What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Career change into sales??? (1 Viewer)

Sounds like you are more interested in Account Management. There are AM positions that have some of the commision/income benefits of Sales but don't involve prospecting or closing. But instead of the unique skillsets of prospecting and closing you must have great follow up, problem solving skills, and a general service mindset.
I've done both net new sales, account management, and roles that were a bit of both.  There is definitely an overlap in skill sets if you're any good at either.  The AM side is usually a little less stressful but typically doesn't have the same financial upside.  And while in my experience you still have a "quota", you're hitting it by retaining and growing current customers a bit, not having to go find and close new business. But at least in SaaS/technology sales you still have to get your customers to agree to terms and ultimately sign on the line which is dotted to nail down the renewal.  IMHO in the right role it can be a good way to dip your toe into the world of sales without quite as much pressure, particularly if your strengths are in relationship building and problem solving.

Plus you've been in Purchasing so you know that side of things, which would obviously be to your advantage as you deal with procurement folks.

:goodposting:

same here.  20+ years. B2B SaaS
:hifive: .  Been in tech for over 20 years now, and SaaS since well before it was called that.

I've done both net new sales, account management, and roles that were a bit of both.  There is definitely an overlap in skill sets if you're any good at either.  The AM side is usually a little less stressful but typically doesn't have the same financial upside.  And while in my experience you still have a "quota", you're hitting it by retaining and growing current customers a bit, not having to go find and close new business. But at least in SaaS/technology sales you still have to get your customers to agree to terms and ultimately sign on the line which is dotted to nail down the renewal.  IMHO in the right role it can be a good way to dip your toe into the world of sales without quite as much pressure, particularly if your strengths are in relationship building and problem solving.

Plus you've been in Purchasing so you know that side of things, which would obviously be to your advantage as you deal with procurement folks.

:hifive: .  Been in tech for over 20 years now, and SaaS since well before it was called that.
We were selling client/server remote access application through Citrix Winframe back in 97/98.....on dial up!!!!

:hifive:

Purchasing to Sales is an interesting leap. I’ve been in Sales all my life and I could never, ever see myself on the other side of the table with Procurement.  

High end Sales is closer to being an attorney than anything. Have to be good at research, excellent communicator, persuasive making a case (value proposition), etc. Critical thinking, great writing skills also are major pluses. 

Building relationships is key but you can’t rely on that as much anymore. Some people cannot deal with a quota over their head. Some people aren’t competitive. Some won’t want the travel. It’s got to be the right fit but for those who have talent and grit it can be hugely rewarding. Very few jobs pay as much. Base salaries are 6 figures and then commission typically is at least the same at quota. Upside 2-4X of that. 

If you underachieve you will be let go. The Sales world is littered with resumes of reps who move to new companies every 2 years.  We’re putting 2 people on performance improvement plans tomorrow.  Likely out in 30-60 days. 

Account Management is one way to go. Another could be Customer Success. Those 2 positions can be similar in pay, may be responsible for SaaS renewals, 6th fastest growing job according to LinkedIn. Less stress, less comp but still pays well. 

How much does big $ drive you? Or seeing yourself #1 out of 30 people on a team? If driven and competitive it may be a good fit. If you’re OK with just doing enough to get by don’t get into Sales. You would hate it. 

edited to add - but it can be a ton of fun with the right company and team. Work hard, play hard, celebrate wins, President’s Club trips, gratification that you are excelling. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody really comprehends the pressure until you have a number on yourself or your team. Everybody thinks it so easy,  but there is a reason good sales leaders and salespeople are well-compensated.

If you believe you have the skills and can handle some pressure, the income will def be better than the purchasing side.
:goodposting: This. I made the switch a year ago. I love it but it's not for everyone.

The closest I came to doing sales was during the Great Recession.  I was working for an O&G company that developed software for smaller oil drilling companies.  My job was to work with these companies in setting up the software to work for their organization.  When times got really bad, they pulled in the three of us who did the application support and told us they needed us to try and up sell different component of the software.  I just remember my boss telling me to push things that I knew the companies didn't need.  And I couldn't bring myself to do that.  It would go like this:

Sheik: So, do you guys want to purchase this upgrade that will allow you to blah blah blah?

Client:  Do you think we need that?

Sheik:  No.  I would just use a spreadsheet and you should be able to do it fine without wasting money.  I can show you how to do it.

About 3 months after they tried to turn us into sales people, they let 2 of us go.  I was one of them. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread