What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bought my wife a Peloton for her birthday (2 Viewers)

jvdesigns2002 said:
I for one hate the new Peloton commercial.  It has nothing to do with an already skinny person working out.  Like others have said in this thread--skinny and healthy are not necessarily the same thing.   I have zero problem with the commercial in regards to promoting health. 

I find the commercial ridiculous because of the woman actually thinking that anybody (including her husband) cares about when she works out, what she eats, and what coffee she drinks.  I hate when people post themselves at the gym on social media or when they take pictures of their food and coffee thinking that the rest of the world gives a flying eff about it.  

On top of that--what is up with the constantly scared look on the actresses face? She's nervous to work out on a stationary back in her own home?  It's just weird and stupid.  The message of getting healthy by getting a peloton is lost in the other crap that's in the commerical.  
This is the problem with the commercial. It's just bad acting or directing, but it looks like someone has a gun pointed at her off camera.

This is the problem with the commercial. It's just bad acting or directing, but it looks like someone has a gun pointed at her off camera.
I think the idea was to convey that there is fear in doing something like riding a stationary bike inside.  Because, it might explode perhaps?  Not clear.  Maybe she is a heart transplant recipient and is still on anti-rejection drugs.  

I don't think the commercial is as awful as many are making it out to be.  Twitter/social media/meme feeding frenzy.  
Yeah, and I bet on your way out the door today you told your significant other that they look almost as good as they used to. :pokey:

Yeah, I don't get it.  I e-mailed them asking for her address, measurements, etc. and they haven't gotten back to to me.  Really?
Well on normal commercials they usually release this information.  This is how we know how to e-stalk the GMC truck girl, for example.

Peloton  released a (pretty defensive) statement about the backlash. I do agree with comments that her not needing to lose weight is irrelevant, but it is still a cringe-worth ad.And they missed the opportunity in the statement to convey what they actually were trying to communicate.It almost has the tone of "If you don't get it, that's your problem."

“We constantly hear from our members how their lives have been meaningfully and positively impacted after purchasing or being gifted a Peloton Bike or Tread, often in ways that surprise them,” a company spokesperson said in an email. “Our holiday spot was created to celebrate that fitness and wellness journey. While we’re disappointed in how some have misinterpreted this commercial, we are encouraged by — and grateful for — the outpouring of support we’ve received from those who understand what we were trying to communicate.”

Accompanying its statement, Peloton sent CNBC PDF documents of positive emails it had received about the ad, from which last names and email addresses were redacted, as well as one Facebook post in support of the spot.

Accompanying its statement, Peloton sent CNBC PDF documents of positive emails it had received about the ad, from which last names and email addresses were redacted, as well as one Facebook post in support of the spot.
this is hilarious.

CNBC: "picture of the outlook preview pane with a penny next to the monitor or gtfo."

They're selling a very expensive excercise bike to people that can afford it. They're trying to portray a certain image in order to hammer home the idea that they're a premium product/service.

Nearly every ad for high end fitness equipment features actors/models that are obviously already in awesome shape. So the criticism that the woman is already in shape is beyond stupid. 

Nobody wants to see an ad with some fat cow sweating buckets on a bike. That's not how you move merchandise.

Some people really have way too much time on their hands

Last edited by a moderator:
They're selling a very expensive excercise bike to people that can afford it. They're trying to portray a certain image in order to hammer home the idea that they're a premium product/service.

Nearly every ad for high end fitness equipment features actors/models that are obviously already in awesome shape. So the criticism that the woman is already in shape is beyond stupid. 

Nobody wants to see an ad with some fat cow sweating buckets on a bike. That's not how you move merchandise.

Some people really have way too much time on their hands
There's a big difference though. NordicTrack models don't have an expression of "I hope I can do this so I don't get the hose again" on their faces.

Peloton  released a (pretty defensive) statement about the backlash. I do agree with comments that her not needing to lose weight is irrelevant, but it is still a cringe-worth ad.And they missed the opportunity in the statement to convey what they actually were trying to communicate.It almost has the tone of "If you don't get it, that's your problem."

“We constantly hear from our members how their lives have been meaningfully and positively impacted after purchasing or being gifted a Peloton Bike or Tread, often in ways that surprise them,” a company spokesperson said in an email. “Our holiday spot was created to celebrate that fitness and wellness journey. While we’re disappointed in how some have misinterpreted this commercial, we are encouraged by — and grateful for — the outpouring of support we’ve received from those who understand what we were trying to communicate.”

I wish they never released a statement

The ad is beyond stupid, but not the least bit offensive.
Says a guy. The ad implies a before and after over time except the before is the same as after. That's what's being debated. Not an attractive fit gal doing the commercial. It's subtle.

Says a guy. The ad implies a before and after over time except the before is the same as after. That's what's being debated. Not an attractive fit gal doing the commercial. It's subtle.
what's your point about the bolded? It's a commercial directed at everyone

what's your point about the bolded? It's a commercial directed at everyone
Guys don't catch on to what I wrote. At least in diet commercials the before and after is obvious. Kind of false advertising when the before and after are the same.

This isn't meant to be a (physical) before/after imo. I think it's about  fitness/lifestyle/discipline experience, etc.The fault is in Peloton's execution. I don't get why they didn't try to explain this in their statement instead of going the "Sorry, you're too clueless to get it" route.

Do you know what's false advertising?   Do these bikes run off the power generated from the rider or have they invented long range wireless power b/c I never see these bikes plugged in?  They're just in the middle of some huge room without a power cable to be found.   If I bought one of these and saw that I'd have to plug it in, I'd be pissed.   

What is so funny is that if they would have used a heavy girl that was wheezing walking up the steps they would have been blasted ten fold.

They knew what they were doing and probably have a target market. 

Don't forget overcoming the deep-seeded, soul-crushing fear of riding a stationary bike in your own home.
Well,obviously. :)

But, seriously, the intended message was probably along the lines of "Our rides are tough, but you can do it!!!!!! And you'll be proud of your accomplishments!!!!! Do it for YOU!!!!!!!"

What is so funny is that if they would have used a heavy girl that was wheezing walking up the steps they would have been blasted ten fold.

They knew what they were doing and probably have a target market. 
Morbidly obese people are rarely in commercials much less fitness ones. There isn't just slim and trim then jumps to obese. The fact that enough people saw it the way it was portrayed and their stocks were affected says something. Like other companies it'll blow over. If people really want one they'll get one. 

Morbidly obese people are rarely in commercials much less fitness ones. There isn't just slim and trim then jumps to obese. The fact that enough people saw it the way it was portrayed and their stocks were affected says something. Like other companies it'll blow over. If people really want one they'll get one. 
Their stock is up 10% since the ad was released. 

I never said there was only huge and slim.  

And i am not trying to say that the ad caused the increase in the stick price. I am simply pointing out the "tumbled" narrative is weak. 

But the commercial didn't just come out it's been out for two and a half weeks
Yeah but the drop happened when folks saw that a whole year later, this gal went from slim and trim to, uh, slim and trim. That's where the uproar and anger in this ad lies. It just took this long for people to catch it.

Yeah but the drop happened when folks saw that a whole year later, this gal went from slim and trim to, uh, slim and trim. That's where the uproar and anger in this ad lies. It just took this long for people to catch it.
yeah, people are morons. They equate slim and trim with in shape and healthy.

Gotta give the thread starter credit here. He started it 2 years before all this stuff happened. Who knows, maybe the ad writer stole the idea from this thread.

Wat?  The stock was $36.84 on Monday and dropped to $33.48 on Tuesday.  That's what everyone's talking about.
Sorry. I take it back. The ad dropped online on November 12. It is up 33% since the ad was released!!!!! OMG what an ad!

Also look at the chart compared to Nike. Drop after cyber monday matches. I cant think of other exercise equipment people or I would look at them. Nordic track and lifefitness dont appear to be public. 

The effect is way overblown. 

Users who are viewing this thread