What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Mavs - Boston it is (40 Viewers)

And Pat Bev is what the Bucks needed and you know the Celtics will develop Springer and he will be a menace on D at the very least in the playoffs as needed. So two rivals get a nice assist from the Sixers. Ugh.
Springer won't play any meaningful minutes for Boston in the playoffs
This year.
Can’t believe how bent out of shape Sixer fans are about losing a third year player who hasn’t even surpassed the 500 career minute mark yet.

Remember when the 76ers were trying to trade Simmons and the fans wanted a star plus in return because Simmons might learn to shoot for another team and be really good.

That type of thinking is coded in their DNA.

Is PJ Washington good? I'm not sure I see it. Seems more like a good (actually not that good) stats, bad team kind of guy.

He isn't. Dallas fans are celebrating the name that had a decent season 4 years ago.
Meh. It's not about being "good" so much as being WAY better than Grant Williams. Much more excited about Gafford and the ability to string together 48 mins of at least league average center play now.

Also hard to know if a guy is good stats bad team if he's just a role player and his teams have always been garbage. Not the same as, say, Trae Young.
It's also tough to tell with PJ because he is so streaky on offense. I think he will thrive in more of a catch and shoot role

Wow Philly is just totally cooked without Embiid. Absolutely non-competitive against this terrible Hawks team.

Last edited:
Wow Philly is just totally cooked without Embiid. Absolutely non-competitive against this terrible Hawks team.
Lost by 6 with Embiid, Maxey, Batum, Melton, and Covington out, plus 3 open roster spots.
Not that the Hawks injury situation tonight was as bad as Philly’s—but they were without Dejounte and Clint Capella themselves. Hard to extract much out of a game when both teams are missing significant players.

Lost by 6 with Embiid, Maxey, Batum, Melton, and Covington out, plus 3 open roster spots.
They were down 25 when I wrote that, but I did not know Maxey was out.

They also lost to crappy Brooklyn, Dallas and Golden State with Maxey in the last week so I wouldn’t say things are rosy.

They also lost to crappy Brooklyn, Dallas and Golden State with Maxey in the last week so I wouldn’t say things are rosy.

I don’t think anyone expects anything out of this team without Embiid. Hopefully they don’t fall out if the top 6.

well pat bev looked sort of ok tonight for the bangos take that to the bank brohans
He’s a decent pickup for the Bucks. I’m out here in So Cal—and I can tell you that Doc seems to really respect Pat’s game and approach. When he was coaching the Clippers— Doc would mention the importance of Pat’s importance to the team a lot in local interviews. The Bucks lost some depth and some defensive intensity when they lost Jrue. While I think that Pat’s actual defensive ability has dropped off a bit with his age—I do think that he still does have a defensive mindset that could be helpful to the Bucks.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC

To be slightly fair, batum, melton and covington missed all of those games Tobias missed one, so I think they will be slightly better if everyone gets healthy and with hield. But like Leeroy said, they will be lucky if they can get a top 6 seed at this point.

It’s kind of always been this way when Embiid is out. All of their other players are kind of like a 2-, 3-, 4-, etc. that Embiid makes into a 2, 3, 4 etc. So when they move up a slot in their role it’s even more of a drop off than some other teams might be. The definition of MVP is still kind nebulous, but Embiid is almost certainly the most indispensable player in the nba.

PJ Washington on a decent team for the first time ever looks like it will be a revelation. Holy cow is he a swiss army knife.

Made three.
Drove to basket, passed out, repositioned, dunk
Drove basket to score
Drove, pullup/floater score
Post up score
post up turnaround jumper score

Every single dribble he's taken today looks better than the best time Grant Williams ever put the ball on the floor. Every single pass he's made looks better than the best pass Grant Williams ever made. Every single defensive contest...guy has stayed with SGA a time or two...i'm salivating.

Doesn;t even account for the fact that Gafford + Washington mostly push Dwight Powell to the bench FINALLY.

Grant Williams +21 in his first game for the Hornets.
His first five games in Dallas included +2, +13, and +18.

I do hope he does well, but it's a bumpy ride and quickly went sour. Especially because it seems he's like the guy who won't shut up but hasn't earned the right to be the one speaking and thinks he should be. It's the same incredible attitude that probably made him an NBA player, and maybe drives him behind the scenes, but it's both stops now where teammates seemed like maybe they couldn't get him out fast enough.

Curry with a go ahead 3 with .7 left. Draymond deflects the desperation catch and shoot attempt and then taunts Durant.

I would have loved to seen a technical free throw awarded there, just because it is Draymond.

I do hope he does well, but it's a bumpy ride and quickly went sour. Especially because it seems he's like the guy who won't shut up but hasn't earned the right to be the one speaking and thinks he should be. It's the same incredible attitude that probably made him an NBA player, and maybe drives him behind the scenes, but it's both stops now where teammates seemed like maybe they couldn't get him out fast enough.
Hornets really haven't had any leadership to speak of in the squad for years so maybe that attitude will play better here? There was a viral clip of Brandon Miller last week scoring on one end, then getting all the way back to defend the rim and yelling at the rest of his team to "get the f back".

Anyways, I was just kidding. Only three players really matter on the Hornets roster and two cannot get healthy. It was nice to see a rotation not be filled with G-League players.

Feels like the Thunder really need a W today at home against the Kings but I am not confident, they’ve been very meh lately. It is a b2b but they shut it down early against the Mavs yesterday and that’s a 45 minute flight home so I’m not sure that will matter. I believe their schedule is kinda easy the rest of the way but they aren’t as far away from the play-in as I’d like. They need wins against the teams in that 5-8 range.

Hornets really haven't had any leadership to speak of in the squad for years so maybe that attitude will play better here? There was a viral clip of Brandon Miller last week scoring on one end, then getting all the way back to defend the rim and yelling at the rest of his team to "get the f back".

Anyways, I was just kidding. Only three players really matter on the Hornets roster and two cannot get healthy. It was nice to see a rotation not be filled with G-League players.
Brandon Miller looks sooooooooooooo good

Giddey is getting the Roberson treatment on offense and he’s not good enough at everything else to continue to start imo. No need to wait for Hayward; Joe or Wallace should start for him immediately. The Mavs barely looked at Giddey yesterday. He needs to run the second unit and be surrounded by shooting.

Feels like the Thunder really need a W today at home against the Kings but I am not confident, they’ve been very meh lately. It is a b2b but they shut it down early against the Mavs yesterday and that’s a 45 minute flight home so I’m not sure that will matter. I believe their schedule is kinda easy the rest of the way but they aren’t as far away from the play-in as I’d like. They need wins against the teams in that 5-8 range.
You should be more concerned about fighting for the 1 seed than falling into the play in, IMO.

Speaking of G-League players, it's really good to see GG Jackson get a real contract from the Grizzlies. Very raw but still 19, love that he's making an impact already.
Could turn out to be a real steal. Was a projected top 10 pick at one point coming out of HS and definitely has an nba body. We will see if he can truly develop, but was a great second round draft flier for the grizzlies.

Speaking of G-League players, it's really good to see GG Jackson get a real contract from the Grizzlies. Very raw but still 19, love that he's making an impact already.
Could turn out to be a real steal. Was a projected top 10 pick at one point coming out of HS and definitely has an nba body. We will see if he can truly develop, but was a great second round draft flier for the grizzlies.

Definitely an odd path. Went from being a top recruit to de-commiting from UNC. Looked really raw on a bad South Carolina team with a new coach and basically all transfers (only lost three games this year). He is a guy who can really get a bucket and is fortunate he ended up in a spot with so many injuries.

fun finish in Golden State

Polish kid with a terrific inbound pass to Curry for the gather and deep 3 with 2.8 left to go up 1

Indeed but also terrible defense by Beal. Not really sure what he was doing.
Said the same to my son in the moment. Beal gambled on the inbound, which gave Curry a wide open look.
I’m not sure any turnaround 30 foot three pointer with a couple seconds left on the clock should ever be classified as a wide open look.

fun finish in Golden State

Polish kid with a terrific inbound pass to Curry for the gather and deep 3 with 2.8 left to go up 1

Indeed but also terrible defense by Beal. Not really sure what he was doing.
Said the same to my son in the moment. Beal gambled on the inbound, which gave Curry a wide open look.
I’m not sure any turnaround 30 foot three pointer with a couple seconds left on the clock should ever be classified as a wide open look.
It shouldn’t be classified as easy - because it wasn’t.

But it was a clean look. And he was wide open. From a long distance.

Absolute garbage call at the end of the Knick game. How the hell do you call that a foul on Brunson? Terrible

I guess they didn't have a challenge available?

Looks like he jumps into him depending on the angle, but a foul there has to be pretty legit, IMO. You can tell by the shooter's reaction that he really didn't make contact with him.
The refs came out today and said the call was a mistake.

Updated championship probabilities from the geeky analytics sites . . . (only teams with a 5% chance listed):

Basketball Reference:
BOS 42.2%, OKC 15.5%, MIN 13.9%, CLE 7.0%, LAC 6.3%

ESPN BPI:
BOS 27.8%, LAC 14.9%, CLE 14.4%, MIL 12.8%, MIN 8.4%

Playoff Status:
BOS 31%, MIN 14%, OKC 10%, DEN 9%, CLE 8%, LAC 7%, MIL 5%

Power Rankings Guru:
BOS 38%, LAC 13%, CLE 9%, MIN 7%, OKC 7%, MIL 7%, DEN 6%

Not sure what "secret sauce" is used in their calculations. The results are more varied than I expected.

Gafford and Washington look great again. Luka and Gafford combine for 30 boards.
I'm seeing 28 boards. PJ Washington was 4-11 from the floor and 0-5 from three. And Dallas eked out a home win against lowly Washington.
Ok. My bad for rounding lmao.

They looked great. Like a team of basketball players. If you haven't been watching every game like some folks, and attending most home games, I get why just looking at a box score might mean less. When you watch the ball actually move, see guys cut, see defenses that don't just sit there because there's no threat elsewhere, see guys smiling and looking like it's actually enjoyable to be out there - it's a totally different team. It's two games, but both games looked night and day from pre-deadline, and we haven't even seen Lively back yet.

I'd say it's more likely than not this team climbs to the top 6 seeds.

Updated championship probabilities from the geeky analytics sites . . . (only teams with a 5% chance listed):

Basketball Reference:
BOS 42.2%, OKC 15.5%, MIN 13.9%, CLE 7.0%, LAC 6.3%

ESPN BPI:
BOS 27.8%, LAC 14.9%, CLE 14.4%, MIL 12.8%, MIN 8.4%

Playoff Status:
BOS 31%, MIN 14%, OKC 10%, DEN 9%, CLE 8%, LAC 7%, MIL 5%

Power Rankings Guru:
BOS 38%, LAC 13%, CLE 9%, MIN 7%, OKC 7%, MIL 7%, DEN 6%

Not sure what "secret sauce" is used in their calculations. The results are more varied than I expected.
Any formula that doesn't have Denver above 5% seems flawed. I get Boston is the current favorite, but their % seems too high as well. Probably should be around 20-25%.

Users who are viewing this thread