What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***official wnba thread*** (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that said, the petty jealousy (and that’s putting it kindly) of Clark from other WNBA players is off putting. It’s actually made me watch very little, and care less with each passing day, about the WNBA than I otherwise would have since every other headline is some nonsense about ___________ (insert player name *cough* Angel Reese *cough*) feeling disrespected that Clark has received so much attention when they deserve attention too. They need to all get over it already.
Yep. The idea that rookies need to be hazed and that this is normal and should be accepted is part of the problem. Sorry to the frat guys here who thought hazing was awesome when they were in college, but it's stupid.

You have to give Clark and her teammates props, though. 11 games in 20 days is a rough stretch, and unlike the current soft NBA players, we didn't hear about any load management. Imagine if the Clippers ever had to play 11 games in 20 days. Kawhi Leonard might play in four of them. :lol:
lol @ hazing

they aren't being taped to the stanchion and flogged with socks filled with batteries

a little physicality and some trash talk is sports. but since it's happening to Caitlin Clark, in a sport that you don't watch, it's a national crisis. foh.
I said rookies with regards to hazing; I didn't say it was happening to just Clark (because it isn't).

It helps to actually read what people say instead of overreacting. foh yourself.

*Rodman excluded
Lot's of good potential for a "Bad Girls" narrative on the Sky ala those Pistons teams he was on. Got Carter and Reese. Just need Cardoso to start shoving some folks

There's been some talk in here about how aggressive play and cheap fouls are horrible basketball and off-putting to watch, but the Bad Boy Pistons were one of my favorite teams. They make documentaries about them. They are legends in Detroit. I like a little roughneck with my sports, but I'm a high-T alpha dog of a man, so I can't relate to the snowflakery and wispy share your feelings guy who don't want poor Clark to get pushed.
I have zero problem with a hard foul going to the hoop....or running over her going through a screen or something....going out of your way and delivering a blindside cheap shot 90 feet from the basket out in the middle of nowhere is a totally different story....especially when it is celebrated like she did something great...and especially when you run away like little cowards afterwards....little b!tch move from start to finish....

Man, this isolated event in sports that we've never seen anywhere else in the history of athletics really has you triggered. I think it's great you're in here talking about this how this traumatic event has impacted you as that's the first step in getting the help you need to heal and move on.
May I ask politely why you are defending an obvious cheap shot and the celebration that occurred after it?

Seems odd imo

I certainly did not defend it. I'm just not apoplectic about it. It happened, the league is dealing with it, I hope this isn't a reoccurring thing that Clark has to deal with.

The world and hisotry of sports is FULL of incidents of poor sportsmanship and cheap shots. I don't like it, but I don't clutch my pearls, wag my finger and ANNOUNCE that I'm never watching a sport again because of it.

And if I cite an example I get admonished for using a "strawman". It's so dumb. We didn't stop watching the NBA when Kermitt Washington almost killed Rudy Tomjonavich or when Draymond Green started kicking guys in the balls. Did you quit watching the NFL when Gronk cheap shotted Tavarious White? Hell, I posted a story of Diana Turassi punching Kesley Plum in the stomach her rookie year. There are countless examples of cheap shots in sports that are still thriving. Not saying it's right nor am I defending it but my god, the people screaming about Clark getting hip checked are ridiculous. Clark isn't in the hospital. But the level of outrage over this is silly, especially since 99% of the people frothing at the mouth don't watch WNBA.

*Rodman excluded
Lot's of good potential for a "Bad Girls" narrative on the Sky ala those Pistons teams he was on. Got Carter and Reese. Just need Cardoso to start shoving some folks

There's been some talk in here about how aggressive play and cheap fouls are horrible basketball and off-putting to watch, but the Bad Boy Pistons were one of my favorite teams. They make documentaries about them. They are legends in Detroit. I like a little roughneck with my sports, but I'm a high-T alpha dog of a man, so I can't relate to the snowflakery and wispy share your feelings guy who don't want poor Clark to get pushed.
I have zero problem with a hard foul going to the hoop....or running over her going through a screen or something....going out of your way and delivering a blindside cheap shot 90 feet from the basket out in the middle of nowhere is a totally different story....especially when it is celebrated like she did something great...and especially when you run away like little cowards afterwards....little b!tch move from start to finish....

Man, this isolated event in sports that we've never seen anywhere else in the history of athletics really has you triggered. I think it's great you're in here talking about this how this traumatic event has impacted you as that's the first step in getting the help you need to heal and move on.
May I ask politely why you are defending an obvious cheap shot and the celebration that occurred after it?

Seems odd imo

I certainly did not defend it. I'm just not apoplectic about it. It happened, the league is dealing with it, I hope this isn't a reoccurring thing that Clark has to deal with.

The world and hisotry of sports is FULL of incidents of poor sportsmanship and cheap shots. I don't like it, but I don't clutch my pearls, wag my finger and ANNOUNCE that I'm never watching a sport again because of it.

And if I cite an example I get admonished for using a "strawman". It's so dumb. We didn't stop watching the NBA when Kermitt Washington almost killed Rudy Tomjonavich or when Draymond Green started kicking guys in the balls. Did you quit watching the NFL when Gronk cheap shotted Tavarious White? Hell, I posted a story of Diana Turassi punching Kesley Plum in the stomach her rookie year. There are countless examples of cheap shots in sports that are still thriving. Not saying it's right nor am I defending it but my god, the people screaming about Clark getting hip checked are ridiculous. Clark isn't in the hospital. But the level of outrage over this is silly, especially since 99% of the people frothing at the mouth don't watch WNBA.
No one is pearl clutching nearly as much as you want them to be. I think most here are saying people didn't watch the sport in the first place and now that they have some momentum and a marketable player, we'd rather watch basketball and not WWE. But you do you and keep up the over-dramatic narrative I guess.

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

No one is pearl clutching nearly as much as you want them to be. I think most here are saying people didn't watch the sport in the first place and now that they have some momentum and a marketable player, we'd rather watch basketball and not WWE. But you do you and keep up the over-dramatic narrative I guess.

Lol @ WWE. 2 seconds of a flagrant foul happening and it's WWE. Glad to see you're still the same after the political forum closed.

Who is giving out all these pearl necklaces?

I like Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese. And maybe even that tall blonde girl who looks like she should be named Angel but apparently isn't. The jealousy is certainly unbecoming, but it's also understandable. These are 20 year olds who are used to being the spotlight. And now it's monopolized by someone else, so they're acting out. Most of them are still kids. Some of them just have no coping mechanisms because they've never had to. Some of them might be prejudiced. 'Cause AB says she has a trait they don't, and they don't like people with that trait. Who knows? Remember that time David Duval pushed a young Tiger Woods into the drink on 11? It's gonna happen.

OK, I may have made that last one up completely, but I didn't make up the sticks that seem to be running from rectum to cerebellum in people rn. Just enjoy the ride, ffs.

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

I don't come to this forum too much anymore and this is probably why.....and GM with all due respect I don't know your schtick...or I forgot when I used to come here more...but I am kinda getting a sense of it....bolded pretty much sums it up....talk one way and then when called out....start riding the fence and back pedaling....you did it all here in the matter of one sentence...no worries....and that's fine ....you do you....it's not all about the "fierceness" of the hip check....it's more about what was behind it and the intent ....and the celebration afterwards...did Clark even really get hurt at all?....no not at all....as far as cheap shots go in sports this doesn't even probably crack the top 5000 all time....but that's not the point...you said earlier in the thread that you like Reese....cool....you like the thug/"alpha" mentality or whatever you eluded to earlier and that's fine...again....you do you...I think many know what the real point is behind the hip check....and their ensuing cowardly response of not wanting to talk about anything Caitlin Clark or like your girl Reese did, just run away and not make herself available.... but it seems to be escaping you IMO....

peace out I'll crawl back to the SP and MDF where I belong... :suds:

I love that the WNBA players are so physical. I also think the 80's NBA was far better than the current game, but that's not just due to the ticky-tack refereeing we have these days.

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

As a raider fan, I wonder, what are these cheap shots you speak of?

And you said touasi elbowed her. Now she punched her :eek: STRAW MAN!

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

Fair enough I guess

To me, the way it went down, the celebration from the bench, the refusal to discuss it after the game….is chicken **** and they should be called out for it.
If you don’t like her or want to “send a message” put her in the front row when she drives to the basket or something. But at least OWN IT

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

I don't come to this forum too much anymore and this is probably why.....and GM with all due respect I don't know your schtick...or I forgot when I used to come here more...but I am kinda getting a sense of it....bolded pretty much sums it up....talk one way and then when called out....start riding the fence and back pedaling....you did it all here in the matter of one sentence...no worries....and that's fine ....you do you....it's not all about the "fierceness" of the hip check....it's more about what was behind it and the intent ....and the celebration afterwards...did Clark even really get hurt at all?....no not at all....as far as cheap shots go in sports this doesn't even probably crack the top 5000 all time....but that's not the point...you said earlier in the thread that you like Reese....cool....you like the thug/"alpha" mentality or whatever you eluded to earlier and that's fine...again....you do you...I think many know what the real point is behind the hip check....and their ensuing cowardly response of not wanting to talk about anything Caitlin Clark or like your girl Reese did, just run away and not make herself available.... but it seems to be escaping you IMO....

……

BUT WHO IS ACTUALLY DOING THIS!!!!!!

You and Furley keep claiming people are losing their minds when I don't know of anyone that is as worked up as your "counter" arguments claim...hence the "strawman" accusations.

Outstanding first half of the Liberty-Sky game.
Liberty get up by 17 in the 1st quarter. Just completely outclassing them in every way (as they should).

And then Chennedy Carter in the 2nd quarter....wow. She almost single-handedly brought the Sky back into it. She's just so freaking fast and explosive.

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

Welcome to the NBA thread* Its similar to the Eagles thread, just a different cast of characters.

Less backhanded compliments, but much more smarmy.

(* - Yes its the CC thread but its all the same people/shtick. )

Last edited:
*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

Fair enough I guess

To me, the way it went down, the celebration from the bench, the refusal to discuss it after the game….is chicken **** and they should be called out for it.
If you don’t like her or want to “send a message” put her in the front row when she drives to the basket or something. But at least OWN IT

this

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

Lol @ WWE. 2 seconds of a flagrant foul happening and it's WWE. Glad to see you're still the same after the political forum closed.
I've said all along it's damn near unwatchable because of the constant holding and grabbing and that kind of nonsense is way more of a problem than Reese and Kennedy being punks.

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

Fair enough I guess

crazy.... cause if Reese was my daughter and I saw her celebrating a blatant cheap shot like they just won the WNBA final...I would whoop her ***....and in the same breath I will say that from the time my daughter was in 5th grade or whatever I told her if a girl is feeling "too comfortable" you need to make her "feel you" and put her in the front row if necessary....(funny to hear you say that same language).....but don't make it a total cheap shot.....in the normal flow of the game, send the message.....don't do what Chennedy did and definitely don't celebrate it like you were a gang member watching your homie give somebody a cu da gra curb stomp....

Last edited:
*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

……
......cool....

see you in the raiders thread later in the SP when you keep complaining about still getting screwed because of Al....an unfair schedule....the league hating you.... and the refs having a "subconscious bias" because of your uniform color or whatever....etc...lol

Liberty get up by 17 in the 1st quarter. Just completely outclassing them in every way (as they should).

And then Chennedy Carter in the 2nd quarter....wow. She almost single-handedly brought the Sky back into it. She's just so freaking fast and explosive.
And that's just when throwing dirty body checks!

But hey, 7 for 18 shooting in a double digit home loss...impressive!

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

Nice strawman you got here, Gaslight Ref.

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

Serious question: would you rather take an elbow or a fist to the stomach. I open this up to the floor.

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

And if I cite an example I get admonished for using a "strawman". It's so dumb. We didn't stop watching the NBA when Kermitt Washington almost killed Rudy Tomjonavich or when Draymond Green started kicking guys in the balls. Did you quit watching the NFL when Gronk cheap shotted Tavarious White? Hell, I posted a story of Diana Turassi punching

Kesley Plum in the stomach her rookie year. There are countless examples of cheap shots in sports that are still thriving. Not saying it's right nor am I defending it but my god, the people screaming about Clark getting hip checked are ridiculous. Clark isn't in the hospital. But the level of outrage over this is silly, especially since 99% of the people frothing at the mouth don't watch WNBA.
Fair enough I guess

Sure, I understand not liking or wanting to watch a sport with players who exemplify poor sportsmanship and refuse to own it after the fact. I do. I think failure to own up to a mistake and say "sorry" is a problem in society as a whole and hat sucks.

Maybe all this new attention from new fans to the WNBA will quell some of your concerns. Sound fair?

You and Furley keep claiming people are losing their minds when I don't know of anyone that is as worked up as your "counter" arguments claim...hence the "strawman" accusations.

Now THIS is a strawman argument.

No, wait, this is gaslighting.

Pssssst.....

I'm going to count the number of times Stinkin Ref typed the word "B!tch" in here to show you how you're wrong when I sober up tomorrow. That's not a word good, Christian, normal people use as a matter of course. Something got that boy triggered, I'll let you ruminate on what it was.

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

I've said all along it's damn near unwatchable because of the constant holding and grabbing and that kind of nonsense is way more of a problem than Reese and Kennedy being punks.

Ok, then they lost a viewer here. I get it. The WNBA is not for you. You much prefer the aesthetics and art that is Georgia Tech offensive football. No grabbing or holding there to harm you.

Also no winning.

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

……
......cool....

see you in the raiders thread later in the SP when you keep complaining about still getting screwed because of Al....an unfair schedule....the league hating you.... and the refs having a "subconscious bias" because of your uniform color or whatever....etc...lol

Dude, are you okay?

Seriously

Hi. I don't watch any kind of basketball but
I posted a story of Diana Turassi punching Kesley Plum in the stomach her rookie year.
I remember reading a story about her not liking Clark for ???? reason so either this is some sort of rookie "hazing", she can't control her emotions or she's just kind of a terrible person. The trurh is probably somewhere in the middle.

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

Serious question: would you rather take an elbow or a fist to the stomach. I open this up to the floor.
Straw fist

And that's just when throwing dirty body checks!

But hey, 7 for 18 shooting in a double digit home loss...impressive!
Yeah, it all fell apart in the 2nd half, and it'll just go down as a blowout loss to a super team.

But she's a lot of fun to watch, and that 2nd quarter was great to see. She willed them back into it when they looked dead in the water from the tip-off.

The Liberty are just so good. When they get rolling against a young team, it can get out of hand pretty quickly.

I posted a story of Diana Turassi punching Kesley Plum in the stomach her rookie year.
I remember reading a story about her not liking Clark for ???? reason so either this is some sort of rookie "hazing", she can't control her emotions or she's just kind of a terrible person. The trurh is probably somewhere in the middle.
"I don't watch any kind of basketball but"
Not singling you out (I appreciate you just admitting it). That sums up a lot of what's going on right now.

People got up in arms before the season when Diana Taurasi explained exactly what was about to happen with Caitin. Here's the quote.

"WNBA veteran Diana Taurasi came under fire ahead of the 2024 season for her comments surrounding No. 1 overall pick Caitlin Clark. In short, Taurasi argued that Clark would struggle in her first season with the Indiana Fever.

“Look, SVP, reality is coming,” Taurasi told ESPN's Scott Van Pelt about Clark in early April. “There’s levels to this thing. And that’s just life. We all went through it. You see it on the NBA side, and you’re going to see it on this side. You look superhuman playing against 18-year-olds, but you’re going to (be playing against) some grown women that have been playing professional basketball for a long time.” "

Somehow that got interpreted as DT not liking Clark.

It seems like the players in the WNBA like Clark (except Reese and Carter of course).

What they don't like is dealing with the "I don't watch basketball, but" crowd.

And I will continue to urge people to just watch.

You may like it, you may not (and if "not" seriously what are we doing here).

But behind all this is just a really fun League. I like Clark a lot, and I'm glad this rookie class motivated me to give this League a shot.

Just a good spot for a league. Obviously there are the exciting rookies on the young teams trying to find their way.

Then you've got A'ja and the Aces trying for the first 3-peat since since the Swoopes/Cooper Comets took the league by storm a quarter century ago.

The Sun seem to be on an absolute mission this year hoping to get over the hump.

Liberty are awesome. Lynx trying to make the leap.

Just like the NBA and the NFL, the league is built on the backs of underpaid athletes flying commercial playing in empty arenas, working second jobs in the off season, because they just love the damn game.

I think they've built a pretty cool League that's worth checking out.

Again maybe you like it, maybe you don't.

Last edited:
Not singling you out (I appreciate you just admitting it). That sums up a lot of what's going on right now.

People got up in arms before the season when Diana Taurasi explained exactly what was about to happen with Caitin. Here's the quote.

"WNBA veteran Diana Taurasi came under fire ahead of the 2024 season for her comments surrounding No. 1 overall pick Caitlin Clark. In short, Taurasi argued that Clark would struggle in her first season with the Indiana Fever.

“Look, SVP, reality is coming,” Taurasi told ESPN's Scott Van Pelt about Clark in early April. “There’s levels to this thing. And that’s just life. We all went through it. You see it on the NBA side, and you’re going to see it on this side. You look superhuman playing against 18-year-olds, but you’re going to (be playing against) some grown women that have been playing professional basketball for a long time.” "

It seems like the players in the WNBA like Clark (except Reese and Carter of course).

Like anything, the devil is in the details, and what is that old expression...it's not what you say, but how you say it. Taurasi came off terribly when discussing Clark in those games late in the college year. Yes, she was correct in that the WNBA will be tougher than college, but she came off like someone who was praying that Clark would instantly fail. That is why she got so much blowback.

And I think this idea that everyone loves Clark because she is white is way overblown. I am sure there are some late comers who are rooting for her just for the reason, just like I am sure there are some later comers who are rooting against her because she is white, but she is not the first white woman to be a college star. Far from it. I think Nick Wright said it well recently when he said she has captured the country's attention because she looked like a female Steph Curry, someone who could pull up from anywhere once she passes half court and nail a 3. People love to be entertained, and a player who can make crazy 3s, like Steph could and still can, are fun to watch.

And I will continue to urge people to just watch.

You may like it, you may not (and if "not" seriously what are we doing here).

But behind all this is just a really fun League. I like Clark a lot, and I'm glad this rookie class motivated me to give this League a shot.

Just a good spot for a league. Obviously there are the exciting rookies on the young teams trying to find their way.

Then you've got A'ja and the Aces trying for the first 3-peat since since the Swoopes/Cooper Comets took the league by storm a quarter century ago.

The Sun seem to be on an absolute mission this year hoping to get over the hump.

Liberty are awesome. Lynx trying to make the leap.

Just like the NBA and the NFL, the league is built on the backs of underpaid athletes flying commercial playing in empty arenas, working second jobs in the off season, because they just love the damn game.

I think they've built a pretty cool League that's worth checking out.

Again maybe you like it, maybe you don't.
The WNBA has already won, as it is being talked about everywhere this week. Who would have thought that would ever happen? And yeah, the league needs villians like Carter and Reese to make it more interesting, so in a sense, they are playing their parts well.

Chennedy Carter: I happened to read about her background, which is ..interesting. She gave up her senior year at Texas A&M, and was drafted 4th by the Atlanta Dream in 2020. She had a strong rookie season, but midway through 2021, she had “conduct detrimental to the team” for threatening to fight a teammate who asked her to improve her attitude. Carter was traded to the LA Sparks, who released her during the 2022 season for “poor conduct.” She played last year in Turkey.

*Rodman excluded

Seems odd imo

Ok, then they lost a viewer here. I get it. The WNBA is not for you. You much prefer the aesthetics and art that is Georgia Tech offensive football. No grabbing or holding there to harm you.

Also no winning.
Are you ever not a tool?

Like anything, the devil is in the details, and what is that old expression...it's not what you say, but how you say it. Taurasi came off terribly when discussing Clark in those games late in the college year. Yes, she was correct in that the WNBA will be tougher than college, but she came off like someone who was praying that Clark would instantly fail. That is why she got so much blowback.

And I think this idea that everyone loves Clark because she is white is way overblown. I am sure there are some late comers who are rooting for her just for the reason, just like I am sure there are some later comers who are rooting against her because she is white, but she is not the first white woman to be a college star. Far from it. I think Nick Wright said it well recently when he said she has captured the country's attention because she looked like a female Steph Curry, someone who could pull up from anywhere once she passes half court and nail a 3. People love to be entertained, and a player who can make crazy 3s, like Steph could and still can, are fun to watch.
Logo 3 pointers, incredible passing, and clutch scoring. Yes, I enjoy watching both Caitlin Clark and Steph Curry because they are white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread