What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (1 Viewer)

Well, with the Dolphins loss last night, just have to find a way to win this thing today - even if it’s ugly as sin. Going to be there and I’m sure MetLife will be as bipolar as can be.

Well, with the Dolphins loss last night, just have to find a way to win this thing today - even if it’s ugly as sin. Going to be there and I’m sure MetLife will be as bipolar as can be.
I think the defense should keep them in the game as long as Wilson doesn’t do anything to hurt them (dumb turnovers). I’m not expecting Wilson to look good, but hope he makes a few key throws (Detroit secondary isn’t good) and that Bam and Carter can carry the load.
I think a 17-13 win is a possibility.

You guys are closer to the situation than I am, but def feels like the team is 100% behind White. It’s not just the on-field stuff (where he has surpassed anything Zach did.) He has the respect of the locker room.

Any reasonable Jets fan wants to see Wilson have a good game. LT, they’ll give him every opportunity to succeed/fail. But IMO Saleh should go back to Mike [the remainder of this]regardless of today’s outcome.

You guys are closer to the situation than I am, but def feels like the team is 100% behind White. It’s not just the on-field stuff (where he has surpassed anything Zach did.) He has the respect of the locker room.

Any reasonable Jets fan wants to see Wilson have a good game. LT, they’ll give him every opportunity to succeed/fail. But IMO Saleh should go back to Mike [the remainder of this]regardless of today’s outcome.
Unless Zach lights it up (and let’s face it, that’s a remote possibility) I think they go back with White. I think they only turn back to Zach if they’re completely out of the playoff picture and want to get one last look before turning the page.

He has the respect of the locker room.

The question is whether the dog peeing guy who demanded a trade and had to leave the team for a bit, the guy who can't line up right and still has passes bounce off of his chest, and the hysterical rookie talking about war are really the temperatures you want to be assessing.

You can be an idiot and have respect of idiots -- the question of having the locker room is not one of any good/bad dichotomy.

I think you covered it well. No one except ZW and his family wants him to start, but it is what it is. And with the Thursday game, it’s almost certainly going to be ZW for the next two games. Maybe even the rest of the season if White isn’t cleared or if the Jets lose the next two.

I mean, my friend who was in the military was at one point in charge of making sure guys put their underwear on correctly because they were too mentally challenged where you couldn't assume that they had it right. He told me this while he was AWOL (his father died and they gave him a whopping weekend. He took more time than that and eventually worked a discharge with the help of a state senator, thank God. We all knew that the military was a bad fit.) But my point is that just because a guy can check underwear and have the respect of those people whose underwear he's checking doesn't necessarily make him fit for battle or them good soldiers. It just is.

Last edited:
Lot of people blasting Zach in the ZW thread, and deservedly so for the most part. I just hope he shuts all of us detractors up.
I mean they’re not wrong - but this board does have a ton of loud mouth dummies on it that just love to join the echo chambers (and bashing on the Jets has long been a thing). I do hope Zach shuts them up as well.
I've got nothing against Wilson and often root for players (young men) to succeed, despite the jersey. That being said, I'm not optimistic given what I've seen so far from Zach. From a fantasy perspective, I have a team (my highest money league) that has been injury riddled (almost to the point of a lost season), squeaked into the play-offs and is heavily invested in the Jets (defense, Garrett Wilson, Bam). I'm not as confident as I was with White under center. Agree with your take on people's perception.... In fact, part of my strategy was targeting Jets players as guys that could exceed their draft slot, in part because team perception lowered their ADP.
Obviously Wilson shouldn’t inspire confidence in anyone at this point. As you see the Jets fans in here are not optimistic and are at best hopeful.
That thread is now a cesspool lead by one of the dumbest trolls on this board - who is obviously just in there to troll another poster that’s in there expressing some hope - and a few “one line” posters who add nothing as well. Maybe some people would actually like to discuss football instead of just reading “duhhhhh….he stink”.

Yea gotta stay out of that thread - just toxic and too much "get the last word" posting.

As far as Zach, I'm a Jet fan. I am ALWAYS going to have hope. Zach, Mike White, Strevler, even Flacco - whoever they throw out there I am going to have some hope. Did I want Zach to be "the guy" - sure I did. And then when he wasn't and was instead firing screen passes into the dirt, was I hopeful that they maybe found a gem in White? Absolutely. Am I realistic in that now after seeing White play these games that I'm probably seeing an excellent career backup and not necessarily "the guy"? Yup that's probably what he is. So back to Zach we go, and with Zach go my hopes.

In fairness to Zach, we can throw last year out. This year, he missed most of training camp and the first few weeks. Is that an excuse for how bad he played? Probably not but he's so young that the fan in me still holds out hope that it starts to click. If he really stinks today and they lose then my "hope" probably shifts to "it was a better year than I thought it would be but we need a FA vet in the worst way"

To me, hope is part of being a fan. It does cloud objectivity sometimes, but I try and temper that as best I can.

Last edited:
This is such castor oil. This Wilson starting. The rationalist in me knows that Zach stinks and won't show much and they'll lose, but I also know that it's better that they stanch and blanch the wound now rather than let it fester. Be done with these pipe dreams of the cannon arm for good.

The fan in me has hope. That Wilson comes out gunning. That White isn't a career backup. The fan in me wants Gummi Nerds wrapped in Sour Screamer candy ropes. Yum.

But the fan in me is always sick later.

On with the castor oil.

I just can't buy the "he was so young", "he lacks experience" stuff.

Brock Purdy is a rookie. He was Mr. Irrelevant. Guy probably hadn't a first team snap all year until 2 weeks ago.

In the 2 games he's played, he's gone 16/21 for 2 scores and 17/26 and 2 scores

Yeah, tough one. Zach obviously produced some chunk plays but poor accuracy and situational decision making killed them. And saleh not using a timeout earlier in the drive was awful.

They're done. Had this team at 8-9 pre-season and that's where I think they end up.

If Zack repeats this performance again on Thursday (can't imagine white gets cleared) they'll be officially done and I have no idea who plays qb the last 2 games

Edit: was it "better" from a statistical standpoint? Of course. But he missed a lot of easy ones again

Last edited:
Yeah, tough one. Zach obviously produced some chunk plays but poor accuracy and situational decision killed them. And saleh not using a timeout earlier in the drive was awful.

They're done. Had this team at 8-9 pre-season and that's where I think they end up.

If Zack repeats this performance again on Thursday (can't imagine white gets cleared) they'll be officially done and I have no idea who plays qb the last 2 games

Edit: was it "better" from a statistical standpoint? Of course. But he missed a lot of easy ones again
Not taking timeouts really was potentially the biggest play/non-play of the game. I am curious what the rational was there.

Not taking timeouts really was potentially the biggest play/non-play of the game. I am curious what the rational was there.
The one particular play where I believe they passed for a 1st down and then instead of a TO they hurry up to run a play and burn a ton of time. I thought maybe they were concerned he didn't actually catch it and didn't want a TO lead to a replay but it seemed a clean catch, right?

Yeah, tough one. Zach obviously produced some chunk plays but poor accuracy and situational decision making killed them. And saleh not using a timeout earlier in the drive was awful.
Zach made a few really nice throws and showed a little more “command” of the offense than he’s shown before but overall it was at best a mediocre performance, despite the nice stat-line. He also, of course, made some unbelievably bad throws and could have had a few more turnovers added.

Even on the short TD pass to Umozah he put way too much air under it and gave the the defender a chance to make a play, on what
should have been an easy TD, but Umozah was too strong for him.

I don’t see much hope of White starting on Thursday - and with that I don’t see much hope of winning that game. Not sure if the go back to White once they’re eliminated from playoff contention - but I’m convinced at this point Zach isn’t going to lead this team next season so may as well let White audition.

Last edited:
Rough one

ZW didnt lose the game for them - but it wasnt a turn around performance as well - Zach still has the same issues and its looking more and more like he is who he is. In a way Im glad that he gets these 2 games to show that so there is none of that "maybe" crap that surrounded Sam....of course that will make it harder to trade him in the future for more than late rd pick.

If you would have told me they had a 4 pt lead with 4 minutes to go and Detroit had to drive most of the field I would have been confident the D would step up and win the game. They didnt. 3 plays cost them the game - punt return, the 4th and 1 disaster and the awful int.

Also Saleh's time management was atrocious down the stretch - may need to bring in Herm's guy **** Curl lol - the entire stadium was screaming to call TO - not sure what he was thinking there but hopefully it was a lesson learned.

I know technically they are still alive - but this one pretty much crushed the playoffs IMO - still nice to be in the conversation this late in the season. No shot White plays Thurs so ZW gets one last shot. It will be interesting what they do if White is cleared for the final 2 games but thats down the road and likely depends on the record.

Yesterday was a gut-punch that I haven't felt in a while. First watching the Jets blow another game they could have won. Then losing a fantasy game because I didn't want to start Stevenson. Sigh.

Let me start with the positives:

G Wilson is a freaking stud. Yes, we have already known that, but hey we gotta find something to feel good about.

Our CBs are outstanding.

If you weren't already sold on it, Q WIlliams is our defensive MVP and deserves the bag of money. We usually have a ton of interior pass rushing pressure despite him getting double and triple teamed. Yesterday we had almost nothing from the inside.

Negatives:

When comparing the Lions and Jets, one area that I thought they were better than us was probably coaching. I think our coaching has cost us 2 of those last 3 games. MLF sometimes shows great creativity and sometimes is truly baffling. He definitely cost us against the Vikings. It took him a long time to adjust to Detroit's defensive scheme. The play-calling was awful in the first half. It seemed like G Wilson and Carter were ignored in the first half. Gotta feed Berrios and Jeff Smith I guess.

Saleh, wtf??? Just terrible mismanagement of the clock.

That was a great call by the Lions to beat us, but damn we lack speed on defense. Carter has done on a nice job all season, but that path to tackle to one of the slowest TEs in the league was interesting to say the least. Our safeties are atrocious and is our biggest need on defense.

Wilson - I'm usually a patient guy, but damn, it hurts watching this guy. He missed open WRs. The frustration and body language from the WRs says it all. I love G Wilson, but it's not a good look. That INT was horrible, but maybe even worse was that pass that somehow Carter caught. What the hell. That had disaster written all over it. Even some of the "good" plays weren't the best of passes.

Remember how good Morestead looked when Mann was hurt? Jesus, Mann must be the worst punter in the league. He's gotta go. Come on JD. You should have seen that one coming, but you stuck with your draft pick.

This year is probably shot. No excuses for next year. They better make the playoffs. Getting Breece and AVT back will help. Need more help on the o-line, new safeties, and a punter. Not sure what we will do at QB. That will be the biggest question mark. Hopefully White can prove to be decent.

BTW - Thurs game will bring extra pain as it will remind us all of those 2 meaningless wins a few years ago with Gase.

I recall the huge debate on "tanking" for the #1 and cheering for your team to lose. I still stand by they obviously couldn't tank but they should have played all their young players including QB to "evaluate" them which would have likely hauled them the 1st pick.

Can you imagine this team with Trevor at the helm? Youd be looking at a dominance decade - now they are still in QB purgatory instead of having a sure fire franchise QB....interested if the opposing viewpoints have changed their minds or not seeing how it played out.

BTW - Thurs game will bring extra pain as it will remind us all of those 2 meaningless wins a few years ago with Gase.

I recall the huge debate on "tanking" for the #1 and cheering for your team to lose. I still stand by they obviously couldn't tank but they should have played all their young players including QB to "evaluate" them which would have likely hauled them the 1st pick.

Can you imagine this team with Trevor at the helm? Youd be looking at a dominance decade - now they are still in QB purgatory instead of having a sure fire franchise QB....interested if the opposing viewpoints have changed their minds or not seeing how it played out.

I mostly remember that one guy (Fariq or something like that) that called us fake fans for rooting to lose. If it's too painful to think about not having Jacksonville Jesus, can we wonder how nice it would have been to have Fields instead of Wilson? At least that was a choice we had.

Can't Wait? ugh, what a disaster.

I mostly remember that one guy (Fariq or something like that) that called us fake fans for rooting to lose. If it's too painful to think about not having Jacksonville Jesus, can we wonder how nice it would have been to have Fields instead of Wilson? At least that was a choice we had.
I definitely remember a few passionately against it - talking about winning culture and winning no matter what - those 2 wins did nothing but hurt the franchise long term.

As for Fields - I still dont get it - after it was clear they lost the #1 Fields went out and absolutely crushed the best team in the nation with a monster performance and then followed it up with a very impressive game with broken ribs...not to mention he had all the traits of a franchise QB - then they fall in love with a kid who barely played at a lower level school because of a few throws on pro day....brutal. JD has done a good job but this one will stick with him for a while - most GMs dont survive a whiff of that magnitude

JD has done a good job but this one will stick with him for a while - most GMs dont survive a whiff of that magnitude
If he didn't build a team that could win despite bad QB play around Zach he most likely wouldn't survive this.

I was on the Fields bandwagon as well, but I will admit I did fall for Zach's upside after the pick was made - and then Fields fell further on draft day. Fields, with his running ability and safe passing, would be so perfect for this team that it makes me angry that they passed on him.

If it was just accuracy that was Zach’s primary issue, I’d feel a lot more confident that a QB guru could work with him in the offseason and help him work through his mechanics. Maybe not anything like a Josh Allen transformation, but some kind of meaningful improvement.

I’m no expert, but I think most of it lies between Zach’s ears, and that may not be something that can be coached up. There are a lot of QBs that have nowhere near the natural talent of ZW, but you have to have the temperament and quick decision making ability to be successful at this position. Just look around the league among lesser talented guys who are getting it done - Mr. Irrelevant Brock Purdy, for example. Unless ZW can dial it back and not be so frenetic out there, he’s going to be another one in the long line of highly touted, highly drafted QBs that flamed out. Seems like he may be there already.

Last edited:
If it were just accuracy that was Zach’s primary issue, I’d feel a lot more confident that a QB guru could work with him in the offseason and help him work through his mechanics. Maybe not anything like a Josh Allen transformation, but some kind of meaningful improvement.

I’m no expert, but I think most of it lies between Zach’s ears, and that may not be something that can be coached up. There are a lot of QBs that have nowhere near the natural talent of ZW, but you have to have the temperament and quick decision making ability to be successful at this position. Just look around the league among lesser talented guys who are getting it done - Mr. Irrelevant Brock Purdy, for example. Unless ZW can dial it back and not be so frenetic out there, he’s going to be another one in the long line of highly touted, highly drafted QBs that flamed out. Seems like he may be there already.

You're right.

How do you teach this guy not to do this? Look at this play. Sure INT, maybe pick 6. Carter did a miracle save.

Do any of those QBs drafted last year make decisions like this? I can't think of one. Forget rookies. If I try to think about who are the worst decision-makers in the league, he's got Heineke beat by miles. He makes us miss Darnold's decision-making and ability to mis-read defenses. To make matters worse, he can't even spot wide-open receivers. Sigh.

Yea, prettymuch my feeling. We saw what we saw - there's just no real rhythm to the offense with Zach. While he does seem better on rollouts and plays where he's escaping pressure, he looks very uncomfortable in the pocket. The wr's clearly don't like playing with him either. G Wilson getting upset multiple times was hard to miss. Gotta think the rest feel that way too even if not as demonstrative.

Fields still sucks. Anybody who's watched him can tell you that.

Kurt Warner and Mariucci were interviewed in The Athletic recently and gave him a big thumbs down.

Wilson also is terrible, and Fields's rushing makes him better, but not by much.

I wouldn't re-litigate the Fields/Wilson decision yet. They're both miles from competent.

It was Lawrence or bust with that class, and we beat the undefeated or one-loss Rams. That, as they say, was that.

But we had almost beat the Raiders but for the Henry Ruggs/Gregg Williams blitz miracle, so we were going to win eventually. Jacksonville did a better job of masking their tank, we played our guys, and they'll be good for the next decade while we wait for the quarterback.

NFL should -- should -- have a lottery to solve **** like that, but they don't.

It was Fariq arguing with every soul on the board that we should be cheering for them winning. He no longer really posts here because he got so aggravated, I guess. Not a bad guy, but a bad take.

We knew Lawrenece was going to be good. We just knew. Would our collective temperament have allowed the fan base to abide last year? That's a legit question to ask, I think. Would Lawrence have survived the first part of this year if some noodle-armed chump in back of him could read a defense or two?

That's what you have to ask yourselves. You can say it's different all you want, but I doubt it.

And to be sure, Wilson has stunk the house out. Like Josh Rosen bad. But has the organization really moved on from him? I doubt it. That creates the problem, really. If we could commit to signing a guy or drafting a guy, then so be it. But we've already won too many games for the draft and everyone here is thinking playoffs. It's contradictory thinking, really. Whither the free agent max signing? Geno? Jimmy G?

You guys have all these contradictory impulses going. "Zach's not the guy. We need the playoffs." Well, they both come at a cost.

Basically, I'm just tired of all the bitching. Suck it up. You knew this was happening when we beat the Rams back then. You can go back through this thread and read my posts about it. I was actually hopeful for Wilson, because the other guys were terrible on the face of it. You think Fields and his Baby Yoda breathing yoga sideline exercises would have cut it here?

No way.

Last edited:
Obviously Lawrence was poor last year and earlier this year. But I think it's fair to ask just how much of that was the urban Meyer factor. That was one of the most dysfunctional setups in nfl history.

And I think Lawrence would have gotten a lot more rope from the fan base regardless. There were a lot of people like me that were never sold on Wilson

But I think it's fair to ask just how much of that was the urban Meyer factor

For sure. Dumb enough to hire Meyer, smart enough to tank. That'll forever define the Jaguars the next decade, one thinks. Bad owner, just like us, but his GM got it right and was running the coach/GM relationship back then, by luck. We didn't have that back then, and it cost us. More bad ownership on our part. And that's what it comes down to.

Fields still sucks. Anybody who's watched him can tell you that.

Kurt Warner and Mariucci were interviewed in The Athletic recently and gave him a big thumbs down.

Wilson also is terrible, and Fields's rushing makes him better, but not by much.

I wouldn't re-litigate the Fields/Wilson decision yet. They're both miles from competent.

Maybe a little reader bias on your part. Might as well provide the actual comments:

I didn't see any Mariucci quotes, only from Warner and Chris Simms.

Warner on Fields:
“Incredible talent,” Warner said. “He’s making some incredible plays in the last few weeks, but they’re with his legs, and not so much with his arm. I understand that him making those plays in the run game helps him in the passing game, because that means the defenses are so worried about him running, and that lends itself to some openings in the pass game. But there’s so much more to the passing aspect of the game that he needs to work on. I don’t know if you can survive depending on him making these special plays every single week.”

Simms on Fields:
“The most amazing thing going right now in football,” Simms said. “He’s the best running quarterback in football right now, and you know me, I’m a Lamar Jackson fan. He’s better running than Lamar Jackson right now. He’s the most explosive thing with the ball in his hands. I don’t know what took so long for them to start running designed runs. I was wondering, ‘Why are we trying to make him Aaron Rodgers?’ You need to play to his strengths and design around that.”

And please, how is Fields only marginally better at this point? Fields is playing with the equivalent of 3 Jeff Smiths, if that. Same lousy o-line. At least you can design an offense around him. The Bears sold off their good players and still played Philly to the last possession. Fields does something that Wilson doesn't do: he makes plays. Running or throwing, he gets it done.

Btw, Warner doesn't exactly have a ringing endorsement for Wilson. He's probably being nice by saying he struggles past the first read. Not one mention of incredible plays or incredible talent.

Warner on Wilson:
“If the first guy is open, then he makes the throws and makes some nice plays,” Warner said. “But if he’s not open, we see him struggle. He has to have a plan on where he’s going with the ball beyond the initial read.”

game. But there’s so much more to the passing aspect of the game that he needs to work on. I don’t know if you can survive depending on him making these special plays every single week.

That’s what I focused on. That’s hardly a ringing endorsement of his pocket game.

Joe Douglas nailed basically every move he had to make....except the most important one.

He's obviously going to survive because the last 2 drafts were great. (other than Zach) But Wilson is an all time Ryan Leaf/Jamarcus Russell level whiff and it puts everything else they've done right in jeopardy.

Will be interesting to see if they give the keys to White next summer or try to acquire someone else. They're obviously not going to pick high enough in the draft to get anyone, (and at this point, this regime can't afford to spend another year letting a rookie take his licks) so I'm guessing they go after a Brissett type. The ultimate LOLZ move would be paying Geno.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's about as bad as bad gets. He got outplayed by a UDFA CFL guy. Basically no reps and just outplayed him. That's the lowest of lows for this guy.

If the Jets are smart enough to move on, then at least that still puts them in better shape than teams like the Broncos, Colts, and possibly even the Cards.

The only thing worse than taking a QB with a high pick and having to move on after only 2 years, is holding out hope through their entire rookie deal, or giving them a huge contract/trading a ton for them and realizing you’re stuck with them for a long time but they’ll never live up to the deal.

And that's that.

I tried to hope, but he's completely overmatched. Don't know what you do with him at this point.
I think you just have to “Josh Rosen” him like the Cards did. Admit your mistake early in the contract and see if you can find a QB-needy team as a trade partner that believes in the talent. There should be several such teams that may not be in position to take one of the top rookies.

I think it’s clear though that Zach will never be able to make it NYC now - maybe if he somehow miraculously became Peyton Manning-like right out of the gate next year. But with the fans and media always (and justifiably) on him from here forward, that just won’t be allowed to happen even if he finds his game in the offseason.

Last edited:
While the ZW pick is another embarrassment for the team, at least this time there is hope that they can navigate past it and not be a franchise killer. While there is the opportunity cost of who else they may have drafted besides ZW (e.g., Fields) and actual financial cost of trading or releasing ZW, they have the cap space to replace him. And there are certainly replacements out there that just need to be decent game managers.

ETA: hindsight is 20/20, but I wonder if things would have turned out a bit differently if ZW sat for a year

Last edited:
Went back and watched the Wilson workout again on youtube this morning. Trying SO hard to see what everyone claims to see. I just dont.

Obviously there were some incredible throws. He seems to have good footwork (although who knows how much of that is just the choreographed nature of the workout). I also saw a lot of REALLY mediocre throws. Overthrew some easy ones and there were a bunch of others that were behind the receiver or forced them to noticeably slow down. Just like in his highlight tapes, I see a lot of throws that only worked for him because he was playing lousy teams with no talent.

I just keep going back to the one-year wonder nature of the whole thing (combined with the natural maturity of BYU's roster, which I firmly believe gave them an advantage this past year)

Just seems like everyone is trying SO hard to gas up "the next Patrick Mahomes" because they want it to happen. I hope they're right. But to me, it just seems like the early 2000's NBA all over again. Dirk Nowitzki blew up and became a new prototype and next thing you know, any European 7 footer with a pulse who could hit the rim with a 3 pointer was a lottery pick.

But there was only 1 Dirk and there's only one Mahomes. To me, Wilson just looks like a guy who figure out how to do a decent Mahomes impression against lousy competition.

I promise to stop with the negativity once they draft him. :wall:

Looking back, I've said a LOT of dumb things in this thread. I wanted the Jets to sign Kenny Golloday :bag:

But unfortunately my uneducated evaluation from 4/13/21 was basically dead on. The lobbing up deep prayers against covered guys (which only worked because BYU played crappy competition)....the constant inaccurate short throws....the "off platform" for off-platform's sake. His footwork only looked good in a choreographed workout. The one year wonder nature of his production. It was all right there. Douglas and the media hype train just missed it/chose to overlook it for some reason.

While the ZW pick is another embarrassment for the team, at least this time there is hope that they can navigate past it and not be a franchise killer. While there is the opportunity cost of who else they may have drafted besides ZW (e.g., Fields) and actual financial cost of trading or releasing ZW, they have the cap space to replace him. And there are certainly replacements out there that just need to be decent game managers.

ETA: hindsight is 20/20, but I wonder if things would have turned out a bit differently if ZW sat for a year
SF is a good example of putting out a good team without (as of yet) their big QB pick. Defense and running game can take a team a long way.

SF is a good example of putting out a good team without (as of yet) their big QB pick. Defense and running game can take a team a long way.
Further proof that the 1970s was the best decade.

SF seems to have almost a foolproof offensive system at this point - they are plug and playing various QBs and looking very good/winning. The Jet replacement QBs are better than ZW but thats not much of a bar

The ironic part of that last game was remembering how the Jets were in the drivers seat for drafting Lawrence, then won 2 games at the end of the season to drop to #2 in the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread