What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2023 NFL Preseason Game Observations Thread *** (1 Viewer)

While I did not like the Panthers pick, any rookie will take some growing pains before a declaration of that finality is branded on his profile.
His bad game was not 100% his. The whole Offense looked bad.
His teammates are all JAGs. None of these offensive players will be here in two years.
The problem with that expectation is that all the Draft Capital Carolina paid to Chicago to move up to select Bryce Young only leaves FA players as the rebuild path to success (if it is even attainable). They won't have picks until Bryce is a season vet and partially crippled or suffering from PTSD by the poor OL play (See David Carr).

The problem with that expectation is that all the Draft Capital Carolina paid to Chicago to move up to select Bryce Young only leaves FA players as the rebuild path to success (if it is even attainable). They won't have picks until Bryce is a season vet and partially crippled or suffering from PTSD by the poor OL play (See David Carr).
Hundred percent.

That Thielen contract is a major red flag to me. You wanna bring in a steady vet, fine. Don't overpay.

The owner started stomping around, talking about winning, as they start a rookie QB. So they waste too much money on stopgap players. Guys trying to save their jobs, so they mortgage the future.

From Connor Hughes, covers the Jets

Some quick thoughts on the #Jets victory over the #Panthers. There were some very, very notable developments. *** I'm not sure what Jermaine Johnson did this offseason, but he looks like a completely different player. His rookie season was a bit underwhelming. I know the Jets have talked about how he gained weight and muscle, but that alone doesn't result in what Johnson is doing on the field. He's been borderline unblockable these first two preseason games. I know Saleh likes his rotation, but Johnson might play himself into the bulk of the reps if he keeps this up. The rush to get home for his sack on Saturday was absurd. *** It wasn't just Johnson, though. That speed rush from Will McDonald to get the first sack of his career was a thing of beauty. He's still far too small to be an every-down player. He'll get bullied against the run. As a rusher, though, he's such a force. *** That was the Panthers starting offensive line. The Jets (resting Carl Lawson, John Franklin-Myers and Quinnen Williams, mind you) mauled them. This pass rush has the chance to be something really, really special. Imagine what they'll do if Aaron Rodgers can give them a two score lead, allowing them to pin their ears back and just attack the QB? *** I honestly don't know how you stop that Jets pass rush, either. Forget the players they have. Normally, when facing a rush like that, the priority is get rid of the ball ASAP. You can't do that against the Jets, though, because of DJ Reed, Sauce Gardner and Michael Carter. Those dudes are good enough to force even the best in the NFL to hitch, which gives an already elite rush an extra tick to get home. *** That was about as good of a performance as I've seen from Zach Wilson. He's made better "wow" throws during his career, but as it pertains to just playing quarterback, this tops it. He finished 14 of 20 (70 percent) for 123 yards with a touchdown. Wilson got rid of 14 of his passes in under 2.5 seconds — that's important. It means he was reading and trusting his eyes without hesitation. All but one of his passes went beyond 10 yards, though. I would like to see him try to stretch the field a bit more against the Bucs next week. Granted, some of those shorter throws could have been because of the poor offensive line play. *** Mekhi Becton got through 27 snaps. That was a major milestone. Now it's important to see how he feels when he gets up tomorrow. *** It was another really nice game for Joe Tippmann. Saleh said he wants his starting line finalized just after this game. Was this enough to get him over Connor McGovern? I still think no, but Tippmann keeps getting better. *** I have just one concern with the Jets right now. Seriously. That's it. This is a Super Bowl roster and team ... as long as they can figure out what they're going to do at OT. More on that here: https://sny.tv/articles/jets-super-bowl-aspirations-offensive-tackle-line-situation-is-resolved…*** This was the best I've seen Michael Carter (RB) look since his rookie year. He was elusive, versatile and explosive. He finished with 19 yards on four carries (4.8 average) and two catches for 34. *** Izzy Abanikanda broke another impressive run. This one 26 yards, 18 of which came as unexpected yardage, per NextGen. The Jets might not need Dalvin Cook. This Carter - Izzy - Knight combination might be plenty fine to hold the fort down until Breece Hall returns. *** The Jason Brownlee hype train is slowing a bit. He caught just two passes for 10 yards. I still have him making the practice squad, but the 53 seems like a longshot.

Seeing some arrogance from the Rams broadcast feed on NFL Network. Referring to the Rams as "LA" and the Chargers as "LAC". Implying they solely represent Los Angeles and don't need the clarification of "R" for Rams.

Demetrius Harvey
#Jaguars rookies in first game:

RB Tank Bigsby: 9 rushes 52 yards (34 long)
WR Parker Washington: 1 catch 16 yards, 1 rush,two yards, 4 returns (1 FC) for 44 yards
WR Elijah Cooks: two catches, 42 yards
WR Jaray Jenkins: 2 catches, 32 yards
TE Brenton Strange: 2 catches, 8 yards

S Antonio Johnson: 7 tackles (4 solos)
CB Kaleb Hayes: 3 tackles
CB Divaad Wilson: 3 tackles
CB Christian Braswell: 3 tackles, 1 INT
OLB Yasir Abdullah: 3 tackles, 1 sack
LB Ventrell Miller: 2 tackles, 1 sack
OLB DJ Coleman: 2 tackles, 1 TFL
DL Tyler Lacy: 1 tackle

CB Erick Hallett: 1 tackle
LB Dequan Jackson: 1 tackle

From Connor Hughes, covers the Jets

Some quick thoughts on the #Jets victory over the #Panthers. There were some very, very notable developments. *** I'm not sure what Jermaine Johnson did this offseason, but he looks like a completely different player. His rookie season was a bit underwhelming. I know the Jets have talked about how he gained weight and muscle, but that alone doesn't result in what Johnson is doing on the field. He's been borderline unblockable these first two preseason games. I know Saleh likes his rotation, but Johnson might play himself into the bulk of the reps if he keeps this up. The rush to get home for his sack on Saturday was absurd. *** It wasn't just Johnson, though. That speed rush from Will McDonald to get the first sack of his career was a thing of beauty. He's still far too small to be an every-down player. He'll get bullied against the run. As a rusher, though, he's such a force. *** That was the Panthers starting offensive line. The Jets (resting Carl Lawson, John Franklin-Myers and Quinnen Williams, mind you) mauled them. This pass rush has the chance to be something really, really special. Imagine what they'll do if Aaron Rodgers can give them a two score lead, allowing them to pin their ears back and just attack the QB? *** I honestly don't know how you stop that Jets pass rush, either. Forget the players they have. Normally, when facing a rush like that, the priority is get rid of the ball ASAP. You can't do that against the Jets, though, because of DJ Reed, Sauce Gardner and Michael Carter. Those dudes are good enough to force even the best in the NFL to hitch, which gives an already elite rush an extra tick to get home. *** That was about as good of a performance as I've seen from Zach Wilson. He's made better "wow" throws during his career, but as it pertains to just playing quarterback, this tops it. He finished 14 of 20 (70 percent) for 123 yards with a touchdown. Wilson got rid of 14 of his passes in under 2.5 seconds — that's important. It means he was reading and trusting his eyes without hesitation. All but one of his passes went beyond 10 yards, though. I would like to see him try to stretch the field a bit more against the Bucs next week. Granted, some of those shorter throws could have been because of the poor offensive line play. *** Mekhi Becton got through 27 snaps. That was a major milestone. Now it's important to see how he feels when he gets up tomorrow. *** It was another really nice game for Joe Tippmann. Saleh said he wants his starting line finalized just after this game. Was this enough to get him over Connor McGovern? I still think no, but Tippmann keeps getting better. *** I have just one concern with the Jets right now. Seriously. That's it. This is a Super Bowl roster and team ... as long as they can figure out what they're going to do at OT. More on that here: https://sny.tv/articles/jets-super-bowl-aspirations-offensive-tackle-line-situation-is-resolved…*** This was the best I've seen Michael Carter (RB) look since his rookie year. He was elusive, versatile and explosive. He finished with 19 yards on four carries (4.8 average) and two catches for 34. *** Izzy Abanikanda broke another impressive run. This one 26 yards, 18 of which came as unexpected yardage, per NextGen. The Jets might not need Dalvin Cook. This Carter - Izzy - Knight combination might be plenty fine to hold the fort down until Breece Hall returns. *** The Jason Brownlee hype train is slowing a bit. He caught just two passes for 10 yards. I still have him making the practice squad, but the 53 seems like a longshot.
I wasn’t watching terribly closely, but Carolina absolutely couldn’t block them. Every throw was basically hot route for survival.

Interesting with some teams going starters in this game. They mentioned it in the Packers / Bengals broadcast that some coaches were doing so...that way if you have a small injury, you have a few weeks to heal up before the regular season rather than starting them in the later games of preseason. Obviously, for the Packers it makes sense anyway with Love coming in and all the young WRs needing as much time as they can and a few other teams (Jags as was mentioned). But seems smart for about any team that is going to play starters at all to do it now.

In other news, my favorite whipping boy CEH still looks overmatched as a RB. Two carries for four yards. A catch on a designed play for a first, though. Still not fast.

AT Perry looking very solid.

I liked him a ton at Wake Forest and was shocked he fell to round 6, I thought he was a day 2 prospect.

I could see him winning the #3 job, over Tre'Quan Smith, and being the top backup to Michael Thomas, as I think Shaheed probably is looked at more as a ST/gadget/deep shot guy, not a guy who is likely to ascend to the #2 job.

You know what would be cool, IMHO? Justin Tucker channeling Dynamo from the running man, every time he took the field...yeah, I think that would be cool, and I don't even care if nobody else agree with me.

Richie James with a good drive there for KC. Gabbert missed him on a wide open TD but they came back to him 2 plays later from the 1 yard line for TD. Looks more impactful than Rice or Ross so far. Also caught a long one out of the slot to get them down there.

I liked him a ton at Wake Forest and was shocked he fell to round 6, I thought he was a day 2 prospect.

I could see him winning the #3 job, over Tre'Quan Smith, and being the top backup to Michael Thomas, as I think Shaheed probably is looked at more as a ST/gadget/deep shot guy, not a guy who is likely to ascend to the #2 job.
Yeah pretty impressed with what I'm seeing so far, you could do worse grabbing him late in rookie drafts and seeing how things shake out the next year or two.

Richie James with a good drive there for KC. Gabbert missed him on a wide open TD but they came back to him 2 plays later from the 1 yard line for TD. Looks more impactful than Rice or Ross so far. Also caught a long one out of the slot to get them down there.
He is a reliable receiver who I think ends up leading the group at the end of season. Of course that may jut be 800 yards.

I disagree about Shaheed and was extremely impressed what he accomplished coming from a small school and missing training camp. He showed not only deep speed and the ability to make the big play, but nice route running acumen for a rookie.

Waldman breaking down Rashid

Users who are viewing this thread