What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***official wnba thread*** (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, if anybody is looking for a great podcast to listen to in-between off-season Cecil and Sig podcasts, I can't recommend "Queens of the Court" highly enough.

Sheryl Swoopes and Jordan Robinson. Funny, heartfelt, and informative. They love this game, and they love these ladies. Like Cecil and SIg, they find the humanity in it. It'll move you to tears at times. No hot takes. Just women that know and love this game.
They're almost certainly in on it.
Keanu Reeves, Elon Musk, Sheryl Swoopes, Jordan Robinson, and Martin Short.

That's a good start right there. Don't be naive! They're all in on it! They're all in on it together!

They're out to #### me, they're out to #### you, they're out to #### anyone who gets in their way.

And don't try to tell me about trilaterals, multinationals, multiple Oswald theories, multiple orgasms, the Blue Jays, the Orioles, the Cardinals, the Pope, the Bishop, the CIA, the Family, The Book of the Law, page 31 of Macbeth, Shirley MacLaine, Edgar Cayce, Casey Jones, Casey Stengel, KC and the Sunshine Band, "Que Sera, Sera," 'cause that doesn't work.

It all adds up. I saw a vision last night! I heard a voice, and I'm here to tell you once and for all, 'cause I'm fully convinced: It's seamless. It's perfect. It's absolute limitless light. I've been there and back. But I have to go now. I need a bath. My body is burning. I have to go soak my head. That's really not necessary, but thanks anyway.

Congrats to Carter, no one knew who she was and now more people do. Forever known as “That woman who fouled Clark” 😂

Good look.
And with the infamy, I now know that she was released from 2 different teams for basically conduct unbecoming. Seems like a real peach.

Yeah, she's a very talented player but incredibly childish and prone to outbursts and team disruption. Her rookie year, a veteran player (a black player) got on her case for not giving her all early in a game. She responded by going into the locker room and refusing to return after half. Shades of Antonio Brown here. Super talented but scrambled in the brain.
Add "dirty" and "jealous" to the list. She is making 64K this season (assuming the quick google search is correct). Clark meanwhile just signed a shoe deal for 28 million. To say Carter is punching up would be an understatement. Petty, jealous and dirty is a bad combination.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Angel needs some attention:
“I’ll look back in 20 years and be like the reason why we're watching women's basketball is not just because of one person. It's because of me, too. I want y'all to realize that"

So it's going to be about just two persons?

Congrats to Carter, no one knew who she was and now more people do. Forever known as “That woman who fouled Clark” 😂

Good look.
And with the infamy, I now know that she was released from 2 different teams for basically conduct unbecoming. Seems like a real peach.

Yeah, she's a very talented player but incredibly childish and prone to outbursts and team disruption. Her rookie year, a veteran player (a black player) got on her case for not giving her all early in a game. She responded by going into the locker room and refusing to return after half. Shades of Antonio Brown here. Super talented but scrambled in the brain.
Add "dirty" and "jealous" to the list. She is making 64K this season (assuming the quick google search is correct). Clark meanwhile just signed a shoe deal for 28 million. To say Carter is punching up would be an understatement. Petty, jealous and dirty is a bad combination.
Worked for me for half of high school and 1/4 of college.

In between all the noise of the hot takes, I beg everyone, at some point, grab yourself a cold one. Maybe pour a couple fingers of your favorite whiskey.

Pour that cold one and just watch a Minnesota Lynx game. And just watch Napheesa Collier bust her *** playing against bigger players. And how she does it with unbridled joy and love.

All this garbage aside, just watch her play and you'll feel a little better about the world.

The WNBA players don't get to choose who is popular with the public, and the cheap shots and welcome to the league stuff will absolutely loose them the eyeballs they have gotten if CC gets hurt on one of these and is out for any length of time.
Compare that to the NFL, where Justin Jefferson's peers are happy that he signed that huge contract. More money for him now means more money for them down the road. I doubt JJ gets cheap shotted out of jealousy.

Im willing to wager that I’ve watched more woman’s basketball than 95% of this board. I’d say that since Kobe retired, I’ve watched triple the number of women’s games than then men’s.
Really, that'd probably be a safe bet if you watched like three full women's games and one men's in that time.

Cameron Brink is probably a better WNBA player right now than Clark and in retrospect should have been the #1 pick but Indiana had to take Clark. Had to. But Brink's size and athleticism are otherworldly. Also looks like a super model. Notice nobody bullying her around or hot take turds yelling about her getting mistreated. Just out there blocking shots and signing shoe deals.
I'd probably agree, but mostly because the WNBA seems to be so heavily focused on bigs. Winning a title without an MVP caliber post player seems rare. WInning a title right now without an answer for A'Ja seems like a tall task. Liberty have 2 MVPs in the frontcourt, and even they couldn't do it.

Certainly no knock on Clark. She's doing great given the circumstances, and I think we might see some big improvements with a few days off to actually practice. She's an amazing passer, but It's really hard for that to translate without any actual practice time with her teammates.

Well, and her teammates aren't finishing off her passes, so her assist numbers are nerfed. Clark belongs and will be fine. Just a really tough adjustment and not a great team overall.

Just think Brink might have been the safer pick if they wanted a generational talent with size but the Fever had to take Clark.

my stupid take....if we want to bury our heads in the sand and act like we don't know what is actually going on here.....fine....be as PC or "woke" or whatever as you want...
It's because she's from Iowa, isn't it? I get it.

I think it's also because of the crazy amount of (deserved) hype over the last 3 years. ESPN has been non-stop Clark news for a while. I could see some WNBA veterans being resentful of the attention and endorsements before ever stepping foot on the court as a pro. She won't have to go play overseas in the offseason to make good money like many of the others.

She was also pretty cocky in college and got the star treatment from the refs. :shrug:

I'm that guy.....I watch basically zero women's sports except some world cup stuff in the past and a few of the women's ncaa tourney this last fall....all Clark games

my stupid take....if we want to bury our heads in the sand and act like we don't know what is actually going on here.....fine....be as PC or "woke" or whatever as you want...

I could care less about "how rookies are welcomed into the league"...."how it was when Jordan played"..."why didn't her teammates start a full bench clearing brawl"....

this Chennedy lady seems to be kind of a mess having been dismissed from at least two teams previously for team violations....as someone mentioned Antonio Brown type stuff...kind of a thug so to speak .... and the perfect person to "go take care of it"....she probably relishes that role....

it was a total cheap shot....I don't care what Clark may have said earlier etc....nothing worse than a cheap shot.....face her up and send a message (like a real woman or whatever...lol) if you want....don't cheap shot....if she is talking trash....take care of it right then....don't wait till her back is turned and cheap shot her...

the reaction from the bench, Reece, etc. is about all you need to know....this wasn't just "part of the game" and a "welcome to the league moment"....they went out of their way to send a message with a cheap shot....probably something that was talked about ahead of time....yeah I'll say it...planned...and yeah I said "they".....not just Chennedy....and that can include whoever you want it too...and however deep you want to get into the things you don't want to talk about.....

Pat, this you......?

BTW, if anybody is looking for a great podcast to listen to in-between off-season Cecil and Sig podcasts, I can't recommend "Queens of the Court" highly enough.

Sheryl Swoopes and Jordan Robinson. Funny, heartfelt, and informative. They love this game, and they love these ladies. Like Cecil and SIg, they find the humanity in it. It'll move you to tears at times. No hot takes. Just women that know and love this game.

That's a good start right there. Don't be naive! They're all in on it! They're all in on it together!

They're out to #### me, they're out to #### you, they're out to #### anyone who gets in their way.

And don't try to tell me about trilaterals, multinationals, multiple Oswald theories, multiple orgasms, the Blue Jays, the Orioles, the Cardinals, the Pope, the Bishop, the CIA, the Family, The Book of the Law, page 31 of Macbeth, Shirley MacLaine, Edgar Cayce, Casey Jones, Casey Stengel, KC and the Sunshine Band, "Que Sera, Sera," 'cause that doesn't work.

It all adds up. I saw a vision last night! I heard a voice, and I'm here to tell you once and for all, 'cause I'm fully convinced: It's seamless. It's perfect. It's absolute limitless light. I've been there and back. But I have to go now. I need a bath. My body is burning. I have to go soak my head. That's really not necessary, but thanks anyway.

Wut?

“I’ll look back in 20 years and be like the reason why we're watching women's basketball is not just because of one person. It's because of me, too. I want y'all to realize that"

She's so unlikeable but I guess it works for her because it's made her famous. And having a villain to balance out the golden prospect is probably great for getting people interested too.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC

Wut?
He said, "that can include whoever you want it too...and however deep you want to get into the things you don't want to talk about....."

She's so unlikeable but I guess it works for her because it's made her famous. And having a villain to balance out the golden prospect is probably great for getting people interested too.
Her and Caitlin are just intertwined forever. I don't think anybody can say exactly what made Caitlin the public phenomenon that she is. But certainly her rivalry with Reese was a big part of it. Something about that rivalry just grabbed people.

I like Reese a lot. She plays hard, and she's tough. Her and Caitlin both are, and that makes it more fun.

And maybe she just doesn't like Caitlin. That seems fairly obvious no matter what coach speak gets in the way.

I'm apparently crazy in a world where 50 year old men clutch their pearls at the thought of athletes not liking each other, but I'm okay with that. We love Jordan. He hated everybody. Bird and Magic learned to respect each other, but for a long time, they didn't like each other.

So, Reese doesn't like Clark. Whatever, it's fine.

And not to take sides because I love both of them. But if Chennedy wasn't a total knucklehead, Reese would be 6-1 against Clark right now.

In between all the noise of the hot takes, I beg everyone, at some point, grab yourself a cold one. Maybe pour a couple fingers of your favorite whiskey.

Pour that cold one and just watch a Minnesota Lynx game. And just watch Napheesa Collier bust her *** playing against bigger players. And how she does it with unbridled joy and love.

All this garbage aside, just watch her play and you'll feel a little better about the world.
I hadn't seen WNBA basketball in at least 15 years and there seems to be a lot of interest here. So I searched Minnesota Lynx and watched some full game footage. It looks like decent high school basketball. Schools with like 100-200 kids per grade. That's fine, many people enjoy watching high school basketball. The skills are much more relatable to the weekend warrior who still hoops on occasion. I can understand why some would enjoy watching this more than the NBA.

I hadn't seen WNBA basketball in at least 15 years and there seems to be a lot of interest here. So I searched Minnesota Lynx and watched some full game footage. It looks like decent high school basketball. Schools with like 100-200 kids per grade. That's fine, many people enjoy watching high school basketball. The skills are much more relatable to the weekend warrior who still hoops on occasion. I can understand why some would enjoy watching this more than the NBA.
You watched full game footage and diagnosed it all in 24 minutes. Nice.

Where are you playing or coaching now?

Her and Caitlin are just intertwined forever. I don't think anybody can say exactly what made Caitlin the public phenomenon that she is. But certainly her rivalry with Reese was a big part of it. Something about that rivalry just grabbed people.

I like Reese a lot. She plays hard, and she's tough. Her and Caitlin both are, and that makes it more fun.

And maybe she just doesn't like Caitlin. That seems fairly obvious no matter what coach speak gets in the way.

I'm apparently crazy in a world where 50 year old men clutch their pearls at the thought of athletes not liking each other, but I'm okay with that. We love Jordan. He hated everybody. Bird and Magic learned to respect each other, but for a long time, they didn't like each other.

Preach. We love a competitor until they wear long lashes apparently.*

*Rodman excluded

*Rodman excluded
I appreciate the game, but the lashes are nasty. On any woman.

Hey man, some of us just like women's sports, okay? It's fine if you don't but you don't need to crap all over those of us who enjoy it. If this is how you find joy in life, do some self evaluation.

*Rodman excluded
I appreciate the game, but the lashes are nasty. On any woman.

:shrug: I dig 'em

And not to take sides because I love both of them. But if Chennedy wasn't a total knucklehead, Reese would be 6-1 against Clark right now.
She’s been on much better teams
Absolutely. Again, not taking sides. Both players are awesome.

Only brought it up to point out that Angel is not just some also-ran in this story.

And while LSU definitely had the better teams, I do want to point out that Kate Martin is balling out with the Aces.

the NBA has done an absolutely terrific job of promoting their product, the WNBA. this is absolutely amazing stuff.

the WNBA has never had so much coverage and it benefits everyone involved in that league. fan interest (good and bad) seems to be way up. that means more merchandise sales, better tv deal, higher salaries.

they made a plan, worked it and it's starting to pay off.

She’s been on much better teams
Absolutely. Again, not taking sides. Both players are awesome.

Only brought it up to point out that Angel is not just some also-ran in this story.

And while LSU definitely had the better teams, I do want to point out that Kate Martin is balling out with the Aces.
Actually, she is. But hey, if games she plays that aren't against the Fever are getting TV ratings like any of the games with Clark, please let us know.

It is endlessly funny about how threatened some men get about women who are good as sports.

You watched full game footage and diagnosed it all in 24 minutes. Nice.

Where are you playing or coaching now?
I searched for full game footage to get a better perspective than what highlights might portray. The initial diagnosis was within 5 minutes but as I watched more, I saw some nice footwork, some good shots. It's a higher level than I initially said but not competitive with the biggest high school teams. And that's fine.

To the point made by the others who responded to me, I don't feel threatened by women who are good at sports. I do agree that my contribution to this thread is negative in nature so I apologize for that.

It is endlessly funny about how threatened some men get about women who are good as sports.
What?

I see we've entered the "if you don't agree with me that the WNBA is great you must have a small wee-wee" stage of arguments.

I’ve been a basketball junkie my entire life. I’ve watched more women’s basketbal in the past two years than I did in probably my previous 45 years of life combined. Part of that is the talent level in women’s basketball is off the charts good right now, all the way down through high school. Part of that is Caitlyn Clark. Her impact on the visibility for women’s basketball was immeasurable. A Pistol Pete like impact on the college game.

All that said, the petty jealousy (and that’s putting it kindly) of Clark from other WNBA players is off putting. It’s actually made me watch very little, and care less with each passing day, about the WNBA than I otherwise would have since every other headline is some nonsense about ___________ (insert player name *cough* Angel Reese *cough*) feeling disrespected that Clark has received so much attention when they deserve attention too. They need to all get over it already.

I’ve been a basketball junkie my entire life. I’ve watched more women’s basketbal in the past two years than I did in probably my previous 45 years of life combined. Part of that is the talent level in women’s basketball is off the charts good right now, all the way down through high school. Part of that is Caitlyn Clark. Her impact on the visibility for women’s basketball was immeasurable. A Pistol Pete like impact on the college game.

All that said, the petty jealousy (and that’s putting it kindly) of Clark from other WNBA players is off putting. It’s actually made me watch very little, and care less with each passing day, about the WNBA than I otherwise would have since every other headline is some nonsense about ___________ (insert player name *cough* Angel Reese *cough*) feeling disrespected that Clark has received so much attention when they deserve attention too. They need to all get over it already.
lol at saying "petty jealousy" put you off of the WNBA

do you watch literally any other sports at all?

Sure, plenty. I guess the roar of, yes “petty jealousy,” that’s being verbalized towards Clark by her (now) peers seems volumes more than any crying I’ve ever seen/heard from NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB veterans. And for the record I could give two ****s about players getting physical with her and “welcoming” her to the League. Cheap shots are another matter.

But surely, based upon your response, you’ve got some great recent examples of similar reactions to #1 overall picks being hated on by the entirety of the league they are entering. Wemby? Connor Bedard? Others?

Sure, plenty. I guess the roar of, yes “petty jealousy,” that’s being verbalized towards Clark by her (now) peers seems volumes more than any crying I’ve ever seen/heard from NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB veterans. And for the record I could give two ****s about players getting physical with her and “welcoming” her to the League. Cheap shots are another matter.

But surely, based upon your response, you’ve got some great recent examples of similar reactions to #1 overall picks being hated on by the entirety of the league they are entering. Wemby? Connor Bedard? Others?

any individual that enters a new arena touted as "this person is far & away the best/most important to ever do this" is going to get tested. people are going to hate them. people are going to doubt their skills. as a Packers fan i very vividly recall Terrell Buckley, drafted #5, was so brash that even Packers fans hated him. maybe more than any other fanbase. i know people that wouldn't watch Packers games because Buckley trash talked too much (or whatever they're rationale was).

whether sports or business. the new kid in HS with the good hair. doesn't matter. people don't want to be told that some rookie/newbie is better than they are and they're going to try to prove it.

Caitlin Clark isn't the first, nor last, to ever experience being tested.

the coverage of her prior to the WNBA was "this woman is the best to ever touch a basketball. she is going to absolutely torch the WNBA and vault it to heights unseen before."
and when .... Taurasi?? pushed back a little and said "she's in for a surprise" people went berserk that someone would dare challenge Clark's obvious basketball supremacy. just the mere idea that Caitlin Clark might run in to difficulty in a professional league sent people, who don't watch, in to a tizzy of upset.

now imagine the women who play in that league having to hear for 2 years "there's a woman coming in here that will dominate all of you so get ready to look like ****". you expect them to bow down and just let her run free? they aren't going to try proving everyone else wrong? they're just going to lay down?

Clark gets cheapshotted (a hip check) and, i believe it was, a Chicago paper said that the woman who checked her should be arrested for assault? i mean, come on. Angel Reese got roped down by her neck and slammed to the court but that didn't make any splash.

Clark is getting the treatment rookies get in every sport but because there are a million cameras following her every move people think every little micro-action that occurs is the first time anything like it has ever occurred to any athlete ever. it's ridiculous. she's big girl, she'll figure out the physicality, speed and chess of the WNBA and be just fine. everyone can stop trying to protect her from afar. she's gonna do just fine.

eta: and i forgot to add, since it's a dead period for sports and every sports media outlet is frantically covering Clark all day... every outlet i've heard talking about her has said Clark is a legendary, Larry Bird-level, non-stop, **** talker who gives more than she takes. so, decent chance she's stirring the pot and inviting some of this "petty jealousy" that you're concerned about.

Last edited:
they (especially Reese) celebrated a cheap shot like a last second buzzer beater....then the perp (Chennedy) gives a cowardly response in the post game interview...."I'm not answering any Caitlin questions"....if you are woman enough to go out of your way to intentionally deliver a cheap shot....be woman enough to stand up for it and answer questions.....and they they double or triple down by Reese "not making herself available to talk" after the game....for which she received a $1000 fine.....she wusss's out in a cowardly way and dodges the tough questions she was going to receive cause she doesn't want to give an honest answer....easier to sneak away like a coward even tho she normally likes to have the spotlight on her and if doing good she is the first to run to the podium....

Reporter: "Angel, why did you celebrate that cheap shot like it was a buzzer beater".....

Reese: "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"....

Last edited:

any individual that enters a new arena touted as "this person is far & away the best/most important to ever do this" is going to get tested. people are going to hate them. people are going to doubt their skills. as a Packers fan i very vividly recall Terrell Buckley, drafted #5, was so brash that even Packers fans hated him. maybe more than any other fanbase. i know people that wouldn't watch Packers games because Buckley trash talked too much (or whatever they're rationale was).

whether sports or business. the new kid in HS with the good hair. doesn't matter. people don't want to be told that some rookie/newbie is better than they are and they're going to try to prove it.

the coverage of her prior to the WNBA was "this woman is the best to ever touch a basketball. she is going to absolutely torch the WNBA and vault it to heights unseen before."
and when .... Taurasi?? pushed back a little and said "she's in for a surprise" people went berserk that someone would dare challenge Clark's obvious basketball supremacy. just the mere idea that Caitlin Clark might run in to difficulty in a professional league sent people, who don't watch, in to a tizzy of upset.

now imagine the women who play in that league having to hear for 2 years "there's a woman coming in here that will dominate all of you so get ready to look like ****". you expect them to bow down and just let her run free? they aren't going to try proving everyone else wrong? they're just going to lay down?

Clark gets cheapshotted (a hip check) and, i believe it was, a Chicago paper said that the woman who checked her should be arrested for assault? i mean, come on. Angel Reese got roped down by her neck and slammed to the court but that didn't make any splash.

Clark is getting the treatment rookies get in every sport but because there are a million cameras following her every move people think every little micro-action that occurs is the first time anything like it has ever occurred to any athlete ever. it's ridiculous. she's big girl, she'll figure out the physicality, speed and chess of the WNBA and be just fine. everyone can stop trying to protect her from afar. she's gonna do just fine.

eta: and i forgot to add, since it's a dead period for sports and every sports media outlet is frantically covering Clark all day... every outlet i've heard talking about her has said Clark is a legendary, Larry Bird-level, non-stop, **** talker who gives more than she takes. so, decent chance she's stirring the pot and inviting some of this "petty jealousy" that you're concerned about.
RIP Furley's Strawmen - we barely knew thee.

agree with most of this.....but obvious cheap shots are 100% little b!tch moves .....if you want to send a message.....man up and do it right....don't deliver a cheap shot and then have your bench explode like you just hit the game winning buzzer beater.....and then man up and answer the questions after the game....don't pull another little b!tch move by declining to answer questions....and also don't pull another little b!tch move like Reese did and not make yourself available after the game and get fined for it....if you are going to pull that cheap crap and celebrate it....man up and own it afterwards....I would have had more respect for them if they would have come out and said, "yeah we don't like her and we wanted to send a message"....I still would have questioned the need for it to be through a cheap shot, but at least then they would have owned it instead running away like little cowards....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread