. Is there something more that's come out?

And just to be crystal clear, I'm not defending him at all - but I will defend anybody who doesn't talk to the police. Unfortunately, as our buddy Woz will attest to, the police aren't your friends and no one should talk to them.

Absolutely not without a lawyer present. Ever.

Adams is a decent piece, but he won't help this year. He's only signed through next year, so not sure what the plan moving forward would be.

Obviously Adams won't contribute on the court this year but there's other intangibles he brings in the locker room that should help Sengun get tougher mentally. Olajuwon has been a tremendous help grooming the budding superstar but I think a physical center like Adams will only help. Pretty sure the plan is to extend him for a few years after 2025.

Trade 1
OKC gets - AD, Vincent

Trade 2
NYK gets - LeBron

If Markkanen isn't available and Davis wouldn't throw a fit about playing in OKC, I'd try to find a way to make the money work. These title windows never end up being as long, even for young teams, as people think. That defense would be amazing with him and Chet.

The NBA is different though. Rarely does a team just come up and win it their first really good year. You have to be battle tested in the playoffs, especially as a young team. So take this year and maybe next for the Thunder to learn and then AD is a net negative and he ruins any cap flexibility they have.

but there's other intangibles he brings in the locker room that should help Sengun get tougher mentally.
Oh come on
Sengun is a sweet kid. He needs some of that dog in him. Brooks and Udoka have helped but I think Adams will a key piece in their championship run circa 26/27.

So a 34 year old Adams will be a key piece to a championship run in 26/27, when 25 year old Steven Adams wasn't a key piece to a championship run? You didn't even make that post with a straight face.

I was very happy choosing this game for DK's threesday promo.

but there's other intangibles he brings in the locker room that should help Sengun get tougher mentally.
Oh come on
Sengun is a sweet kid. He needs some of that dog in him. Brooks and Udoka have helped but I think Adams will a key piece in their championship run circa 26/27.

So a 34 year old Adams will be a key piece to a championship run in 26/27, when 25 year old Steven Adams wasn't a key piece to a championship run? You didn't even make that post with a straight face.

Never underestimate the heart of a Kiwi

Coolest part of the story:

After each of Jordan's six titles and Finals MVPs, he was photographed with only one shoe on; Jordan had granted Bulls PR executive Tim Hallam his wish of having one of MJ's shoes if they won that first championship. Jordan, ever superstitious, honored what became a tradition five more times.

Trade 1
OKC gets - AD, Vincent

Trade 2
NYK gets - LeBron

Absolutely not without a lawyer present. Ever.

Yep - and honestly I didn’t have this opinion until watching that YouTube video somebody posted here with the lawyer who gave the presentation saying never talk to a lawyer - it was fascinating and eye opening.

Users who are viewing this thread