What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (2 Viewers)

Ivan Boesky, 87. Wall Street investor convicted for insider trading in the 1980s.

The Detroit native was the Inspiration for the Gordon Gecko character in Wall Street. Once gave an address at UC-Berkeley in which he stated:

“I think greed is healthy. You can be greedy and still feel good about yourself."

Not quite as catchy as Greed is good but same sentiment.

After he was convicted of insider trading (& as an informer for the Feds took down junk bond guru Michael Milken), he paid a fine of $100M and served 3-1/2 years at a minimum security prison.

When his ultra wealthy wife divorced him in 1991, he received a settlement of $23M and a $180K stipend for life.

Back when I used to comb through record shops, it seemed like this album was in every store.

Per wiki:

The In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album peaked at number 4 on the Billboard albums chart. It sold more than eight million copies within its first year of release, outselling every record in the history of recorded music to that time, and achieved worldwide sales of over 30 million copies. It was the biggest selling album for the year 1969 in the US. For a number of years it was the biggest selling item in Atlantic Records' catalogue. It was officially certified a Gold album in 1968 in the United States, then on January 26, 1993, it was certified 4× Platinum.

Immortalized here by the Simpsons:

Last edited:
Back when I used to comb through record shops, it seemed like this album was in every store.

Per wiki:

The In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album peaked at number 4 on the Billboard albums chart. It sold more than eight million copies within its first year of release, outselling every record in the history of recorded music to that time, and achieved worldwide sales of over 30 million copies. It was the biggest selling album for the year 1969 in the US. For a number of years it was the biggest selling item in Atlantic Records' catalogue. It was officially certified a Gold album in 1968 in the United States, then on January 26, 1993, it was certified 4× Platinum.

Immortalized here by the Simpsons:

It was the go-to album for stoners before Dark Side of the Moon.

RIP Richard M. Sherman

The older brother of the very prolific song writing duo for Disney, penning classics "It's a Small World(After all), along with music for movies Mary Poppins, The Sword in the Stone, The Jungle Book, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Charlotte's Web, among others.

RIP Richard M. Sherman

The older brother of the very prolific song writing duo for Disney, penning classics "It's a Small World(After all), along with music for movies Mary Poppins, The Sword in the Stone, The Jungle Book, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Charlotte's Web, among others.

I responded to Hastur’s post with a heart because I adore Sherman’s work. I’m not afraid to admit that several of his songs bring me tears. I can’t listen to Feed the Birds without ugly crying. I Wanna Be Like You and Bear Necessities are songs written across my heart because of the times me and my kids sang them together.

Bill Walton :crying:

Had no idea he was that sick.

Oh man....what a colorful character. His 30/30 was terrific if you haven't watched it.
I’ve had that 30/30 on my DVR for some time - now gives me an incentive to watch it ASAP.

A bit ironic that Bill left us just as the Pac-12 officially ended its existence two days ago with the conference baseball championship.

ETA: I see TLEF just said it above - my bad

Last edited:
I rarely post here but this one hurts.

To say I was obsessed with the Celtics as a kid would have been a ridiculous understatement. What ever higher power granted Walton's broken body to function in 85/86 gave me memories that I will take to my grave.

There is a real chance I never see that style of team basketball again played at a quality level that was near bliss to watch.

I always thought LHUCKS might be a relative, lol. They were the only two guys who were always doing the “Conference of Champions” shtick.

Ugh, Walton hurts. I know if he was doing the game for YOUR team the schtick could be a little tiresome....but as a neutral, I always got such a kick out of watching him call a game.

Fitting (and sad) that he goes so quickly after the end of the PAC10.

I always kind of divorced Bill Walton the announcer from the player who led the The Walton Gang. He was such a gifted center in college - elite defense, perfect box out rebounder, deft passer, that 21 for 22 shooting Championship game was unbelievable. When I was in junior high I thought as an amateur he was already better than Wilt or Kareem.

Couldn’t stay healthy as a pro. Still, led one of the best Finals upsets ever and was MVP the next season; later was a key Celtics sub on another title run, almost a decade later. It was nowhere near what people expected him to accomplish but still a worthy HoFer.

Freshman weren’t eligible when he came to UCLA (his frosh team went 20-0), but they won the first 73 college games he played. That Notre Dame loss was one of the most shocking games I ever saw. Up 70-59 with 4 minutes left, they missed their last 6 shots and had 4 turnovers; Dwight Clay hit the jumper that broke the 88 game win streak.

As an announcer he could be a bit much. Never bothered me too much, I loved the guy who got arrested protesting the Vietnam War and got stoned for three days at the base of the pyramids watching the Grateful Dead.

One of a kind man. Rest easy, big fella.

ETA word

Last edited:
I rarely post here but this one hurts.

To say I was obsessed with the Celtics as a kid would have been a ridiculous understatement. What ever higher power granted Walton's broken body to function in 85/86 gave me memories that I will take to my grave.

There is a real chance I never see that style of team basketball again played at a quality level that was near bliss to watch.
I was going to HS in L.A. in the early/mid ‘80s and like everyone else, I was obsessed with the Showtime Lakers. Of course, I hated Walton and all the Celtics cronies with a passion, but always had a ton of respect for them.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Classic Walton college game for the ages. You know the one.

EDIT: Some quick highlights from the 1977 Blazers NBA title, and Jack Ramsay's contemporary tribute.

• Thanks
It was prostate cancer. I didn't (and, really, still don't) know much about it, but since I'm getting long in the tooth, this kind of stuff gets my attention. Here's a pretty good web page all about prostate cancer. I see my PCP about every six months and I get a blood draw before each time. But I have never had a PSA test. I think I'll pass on the digital rectal exam in November, but I will specifically request the PSA on my next blood draw. Especially since there are few, if any, symptoms early on.

His wife, Lori Walton, said if she wasn't a music fan, it would be difficult to be married to Walton "because so much of our life is surrounded by the Dead." She recalled to The San Diego Union-Tribune the two first met at a Grateful Dead concert, though their version of events are different.

"This is mine: 'We met backstage at a Dead concert,'" Lori Walton said. "Bill's version is: 'We met at church.' But I think it's because he considers the Dead concerts to be church! My mom read once that we met at church. She phoned me to say she was so happy I'd met Bill at church. I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth."

Wow, I didn't know he had been ill. My dad's favorite player of all time. I only knew hIs game as a role player for the '86 Celtics. He saw Walton play multiple times at Pauley Pavillion and said he was the best he'd ever seen next to Lew Alcindor. RIP

• Love

Oh man....what a colorful character. His 30/30 was terrific if you haven't watched it.
Changed how I felt about him.

As a kid growing up in Milwaukee and attending the occasional Bucks v. Celtics matchup, I often joined the crowd in heckling Walton every chance we had. I was maybe 10 or 11 years old, so I was just doing what everyone else was. Thing is, I continued to be meh towardsWalton as I got older, never being one for his sideline commentary talent. And I knew full well he was a Deadhead. I didn't like him, but never knew really why.

I had a sneaking suspicion I misread him completely and the 30/30 changed how I feel/felt about him. Helluva person. Family man, hard worker, no complaints, glass always half full, knows how to be happy. I can only hope for half as much for my kids. That's why this one hurts a bit. He was too young. The world needs more Bill Waltons.

RIP Bill Walton.

Changed how I felt about him.

As a kid growing up in Milwaukee and attending the occasional Bucks v. Celtics matchup, I often joined the crowd in heckling Walton every chance we had. I was maybe 10 or 11 years old, so I was just doing what everyone else was. Thing is, I continued to be meh towardsWalton as I got older, never being one for his sideline commentary talent. And I knew full well he was a Deadhead. I didn't like him, but never knew really why.

I had a sneaking suspicion I misread him completely and the 30/30 changed how I feel/felt about him. Helluva person. Family man, hard worker, no complaints, glass always half full, knows how to be happy. I can only hope for half as much for my kids. That's why this one hurts a bit. He was too young. The world needs more Bill Waltons.

RIP Bill Walton.
Well said. He was a little annoying as a commentator but also had a way of pulling you in. They don’t make them like that anymore and that just plain sucks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread