What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Build a FRANCHISE draft year 2 (1 Viewer)

Starting to think this Dolphin offense is one of the best. Cam is extremely hard to defend with crap at WR, but with Dez and Bowe and their physical, run after the catch ability, plus a guy like Chris Givens who can take the top off a D at any point...wow just imagine where his game can ascend to. Mathews is a physical and skilled rb. This is just an extremely talented and dynamic group on offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting to think this Dolphin offense is one of the best. Cam is extremely hard to defend with crap at WR, but with Dez and Bowe and their physical, run after the catch ability, plus a guy like Chris Givens who can take the top off a D at any point...wow just imagine where his game can ascend to. Mathews is a physical and skilled rb. This is just an extremely talented and dynamic group on offense.
It's solid. I'm a big fan of Cam. Dez is one of the best of course. Other than those two though, it isn't all that impressive. Bowe would likely be a lot better with Cam than he was with Smith, but Cam would have to learn how to perform behind a lesser (by quite a bit) line. Looks like he'll be learning that this year in real life, so we'll see how he does.

Really any time you get a top 5 QB (I may have drafted Cam #3) you should have a good offense. All of the teams that had a top QB also took good receivers, which certainly seems smart. ETA: except Bucs with Wilson....

Not sure where I'd rank it right now. If you had a better OL it would be top 5 for sure.

Doing a quick lookover all of the offenses to see where I'd put the Dolphins...

I'd probably put it at #4 behind the Redskins, Saints and Ravens(in no specific order). Although the Eagles probably should be somewhere in that mix, atleast for this year, since they have Peyton.

Last two picks:

Kevin Minter ILB - Obviously unproven, but young and should be a thumper in the run game. Really like his fit at ILB in our 3-4. Should be a nice combo with Dont'a Hightower. Given his unproven nature, this pick might not be for everyone but I really liked him in predraft process last year.

Ryan Griffin TE - Maybe my favorite pick so far. I thought this guy showed some really good flashes when pressed into the starting lineup. He's only going to improve.

Any thoughts?

Last two picks:

Kevin Minter ILB - Obviously unproven, but young and should be a thumper in the run game. Really like his fit at ILB in our 3-4. Should be a nice combo with Dont'a Hightower. Given his unproven nature, this pick might not be for everyone but I really liked him in predraft process last year.

Ryan Griffin TE - Maybe my favorite pick so far. I thought this guy showed some really good flashes when pressed into the starting lineup. He's only going to improve.

Any thoughts?
Liked minter last year leading up to the draft, but it gives me pause that they not only brought dansby back last year (proved to be great move), but were also trying to bring in dqwell Jackson instead of giving minter a chance to take the Job. As for griffin I really like his potential in the bill o'Brien offense. I had him qued up for my next pick.

Last two picks:

Any thoughts?
Liked minter last year leading up to the draft, but it gives me pause that they not only brought dansby back last year (proved to be great move), but were also trying to bring in dqwell Jackson instead of giving minter a chance to take the Job. As for griffin I really like his potential in the bill o'Brien offense. I had him qued up for my next pick.
I really liked Minter coming into the draft, and while his lack of playing time might be cause for concern, I still believe he still has really nice upside as a thumper in the run game. Given the rest of the options left at ILB, I think he made the most sense in terms of building a franchise.

Last two picks:

Any thoughts?
I really liked Minter coming into the draft, and while his lack of playing time might be cause for concern, I still believe he still has really nice upside as a thumper in the run game. Given the rest of the options left at ILB, I think he made the most sense in terms of building a franchise.
I'm right with you in taking a 2nd round ILB from last years draft who has upside. I had both Bostic and Minter on my "gamble" list.

It's solid. I'm a big fan of Cam. Dez is one of the best of course. Other than those two though, it isn't all that impressive. Bowe would likely be a lot better with Cam than he was with Smith, but Cam would have to learn how to perform behind a lesser (by quite a bit) line. Looks like he'll be learning that this year in real life, so we'll see how he does.

Really any time you get a top 5 QB (I may have drafted Cam #3) you should have a good offense. All of the teams that had a top QB also took good receivers, which certainly seems smart. ETA: except Bucs with Wilson....

Not sure where I'd rank it right now. If you had a better OL it would be top 5 for sure.
Bowe on a number 2 corner is usually going to be a mismatch. But mostly I think you're really underrating Veldheer, Barksdale and DeCastro. Veldheer was a top ten LT going into last year. Barksdale had a top ten year this year at RT, and DeCastro has what it takes to be one of the best guards in the league and he showed it last year which was basically his rookie year.

Having said all that, I knew I didn't need to get an elite line because it's extremely hard to sack Newton. But I think this one is absolutely good enough.

I think Floyd/White/Jernigan is pretty good trio of WRs. Guess it depends on what you think of White, but I think he has some solid years left. There's only so many elite WRs to pick from before you have to take a shot that Floyd will continue to build on last year's breakout campaign.

Floyd will be more than fine as your # 1. Had a fluky year around the end zone in 2013 and easily could have had another 4-5 tds.

I think Floyd/White/Jernigan is pretty good trio of WRs. Guess it depends on what you think of White, but I think he has some solid years left. There's only so many elite WRs to pick from before you have to take a shot that Floyd will continue to build on last year's breakout campaign.
I like Floyd a lot and think you will be fine. I'm just saying you didn't expend a top pick on a WR. (should have used elite/great instead of good)

I'm a big fan of Kerley and he's definitely another player I rate higher than most. I give him a solid C+ grade but fully realize most would probably give him a D (a solid role player). I think he'll shine with better QB play.

I'm a big fan of Kerley and he's definitely another player I rate higher than most. I give him a solid C+ grade but fully realize most would probably give him a D (a solid role player). I think he'll shine with better QB play.
I like him a lot too, and have been considering him for the past couple rounds. I think he's a very reliable slot receiver, but I really don't see upside for much more than that.

But, I have to say thanks for taking him because I would have had to take him soon if he kept falling and I really have much bigger needs than WR at this point.

I like him a lot too, and have been considering him for the past couple rounds. I think he's a very reliable slot receiver, but I really don't see upside for much more than that.

But, I have to say thanks for taking him because I would have had to take him soon if he kept falling and I really have much bigger needs than WR at this point.
Kerley will only be my starter if I don't draft a wide receiver early in the rookie draft. I've made it no secret that I want a WR in the first or second round of the rookie draft.

Having said that, I think Kerley would be an adequate starter if he can stay healthy. I think he's better than any receiver not named Edelman on the Patriots 2013 roster.

Was hoping he'd slide to the end of this round and almost took him over Sanders. Ace's return potential and Sproles-type skills led me that way instead but it was a tough choice.

Kerley is a very good #3 WR. I'm not so sure he's a perfect fit / need with your team as you already have two top TEs - and Hartline who serves much the same purpose IMO. Looks like you're trying to recreate the Patriots offense and doing fairly well with it, but I personally would have liked to see a better deep threat on that team. I guess Graham serves that role, but he's not a burner.

FWIW, I'm softly kicking myself for not taking Graham way back in the top of round 2.

"You know what Jeremy Kerley is, man? This guy, he's like chili cheese fries. You don't expect much, he's not a full meal. But the guy is comfort food and he delivers when you expect it least. So I like this guy. Jeremy Kerley reminds me of eggrolls at a Jack in the Box. You go there saying what is this? This is Jack in the Box. Fried tacos and hamburgers. And then, god, are you kidding me, man? They got eggrolls here? That's great, that's unbelievable"

Please tell me somebody gets that reference. :lmao:

Bowe on a number 2 corner is usually going to be a mismatch. But mostly I think you're really underrating Veldheer, Barksdale and DeCastro. Veldheer was a top ten LT going into last year. Barksdale had a top ten year this year at RT, and DeCastro has what it takes to be one of the best guards in the league and he showed it last year which was basically his rookie year.

Having said all that, I knew I didn't need to get an elite line because it's extremely hard to sack Newton. But I think this one is absolutely good enough.
Barksdale is a top candidate to get replaced with a top pick this year, he just isn't very good.

Veldheer was negative in every PFF stat. Understand that doesn't mean everything, but it's an indication that he isn't very good. Plus, Oakland letting him test the market isn't a positive for him.

Decastro is a solid run blocker, but not a difference maker. Yet anyway.

not sure quite where I'd rank your line yet but it's below average.

But yes, if Cam is able to take the pressure and make highlight plays like he has shown, he'll be fine.

Was hoping he'd slide to the end of this round and almost took him over Sanders. Ace's return potential and Sproles-type skills led me that way instead but it was a tough choice.

Kerley is a very good #3 WR. I'm not so sure he's a perfect fit / need with your team as you already have two top TEs - and Hartline who serves much the same purpose IMO. Looks like you're trying to recreate the Patriots offense and doing fairly well with it, but I personally would have liked to see a better deep threat on that team. I guess Graham serves that role, but he's not a burner.

FWIW, I'm softly kicking myself for not taking Graham way back in the top of round 2.
I would imagine that the highest priority task when defending the Saints will be trying to take away Vernon and Graham. I think that this will lead to a lot of situations where Hartline and Kerley are put in advantageous situations.

The reason I am content with Hartline and Kerley despite them not having the best deep speed (4.5-4.6 speed) is that they run good routes, thrive in the short/intermediate game, have good hands, and are reliable. I would not consider either of them as dangerous but I would say that they are both good enough to beat a defender one-on-one.

Won't rank the offenses yet, but off-hand the ones I like enough to think they're possibly top 5

Redskins

Eagles

Saints

Rams

Titans

Bears

Ravens

I'd put your Dolphins in the same tier as my Lions - could be very good, possibly top 10, but there's more risk than I'd want to rank it top 5.

I would imagine that the highest priority task when defending the Saints will be trying to take away Vernon and Graham. I think that this will lead to a lot of situations where Hartline and Kerley are put in advantageous situations.

The reason I am content with Hartline and Kerley despite them not having the best deep speed (4.5-4.6 speed) is that they run good routes, thrive in the short/intermediate game, have good hands, and are reliable. I would not consider either of them as dangerous but I would say that they are both good enough to beat a defender one-on-one.
Sure. I think your short passing game could be very fun.

Presumably your 1st round pick (#13) will "solve" the only real question I'd have on your offense.

Barksdale is a top candidate to get replaced with a top pick this year, he just isn't very good.

Veldheer was negative in every PFF stat. Understand that doesn't mean everything, but it's an indication that he isn't very good. Plus, Oakland letting him test the market isn't a positive for him.

But yes, if Cam is able to take the pressure and make highlight plays like he has shown, he'll be fine.
Veldheer was a top ten LT heading into last year before the injury. He probably should've just stayed out. He clearly wasn't ready to play when he returned. And not sure what you're looking at but Barksdale had a great year at RT. We will have to agree to disagree about these two.

I'd be perfectly comfortable with Veldheer. He's only 26 and will be 27 at the start of the season. He is just entering his prime.

Won't rank the offenses yet, but off-hand the ones I like enough to think they're possibly top 5

Redskins

Eagles

Saints

Rams

Titans

Bears

Ravens

I'd put your Dolphins in the same tier as my Lions - could be very good, possibly top 10, but there's more risk than I'd want to rank it top 5.
Both of my teams. :thumbup:

Sadly I think the Skins have a bottom 5 defense. I think the Saints have a pretty good defense though.

Seattle Seahawks

20.26 - Jermaine Kearse WR

Given that this team did not take a WR until round 20, it was obvious that this would be a weakness. It will need to be addressed throughout the remainder of this draft and in the rookie draft. Again, not giving Andy Dalton high-level skill players is a total headscratcher, but it is the hand I was dealt here.

Kearse has shown some flashes of being able to win in contested situations. He also has the potential to be a very solid deep threat and red zone target. Many of the WRs left have flaws, but I felt as though Kearse may be able to to continue to develop. There is some upside here.

Giants got the SOD with Manuel. He fell WAY too far, like 10 rounds too far.

Absolutely would have taken him over Palmer and Schaub, probably over Cousins, Mallett, Vick and Glennon.

Yeah, he struggled at times last year. He was a rookie on a below average offense.

It was getting to the point where I was going to take a backup QB already.

Absolutely would have taken him over Palmer and Schaub, probably over Cousins, Mallett, Vick and Glennon.

Yeah, he struggled at times last year. He was a rookie on a below average offense.

I kept looking at him on Carolina and trying to decide: Do I take Mallett or will people keep letting him fall? Play that game one too many times and you get burned…I should have learned that last year haha.

ETA: I obviously wouldn't take him over Mallett, but not over Glennon either. I'd take him over the 3 old guys though. Don't like Cousins much either.

I like him. I think Cousins fits my offense better though. Scheme fit.

Veldheer was a top ten LT heading into last year before the injury. He probably should've just stayed out. He clearly wasn't ready to play when he returned. And not sure what you're looking at but Barksdale had a great year at RT. We will have to agree to disagree about these two.
PFF graded him out as the #25 Tackle and Bleacher report has him as their #13 RT, so maybe I'm overly critcial. Maybe he's average, maybe even slightly above average. don't know how you'd call it a "great" year.

yet the vast majority of "experts" list OT in the Rams biggest needs and they aren't referring to Long. We'll see what Fisher does.

I mentioned it earlier, and understand your logic. I just think Manuel will be the better QB in a few years. and he's already starting.

Thanks. I feel both lucky to get him this late, and stupid for passing on him in previous rounds. He's been at the top of my list the past few rounds and he's the guy I kept changing out for other people....looks like it paid off. I understand guys like Cousins and Glennon going ahead of him...they are young and have both looked pretty good. But Schaub, Palmer and Vick all looked very mediocre this year and are nearing the end of the line. And I've just never understood the Mallett thing

Redskins

Eagles

Saints

Rams

Titans

Bears

Ravens

Thanks for giving a nod to my Rams....though even if my team was a top 3-5 offense, my question is how my defense is faring...I think if I can put together a top 16 team defense, which could potentially give up a good number of points, I think my offense can outshoot the other team (or at least that's the hope)

Man, I hate those picks that leave a bad taste in your mouth; more need-based than a guy I like.

Not Ginn, he was a target all along. Big fan of the player and the role he fills.

But Geno Hayes... unsexy as they come, but he's actually a decent youngish WLB which I needed.

There's another guy I keep passing on that I had almost picked... like him better but solid 4-3 WLBs are scarce.

I mentioned it earlier, and understand your logic. I just think Manuel will be the better QB in a few years. and he's already starting.
Real life in current situations, I agree. I stashed Manuel on a lot of fantasy teams last year.

I know everyone is going to love their own teams, but QB aside (tho Vick is definitely serviceable) I really love my offense.

Vick

Gio Bernard

Justin Blackmon

Percy Harvin

Tim Wright

More than happy with that in a draft like this. Got all the weapons I need and a VERY diverse attack

Seattle Seahawks

21.07 Anthony Sherman FB

Given Dalton's limitations and the lack of viable targets in the passing game, I felt as though this was a perfect match. Given that this team's strength is the O-line, we will be employing a conservative ground n' pound attack. Sherman is an elite level blocker and can also contribute in the passing game, which is a major plus. He just fits the type of team this is becoming. Sherman leading the way for Stewart behind a good O-Line has some potential if the defense steps up. Sherman will be a nice weapon off of PA out of the backfield as well.

At least this team is starting to have some direction.

Any thoughts here? It's been difficult trying to shape this team after 16 picks were already made.

Houston

Offense:

QB Robert Griffin III

RB Jamaal Charles

WR Eric Decker

WR Terrance Williams

WR Emmanuel Sanders

TE Jordon Cameron

LT Matt Kalil

LG

C Alex Mack

RG

RT Derek Sherrod

Defense(3-4)

DE Antonio Smith

DT

DE

OLB Robert Mathis

ILB Karlos Dansby

ILB

OLB Whitney Mercilus

SS

FS Jonathan Cyprien

CB Brandon Carr

CB Deangelo Hall
Adding in my own ratings now that I have some time to do it:

QB: A- RG3 is one of the best young QB's in the league, definitely a guy you build a franchise around for a decade.

RB: A+ Ill take Jamaal Charles over any RB in the league right now. Both as a runner and as a weapon out of the backfield.

WR: B Decker is an A but not quite in the "elite" category, Williams had a great rookie year especially towards the latter half ill give him a B, Sanders is a solid player as well hes more of a C+/B-, overall so far id give this group a B.

TE: A+ Cameron is in the Elite class, The only TE I would take over him today is Graham.

OL: B- Mack is an A+ Center, Kalil a B LT, Sherrod is a C level player, I can use him at guard or RT and will see how my guards go in order to determine where to play him later.

Offense overall I see as an A-, pairing an elite RB with a strong passing game and a decent o-line should be hard for even the best D's to stop, bad D's should get dominated.

Defense:

DL: C Right now only have Antonio Smith who is a B level player, assume I will fill the other spots with C/D type players then this group will be a C

LB's: B+ On the outside Mathis and Mercilus should provide an elite pass rush, so for the OLB's in this 3-4 ill go with an A grade. Inside Dansby is a great player, B+ for him and assume ill find a C guy to pair with him.

S: B- Cyprein had a solid rookie season, I like his potential long term, will need to find another guy here

CB: B Carr and Hall are not top tier guys but are both very solid, Carr has showed some flashes in certain games of being a top tier guy, but has also been inconsistent. Hall is still playing at a high level, but getting older.

Overall Defense B-: Very strong pass rush and a solid but unspectacular secondary, will need to fill in with some run stoppers at DT and DE.
Obviously, you like your players. That's why you drafted them. I do personally think you are overrating your players. Decker and Cameron I have at B level players. Cameron is a good receiving threat but he's not a good enough blocker to be an A. Decker is a very good WR2 but I don't view him as a WR1. Williams is a C+ on my board. Mack is an A but not an A+. Merciless has upside but I don't see how you can give him more than a C right now.

Overall, I still like your offense and would give it a B+ assuming you can shore up your interior line adequately.
Just catching up on some reading...

- Agree with you on Merciless, hes probably a C player on second thought.

- Alex Mack, I dont see how you can say with a straight face hes not A+, he made second team All-Pro this year, what more does he have to do to be 'elite'?

Houston

Offense:

QB Robert Griffin III

RB Jamaal Charles

WR Eric Decker

WR Terrance Williams

WR Emmanuel Sanders

TE Jordon Cameron

LT Matt Kalil

LG

C Alex Mack

RG

RT Derek Sherrod

Defense(3-4)

DE Antonio Smith

DT

DE

OLB Robert Mathis

ILB Karlos Dansby

ILB

OLB Whitney Mercilus

SS

FS Jonathan Cyprien

CB Brandon Carr

CB Deangelo Hall

QB: A- RG3 is one of the best young QB's in the league, definitely a guy you build a franchise around for a decade.

RB: A+ Ill take Jamaal Charles over any RB in the league right now. Both as a runner and as a weapon out of the backfield.

WR: B Decker is an A but not quite in the "elite" category, Williams had a great rookie year especially towards the latter half ill give him a B, Sanders is a solid player as well hes more of a C+/B-, overall so far id give this group a B.

TE: A+ Cameron is in the Elite class, The only TE I would take over him today is Graham.

OL: B- Mack is an A+ Center, Kalil a B LT, Sherrod is a C level player, I can use him at guard or RT and will see how my guards go in order to determine where to play him later.

Offense overall I see as an A-, pairing an elite RB with a strong passing game and a decent o-line should be hard for even the best D's to stop, bad D's should get dominated.

Defense:

DL: C Right now only have Antonio Smith who is a B level player, assume I will fill the other spots with C/D type players then this group will be a C

LB's: B+ On the outside Mathis and Mercilus should provide an elite pass rush, so for the OLB's in this 3-4 ill go with an A grade. Inside Dansby is a great player, B+ for him and assume ill find a C guy to pair with him.

S: B- Cyprein had a solid rookie season, I like his potential long term, will need to find another guy here

CB: B Carr and Hall are not top tier guys but are both very solid, Carr has showed some flashes in certain games of being a top tier guy, but has also been inconsistent. Hall is still playing at a high level, but getting older.

Overall Defense B-: Very strong pass rush and a solid but unspectacular secondary, will need to fill in with some run stoppers at DT and DE.
Obviously, you like your players. That's why you drafted them. I do personally think you are overrating your players. Decker and Cameron I have at B level players. Cameron is a good receiving threat but he's not a good enough blocker to be an A. Decker is a very good WR2 but I don't view him as a WR1. Williams is a C+ on my board. Mack is an A but not an A+. Merciless has upside but I don't see how you can give him more than a C right now.

Overall, I still like your offense and would give it a B+ assuming you can shore up your interior line adequately.

- Alex Mack, I dont see how you can say with a straight face hes not A+, he made second team All-Pro this year, what more does he have to do to be 'elite'?
Play a different position?

Seriously, don't see how more than ~25-30 players should get the "A+" label. Difference makers, the truly elite, guys that dominate and you can build around.

In a dynasty draft, I'd limit the A+ to:

QB: Luck, Rodgers, Cam, Brees, Wilson, Kap

RB: Charles, McCoy

WR: Calvin, AJ, Dez, Gordon, Thomas

TE: Graham, Gronk

OL: Williams, Thomas, Smith

DL: Watt, Quinn, McCoy, Suh, Atkins

DB: Revis, Sherman, Earl,

I wouldn't argue against Kuechly or a few other being added. But Centers, even as good as Mack is, aren't guys you build a team around. I'm tempted to add Sitton and Mathis but left them off for the same reason.

Houston

Offense:

QB Robert Griffin III

RB Jamaal Charles

WR Eric Decker

WR Terrance Williams

WR Emmanuel Sanders

TE Jordon Cameron

LT Matt Kalil

LG

C Alex Mack

RG

RT Derek Sherrod

Defense(3-4)

DE Antonio Smith

DT

DE

OLB Robert Mathis

ILB Karlos Dansby

ILB

OLB Whitney Mercilus

SS

FS Jonathan Cyprien

CB Brandon Carr

CB Deangelo Hall

Defense:

Seriously, don't see how more than ~25-30 players should get the "A+" label. Difference makers, the truly elite, guys that dominate and you can build around.

I wouldn't argue against Kuechly or a few other being added. But Centers, even as good as Mack is, aren't guys you build a team around. I'm tempted to add Sitton and Mathis but left them off for the same reason.
I follow your logic, but I guess we just fundamentally disagree on the importance of the position, to me center is equally important as the blind side tackle for a line. He makes the blitz calls, adjusts the rest of the line during pre-snap, he's the brains of the operation or the QB of the entire line if you will, and hence a big difference maker.

Houston

Offense:

QB Robert Griffin III

RB Jamaal Charles

WR Eric Decker

WR Terrance Williams

WR Emmanuel Sanders

TE Jordon Cameron

LT Matt Kalil

LG

C Alex Mack

RG

RT Derek Sherrod

Defense(3-4)

DE Antonio Smith

DT

DE

OLB Robert Mathis

ILB Karlos Dansby

ILB

OLB Whitney Mercilus

SS

FS Jonathan Cyprien

CB Brandon Carr

CB Deangelo Hall

Defense:

I follow your logic, but I guess we just fundamentally disagree on the importance of the position, to me center is equally important as the blind side tackle for a line. He makes the blitz calls, adjusts the rest of the line during pre-snap, he's the brains of the operation or the QB of the entire line if you will, and hence a big difference maker.
I'm with you, but the fact that centers rarely go in the 1st round of the NFL Draft, while blind-side protectors definitely do, should say something about their relative value in the eyes of NFL teams.

Not saying they aren't important, but they also are nowhere near the top of the list.

Houston

Offense:

QB Robert Griffin III

RB Jamaal Charles

WR Eric Decker

WR Terrance Williams

WR Emmanuel Sanders

TE Jordon Cameron

LT Matt Kalil

LG

C Alex Mack

RG

RT Derek Sherrod

Defense(3-4)

DE Antonio Smith

DT

DE

OLB Robert Mathis

ILB Karlos Dansby

ILB

OLB Whitney Mercilus

SS

FS Jonathan Cyprien

CB Brandon Carr

CB Deangelo Hall

Defense:

I'm with you, but the fact that centers rarely go in the 1st round of the NFL Draft, while blind-side protectors definitely do, should say something about their relative value in the eyes of NFL teams.

Not saying they aren't important, but they also are nowhere near the top of the list.
The same could be said about RB's in recent drafts, should they also not be able to be rated as high as they are then by that logic?

Houston

Offense:

QB Robert Griffin III

RB Jamaal Charles

WR Eric Decker

WR Terrance Williams

WR Emmanuel Sanders

TE Jordon Cameron

LT Matt Kalil

LG

C Alex Mack

RG

RT Derek Sherrod

Defense(3-4)

DE Antonio Smith

DT

DE

OLB Robert Mathis

ILB Karlos Dansby

ILB

OLB Whitney Mercilus

SS

FS Jonathan Cyprien

CB Brandon Carr

CB Deangelo Hall
Adding in my own ratings now that I have some time to do it:QB: A- RG3 is one of the best young QB's in the league, definitely a guy you build a franchise around for a decade.

Defense:

Obviously, you like your players. That's why you drafted them. I do personally think you are overrating your players. Decker and Cameron I have at B level players. Cameron is a good receiving threat but he's not a good enough blocker to be an A. Decker is a very good WR2 but I don't view him as a WR1. Williams is a C+ on my board. Mack is an A but not an A+. Merciless has upside but I don't see how you can give him more than a C right now.Overall, I still like your offense and would give it a B+ assuming you can shore up your interior line adequately.
Just catching up on some reading...- Agree with you on Merciless, hes probably a C player on second thought.

The same could be said about RB's in recent drafts, should they also not be able to be rated as high as they are then by that logic?
Yes I do agree that RBs don't hold as much value. That is why I waited until like rd 12-13 to pick one.

All right my turn again for my own review:

Jay Cutler: I think he is better than perceived and you can tell that under a new offensive scheme, Cutler can still perform well. Only 30 years old, he has the ability to improve. Take also into fact hat he can run with it can allow him to get a few more crucial yards. Grade: B+

Trent Richardson: As I mentioned before, he can only go up, right? Proven to be a bust his first two years, I think he just needs to mature and grow. Only 2 years into his career, I hope it will click for him in real life this year. Grade: B on potential

Calvin Johnson/Randall Cobb/Eddie Royal: I do believe that this is going to be one of the better receiving trio in the league. Megatron is a beast alone and if he's double/triple covered, Randall Cobb will be able to take advantage of things. Royal is not the best receiver, but he showed flashes last year that he can still produce. Grade: A+ on Megatron and Cobb alone

Greg Olsen: He's getting up there in age, but he's proven he can still perform well as a receiving tight end. He built chemistry with Cutler when he was with the Bears before they foolishly traded him away. I think he'll be a great safety blanket for Cutler. Grade: B+

Nate Solder/Alex Boone/Brian De La Puente/Kevin Zeitler/Anthony Davis: Oline is fairly young and effective and should be set for protecting Cutler and the QB that will succeed him. Grade: A

Overall I do think my offense could be tops in the league. But on to the ugly scene:

Jonathan Massaquoi/Henry Melton/Sharrif Floyd/Ropati Pitoitua: I feel like this is the island of misfit toys for the DL. Whether they're young, unproven, or injured last year, they all have upside. A big huge ??? for sure. Grade: C+

Koa Misi/Arthur Brown/Jacquian Williams: I feel like Brown is meant to do big things since he was meant to take over Ray Lewis. The other guys have experience starting so they should be serviceable for what I need them to do. Grade: C+

Robert Alford/Tim Jennings: Tim Jenning is a 2-time pro bowler. Although he is getting up in age, he should have a couple of solid years in him. Alford is still unproven, but could learn from Jennings and hold is own as well. Grade: B

TJ Mcdonald/???: Missing another safety, but TJ Mcdonald is young and could develop to become a good, not great, safety. Grade: incomplete

With this said, my goal is for the defense to at least be average in the league and just hold them enough to keep the offense scoring. And beat teams in shootouts.

Overall Offense Grade: A

Overall Defense Grade: C+

Jay Cutler: I think he is better than perceived and you can tell that under a new offensive scheme, Cutler can still perform well. Only 30 years old, he has the ability to improve. Take also into fact hat he can run with it can allow him to get a few more crucial yards. Grade: B+

Trent Richardson: As I mentioned before, he can only go up, right? Proven to be a bust his first two years, I think he just needs to mature and grow. Only 2 years into his career, I hope it will click for him in real life this year. Grade: B on potential

Calvin Johnson/Randall Cobb/Eddie Royal: I do believe that this is going to be one of the better receiving trio in the league. Megatron is a beast alone and if he's double/triple covered, Randall Cobb will be able to take advantage of things. Royal is not the best receiver, but he showed flashes last year that he can still produce. Grade: A+ on Megatron and Cobb alone

Greg Olsen: He's getting up there in age, but he's proven he can still perform well as a receiving tight end. He built chemistry with Cutler when he was with the Bears before they foolishly traded him away. I think he'll be a great safety blanket for Cutler. Grade: B+

Nate Solder/Alex Boone/Brian De La Puente/Kevin Zeitler/Anthony Davis: Oline is fairly young and effective and should be set for protecting Cutler and the QB that will succeed him. Grade: A

Overall I do think my offense could be tops in the league. But on to the ugly scene:

Jonathan Massaquoi/Henry Melton/Sharrif Floyd/Ropati Pitoitua: I feel like this is the island of misfit toys for the DL. Whether they're young, unproven, or injured last year, they all have upside. A big huge ??? for sure. Grade: C+

Koa Misi/Arthur Brown/Jacquian Williams: I feel like Brown is meant to do big things since he was meant to take over Ray Lewis. The other guys have experience starting so they should be serviceable for what I need them to do. Grade: C+

Robert Alford/Tim Jennings: Tim Jenning is a 2-time pro bowler. Although he is getting up in age, he should have a couple of solid years in him. Alford is still unproven, but could learn from Jennings and hold is own as well. Grade: B

TJ Mcdonald/???: Missing another safety, but TJ Mcdonald is young and could develop to become a good, not great, safety. Grade: incomplete

With this said, my goal is for the defense to at least be average in the league and just hold them enough to keep the offense scoring. And beat teams in shootouts.

Agree with most of your grades outside of CB, where I'd go a C+/B-. Feel like Jennings play tailed off and Alford showed signs but is ultimately unproven. I will admit that Alford does have some nice upside though.

Based on what I currently see on the field, I'd have go with a lower grade, but there is some potential to raise this grade significantly if Alford continues to improve and you are able to add a nice young piece to develop.

Outside of that, you need to answer your question at safety.

Overall, I really like this offense. Definitely one of the best so far.

Yes I do agree that RBs don't hold as much value. That is why I waited until like rd 12-13 to pick one.
Agreed with the caveat that the truly exceptional can make a difference. AD's great year got the Vikings into the playoffs. Although I might overrate Charles and McCoy, they make a huge difference to their teams. The best C doesn't seem to have as big a difference.

A look at the top salaries by position (as of 4 DEC 13) provides some insight into the values of positions.

Top C: $5.5M

Top T: $10.4M

Top RB: $11.3M

Now, I don't think that's a perfect indicator, but it shows that C is valued less than others. In fact C only beats K and P.

Agree with most of your grades outside of CB, where I'd go a C+/B-. Feel like Jennings play tailed off and Alford showed signs but is ultimately unproven. I will admit that Alford does have some nice upside though.

Based on what I currently see on the field, I'd have go with a lower grade, but there is some potential to raise this grade significantly if Alford continues to improve and you are able to add a nice young piece to develop.

That's fair, but I guess I value Tim Jennings more highly even at an older age. There's gotta be something to say with him getting in the Pro Bowl the last two years and being the 9th best CB last year. At age 30, I just don't see a huge decline from last year.

That's fair, but I guess I value Tim Jennings more highly even at an older age. There's gotta be something to say with him getting in the Pro Bowl the last two years and being the 9th best CB last year. At age 30, I just don't see a huge decline from last year.
I do agree that he will be a solid veteran presence for Alford to learn from. That will certainly aid in his development.

21.29 Ricky Jean-Francois DE

Looking for some depth on the D-Line and found a quality player in Ricky Jean-Francois. Really surprised he was still available at this juncture. Is a prototypical 3-4 DE and will form a nice 3-man rotation at the DE slots with Randy Starks and Fletcher Cox.

Really wanted to address the O-line, but decided to add a quality player to continue to build the defensive front.

Users who are viewing this thread