What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anarchy League 4 (1 Viewer)

Lions, Detroit DET TMQB

Saints, New Orleans NOS TMQB

Jones, Julius DAL RB

Harrison, Marvin IND WR

Heap, Todd BAL TE

Very happy that I got at least one TE stud along with two very good team QB's. I'm amazed so many RB's got taken considering the format is so harsh against them. Since it's a total points league it seems awful taking almost any RB after the first six or so unless you think the top 10 is going to go up significantly overall.

Lions, Detroit DET TMQB Saints, New Orleans NOS TMQB Jones, Julius DAL RB Harrison, Marvin IND WR Heap, Todd BAL TE Very happy that I got at least one TE stud along with two very good team QB's. I'm amazed so many RB's got taken considering the format is so harsh against them. Since it's a total points league it seems awful taking almost any RB after the first six or so unless you think the top 10 is going to go up significantly overall.
You're right not to reach for RBs, but if JJ loses his job to MBIII, you could be in trouble. That said, I dig your team so far.

Seahawks, Seattle SEA TMQB

Addai, Joseph IND RB

Jacobs, Brandon NYG RB

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR

Smith, Steve CAR WR

McMichael, Randy STL TE

I don't really know what to think about my team. It seems like everytime my pick came up that the 2 or 3 players I was looking at drafting went right before my pick and it just happened again in the 6th round. I really only have 2 players that look like they will be playing in the post season. I am hoping Carolina & St Louis can turn it around and make the playoffs.

Lions, Detroit DET TMQB Saints, New Orleans NOS TMQB Jones, Julius DAL RB Harrison, Marvin IND WR Heap, Todd BAL TE Very happy that I got at least one TE stud along with two very good team QB's. I'm amazed so many RB's got taken considering the format is so harsh against them. Since it's a total points league it seems awful taking almost any RB after the first six or so unless you think the top 10 is going to go up significantly overall.
what about RBs re lineup requirement?

Titans TMQB (Young)

LJohnson

APeterson

Wayne

Housh

Clayton

This is what I have so far. I was shocked when LJ fell to me at 13. Obviously, a drop could be expected for him, but all the way to 13? WOW! Of course, if he holds out into the regular season, then I am just about done from the start.

I assume you are questioning whether it is smart to let RBs slide given 4 must start. Consider these cases from league 3 last year.The 2nd place finisher had these 4 RBs: Michael Turner, Tony Fisher, Maurice Morris, and Antowain Smith, all drafted 12th round or later. He got a total of only 159 fantasy points from the RB position, yet his team scored 3066.The 4th place finisher drafted Mike Bell in the 9th, Henry in the 14th, Davenport in the 17th, and William Green in the 18th. He got almost 360 points from the RB position and scored 2912 overall.RBs just aren't as important due to the scoring and lineup rules. It is important to note it isn't just the scoring. The lineup rules are very important. Because all QBs, TEs, Ks, and Defenses start, there is a much bigger spread than usual at those positions, making them each potentially more valuable than usual.

I assume you are questioning whether it is smart to let RBs slide given 4 must start. Consider these cases from league 3 last year.The 2nd place finisher had these 4 RBs: Michael Turner, Tony Fisher, Maurice Morris, and Antowain Smith, all drafted 12th round or later. He got a total of only 159 fantasy points from the RB position, yet his team scored 3066.The 4th place finisher drafted Mike Bell in the 9th, Henry in the 14th, Davenport in the 17th, and William Green in the 18th. He got almost 360 points from the RB position and scored 2912 overall.RBs just aren't as important due to the scoring and lineup rules. It is important to note it isn't just the scoring. The lineup rules are very important. Because all QBs, TEs, Ks, and Defenses start, there is a much bigger spread than usual at those positions, making them each potentially more valuable than usual.
I hear yaI was wonderring as this draft progresses though if RBs will be ignored/downgraded too much and inadvertently create a value.Interesting thoughts this league stirs up .I wouldn't mind drafting twice really, something about the difference here makes me think it would be much different yet again, the second time.

Titans TMQB (Young)LJohnsonAPetersonWayneHoushClaytonThis is what I have so far. I was shocked when LJ fell to me at 13. Obviously, a drop could be expected for him, but all the way to 13? WOW! Of course, if he holds out into the regular season, then I am just about done from the start.
Young could be a steal for you.Re LJ it's interesting every now and then how much of an impression this board has on people.

Draft so far:

RB Travis Henry

RB Deuce McAllister

RB Ahman Green

RB LenDale White

WR Hines Ward

WR Deion Branch

TE Heath Miller

I've never played in one of these leagues before, but looking at the setup of the league led me to the conclusion that hoarding RBs might be the best strategy assuming you can pick the right guys. I feel like I got four pretty good ones here. If they all play like they're capable of playing, I'll be putting a lot of points into teams in the RB2, RB3, and RB4 slots.

I've got some catching up to do at the other positions, but I think it's easier to find sleepers at every other position than RB.

This is a fun league setup. The only thing I don't like is the fact that playoff games count towards the scoring. IMO, that adds a pretty big luck factor. Because while you can somewhat predict whether or not a team has realistic playoff chances, the number of playoff games they play is virtually impossible to predict.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that playoff games count towards the scoring. IMO, that adds a pretty big luck factor. Because while you can somewhat predict whether or not a team has realistic playoff chances, the number of playoff games they play is virtually impossible to predict.
Thus the potential allure to go after some guys and ignore others. The best values will be guys that fall because they play on mediocre teams but then they make a playoff run and pay out double--they outperformed their projected numbers to get to the playoffs and then they have the benefit of playing extra games.What I DON'T like is the luck factor in terms of injuries. If a team has a handful of guys go on IR early in the season that team is DOA. But every team has the same chance of having injuries, so I guess that's the luck of the draw.

EBF said:
The only thing I don't like is the fact that playoff games count towards the scoring. IMO, that adds a pretty big luck factor. Because while you can somewhat predict whether or not a team has realistic playoff chances, the number of playoff games they play is virtually impossible to predict.
It's different, I don't not like it, it's just different for me.I think Peyton was a very good and safe pick for me in round 1 the way this league has high scoring QBs and I figure he is a "lock" for the playoffs.With my most recent pick, I was pretty torn between guys that probably won't make the playoffs. It's tricky and I kinda like that strategy part of it.I don't think you need a whole roster of playoff players so there's no need to pretend you do.

EBF said:
This is a fun league setup. The only thing I don't like is the fact that playoff games count towards the scoring. IMO, that adds a pretty big luck factor. Because while you can somewhat predict whether or not a team has realistic playoff chances, the number of playoff games they play is virtually impossible to predict.
This is the only reason I took Addai in the first round other then Manning and Gates were already gone.

woot I timed out! I rule!

Sorry guys, thought I predrafted, but I guess I forgot. Sent a replacement pick and predrafted for the next 2 rounds.

Titans TMQB (Young)LJohnsonAPetersonWayneHoushClaytonThis is what I have so far. I was shocked when LJ fell to me at 13. Obviously, a drop could be expected for him, but all the way to 13? WOW! Of course, if he holds out into the regular season, then I am just about done from the start.
Here is the updates squad-QB- Tenn, ChiRB- LJ, AD, Peterson (CHI)WR- Wayne, Housh, Clayton, MarshallTE- Olsen, Scheffler

I'm relatively happy with my draft so far. The only surprise has been the huge run on QBs. I had QB pegged as one of the lowest priority positions given that the difference between the top scorers and the bottom feeders is relatively small and that the format guarantees every team two starters no matter what. Needless to say, I was surprised to see so many passers getting picked so early. We'll see how that works out.

This is a really challenging format. Usually the late rounds are a bit of a bore, but the huge starting requirements make every pick important here. I like that. I think it allows skilled owners to establish a bigger than normal advantage over the competition.

I'm relatively happy with my draft so far. The only surprise has been the huge run on QBs. I had QB pegged as one of the lowest priority positions given that the difference between the top scorers and the bottom feeders is relatively small and that the format guarantees every team two starters no matter what. Needless to say, I was surprised to see so many passers getting picked so early. We'll see how that works out. This is a really challenging format. Usually the late rounds are a bit of a bore, but the huge starting requirements make every pick important here. I like that. I think it allows skilled owners to establish a bigger than normal advantage over the competition.
With regard to QBs, there can be a very steep dropoff at the bottom (there was last year). So it pays to avoid having one of the few worst team QBs. Now, it can obviously be hard to predict who those might be this year... which adds a bit more value to the better team QBs.For example, I could imagine not wanting to get stuck with Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota, or Atlanta this year (no particular order). To ensure that requires you to pick your first QB early enough to ensure you can take your second if a run starts and not get stuck with one of the bottom feeders.Now, I know many would disagree with that, but I think that kind of thinking contributes to the results you mention.

I'm relatively happy with my draft so far. The only surprise has been the huge run on QBs. I had QB pegged as one of the lowest priority positions given that the difference between the top scorers and the bottom feeders is relatively small and that the format guarantees every team two starters no matter what. Needless to say, I was surprised to see so many passers getting picked so early. We'll see how that works out. This is a really challenging format. Usually the late rounds are a bit of a bore, but the huge starting requirements make every pick important here. I like that. I think it allows skilled owners to establish a bigger than normal advantage over the competition.
With regard to QBs, there can be a very steep dropoff at the bottom (there was last year). So it pays to avoid having one of the few worst team QBs. Now, it can obviously be hard to predict who those might be this year... which adds a bit more value to the better team QBs.For example, I could imagine not wanting to get stuck with Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota, or Atlanta this year (no particular order). To ensure that requires you to pick your first QB early enough to ensure you can take your second if a run starts and not get stuck with one of the bottom feeders.Now, I know many would disagree with that, but I think that kind of thinking contributes to the results you mention.
Looking at last year in this league the winner started the Jets & Vikings TMQB and they did not do that good eventhrough he started 3 good TE's. So it looks like the better TE's you have the better you will finish.

I'm relatively happy with my draft so far. The only surprise has been the huge run on QBs. I had QB pegged as one of the lowest priority positions given that the difference between the top scorers and the bottom feeders is relatively small and that the format guarantees every team two starters no matter what. Needless to say, I was surprised to see so many passers getting picked so early. We'll see how that works out.

This is a really challenging format. Usually the late rounds are a bit of a bore, but the huge starting requirements make every pick important here. I like that. I think it allows skilled owners to establish a bigger than normal advantage over the competition.
With regard to QBs, there can be a very steep dropoff at the bottom (there was last year). So it pays to avoid having one of the few worst team QBs. Now, it can obviously be hard to predict who those might be this year... which adds a bit more value to the better team QBs.For example, I could imagine not wanting to get stuck with Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota, or Atlanta this year (no particular order). To ensure that requires you to pick your first QB early enough to ensure you can take your second if a run starts and not get stuck with one of the bottom feeders.

Now, I know many would disagree with that, but I think that kind of thinking contributes to the results you mention.
Looking at last year in this league the winner started the Jets & Vikings TMQB and they did not do that good eventhrough he started 3 good TE's. So it looks like the better TE's you have the better you will finish.
Uh oh, :goodposting: (Olsen/Scheffler owner)

the better TE's you have the better you will finish.
It couldn't hurt considering that the #10 TE had more points than the #10 RB last year in this format. Going TE-TE-X (even TE#3) seems like a very viable strategy, especially if you had enough people ignoring them. Still this scoring system seems pretty balanced for a total point league, so it allows for a lot of flexibility in who / what teams you end up taking.

the better TE's you have the better you will finish.
It couldn't hurt considering that the #10 TE had more points than the #10 RB last year in this format. Going TE-TE-X (even TE#3) seems like a very viable strategy, especially if you had enough people ignoring them. Still this scoring system seems pretty balanced for a total point league, so it allows for a lot of flexibility in who / what teams you end up taking.
:yes: 32 TEs must be picked.

Big Blue is taking too long but everytime I look to see just how long, I see his uploaded pic and I just don't care anymore. GB Giants fans like that

Guys - I've pre-drafted my 17.16 & 18.01 picks, but there are a bunch of people ahead of me. I'm going to be gone for most of the day, so if all of my pre-drafts get selected, I'll be on the clock with no picks. Hopefully Yudkin will read this - if so, David I still need a PK and a RB, so if my pre-drafts are selected, please pick a good RB & PK for me. Thanks, HELLFIRE.

I ran out of picks, I goofed.

I was clicking "submit lineup" and checking like "OK I need 2-3 TEs, 4-5 RBs, 5-6 WRs" etc and...well I'll be short a D or a PK.

Otherwise, I like my team.

Fun draft, thanks for this David. Thanks for weeding thru all the beginning stuff to, to get this rolling.

Player YTD Pts Bye

Cardinals, Arizona ARI TMQB - 8

Colts, Indianapolis IND TMQB - 6

Jones-Drew, Maurice JAC RB - 4

Lewis, Jamal CLE RB - 7

Morris, Sammy NEP RB - 10

Rhodes, Dominic OAK RB - 5

Boldin, Anquan ARI WR - 8

Edwards, Braylon CLE WR - 7

Jennings, Greg GBP WR - 7

Jones, Jacoby HOU WR - 10

Jones, James GBP WR - 7

Walker, Mike JAC WR - 4

Crumpler, Alge ATL TE - 8

Shiancoe, Vishante MIN TE - 5

Thomas, Dave NEP TE - 10

Brown, Josh SEA PK - 8

Cowboys, Dallas DAL Def - 8

I think the Packers and Cards squeek into the playoffs. The Packers D I like alot and think Favre can win plenty if they keep em' close and they should. I think the Cards get in like Peyton's Colts of years ago, outscoring teams largely on offensive production.

Dave Thomas did pretty well late in the season last year so I'm hoping he improves upon that. If so, he should cover any playoff TE worries.

I can't make up my mind on the Seahawks changes but I like Brown plenty.

I took a risk one of those 3 WR (if not more) will contribute their rookie year.

Rhodes I'm betting was a steal.

I ran out of picks, I goofed.I was clicking "submit lineup" and checking like "OK I need 2-3 TEs, 4-5 RBs, 5-6 WRs" etc and...well I'll be short a D or a PK. Otherwise, I like my team.Fun draft, thanks for this David. Thanks for weeding thru all the beginning stuff to, to get this rolling.
So how does this work? Does Bri get to count all of his skill players? Drop one for a defense after the draft?

I ran out of picks, I goofed.I was clicking "submit lineup" and checking like "OK I need 2-3 TEs, 4-5 RBs, 5-6 WRs" etc and...well I'll be short a D or a PK. Otherwise, I like my team.Fun draft, thanks for this David. Thanks for weeding thru all the beginning stuff to, to get this rolling.
So how does this work? Does Bri get to count all of his skill players? Drop one for a defense after the draft?
I will drop whichever his last pick was that would have been an extra flex player and give him someone to fill his last roster spot.

I also got a little confused by the format. I was under the impression that we had to draft 5 RBs, 6 WRs, and 3 TEs.

Anyhow, it looks like everything got sorted out. Here is my squad:

QB - Jets

QB - Browns

RB - Travis Henry

RB - Deuce McAllister

RB - Ahman Green

RB - LenDale White

WR - Hines Ward

WR - Deion Branch

WR - Ronald Curry

WR - Amani Toomer

WR - Bobby Engram

TE - Heath Miller

TE - Marcedes Lewis

FLEX - Alex Smith (TE)

PK - Nate Kaeding

PK - Ryan Longwell

DEF - Browns

DEF - Lions

Going into the draft, I decided to try to stockpile RBs. The reason I opted for this strategy is because I knew every team would be forced to start 4 RBs. Due to the scarcity of good backs and the large ppg difference between good backs and weak backs, I felt that I could gain an advantage over the competition if I could manage to land 4 top 30 backs. The jury's still out on LenDale White, but Henry, Green, and McAllister should be productive when healthy. Even if White doesn't start for Tennessee, he'll probably score enough to be a decent RB4 in this league.

IMO, TE is the second most important position in this format. I wasn't able to land a stud, but I got three guys who should put some points on the board each week. They all have the talent to outperform their current ranking.

I think I scraped together a decent WR group. Ward seemed like a nice value in the 4th. I wanted Santana Moss in the 5th, but he didn't quite last. Branch is a big step down from Moss, but he should be relatively productive. Curry, Toomer, and Engram will get a lot of playing time for their teams.

I felt that the QB and DEF positions were low priority given the fact that every team was guaranteed two starters and that the difference in scoring between the top options and the bottom options is relatively slim for the most part.

I reached a bit for Kaeding because I think the Chargers will score a lot of points and make the playoffs. Those few extra points should help cover my weakness at QB and DEF.

Overall, this was a tough format. I probably should've adopted more of a BPA approach instead of hoarding one position, but I think it could work out if my RBs deliver. I also think my TEs have some sneaky upside. A breakout year from one or two of those guys would be a major boost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kudos on finishing your draft... in League 3, we are just starting the 12th round. FWIW, here is the Draft Dominator's view of the results of League 4's draft:

Team Points VBDBrowncos 2747 1477Torn Tendons 2651.7 1347Brewzers 2649.3 1344Bucketheads 2633.3 1327Eggy's Booze Hounds 2615.3 1309Hoosier Daddies 2607.6 1335Yudkin Visits League 4 2599.7 1292Blue-Kun 2582.2 1278Diesel Posse 2568.2 1337Bri 2520.1 1215BIG BLUE 2494.1 1224EBF 2471 1167Four Horsemen 2448.7 1144Vick in a Box 2408.2 1104Sleeper 43 2337.5 -883Hellfire 2224.1 922Caveats:1. This does not reflect Diesel Posse's last pick, since he is still on the clock, so he'll probably move up a few spots.

2. I made no attempt to change projections from the defaults. Obviously many people will have different projections and thus will feel differently than what is shown by these numbers.

3. We use team QBs, and this reflects only the projected starter for each team. So the numbers are off to varying degrees, depending on how much the DD would project the load to be shared for each team by its other QBs. Probably not a big difference for most teams.

4. DD does not factor in NFL playoff games, and thus those points are not accounted for.

All that said, I think it is as good as any other quick view of the results. Last year, in League 3, it did a reasonable job of predicting... it predicted 7 of the top 8 teams correctly (not in the correct order, but the right teams) and correctly predicted the league winner.

One thing most of the top several teams have in common - they did not draft more than 2-3 RBs in the first several rounds.

I also got a little confused by the format. I was under the impression that we had to draft 5 RBs, 6 WRs, and 3 TEs. Anyhow, it looks like everything got sorted out. Here is my squad:QB - JetsQB - BrownsRB - Travis HenryRB - Deuce McAllisterRB - Ahman GreenRB - LenDale WhiteWR - Hines WardWR - Deion BranchWR - Ronald CurryWR - Amani ToomerWR - Bobby EngramTE - Heath MillerTE - Marcedes LewisFLEX - Alex Smith (TE)PK - Nate KaedingPK - Ryan LongwellDEF - BrownsDEF - Lions Going into the draft, I decided to try to stockpile RBs. The reason I opted for this strategy is because I knew every team would be forced to start 4 RBs. Due to the scarcity of good backs and the large ppg difference between good backs and weak backs, I felt that I could gain an advantage over the competition if I could manage to land 4 top 30 backs. The jury's still out on LenDale White, but Henry, Green, and McAllister should be productive when healthy. Even if White doesn't start for Tennessee, he'll probably score enough to be a decent RB4 in this league. IMO, TE is the second most important position in this format. I wasn't able to land a stud, but I got three guys who should put some points on the board each week. They all have the talent to outperform their current ranking. I think I scraped together a decent WR group. Ward seemed like a nice value in the 4th. I wanted Santana Moss in the 5th, but he didn't quite last. Branch is a big step down from Moss, but he should be relatively productive. Curry, Toomer, and Engram will get a lot of playing time for their teams. I felt that the QB and DEF positions were low priority given the fact that every team was guaranteed two starters and that the difference in scoring between the top options and the bottom options is relatively slim for the most part. I reached a bit for Kaeding because I think the Chargers will score a lot of points and make the playoffs. Those few extra points should help cover my weakness at QB and DEF.Overall, this was a tough format. I probably should've adopted more of a BPA approach instead of hoarding one position, but I think it could work out if my RBs deliver. I also think my TEs have some sneaky upside. A breakout year from one or two of those guys would be a major boost.
Are you saying TE is second most important because you think RB is most important? If so, I think you are off base on RB value in this format, as shown by my last post. I agree TEs are very important. I don't think you have to go TE-TE out of the gate (though that is certainly a viable strategy), but I think it is important to get 2 top 10-12 TEs if at all possible.Regarding QB being low priority, 9 of the top 20 scorers last season were QBs (along with 4 RBs, 3 WRs, 2 TEs, and 2 Defenses). QB is the highest scoring position. It is a total points league, so I don't get why people seem to think waiting on the highest scoring position is appropriate. Also, by waiting, you probably guarantee yourself of getting QBs who won't make the playoffs... but it is QB who can help you the most in the playoffs. :excited:

Chiefs, Kansas City KCC TMQB - 8

Seahawks, Seattle SEA TMQB - 8

Addai, Joseph IND RB - 6

Bennett, Michael KCC RB - 8

Henry, Chris TEN RB - 4

Jacobs, Brandon NYG RB - 9

Bennett, Drew STL WR - 9

Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR - 8

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR - 8

Henry, Chris CIN WR - 5

Horn, Joe ATL WR - 8

Smith, Steve CAR WR - 7

Daniels, Owen HOU TE - 10

McMichael, Randy STL TE - 9

Gould, Robbie CHI PK - 9

Vinatieri, Adam IND PK - 6

Patriots, New England NEP Def - 10

Steelers, Pittsburgh PIT Def - 6

I used DD for this draft except for Kicker and Def. I wanted 2 Kickers & 2 Def's that were going to be in the playoffs to get the maximum value out of both positions.

I really want Gates but he went right before me in round 1. I really wanted to be able to start 3 TE's but it seemed every time I was thinking I could draft a top TE he was gone by the time my pick came up.

QB - Once there was only 4 or 5 left I decided to just wait until the last round to draft my 2nd QB. I wanted Manning in the 1st but he went right before my pick.

I hope the Chris Henry pick pays off since he will be out the 1st 8 games but I drafted him because I did not really like any of the other WR's that were still there.

It will be interesting to see how this comes out.

Like many of my leaguemates, this was the first time I had ever played in an Anarchy League and I too was thrown off by the format/scoring. I do enjoy trying my hand at different type of league though.

Overall, I like my team but it has already been pointed out the importance of TEs in these leagues and mine may be the worst in the league. With some bad luck, I may not even have a starting TE. I do like every other spot on my team. I balanced trying to grab guys that would likely make the playoffs and at the same time take advantage of guys that fell due to them playing for a non-playoff team.

QB- Titans (Young), Bears (Grossman)

RB- LJohnson, APeterson, APeterson (CHI), MBell

WR- Wayne, Housh, MaClayton, Marshall, DemWilliams, Ginn

TE- Olsen, Scheffler

K- Reed, Tynes

D- Colts, Saints

I also got a little confused by the format. I was under the impression that we had to draft 5 RBs, 6 WRs, and 3 TEs.

Anyhow, it looks like everything got sorted out. Here is my squad:

QB - Jets

QB - Browns

RB - Travis Henry

RB - Deuce McAllister

RB - Ahman Green

RB - LenDale White

WR - Hines Ward

WR - Deion Branch

WR - Ronald Curry

WR - Amani Toomer

WR - Bobby Engram

TE - Heath Miller

TE - Marcedes Lewis

FLEX - Alex Smith (TE)

PK - Nate Kaeding

PK - Ryan Longwell

DEF - Browns

DEF - Lions

Going into the draft, I decided to try to stockpile RBs. The reason I opted for this strategy is because I knew every team would be forced to start 4 RBs. Due to the scarcity of good backs and the large ppg difference between good backs and weak backs, I felt that I could gain an advantage over the competition if I could manage to land 4 top 30 backs. The jury's still out on LenDale White, but Henry, Green, and McAllister should be productive when healthy. Even if White doesn't start for Tennessee, he'll probably score enough to be a decent RB4 in this league.

IMO, TE is the second most important position in this format. I wasn't able to land a stud, but I got three guys who should put some points on the board each week. They all have the talent to outperform their current ranking.

I think I scraped together a decent WR group. Ward seemed like a nice value in the 4th. I wanted Santana Moss in the 5th, but he didn't quite last. Branch is a big step down from Moss, but he should be relatively productive. Curry, Toomer, and Engram will get a lot of playing time for their teams.

I felt that the QB and DEF positions were low priority given the fact that every team was guaranteed two starters and that the difference in scoring between the top options and the bottom options is relatively slim for the most part.

I reached a bit for Kaeding because I think the Chargers will score a lot of points and make the playoffs. Those few extra points should help cover my weakness at QB and DEF.

Overall, this was a tough format. I probably should've adopted more of a BPA approach instead of hoarding one position, but I think it could work out if my RBs deliver. I also think my TEs have some sneaky upside. A breakout year from one or two of those guys would be a major boost.
Are you saying TE is second most important because you think RB is most important? If so, I think you are off base on RB value in this format, as shown by my last post. I agree TEs are very important. I don't think you have to go TE-TE out of the gate (though that is certainly a viable strategy), but I think it is important to get 2 top 10-12 TEs if at all possible.Regarding QB being low priority, 9 of the top 20 scorers last season were QBs (along with 4 RBs, 3 WRs, 2 TEs, and 2 Defenses). QB is the highest scoring position. It is a total points league, so I don't get why people seem to think waiting on the highest scoring position is appropriate. Also, by waiting, you probably guarantee yourself of getting QBs who won't make the playoffs... but it is QB who can help you the most in the playoffs. :rant:
You might be right. I've never played in this format before.Regarding QBs, the reason I didn't emphasize the position is because the difference between most of the top guys and most of the bottom guys isn't that big. The Bengals QB only scored 6 ppg more than the 49ers QB. I felt the need at other positions was more acute.

That said, I expected the QBs to last a little longer. I was hoping to get a combination like Steelers/Broncos instead of the lesser tandem that I ended up with. Like I said in an earlier post, the run on QBs surprised me. I thought everyone would wait on the position. That's usually how it's gone in most of my FBG leagues.

I tried to hoard RBs because I thought getting four guys who score 10-15 ppg would give me a pretty big advantage over the teams that have to trot out guys like Correll Buckhalter and Michael Pittman each week.

Also, I was confident in my ability to pluck decent TEs and WRs out of the later rounds. But I didn't see many RB sleepers who appeared to have any real chance of posting big numbers. So I decided to address the position early and lock up some guys who have a good chance to produce. (One note here: I thought we had to draft 5 RBs, 6 WRs, and 3 TEs. I thought we were playing 3 TEs to fill 2 spots, which made me value depth over quality slightly more than I would have if I had known that all 3 TEs I drafted would be starting each week).

Next year I would probably try a straight BPA draft with emphasis on TE. I strongly considered Gates at 1.04. In hindsight, he might've been a better pick. But I still think this team can compete if the picks pan out.

I don't really like the playoff aspect of this league. Did it factor into my rankings? Yes, but I think being on a good team only gives a player an extra 10-25% value. So I focused more on drafting good players than on drafting playoff players.

I think I've got a scrappy bunch of players here. I'm a little worried about LenDale White and the QBs, but I expect the rest of these guys to perform pretty well. We'll see how it goes.

Kudos on finishing your draft... in League 3, we are just starting the 12th round. FWIW, here is the Draft Dominator's view of the results of League 4's draft:

Code:
Team					Points  VBDBrowncos				2747	1477Torn Tendons			2651.7  1347Brewzers				2649.3  1344Bucketheads			 2633.3  1327Eggy's Booze Hounds	 2615.3  1309Hoosier Daddies		 2607.6  1335
Here was my (Hoosier Daddies) final roster.QB: CIN (C Palmer), MIN (T Jackson)RB: S Jackson, D Williams, K Jones, R Droughns, C BuckhalterWR: J Cotchery, DJ Hackett, T Glenn. D Jarrett, P PriceTE: J Shockey, B UtechtDEF: S Gostkowski, N FolkK: SEA, CINI am also a neophyte to the system, but it became apparent that TE and QB were going to have enormous value, because of the relative scarcity. Reading some comments solidified that view. So after the Jackson pick in Round 1, I decided to go TE/QB during round 2 and 3. I was afraid Diesel would grab Palmer, so I took him before the TE selection. Luckily, Diesel didn't grab my guy Shockey, which was the bottom guy in my top tier of TEs. So that worked out well. I was also aiming to be at the head of kicker and defense runs, but not so early that I was losing value elsewhere. Didn't quite work out that way for defense, but I was happing with the kicker run in round 11.The draft is more challenging than most. Going that deep into the player pool is hard enough, but the 21 week scoring makes for a real balancing act. Value becomes more abstract than hard numbers, and I often found myself up and downgrading players somewhat based on their team. I dreaded pre-drafting until the very late rounds, as I was making those adjustements on the fly based on my insticts during that round. I think I did all right, all in all. It will be interesting to see how the season unfolds.

Broncos, Denver DEN TMQB
Giants, New York NYG TMQB
Betts, Ladell WAS RB
Booker, Lorenzo MIA RB
Portis, Clinton WAS RB
Williams, Carnell TBB RB
Bradley, Mark CHI WR
Carter, Drew CAR WR
Jones, Brandon TEN WR
Muhammad, Muhsin CHI WR
Porter, Jerry OAK WR
Wilson, Cedrick PIT WR
Cooley, Chris WAS TE
Gates, Antonio SDC TE
Janikowski, Sebastian OAK PK
Lindell, Rian BUF PK
Buccaneers, Tampa Bay TBB Def
Giants, New York NYG Def

I believe I have the worst core of WR in our league. After passing on the top tier I thought I'd just grab young guys with alot of opportunity to produce. I did a good job of gauging the rounds they should go in but most didn't fall my way. The recent uncertainty with Portis contributed to that by prompting me to take Betts when I did, but I doubt he'd have been there with my next pick.

Surprising DD likes what I did, the way i see it this team has as much potential to be competitive as it does to totally tank. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

1.01 1. Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC RB

2.16 32. Brown, Ronnie MIA RB

3.01 33. James, Edgerrin ARI RB - I woke up and hoped that my picks hadn't come around yet, but my predrafts had already gone through. I would have picked Javon Walker instead of James if I didn't predraft.

4.16 64. Burress, Plaxico NYG WR - only three WRs left in my tier; didn't want to have ALL scrub WRs. I was REALLY hoping R.Moss or Ward would fall; that would have really made my team. They went 3 and 4 picks in front of me.

5.01 65. Watson, Ben NEP TE - last of the TEs that have top 8 potential, IMO. Playoff games another plus.

6.16 96. Ravens, Baltimore BAL TMQB - wanted a likely playoff QB... an extra game or two from the QB spot is nice. The remaining QBs, except for Chicago's, were just a crapshoot for the playoffs.

7.01 97. Holmes, Santonio PIT WR - I like Pittsburgh to make the playoffs as well, and I think Holmes will be very solid this year.

8.16 128. Troupe, Ben TEN TE - I like Troupe. Only other TE consideration for me here was M.Lewis and Scheffler, but Lewis is unproven and Scheffler is only one of many targets in Denver. Troupe has done it before (in 2005), and I like his chances to be pretty good this year if he is healthy. I pondered waiting longer, but I was sure a lot of TEs were going to go before 10.16.

9.01 129. Buccaneers, Tampa Bay TBB TMQB - last chance to get a QB that I feel will improve to middle of the pack this year. A little bonus rushing points from Garcia may help as well. The remaining QBs were rookies (Clev + Oak), inexperienced (Minn, KC), or sucky (Atl). I don't hate Clev and Oak until they start the rookies, but I like Gruden to stick with Garcia.

10.16 160. Welker, Wes NEP WR - Playing the odds that Moss and/or Stallworth are going to miss time. I like Welker to get 45+ catches, with some upside.

11.01 161. Williamson, Troy MIN WR - possible #1 WR on his team, should get targets. Considered about 4 other guys here, but they were all #2 or #3 on their teams, so I went with upside.

12.16 192. Graham, Shayne CIN PK - wanted one kicker on a good offense.

13.01 193. Jurevicius, Joe CLE WR - Not that Joe is a stud, but there are major ???s about the remaining WRs. Joe is a safe bet for 40 catches, with upside for TDs.

14.16 224. Hanson, Jason DET PK - wanted to make sure that I got a starting kicker... if I wait too long, I end up with a guy that could lose his job, which would be a lot of points missed out on. Two Dallas and two Green Bay kickers were chosen; that means two teams will be getting goose eggs.

15.01 225. Leonard, Brian STL RB - Only other RB consideration was M.Bennet, and I think he sucks. I like Leonard to get 20-25 catches and 60-80 carries.... should be 400+ yards, and Jackson has been nicked up in his career, so Leonard has a shot at bigger stats. The other backup RBs available are going to get less than 250 yards, possibly much less, and have less upside than Leonard if the lead RB gets hurt.

16.16 256. Redskins, Washington WAS Def - bad pick. I predrafted the night before, woke up again knowing that Washington was not the pick I should make, but too late... Would have taken Atl or T.Bay if I did not predraft.

17.01 257. Chiefs, Kansas City KCC Def - I like this pick. I think KC's D is noticibly better than the rest that were left here. I wanted to have flexibility with my final pick; if I pick a WR here, I would be locked into having the last defense available. Bleh.

18.16 288. Lloyd, Brandon WAS WR - Had two productive years in San Fran, Washington picked up a 5 million dollar option on him, and I expect the 'skins to be a better passing team this year. Also, Lloyd should be better in the 2nd year with the team. You could do much worse with Mr. Irrelevant.

In retrospect, I should have taken a TE in round 3, that's where the value was. I don't think I made any other mistakes that matter, though. I like my team; I don't think I have any players that will get less than 400 yards (maybe Troupe), and I like my later picks to outplay their draft slot. Should be interesting.

Bills, Buffalo BUF TMQB

Texans, Houston HOU TMQB

Davenport, Najeh PIT RB

Gore, Frank SFO RB

Jones, Thomas NYJ RB

Morris, Maurice SEA RB

Gabriel, Doug OAK WR

Holt, Torry STL WR

Jackson, Darrell SFO WR

Jones, Matt JAC WR

Moss, Santana WAS WR

Baker, Chris NYJ TE

Campbell, Daniel DET TE

Smith, L.J. PHI TE

Akers, David PHI PK

Wilkins, Jeff STL PK

49ers, San Francisco SFO Def

Raiders, Oakland OAK Def

First time drafting in this format, and I don't feel really great about this team. I waited to long for a QB, so that should hurt. RB group lacks depth and the D/ST is meh.

I will use this as a learning experience for next time.

I like my team a lot.

Team QB's

Lions, Detroit DET TMQB 6

Saints, New Orleans NOS TMQB 4

Both of these teams have top 6 QB scoring potential, Brees and the Saints also have the obvious playoff implications if they can make a run like last year in a weak NFC conference. Detroit may not be going to any playoff games, but I don't care about 30 or 40 points when they'll just blow the hell out the majority of QB's I could've picked up.

Running Backs

Faulk, Kevin NEP RB 10

Jones, Julius DAL RB 8

Lundy, Wali HOU RB 10

Washington, Leon NYJ RB 10

Meh. I like these guys for where I picked them up. Wali Lundy will probably give me closest to zero, but everyone else on the list should get some playing time even without injuries to the guy in front of them (or behind them for JJ). Considering I nabbed these guys in the 5th, 8th, 11th and 18th... well I expect only slightly better production out of them than where they were taken. For the most part I ignored RB though.

Wide Receivers

Battle, Arnaz SFO WR 6

Harrison, Marvin IND WR 6

Johnson, Calvin DET WR 6

Kennison, Eddie KCC WR 8

Lelie, Ashley SFO WR 6

Stallworth, Donte' NEP WR 10

Love this set of wideouts. Harrison is obvious. Stallworth with Brady is fine as a #2, Calvin Johnson I think has the potential to put up some big numbers, Kennsion and Battle are unsexy guys that'll give me top 40 (hopefully top 30) points and Lelie is worth a flier that late even though my faith in him is minimal.

Tight Ends

Clark, Desmond CHI TE 9

Heap, Todd BAL TE 8

Heap is a stud and Clark will finish in the top ten. Consider how often even the best TE's do scoring wise in FF in their rookie years and then consider Clark dropped 3-5 rounds in every draft I've done so far because of the fear Olsen will somehow urserp him. I'm not a believer yet. Maybe next year.

Kickers

Bironas, Rob TEN PK 4

Nedney, Joe SFO PK 6

Two kickers. Woot.

Team Defense

Rams, St. Louis STL Def 9

Titans, Tennessee TEN Def 4

Rams defense will be better this year and the Titans defense will still be OK without the pellet muncher around.

Think the team could have a bit higher point-wise for a ceiling and that was my mistake, but otherwise I'm happy with it.

Another team I did not intend on drafting for. I loaded up on Eagles hoping to get the Eagles fan back in but it never materialzied.

2.12 Eagles, Philadelphia PHI TMQB

5.05 Cowboys, Dallas DAL TMQB

Both Top 5 candidates with playoff aspirations.

1.05 Westbrook, Brian PHI RB

6.12 Foster, De'shaun CAR RB

14.12 Shipp, Marcel ARI RB

18.12 Robinson, Michael SFO RB

Westbrook is great when healthy. Foster is medicocre and normally hurt (but should be the starter for now in CAR). IMO, if you can get some unexpected scoring from your late round RBs you are ahead in the game.

3.05 Driver, Donald GBP WR

4.12 Moss, Randy NEP WR

7.05 Galloway, Joey TBB WR

9.05 Curtis, Kevin PHI WR

11.05 Booker, Marty MIA WR

12.12 Crayton, Patrick DAL WR

The Top 3 should be solid. The next three should be in the Top 50-60. What that translates to is anyone's guess.

8.12 Graham, Daniel DEN TE

10.12 Martin, David MIA TE

I din't buy into the TE hype this time around (although I did in one of the other leagues). Both guys should do better than expected but may not be difference makers.

15.05 Rackers, Neil ARI PK

16.12 Feely, Jay MIA PK

I got two guys that should keep their jobs and play in warm weather (or indoors) which may give me a few extra points. BUt let's be real, no one gets giddy over placekickers.

13.05 Panthers, Carolina CAR Def

17.05 Cardinals, Arizona ARI Def

Not great but not terrible which IMO is fine. You can't load up everywhere, and being average with later round picks most of the time won't hurt you.

IMO, taking Westbrook at #5 wasn't worth it but fit the profile for an Eagles fan. 0 PPR kills his value. Maybe he can stay healthy which would be a huge plus. I think I have 6 or 7 guys that could make an impact and a team full of guys primed to post average production. Moss is the only one really in a position to make a big post season run. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

David - are we doing this league on MFL, or another site? Just wanted to know as I'll be out of town until the day before the season starts. If I need to do something or sign up somewhere else, please let me know. Thanks.

David - are we doing this league on MFL, or another site? Just wanted to know as I'll be out of town until the day before the season starts. If I need to do something or sign up somewhere else, please let me know. Thanks.
Twilight said he would transport all the league information to his ffplace.com site. That's where the actual league will be hosted. You're good except for the $100.00 entrance fee that I still haven't received. :wink:

Twilight said he would transport all the league information to his ffplace.com site. That's where the actual league will be hosted. You're good except for the $100.00 entrance fee that I still haven't received. :wink:
But I sent you a cashiers check, drawn on the Bank of Nigeria for $10,000. You are to cash the check, keep the $100 entry fee, and send me $9,900 back in cash. Looking forward to your immediate reply.

QB - JetsQB - BrownsRB - Travis HenryRB - Deuce McAllisterRB - Ahman GreenRB - LenDale WhiteWR - Hines WardWR - Deion BranchWR - Ronald CurryWR - Amani ToomerWR - Bobby EngramTE - Heath MillerTE - Marcedes LewisFLEX - Alex Smith (TE)PK - Nate KaedingPK - Ryan LongwellDEF - BrownsDEF - Lions
:goodposting:

QB - JetsQB - BrownsRB - Travis HenryRB - Deuce McAllisterRB - Ahman GreenRB - LenDale WhiteWR - Hines WardWR - Deion BranchWR - Ronald CurryWR - Amani ToomerWR - Bobby EngramTE - Heath MillerTE - Marcedes LewisFLEX - Alex Smith (TE)PK - Nate KaedingPK - Ryan LongwellDEF - BrownsDEF - Lions
:goodposting:
Where's your 2nd rd pick?

FWIW, here is the Draft Dominator's view of the results of League 4's draft:

Code:
Team					Points  VBDBrowncos				2747	1477Torn Tendons			2651.7  1347Brewzers				2649.3  1344Bucketheads			 2633.3  1327Eggy's Booze Hounds	 2615.3  1309Hoosier Daddies		 2607.6  1335Yudkin Visits League 4  2599.7  1292Blue-Kun				2582.2  1278Diesel Posse			2568.2  1337Bri					 2520.1  1215BIG BLUE				2494.1  1224EBF					 2471	1167Four Horsemen		   2448.7  1144Vick in a Box		   2408.2  1104Sleeper 43			  2337.5  -883Hellfire				2224.1   922
...One thing most of the top several teams have in common - they did not draft more than 2-3 RBs in the first several rounds.
Figured you guys might be interested in an update. Almost 3 weeks later, with latest (8/30) projections:
Code:
Points	VBD	Team2667.4	1320	Brewzers2666.9	1355	Browncos2618.8	1271	Bucketheads2585.3	1238	Blue-Kun2582.7	1235	Yudkin Visits League 42579.3	1268	BIG BLUE2564.9	1217	Torn Tendons2553.2	1204	Eggy's Booze Hounds2540.8	1307	Diesel Posse2530.3	1184	Bri2509.1	1196	Hoosier Daddies2480.3	1137	EBF2460.5	1111	Sleeper 432432.7	1088	Four Horsemen2258.6	 913	Hellfire2244.1	 895	Vick in a Box
Caveats:1. I made no attempt to change projections from the defaults. Obviously many people will have different projections and thus will feel differently than what is shown by these numbers.2. We use team QBs, and this reflects only the projected starter for each team. So the numbers are off to varying degrees, depending on how much the DD would project the load to be shared for each team by its other QBs. Probably not a big difference for most teams.3. DD does not factor in NFL playoff games, and thus those points are not accounted for.All that said, I think it is as good as any other quick view of the results. Last year, in League 3, it did a reasonable job of predicting... it predicted 7 of the top 8 teams correctly (not in the correct order, but the right teams) and correctly predicted the league winner.

Users who are viewing this thread