What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another FBG subscriber contest (1 Viewer)

19th overall. Not bad.

My stats by day of pick:

Thursday - 51.1%

Friday - 53.5%

Saturday - 66.7%

Wondering how that compares - did the questions get "easier" or was I just on fire :)

'Doug Drinen said:
'Anonymous Internet User said:
'Doug Drinen said:
Incidentally, the crowd answered 53.3% of the questions correctly in week one.
7 "losses" vs 1 "win" on my kicker picks before wising up and not answering those. Oof. If I didn't pick any kickers, I would have cracked top 10.
Crowd percentages by position:QB: 57.9%RB: 53.5%WR: 52.1%TE: 51.9%FLEX: 54.0%PK: 47.7%TD: 55.7%Random trivia: the crowd was 36% on questions involving Titans, but 68% on questions involving Lions.
So the collective wisdom of the Shark Pool = coin flip ?

Yes and no. While it's true that 53.3% isn't that much higher than 50%, it is enough higher (given the sample size) that it's clearly better.

If you flipped a coin 38267 times, there is no way you'd get 20388 heads or more. If everyone in the world flipped a coin 38267 times, there is now way anyone would get 20388 heads or more*.

* - unless I made a mistake. It's early and I'm in a hurry. I get that 20388 is more than 12 standard deviations away from the mean. Someone please double-check.

So ten minutes making picks gives me 3rd place and pays me almost double what I got for the hours of calculations and 16 weeks of watching scores in last year's Subscriber contest? I like it. :thumbup:

Is it possible to get the same question again once you "submit"? For example, if I answer Colt vs Hasselbeck today and submit it, is it possible for me to see that question again if I keep refreshing tomorrow?

Is it possible to get the same question again once you "submit"? For example, if I answer Colt vs Hasselbeck today and submit it, is it possible for me to see that question again if I keep refreshing tomorrow?
Unless there's a bug, the answer should be no.

Looks like anyone that didn't qualify cannot see their picks. All the non-qualifiers default to Modogs entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless there's a bug, the answer should be no.
Doug, FYI, I got an error today when I entered my picks. The last defense question had "Detriot vs. - "I clicked on Detriot and submitted, then it told me I was submitting an illegal entry. I refreshed and filled in the questions again and it worked.

Let's see...

25 right on Saturday

31 right on Friday

22 right on Thursday

22 right on Wednesday

Pretty sure that indicates I just don't know what I'm doing :)

-QG

Looks like anyone that didn't qualify cannot see their picks. All the non-qualifiers default to Modogs entry.
Serious question: qualify for what?
You still haven't read the rules?
I think I have. Based on the results seems like a lot of people were confused. I just saw a bunch of questions and answered them. Aside from that i guess I thought "qualify" meant qualify to move forward. I'm doing like 8 things at once, that's probably why I'm struggling here.

Serious question: qualify for what?
You still haven't read the rules?
I think I have. Based on the results seems like a lot of people were confused. I just saw a bunch of questions and answered them. Aside from that i guess I thought "qualify" meant qualify to move forward. I'm doing like 8 things at once, that's probably why I'm struggling here.
You need to answer X number of questions per week to qualify. I think now it's 60, last week it was 125 or something like that.

Yes and no. While it's true that 53.3% isn't that much higher than 50%, it is enough higher (given the sample size) that it's clearly better.

If you flipped a coin 38267 times, there is no way you'd get 20388 heads or more. If everyone in the world flipped a coin 38267 times, there is now way anyone would get 20388 heads or more*.

* - unless I made a mistake. It's early and I'm in a hurry. I get that 20388 is more than 12 standard deviations away from the mean. Someone please double-check.
It is also week 1- the week with the least information. In general I would expect this to have been the worst week.

Fun times. 14th in week 1, which I expect to be my high point of the season. Not bad for basically going from the gut to see how it played out.

One suggestion: on the results page, perhaps add a space between the scores? I thought there was a bug with my win:

Fri Atlanta Falcons - ATL over Pittsburgh Steelers - PIT win 7.40--7.50
Until I realized it was really:

Fri Atlanta Falcons - ATL over Pittsburgh Steelers - PIT win 7.40 vs -7.50
Point being that negative numbers don't display particularly well. Not a big deal.

FWIW the first one of these i tried to submit had an error. in the Defense category one of the options only had CHI vs NO and the second slot was blank.

However, when I tried to submit it, it wouldn't accept it, asking "are you trying to submit an illegal entry?"

I went back and refreshed, it gave me a new set of choices, and then took those.

In the first one I actually typed 5-6 comments, did none in the second.

You should actually give some kind of bonus pts/credit for those submitting comments, as that takes a lot longer than just clicking through a set of data pts.

You should actually give some kind of bonus pts/credit for those submitting comments, as that takes a lot longer than just clicking through a set of data pts.
But then you have to decide whether to give credit for comments like "McNabb stinks". If you do, you'll get a bunch of worthless comments (just enough to get the extra credit). If you don't, all you do is start disputes about what's a worthless comment and what isn't.

Gonna have to back out of this one. No time to be in 5 leagues and so many contests without a reminder to submit picks a couple times a week. Good luck all.

Thanks for the bump. Just finished this moments ago...http://subscribers.footballguys.com/wdis/2011/week-1.phpYou can start answering week 2 questions at midnight central time tonight.
What do the columns mean? 85 135 0 62.9662% and 0 ties, but what is the 85 and 135? And how do we know how we did each week, by a link on the subscriber home page? Or do we check for your post in this thread?

Thanks for the bump. Just finished this moments ago...http://subscribers.footballguys.com/wdis/2011/week-1.phpYou can start answering week 2 questions at midnight central time tonight.
What do the columns mean? 85 135 0 62.9662% and 0 ties, but what is the 85 and 135? And how do we know how we did each week, by a link on the subscriber home page? Or do we check for your post in this thread?
85 = number correct135 = total answered-QG

Right now, the standings and results pages are admittedly very bare-bones, as I've been working on making sure all the other stuff is running smooth. At some point I'll make those results pages more functional, perhaps even with sorting and filtering and such. Feel free to post requests here.

I don't think you should allow folks to "strategize" by not answering the K or D questions. As set up, I could answer questions all four days and avoid the hardest questions each day.

If the goal is a "contest", then contestants should be able to take advantage of the rules, etc.

But if the goal is to create a WOC output that is valuable to subscribers and reward those for participation, then make everyone answer every question they get. Otherwise, the K and D rankings will be subpar and we don't get the WOC on the real hard decisions each week. It also reduces the skill involved (the better contestant can figure out Ks as well as QBs).

I also liked the 50 questions a week to get more data for the rankings. It didn't take much time. Go with your gut.

The rules should also have some factor for rewarding for more questions answered. Again, this inentivizes more data for the WOC rankings.

I don't think you should allow folks to "strategize" by not answering the K or D questions. As set up, I could answer questions all four days and avoid the hardest questions each day.If the goal is a "contest", then contestants should be able to take advantage of the rules, etc. But if the goal is to create a WOC output that is valuable to subscribers and reward those for participation, then make everyone answer every question they get. Otherwise, the K and D rankings will be subpar and we don't get the WOC on the real hard decisions each week. It also reduces the skill involved (the better contestant can figure out Ks as well as QBs).I also liked the 50 questions a week to get more data for the rankings. It didn't take much time. Go with your gut.The rules should also have some factor for rewarding for more questions answered. Again, this inentivizes more data for the WOC rankings.
If people aren't making a choice, it means they don't have the necessary confidence level to do so. Forcing them to flip a coin doesn't help the validity of the WOC rankings. It only gives a false impression of how many people thought kicker A was a better choice than kicker B. I'd rather see an accurate measure of a smaller sample size than a bogus measure of a larger sample size.

I just answer them all, though I must've skipped one by accident cuz I have 99 entries. That and I think I missed a whole day. I think people should have to answer the entire block of questions personally, as the last poster was right. If K/D are harder to predict you know some schmuck is gonna skip those ones...

I don't think you should allow folks to "strategize" by not answering the K or D questions. As set up, I could answer questions all four days and avoid the hardest questions each day.If the goal is a "contest", then contestants should be able to take advantage of the rules, etc. But if the goal is to create a WOC output that is valuable to subscribers and reward those for participation, then make everyone answer every question they get. Otherwise, the K and D rankings will be subpar and we don't get the WOC on the real hard decisions each week. It also reduces the skill involved (the better contestant can figure out Ks as well as QBs).I also liked the 50 questions a week to get more data for the rankings. It didn't take much time. Go with your gut.The rules should also have some factor for rewarding for more questions answered. Again, this inentivizes more data for the WOC rankings.
If people aren't making a choice, it means they don't have the necessary confidence level to do so. Forcing them to flip a coin doesn't help the validity of the WOC rankings. It only gives a false impression of how many people thought kicker A was a better choice than kicker B. I'd rather see an accurate measure of a smaller sample size than a bogus measure of a larger sample size.
since the FBG rankers don't get to pass on anyone in a given week, I don't think we should either. They are forced to make the same calls even when they don't like the outcome Like when I had Kerry collins vs luke mcknown :X

are the individual results listed? What kind of % did it take to 'place' last week.

So ten minutes making picks gives me 3rd place and pays me almost double what I got for the hours of calculations and 16 weeks of watching scores in last year's Subscriber contest? I like it. :thumbup:
Umm you know that the 'hours of calculation' are done for you if you just wait. :cool:
The hours of calculations were before Week 1. I don't think anyone was going to do them for me. Thanks anyway.

I don't think you should allow folks to "strategize" by not answering the K or D questions. As set up, I could answer questions all four days and avoid the hardest questions each day.

If the goal is a "contest", then contestants should be able to take advantage of the rules, etc.

But if the goal is to create a WOC output that is valuable to subscribers and reward those for participation, then make everyone answer every question they get. Otherwise, the K and D rankings will be subpar and we don't get the WOC on the real hard decisions each week. It also reduces the skill involved (the better contestant can figure out Ks as well as QBs).

I also liked the 50 questions a week to get more data for the rankings. It didn't take much time. Go with your gut.

The rules should also have some factor for rewarding for more questions answered. Again, this inentivizes more data for the WOC rankings.
are the individual results listed? What kind of % did it take to 'place' last week.
From DD's earlier post: Link

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread