What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A player you feel "sorry" for. . . (1 Viewer)

pinequick

Footballguy
Maybe he's a QB that you think has a shot to be a good one, but he's got no O-line. Maybe he's a RB who you think would be good, but he just can't seem to be healthy. I know that there is no *true* "feeling sorry" for a bunch of guys who get paid to play a game we all love, but. . .Is there a player out there that you pull for, but just seems to not have been able to shine yet, for whatever reason?

Maybe he's a QB that you think has a shot to be a good one, but he's got no O-line. Maybe he's a RB who you think would be good, but he just can't seem to be healthy. I know that there is no *true* "feeling sorry" for a bunch of guys who get paid to play a game we all love, but. . .

Is there a player out there that you pull for, but just seems to not have been able to shine yet, for whatever reason?
. . . and why?

Nick Goings for Carolina.The kid was a big-time high school football player in Central Ohio, but he never got much of a shot at Ohio St. transferred to Pitt and was not a star there and was undrafted. He has done everything the Panthers have asked of him (special teams, FB, etc.) and even had 5 100 yard games last year. After all of that he came back as a fourth teamer in camp. I have never heard him complain or beg for the ball and a shot. He is the epitome of a role player, and it would be cool to see him have a huge game this weekend.

Maybe he's a QB that you think has a shot to be a good one, but he's got no O-line.  Maybe he's a RB who you think would be good, but he just can't seem to be healthy.  I know that there is no *true* "feeling sorry" for a bunch of guys who get paid to play a game we all love, but. . .

Is there a player out there that you pull for, but just seems to not have been able to shine yet, for whatever reason?
. . . and why?
Ok, then Fred Lane because she just won't listen.

dan fouts

charlie joiner

chuck muncie

kellen winslow
Got to love them CHARGERS!!!!
Nick Goings for Carolina.

The kid was a big-time high school football player in Central Ohio, but he never got much of a shot at Ohio St. transferred to Pitt and was not a star there and was undrafted. He has done everything the Panthers have asked of him (special teams, FB, etc.) and even had 5 100 yard games last year. After all of that he came back as a fourth teamer in camp. I have never heard him complain or beg for the ball and a shot. He is the epitome of a role player, and it would be cool to see him have a huge game this weekend.
Good call. He is an underrated HB and helped revive the 2004 playoffs hopes. And here he is again asked to come up big in the playoffs.If he has a big game (hope he does) they need to seriously consider this guy as the man there...

I feel sorry for Terrell Owens. I mean, how can a guy support his family with only a 49mil contract.

dan fouts

charlie joiner

chuck muncie

kellen winslow

The kid was a big-time high school football player in Central Ohio, but he never got much of a shot at Ohio St. transferred to Pitt and was not a star there and was undrafted. He has done everything the Panthers have asked of him (special teams, FB, etc.) and even had 5 100 yard games last year. After all of that he came back as a fourth teamer in camp. I have never heard him complain or beg for the ball and a shot. He is the epitome of a role player, and it would be cool to see him have a huge game this weekend.
Good call. He is an underrated HB and helped revive the 2004 playoffs hopes. And here he is again asked to come up big in the playoffs.If he has a big game (hope he does) they need to seriously consider this guy as the man there...
I think he should announce he is holding out Sunday until his contract is renegotiated. :D

dan fouts

charlie joiner

chuck muncie

kellen winslow

The kid was a big-time high school football player in Central Ohio, but he never got much of a shot at Ohio St. transferred to Pitt and was not a star there and was undrafted.  He has done everything the Panthers have asked of him (special teams, FB, etc.) and even had 5 100 yard games last year.  After all of that he came back as a fourth teamer in camp.  I have never heard him complain or beg for the ball and a shot.  He is the epitome of a role player, and it would be cool to see him have a huge game this weekend.
I think he should announce he is holding out Sunday until his contract is renegotiated. :D
Is drew R his agent? if so he just might!

Dan Marino...Even though I was very small at that time, I have heard that if he was given a little something more to work with he could have had his SuperBowl ring.The only reason the man isn't topping every Best QB Ever list is because of a ring... and that really sucks.

I feel bad for Owens. He got a bum rap in the media because he doesn't communicate well, he got bad advice on his contract and worse advice on how to renegotiate his contract, and he lost a year of his career to a coach in a pissing match that ruined both of their seasons. Yeah, maybe he's immature, but someday when he grows up, he's going to realize what he squandered.

I feel bad for Trent Dilfer, who is the guy they compare bad quarterbacks to. Look, this guy's not that great, but hey, the Ravens won with Trent Dilfer.

And I can't remember which one it was, but didn't Manning used to circle the butt sweat on one of the Cowboys' offensive linemen every time they played?

I feel bad for Owens. He got a bum rap in the media because he doesn't communicate well, he got bad advice on his contract and worse advice on how to renegotiate his contract, and he lost a year of his career to a coach in a pissing match that ruined both of their seasons. Yeah, maybe he's immature, but someday when he grows up, he's going to realize what he squandered.

I feel bad for Trent Dilfer, who is the guy they compare bad quarterbacks to. Look, this guy's not that great, but hey, the Ravens won with Trent Dilfer.

And I can't remember which one it was, but didn't Manning used to circle the butt sweat on one of the Cowboys' offensive linemen every time they played?
I've heard rumors--maybe Manning does swing that way??I know Madden did it--and it was to all of them. Larry Allen, Erik Williams, Nate Newton. He used to have a "contest" to see how far down their legs it would get by the end of the game.

From the history channel (I didn't remember the name)

In the famous Ice Bowl between the Packers and Cowboys, for years Jethro Pugh of Dallas was blamed for lining up too high on the Defensive line allowing jerry Kramer to get under him and drive him back so that Green Bay could score and win on the goal line stand. Years later, films revealed, it was Kramer who was offsides and in a missed call, it was Pugh who was drawn out of his stance early,

causing the early block by Kramer.

Had the official been on the ball, and the offsides called, Dallas would have most certainly won the NFL championship game that year. Pugh would have been vindicated.
David Carr - guy gets blamed a lot, but can't even get a pass off.Scott Norwood - 'nuff said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess someone has to say Greg Cook.Great athlete, with limitless potential, coming off an amazing record setting rookie season with Cincy injures his shoulder and he's done. I've never heard of anyone that watched him play that didn't think he was on his way to being one of the greatest QBs ever. I hope we aren't saying basically the same thing about Palmer in 10 years.

Lee Suggs. He got hurt just before the draft which hurt his value and has gotten hurt just before or during each and every one of his opportunities to take the starting job over the course of two years. When he finally returns healthy, Droughns has won the position.

Curtis Martin.The guy has been a class act/warrior his whole career, and has had to endure an utterly mismanaged franchise.And if Mangini turns out to be a good one, he won't be around to be a part of it.

P. Manning. If he thinks his line didn't block against the steelers, after bashing them I can't wait for next year when Payton is hoping for protection :P

Todd FranceKeeps doing well and keeps getting cut.He just signed with an arena league team. I would have guessed he'd likely play in NFLE where he set records last year but do their schedules conflict? I **think** he can do one then the other. If so then this guy that rarely misses kicks will probably get invited to an NFL training camp and will have played for a year and half with precious little break and an insane amount of travelling.

This one is hard to believe..but I feel bad for Joey Harrington.The guy has really got a raw deal from the Lions. Possibly the worst O-Line in the NFL. No Wrs at all his first 2 years, then the 3 divas the next two. Being a Detroit homer I have "NEVER" once heard Harrington blame anybody after a game, never blamed the O-lIne, the WRs who led the league in drops for 2 straight years, the play calling..nothing! Siragosa rips him on National TV as a wine drinker in a beer league. The guy may not be what he was supposed to be but I have grown to respect him as a man.

Terrel DavisI hate few others like I hate the Broncos, but I gotta tell ya, I think we all missed out on something special when injuries cut TD's career way short. There have been some solid backs since Davis retired, but none with the explosive and consistency of Davis. If he could have stayed healthy, I think he could have been really special. Bo Jackson is a close second for similar reasons.Honorary mention: Jim Plunkett - what, couldn't get the guy a helmet that fit.

Robert Edwards
:goodposting:
Terrell Davis

I hate few others like I hate the Broncos, but I gotta tell ya, I think we all missed out on something special when injuries cut TD's career way short. There have been some solid backs since Davis retired, but none with the explosive and consistency of Davis. If he could have stayed healthy, I think he could have been really special.
:goodposting: He is the first person that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread.

He was the starting QB on a team with a crap coach whose pass protection almost got him killed. A new coach came in and signed a retread veteran QB to take his starting spot, then traded a high draft pick to draft a rookie QB to push him further out of the team's future. And that coach refused to trade him, kept him on the team although he had no future there.Patrick Ramsey

Brett Farve...he deserves better.. he is my favorite QB (besides Big Ben)...i wish the best of luck for him on and off the field

I guess someone has to say Greg Cook.

Great athlete, with limitless potential, coming off an amazing record setting rookie season with Cincy injures his shoulder and he's done. I've never heard of anyone that watched him play that didn't think he was on his way to being one of the greatest QBs ever.

I hope we aren't saying basically the same thing about Palmer in 10 years.
Who the hell is Greg Cook? What year did he play?Mine is Joe Delaney. Was a star in the making and died saving a couple of kids from drowning.

J. Walker. This year was a contract year and the ACL injury could have cost him millions of dollars. Now I know people will say he is making more then enough money already, but anytime an injury could cost someone lots of money you have to somewhat feel sorry for them.

J. Walker. This year was a contract year and the ACL injury could have cost him millions of dollars. Now I know people will say he is making more then enough money already, but anytime an injury could cost someone lots of money you have to somewhat feel sorry for them.
Last time I checked, Walker is signed through 2006. LINKAt the end of this upcoming season will be his contract year.

I don't feel sorry for a guy that held out for more money after one good season.

Dan Marino...

Even though I was very small at that time, I have heard that if he was given a little something more to work with he could have had his SuperBowl ring.

The only reason the man isn't topping every Best QB Ever list is because of a ring... and that really sucks.
People say that, but it's not true. His WRs had 10 pro-bowl seasons before Elway had a single pro-bowl WR.Marino had plenty of talent around him. He just never won a superbowl. There's nothing wrong with that- theoretically, all things being equal, each team should win the superbowl once every 32 years. And that's if no teams win multiple times. There have been a ton of stellar athletes who never won a superbowl.

Brandon Lloyd
I can't feel sorry for the man responsible for this.Who do I feel sorry for? Doug Flutie. Seriously, nobody has gotten a rawer deal. Everywhere he's gone, he's been a winner. He's done nothing but come in and provide a massive spark to a struggling franchise... and every time, he's been rewarded with a spot on the bench because he's "too short" or "not a prototypical passer". Who cares? Joey Harrington is a prototypical passer, and his team overlooks failure after failure because of it, while Flutie gets shown the door after success after success. I firmly believe that if some coach had said to Flutie in his first or second year "You know what? You aren't the prototypical passer... and that's fine with me. We're going to give you a shot. We're going to make you 'our guy' and stand by you and let you carry this franchise", I firmly believe that Flutie would have a very storied career, and would possibly even be getting serious hall-of-fame consideration now. Instead, he's going to forever be known for nothing more than the Boston College hail-mary and the dropkick to end his career.

Ken Hamlin.........without a doubt.The guy gets his head kicked in and beat up on with a traffic sign and now may never play football again.

Perfectly said.

Marty BookerHe put up two very nice seasons with the Bears and became a favorite of mine only to lose 2003 to a nasty high ankle sprain, 2004 to the black hole that was the Dolphins O, and 2005 to Frerotte's inability to look at his side of the field very much. I'm rooting for him to stick around Miami next year and shock everyone who has pretty much forgotten about him by now.ETA: It does go beyond this with Booker for me, though. I admire that he was pissed off at the Bears for trading him because he wanted to be the type of guy who stayed there for his whole career. I also admire that he wasn't particularly happy in Miami at first because his pregnant wife couldn't fly down to be with him. That second thing gave him an unfair bad rap with a lot of my fellow Dolphins fans that I just don't get. I wish they would consider how they'd feel if their company transferred them with like one day notice to an office 1000 miles away.

Users who are viewing this thread