What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2023 NFL Preseason Game Observations Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Jaleel McLaughlin (DEN) is potentially someone to put on the deep cut watch list at RB.

In the mold of Darren Sproles at 5'7" 190lbs. 4.4 speed, shifty, good receiver, etc.

UDFA out of Youngstown State. NCAA all-time leading rusher at 8.2K yards (small school, 5 yrs).

Turning heads all throughout Broncos' TC to date. First showing last night was impressive (sans fumble out-of-bounds).

Increasing his odds daily of making the 53-man roster and may even make it as high as RB3 behind Perine and JW by start of season.

J. McLaughlin 8/11 preseason G1 highlights (nice screen pass at 0:20)

Second Colts drive AR gets 5 yards on a designed run then nice completion to Pittman Jr.
Chased out of the pocket and tackled for loss but def. penalty gives Colts 1st down.
3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 runs up the middle both fail.

Third drive for Colts starts inside their 10.

Jackson and Hull sharing carries and a screen pass to Hull gives Indy 2 first downs.

Nice 19 yard connection over the middle to Granson. Shot to Pierce from the 35 to the end zone just misses. 11 yard quick out completion to McKenzie. RB Jackson picks up 1st down. Then nice run on AR keeper comes back due to holding.

AR connects on screen to Hull but short of first down. FG attempt fails.

Nice seeing Darius Rush with a long pick 6. I thought he flashed a lot of upside in college, but not enough consistency to be picked high.

Absolutely a drop. That was a beautiful throw and placement.
It was a catchable ball. I don't know that I would call that a "drop", but you do want to see Alec Pierce secure that.
Hmm not sure I really understand. How can it be a catchable ball but not a drop
Absolutely a drop. Tough catch for sure but had both hands on it. You could tell by his body language after he play (Pierce) that he knew he should have had it.

Great ball by AR but he also sailed at least 6 balls high, including the pick in the first series.

Panthers O Line not doing a good job keeping Bryce upright on that drive. Supposed to be a strength as they brought everyone back.

Non-fantasy related, but my wife walked in and asked if that was Jesse Ventura calling this Cardinals game.

Bad drop by Jeudy (that's often part of his game) but man, he's been open pretty much the entire game. No reason he shouldn't be able to make a run at 90+ catches if he can stay healthy, even without good QB play. Jeudy had 33 catches over the last 5 games last season, once he got healthy. Even with the TD, I wonder if Wilson's performance moves Jeudy's ADP down slightly.
That’s great that your wife knows Venturas voice!

The Jets defensive line has a bunch of sacks today. They kinda come in waves with all the bodies they have to rush the passer.

eta* Looks like one sack, a bunch of QB hits. All I know is that Young has been under a lot of pressure every time he drops back. They were talking about it at halftime.

eta2* I see Desert Power sort of covered it upthread. Whoops. And here I thought I was imparting observational wisdom.

Last edited:

It was a catchable ball. I don't know that I would call that a "drop", but you do want to see Alec Pierce secure that.
When I see drop I assume easy catch, that was a catchable ball but wasn't a drop.

When I see drop I assume easy catch, that was a catchable ball but wasn't a drop.
Yeah idk a good receiver pulls that in. Skill issue I guess. I can't watch a pass drop right into someone's hands and not call it a drop.

Yeah idk a good receiver pulls that in. Skill issue I guess.
We are all guilty, but so much dissecting individual preseason plays, football is back but we all need real games sooner than later :oldunsure:.

Yeah idk a good receiver pulls that in. Skill issue I guess.
We are all guilty, but so much dissecting individual preseason plays, football is back but we all need real games sooner than later :oldunsure:.
Absolutely. Like bart Scott said, can't wait.

The Jets defensive line has a bunch of sacks today. They kinda come in waves with all the bodies they have to rush the passer.

eta* Looks like one sack, a bunch of QB hits. All I know is that Young has been under a lot of pressure every time he drops back. They were talking about it at halftime.

eta2* I see Desert Power sort of covered it upthread. Whoops. And here I thought I was imparting observational wisdom.
Was that mostly the 1s out there for the Jets defense?

Young looked fine. Poised in the pocket but not taking any risks with all the pressure.

Last edited:
In this Jaguars/Cowboys game Trevor Lawrence, Calvin Ridley, Christian Kirk, Evan Engram, Travis Etienne, and Tank Bigsby got practically the whole 1st quarter... I LOVE THAT.

You have a young QB and a new coach/kinda new offense with a new player in Ridley? Get them as many reps as you can. Don't sit them out, now they have work you can build on in practice the next week.

In this Jaguars/Cowboys game Trevor Lawrence, Calvin Ridley, Christian Kirk, Evan Engram, Travis Etienne, and Tank Bigsby got practically the whole 1st quarter... I LOVE THAT.

You have a young QB and a new coach/kinda new offense with a new player in Ridley? Get them as many reps as you can. Don't sit them out, now they have work you can build on in practice the next week.

Neither the HC or OC are new, but just the fact you've got a WR1 who hasn't played in 657 days and needs reps with the franchise QB, totally makes sense.

I don't think the Jags had joint practices this week, right? Whereas Detroit and the NYG got In a lot of good work, it kind of made sense for both teams to rest starters. When you've got multiple fields going simultaneously everyone is getting twice the reps. Next week Detroit and Jax have joint practices followed by a game on Saturday afternoon. Will be interesting to see how the coaches handle it, Game 2 is sort of the new dress rehearsal game but a lot of teams are comfortable keeping veteran stars on the bench all PS. Obviously Jameson Williams will play a ton of snaps but I'm interested to see how MCDC handles the rest of the starters.

THAT'S IT

I OFFICIALLY CALL BRYCE YOUNG...

A BUST!!!
While I did not like the Panthers pick, any rookie will take some growing pains before a declaration of that finality is branded on his profile.
His bad game was not 100% his. The whole Offense looked bad.

Was that mostly the 1s out there for the Jets defense?

Sorry for the late response. No, it wasn't. I didn't see John Franklin-Myers, Carl Lawson, or Quinnen Williams out there (DL). Sauce Gardner didn't play, nor did D,J. Reed (CB). The starting safeties were inactive. So were the starting linebackers, C.J. Mosley and Quincy Williams.

Carolina got spanked by the B squad. That does not portend great things for Carolina. That was supposed to be their first-team offense. As a Jets fan, I'm realizing our roster might be really deep, which we're going to need given that we play a murderous schedule this year. We'll be extraordinarily fortunate to be 10-7, and the team's talent is very solid.

Last edited:
Tanner McKee looking solid. Really liked him as a prospect, he was just on a really bad Stanford team. Really wouldn't be shocked if he challenged Mariota this year.

Users who are viewing this thread