What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread, Presented by YouTubeTV (21 Viewers)

They’re just taking turns humiliating Gobert now.
I’ve been waiting for the Wolves to go small and take him out. Getting smoked on D, no help on O..

I say this with zero knowledge of the wolves rooster or capability of doing this.
I think they had a great roster matchup against Denver and probably a pretty poor one here. Dallas is perimeter oriented while Denver obviously has a great big that the Wolves could throw all their guys at and wear down.

They have a top-5 future in the league and a legit star but also major questions about Gobert and KAT. Fun playoffs for them.

KAT played great against Denver. Can we give this group, who had never won a playoff sereis together before winning two this year including one against the defending champs, one more year before we kick dirt all over them? Or is that not possible these days?
Buddy we been dragging teams for 15 years in this thread and now because yours is in the radar you want us to stop lmao I think not
yes exactly thank you

According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Mavericks are the first team to take a 3-0 series lead despite trailing in the final five minutes of the fourth quarter in each game during the play-by-play era, which began in 1997-98. Dallas has outscored Minnesota by a 24-11 margin in the final three minutes of the three games.

KAT is a very exasperating player

Seems uncoordinated/soft driving to the basket

7 footer who takes 8 three attempts in a game

Player who misses 8 (all) of his three attempts

I think his thought bubble would say 'when I make this three I'll turn it around and we'll win this game'

Kind of a knucklehead

Kind of a knucklehead

Let's not mention all his boneheaded plays on defense especially when he's already in foul trouble. It's almost as if his head isn't in the game when it matters most.

Naz Reid > KAT. Not sure why you keep Towns. Hopefully, they'll still be able to get some value for him but I don't think many teams are going to be that interested at $50mm. Maybe he's worth a MLE and a few 2nds?

I am not ready for the finals to start yet, can the Pacers and Twolves pull a win or two out over the next few days? TIA
i have good news for you, they won’t start until June 6 no matter what

That is good, but I still want basketball to watch in-between.
I agree but also thinking about it like the time off until the Super Bowl. At least both teams should be healthy.

Two good series going on in hockey if any of yall watch that. :shrug:

According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Mavericks are the first team to take a 3-0 series lead despite trailing in the final five minutes of the fourth quarter in each game during the play-by-play era, which began in 1997-98. Dallas has outscored Minnesota by a 24-11 margin in the final three minutes of the three games.
This is not shocking. The Wolves coaching the entire postseason has been questionable, to put it kindly.

Naz Reid > KAT. Not sure why you keep Towns. Hopefully, they'll still be able to get some value for him but I don't think many teams are going to be that interested at $50mm. Maybe he's worth a MLE and a few 2nds?
Yes...

Naz needs to start

Last edited:
That was the Tatum wave T
Exactly the same good call.
Idiotic call in both circumstances. Where are all these people who want to see robots play basketball and not people with emotions and competitiveness?

(understanding thats the current standard, just saying its a bad standard)
My good call comment was good call by identikit recognizing that it was the same ref and same call. You are correct that they both were absolutely idiotic calls

Last edited:
I think this has more of a Dallas is awesome rather than a Minnesota sucks siuation. Dallas has flat out eviscerated a defense that shut down most everyone else, and has shut down Edwards. Pretty imperssive and I hope they win.
The media loves to do this thing where everyone who doesn't win a title sucks and needs to blow up their roster. That just isn't true and the great run from the Twolves this year shows that.

These games are pretty close but the Mavs are dominating the end of it. Having two guys that can be primary ball handlers AND make the big shot is a great advantage.

Both series have been closer than the results so far.

2. Stage is looking too big for Ant. I think he's in his head trying to figure out how to be a playmaker vs how to be a scorer instead of just playing ball. Not surprsing at 22.

@msudaisy26.
isn’t this just kind of who Ant has been through his career to this point, in terms of being inconsistent? He has amazing highs and doesn’t show up some percentage of the time. I think we’re just getting his downside at an inopportune time.
Kind of, but as someone who has watched most of his games in his career this is definitely something different. He's either hurting from that fall against Denver in Game 6, or hie's being overwhelmed by the moment/Dallas defense. I don't think he's taken any sort of stupid but he makes them mid-range turnarounds this series.
I respect and defer to your observation, but after another game's worth of data I still think fundamentally he's just not there yet as a player notwithstanding the fact he might also be slightly injured or overwhelmed. Even accounting for the last three pretty bad games, he's still playing better on average this postseason than he did during the regular season, so it's not like he's just in a postseason funk. During the regular season, he had a 19.7 PER and a .575 TSP, which are basically Demar Derozan advanced numbers. Good, but not the MJ/top 5 player in the league numbers, which is where people have been putting him in the conversation this year and especially in the postseason after his amazing series versus Denver. He's clearly got the tools and mentality to be a top 3 player and I wouldn't be surprised if he took a massive offensive leap next year in that regard. But I think we all got a little over our skis in expecting him to be an alpha scorer on a title team this year.

I think this has more of a Dallas is awesome rather than a Minnesota sucks siuation. Dallas has flat out eviscerated a defense that shut down most everyone else, and has shut down Edwards. Pretty imperssive and I hope they win.
The media loves to do this thing where everyone who doesn't win a title sucks and needs to blow up their roster. That just isn't true and the great run from the Twolves this year shows that.

These games are pretty close but the Mavs are dominating the end of it. Having two guys that can be primary ball handlers AND make the big shot is a great advantage.

Yep. Always love the Giannis answer about whether the season was a failure because Milwaukee didn't win the title.

I’ve been waiting for the Wolves to go small and take him out. Getting smoked on D, no help on O..

I say this with zero knowledge of the wolves rooster or capability of doing this.
I think they had a great roster matchup against Denver and probably a pretty poor one here. Dallas is perimeter oriented while Denver obviously has a great big that the Wolves could throw all their guys at and wear down.

They have a top-5 future in the league and a legit star but also major questions about Gobert and KAT. Fun playoffs for them.

The Wolves are built to beat the Nuggets (I don't know if that was the goal). It's tough to be able to beat a team like the Nuggets then beat a team like the Mavs. Different team skill sets to be effective against both - although I did expect a lot more out of Minnesota in this matchup.

The Wolves are built to beat the Nuggets (I don't know if that was the goal). It's tough to be able to beat a team like the Nuggets then beat a team like the Mavs. Different team skill sets to be effective against both - although I did expect a lot more out of Minnesota in this matchup.
If we get two sweeps its gonna be a loooooong layoff until the finals

Kind of a knucklehead

Let's not mention all his boneheaded plays on defense especially when he's already in foul trouble. It's almost as if his head isn't in the game when it matters most.
I think we MN fans (at least me) sort of love Towns because he wanted to be here even through some terrible years, gives shout outs to the fans, always gives a great effort and has had to go through a ton of things personally (death of mom, etc). In this world of only very short term memory, people forget he played well in the last 2 series. He’s generally a good long range shooter. He’s a likable guy.
And yet, the criticisms of him are valid (except of his 3 point shooting in this series, which seems like just an anomaly)- he takes terrible fouls, he’s not a great defender and often looks average near the rim. I definitely don’t WANT him gone, but he seems most likely to be gone in the next year or two. Would be strange to see him in another uniform, but ANT is obviously priority #1 and I’m pretty sure after what they gave up for Gobert that he isn’t going anywhere.
I think there’s another thread for this and I’m sure we MN fans seem miserable and defeatist but barring an impossible comeback in this series that will continue a streak of 33 years with no teams in the 4 major sports making the finals. Going by memory our teams will be 0-8 in semifinal rounds. Just a terrible soul sucking run of mediocrity and bad luck. I liken it to being tied to an ice cold blackjack table and being unable to leave.
Not really sure who to root for in the finals…I generally root against all Boston based teams just because they’ve had more than their share of success over the years, but the Mavs are actually pretty likable except Luka (who I’m sure I would love if he played for my team). Might be time to pick up a book or something instead 😏

The Timberwolves are still learning how to win in the playoffs. It'll be interesting to see how they learn from and respond to this series going forward.

Kind of a knucklehead

I think we MN fans (at least me) sort of love Towns because he wanted to be here even through some terrible years, gives shout outs to the fans, always gives a great effort and has had to go through a ton of things personally (death of mom, etc). In this world of only very short term memory, people forget he played well in the last 2 series. He’s generally a good long range shooter. He’s a likable guy.
And yet, the criticisms of him are valid (except of his 3 point shooting in this series, which seems like just an anomaly)- he takes terrible fouls, he’s not a great defender and often looks average near the rim. I definitely don’t WANT him gone, but he seems most likely to be gone in the next year or two. Would be strange to see him in another uniform, but ANT is obviously priority #1 and I’m pretty sure after what they gave up for Gobert that he isn’t going anywhere.
I think there’s another thread for this and I’m sure we MN fans seem miserable and defeatist but barring an impossible comeback in this series that will continue a streak of 33 years with no teams in the 4 major sports making the finals. Going by memory our teams will be 0-8 in semifinal rounds. Just a terrible soul sucking run of mediocrity and bad luck. I liken it to being tied to an ice cold blackjack table and being unable to leave.
Not really sure who to root for in the finals…I generally root against all Boston based teams just because they’ve had more than their share of success over the years, but the Mavs are actually pretty likable except Luka (who I’m sure I would love if he played for my team). Might be time to pick up a book or something instead 😏

Of course, I'm not saying he's not a good dude off the court. Seems like a nice guy who has definitely experienced a lot of loss. Feel bad for him honestly.

i, for one, cannot wait for Boston fans to watch Tatum spend 40 minutes a game guarding Luka and complain endlessly about how Tatum just isn't that good after he only posts 28, 7 and 7 in a loss.

Oh damn. Everyone’s favorite deadhead Bill Walton passed away

RIP. I actually started liking the guy after watching his 30/30. Great episode if you haven't seen it.
Just watched that recently.

Was a perfect documentary as it gets

Posted this in the FBG RIP thread:

I lived in greater Portland during that magical world championship year...

It was a FANTASTIC time...

I think Bill would agree

RIP, Big Red

Last edited:
KAT played great against Denver. Can we give this group, who had never won a playoff sereis together before winning two this year including one against the defending champs, one more year before we kick dirt all over them? Or is that not possible these days?
Btw KAT is 28 now. This is it for him. This is who he is.

With his cap hit and how much the Wolves are up against it you have to wonder if they move him this summer.

9 days is wild.

9 days is wild.

That's wayyyy too many First Takes

With his cap hit and how much the Wolves are up against it you have to wonder if they move him this summer.
I think they run it back again then if it doesn't work make a move at the deadline or in the offseason. KAT is gonna be tough to move for sure but some team is always hunting for a "star"

I don't really think of any questions around Gobert, actually. He's the only high paid Minny player doing his job. Who is the rim protecting, pick setting, lob threating, perimeter switching, able to stop the lobs and also swap over to the best scorer in the NBA with ease and always make the play guy out there?

In spite of how terrible KAT has looked, I feel like all his good moments are the KAT-Gobert Pick and roll. In spite of how terrible Ant has looked, he's at his best on the Rudy pick and rolls.

Is Gobert limited on offense? Yeah. A lot. Is he a pretty deserving DPOY and playing like it? Also yes. Every time he hits the bench all my friends and I are like awesome let's get some dunks now. Is Minny played Gobert and Naz more to cover all KAT's minutes they might be up 3-0 instead of Dallas. That guys scares the crap out of me every time he gets the ball. Can't believe he missed the buzzer one in game 2 (which was a fantastic play design btw, unnoticed I think because it missed).

I love a good jump into the trade machine... If the Wolves make a trade, they 1. Need to get cheaper 2. Should probably focus on a starting level 3/4 (preferably one that can shoot and rebound) 3. If they can get a PG that can be in the rotation in the playoffs. I'm going to assume they have to keep the trade equivalent salary or less coming in.

Trade #1 - Minnesota gets JJJ and Kennard. Grizzlies get KAT. JJJ is not a center and KAT is not a PF.
Trade #2 - Minnesota gets Cameron Johnson, DFS, and Schroder. Nets get KAT and Wendell Moore (into one of Brooklyn's trade exceptions). A pupu platter of 6th men for KAT.
Trade #3 - Minnesota gets Kyle Kuzma and Deni Avdija. Washington gets KAT. Probably my least favorite.

Trade #4 - Minnesota gets Malcom Brogdon and Jerami Grant. Portland gets KAT and Wendell Moore. If Minnesota could figure out how to be a respectable rebounding team with a forward paring of Grant and McDaniels (who combined average fewer rebounds per 36 than you would want your starting PF to grab), I think this would substantially improve their team. For Portland, they would have to figure out how to dump Ayton for neutral value (Charlotte for Cody Martin and Vasilije Micic?) while getting under the tax, but KAT would be a much better paring with the rest of the Blazers young guys. I don't know if there is a way to actually make this work within the CBA and Minnesota being a little into the 2nd Apron, it's probably pretty close.

Oh damn. Everyone’s favorite deadhead Bill Walton passed away

RIP. I actually started liking the guy after watching his 30/30. Great episode if you haven't seen it.
Just watched that recently.

Was a perfect documentary as it gets

Posted this in the FBG RIP thread:

I lived in greater Portland during that magical world championship year...

It was a FANTASTIC time...

I think Bill would agree

RIP, Big Red

I felt bad for hating him so long. It was really a combination of his 86 Celtics run against a young Major's Rockets and then his announcing schtick. I didnt think I could hate an announcer more until Mark Jackson came along. It was all misplaced. Seemed like an incredible person and his run with UCLA and the Blazers looked like the thing of legends.

Last edited:

The real issue with moving him is that I don't know that they can get better in doing so. He was also pretty key in beating Denver, so I would be shocked if they don't run it back next year - I mean, they were the #1 seed most of the year and made the conference finals - that's a successful season. Then, if nothing changes, some tougher decisions will probably be made.

The real issue with moving him is that I don't know that they can get better in doing so. He was also pretty key in beating Denver, so I would be shocked if they don't run it back next year - I mean, they were the #1 seed most of the year and made the conference finals - that's a successful season. Then, if nothing changes, some tougher decisions will probably be made.

Seemed like they almost got that #1 seed without his services. Addition by subtraction type thing?

Rockets would probably package Dillon Brooks, Jock LIndale and a 2nd for him if you're interested.

Seemed like they almost got that #1 seed without his services. Addition by subtraction type thing?

Rockets would probably package Dillon Brooks, Jock LIndale and a 2nd for him if you're interested.
Pass

I love a good jump into the trade machine... If the Wolves make a trade, they 1. Need to get cheaper 2. Should probably focus on a starting level 3/4 (preferably one that can shoot and rebound) 3. If they can get a PG that can be in the rotation in the playoffs. I'm going to assume they have to keep the trade equivalent salary or less coming in.

Trade #1 - Minnesota gets JJJ and Kennard. Grizzlies get KAT. JJJ is not a center and KAT is not a PF.
Trade #2 - Minnesota gets Cameron Johnson, DFS, and Schroder. Nets get KAT and Wendell Moore (into one of Brooklyn's trade exceptions). A pupu platter of 6th men for KAT.
Trade #3 - Minnesota gets Kyle Kuzma and Deni Avdija. Washington gets KAT. Probably my least favorite.

Trade #4 - Minnesota gets Malcom Brogdon and Jerami Grant. Portland gets KAT and Wendell Moore. If Minnesota could figure out how to be a respectable rebounding team with a forward paring of Grant and McDaniels (who combined average fewer rebounds per 36 than you would want your starting PF to grab), I think this would substantially improve their team. For Portland, they would have to figure out how to dump Ayton for neutral value (Charlotte for Cody Martin and Vasilije Micic?) while getting under the tax, but KAT would be a much better paring with the rest of the Blazers young guys. I don't know if there is a way to actually make this work within the CBA and Minnesota being a little into the 2nd Apron, it's probably pretty close.
I suspect the only of those other teams that would sign off on any of these is Washington and that’s only because they are dumb.

I can't argue with you that he's frustrating, overpaid, and somewhere between their 3rd and 5th most important player. But, despite recent results, he is most definitely better than Naz Reid (which is not a knock on Naz at all - see avatar). He was also the 2nd leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder on a WCF team while shooting 50/42/87 this year. He also played well against Phoenix and Denver. I can't defend his play in this series, but I don't have any issue keeping him for next year. I also won't have any issue if they get a good return from him, but if all they can get is what Kev posted above they need to keep him.

Reactions: Zow

I can't argue with you that he's frustrating, overpaid, and somewhere between their 3rd and 5th most important player. But, despite recent results, he is most definitely better than Naz Reid (which is not a knock on Naz at all - see avatar). He was also the 2nd leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder on a WCF team while shooting 50/42/87 this year. He also played well against Phoenix and Denver. I can't defend his play in this series, but I don't have any issue keeping him for next year. I also won't have any issue if they get a good return from him, but if all they can get is what Kev posted above they need to keep him.
Wil they be over the apron or whatever it’s called if they keep him? That could possibly make the decision for them.

The issue (assuming they can find a taker for him, which I’m skeptical of) is more whether keeping him is worth being a second apron team or not, not so much whether the trade returns much on court value.

This is the correct answer unless some teams calls them with a crazy good offer.

Users who are viewing this thread