What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ?K in 2013 (1 Viewer)

As long as Johnson is really your only home-run hitter, you should be fine as he'll win you weeks for sure. You'll always have guys that put up stinkers unless you have AP or Foster it seems. However, if you have a team that has Johnson, Charles, Julio, Torrey Smith, a lot of SuperBoom/SuperBust guys, than you could get into trouble. However, if he's your only one, you'll be fine with him on your roster. Not every player is going to put up 80-100yards with a TD every week like many have come to expect out of their RB/WR week-in and week-out.

With his move to Detroit I think I'd rather have Reggie Bush for 2013. That was a great signing for the Lions.

I like this post alot, except the part where we disregard Charles because he missed a year to an ACL tear, let's just forget he came back and was RB8 the next year and his team has both improved its line and passing game.

I see CJ going as the 10th or 11th rb off the board, a spot that I think he will greatly outperform. I really like CJ year, I'd say 1900 total yards is perfectly reasonable.
If you're taking CJ at RB10 and expecting him to "greatly outperform" that spot, IMO there's a high probability you're going to be disappointed at year's end.

He's not necessarily a bad pick at that spot, but his value there as compared to that from taking him in the RB13-15 range is significantly reduced - mainly because I see the latter range as his floor, with a decent (though far from certain) chance of RB5-10 level performance.

After Doug Martin there isn't a RB on the board I want more than Chris Johnson, is that clear enough? He has everything going for him now including a major upgrade to the interior of the OL with the signing of Levitre and also the drafting of Warmack. As Johnson tweeted out "Thank God" so should FF owners because Chris Johnson will be back in 2013 in 3-D baby and you are gonna groan, moan, and cry like a ##### because you didn't have the foresight to see what would happen, you ignored the history of this guy when he has a decent OL in front of him. You think they spent all that on the OL to pave the way for Shonn Greene? I think not! 2,000 total yds, 10-12 TD, could be a lot more if he can get involved more in the passing game. Expect at least 4-5 long TD runs. The Titans are not going to turn into a pass happy team despite their upgrades at WR. I expect Chris Johnson to take his place back amongst the elite. So haters go ahead and hate because you are all knowing and wise based on his last couple of years with a putrid interior OL and and a team that was not interested in getting him in space where he explodes. I expect a banner year for Johnson and owners will be kicking themselves they didn't get him. RB2? Johnson will be a top 5 RB this year, back the truck up!!!
In the food for thought category, there have been 16 RBs that have had 1,800 yards rushing in a season (Johnson being one of them). Here's some follow up research on those guys. ADP gets thrown out because he hasn't had a follow up season. Sanders, Dickerson, and Simpson did it more than once so I counted them only once.

For ALL seasons by those players AFTER their 1,800 yard rushing season, only 5 of those backs had another year with 1,500 rushing yards. Combined, they totaled 9 seasons with 1,500 yards rushing (out of 70 seasons played by those 16 backs). That comes out to 12.8%. Not having anything to compare that to, I can't really tell if that is good, bad, or indifferent. If it tells me anything, it's that proven elite backs have trouble getting back to 1,500 rushing yards again.

I'm not saying Johnson can't get that many, will get that many, or won't get that many rushing yards this year (or ever again). Maybe you are on to something and Johnson will have a resurgence this year. I'd have to think about that some more . . .

Tom Moore has an offseason to scheme.

The Titans haven't had "electric" offenses since the run N shoot. This offense could seem considerably different in 2013 especially if Britt stays out of trouble and is healthy.

Encouraged by the O-line additions this off-season, better guard play from Levitre and Warmack should strengthen the interior line play, and at least give him a chance to be a consistent fantasy factor again.

Encouraged by the O-line additions this off-season, better guard play from Levitre and Warmack should strengthen the interior line play, and at least give him a chance to be a consistent fantasy factor again.
The 4th round Center from Cal-Brian Schwenke plus Delanie Walker from SF who is regarded as one of the best blocking TEs in all of football. That interior OL plus TE has been completely redone.

I definitely understand the deck is stacked against Chris Johnson but he does have a couple of highly productive seasons on his resume.

After Doug Martin there isn't a RB on the board I want more than Chris Johnson, is that clear enough? He has everything going for him now including a major upgrade to the interior of the OL with the signing of Levitre and also the drafting of Warmack. As Johnson tweeted out "Thank God" so should FF owners because Chris Johnson will be back in 2013 in 3-D baby and you are gonna groan, moan, and cry like a ##### because you didn't have the foresight to see what would happen, you ignored the history of this guy when he has a decent OL in front of him. You think they spent all that on the OL to pave the way for Shonn Greene? I think not! 2,000 total yds, 10-12 TD, could be a lot more if he can get involved more in the passing game. Expect at least 4-5 long TD runs. The Titans are not going to turn into a pass happy team despite their upgrades at WR. I expect Chris Johnson to take his place back amongst the elite. So haters go ahead and hate because you are all knowing and wise based on his last couple of years with a putrid interior OL and and a team that was not interested in getting him in space where he explodes. I expect a banner year for Johnson and owners will be kicking themselves they didn't get him. RB2? Johnson will be a top 5 RB this year, back the truck up!!!
In the food for thought category, there have been 16 RBs that have had 1,800 yards rushing in a season (Johnson being one of them). Here's some follow up research on those guys. ADP gets thrown out because he hasn't had a follow up season. Sanders, Dickerson, and Simpson did it more than once so I counted them only once.

For ALL seasons by those players AFTER their 1,800 yard rushing season, only 5 of those backs had another year with 1,500 rushing yards. Combined, they totaled 9 seasons with 1,500 yards rushing (out of 70 seasons played by those 16 backs). That comes out to 12.8%. Not having anything to compare that to, I can't really tell if that is good, bad, or indifferent. If it tells me anything, it's that proven elite backs have trouble getting back to 1,500 rushing yards again.

I'm not saying Johnson can't get that many, will get that many, or won't get that many rushing yards this year (or ever again). Maybe you are on to something and Johnson will have a resurgence this year. I'd have to think about that some more . . .
It's worth noting that in the history of the NFL, there have been only 84 1,500 yard rushing seasons. Taking out Jim Brown as an outlayer, there has been 81 1,500 yard seasons since 1973 when OJ, Sweetness and Earl started doing it. That's 40 years, for roughly 2 per year. Six in the past 3 years, so it appears (very roughly) that this is a somewhat consistent trend. 2 rushers out of 32 teams, so roughly 6%of the "lead" rushers in the NFL get 1,500 yards. Excuse the dirty math, but the point is clear - EVERY running back has trouble getting to 1,500 yards. It looks like those who have reached 1,800 yards before are twice as likely to get over 1,500 again, compared to the rest of the league.

I do not think 1500 rushing yards is a good benchmark/goal for a successful season at RB. 1500 combined yards or more will likely have a player somewhere in the top 12 at the RB position however and Johnson looks to be in a good situation to achieve that. The lack of goal line TD opportunity makes that a bit harder for Johnson than it does for RB in that role however. He needs multiple big plays for TD to reach double digits.

I really like the offensive line moves and I see Johnson being targeted a lot on screens and other plays designed to get him open in space. I am not really a fan of Johnsons play style as he seems very boom/bust as a runner. I would be more comfortable with a player who is more consistent. But big plays make for big games and win games for you when Johnson does go off. I was liking him as a good buy even before free agency based on what he did sporadically last season. With the additions they have made to their offensive line and Hunter hopefully drawing some attention away from the run at times also I like the situation even more. I agree with BF CJ is a strong buy at any price below 1st-2nd round value.

I liked the work done by bitonti on the offensive lines in recent article here. He has the Titans line ranked 7th overall. With the upgrade at both guard positions I think the Titans are going to be a running team. Greene will likely get a lot of carries as well but I think the offense will be able to support both RB as I do not expect the offense to be turning Locker loose this season. Hunter provides another deep big play option to work with off of play action and will let them spread the defense out at times too. I think TE players are going to be mainly blockers.

I want to believe but I just can't. CJ was a straight up cancer for his teams the last two years in HTH formats. His upside is undoubtedly tremendous, but his week to week deviation is too much for me if that upside proves elusive again this year.

Rotoworld:

Chris Johnson said he's "not worried about [shonn Greene] taking any carries."
Johnson did admit he was initially upset when the Titans gave Greene a three-year, $10 million contract. "I didn't like the move, I didn't think it was a smart move," he said. "[but] that's because of being too quick to say things and not really knowing the whole objectives of things. Once the offseason started, being here, being in the playbook and seeing the type of things they're trying to do, I don't think it was really a bad choice." Johnson will likely lose the majority of short-yardage and goal-line work, but he's still a good bet for 300 total touches.

Related: Shonn Greene

Source: jimrome.com

I want to believe but I just can't. CJ was a straight up cancer for his teams the last two years in HTH formats. His upside is undoubtedly tremendous, but his week to week deviation is too much for me if that upside proves elusive again this year.
Yes, he is far too erratic. I think when we looked at this last year, I posted a stat of something like "in 48% of his games, in ppr, he scores 7 or less points". That's insane when you talk about feast or famine players. Seems like he either carries your entire team with 29 points or he gives you those 6.4 point clunkers. That can't happen literally half the time; not as your main RB.

Someone said above that if he was your RB2 or the only guy who is hit or miss like that, you could tolerate it. I agree with that. The problem is, its very iffy whether or not you are going to find yourself in a league where he will actually fall to that appropriate range. If he does then I think he becomes an exciting piece to your team but if not, I just see no upside in taking him inside the top ten.

In no particular order, if you are taking him above

Peterson

Foster

Charles

McCoy

Spiller

Martin

Richardson

Lynch

Rice

Maybe Reggie Bush/Morris

then i think its a poor bet to be thinking you take him and he overplays half the guys on that list.

Even compared to guys like SJAX and Gore, those guys were all within about 20 points of one another last year and CJ will likely have a few games where he blows it up, but from week to week, I like either of those guys over him as a consistent contributor.

The 4th round Center from Cal-Brian Schwenke plus Delanie Walker from SF who is regarded as one of the best blocking TEs in all of football. That interior OL plus TE has been completely redone.

I definitely understand the deck is stacked against Chris Johnson but he does have a couple of highly productive seasons on his resume.
The change in TE is really significant, IMO. Going from Cook, who basically never blocked, to Walker, whose best skill is his blocking, represents a major change in offensive approach, I think.

Combined with the upgrades on the O-line, the investment in RB2 (Greene), and the reports out of camp, it's really obvious that the Titans are trying to build their offensive identity around a strong run game, and they now actually have pieces that fit that approach.

The change in TE is really significant, IMO. Going from Cook, who basically never blocked, to Walker, whose best skill is his blocking, represents a major change in offensive approach, I think.

Combined with the upgrades on the O-line, the investment in RB2 (Greene), and the reports out of camp, it's really obvious that the Titans are trying to build their offensive identity around a strong run game, and they now actually have pieces that fit that approach.
If they wanted a massive blocker, then why didn't they just pay a lot less for an extremely good blocker and why are they talking up Walker like he's going to catch 60-70 balls this season (just my thoughts on reading the post...doesn't seem in line with the reason why Walker is there).

If they wanted a massive blocker, then why didn't they just pay a lot less for an extremely good blocker and why are they talking up Walker like he's going to catch 60-70 balls this season (just my thoughts on reading the post...doesn't seem in line with the reason why Walker is there).
Walker's contract is actually rather reasonable for an veteran TE - basically a 2 year, $9M deal with $4.3M options for 2015/2016. For comparison, Cook's deal was $19M for 3 years.

The 4th round Center from Cal-Brian Schwenke plus Delanie Walker from SF who is regarded as one of the best blocking TEs in all of football. That interior OL plus TE has been completely redone. I definitely understand the deck is stacked against Chris Johnson but he does have a couple of highly productive seasons on his resume.
The change in TE is really significant, IMO. Going from Cook, who basically never blocked, to Walker, whose best skill is his blocking, represents a major change in offensive approach, I think. Combined with the upgrades on the O-line, the investment in RB2 (Greene), and the reports out of camp, it's really obvious that the Titans are trying to build their offensive identity around a strong run game, and they now actually have pieces that fit that approach.
Walker isn't just a blocker, but it is his best skill. Which makes him a much better fit for a run-first team than Cook who was pretty much only a reciever. In fact, he's probably a better fit for a CJ-friendly style ground game than a pure blocker, because his (limited but not ignorable) pass-catching abilities make it harder for Ds to stack up on the line of scrimmage. They'll probably try to use him like how the Pats use their TEs. If you stay in a base formation, he'll find holes in the secondary; but if you go to a nickle, then his blocking will let them run all over you.

Rotoworld:

According to the Nashville Tennessean, Chris Johnson "looks to be in great shape" at Titans OTAs and "has been explosive."
Keep in mind we heard similar things all last offseason. When the games began, Johnson's effort was hit or miss and he blamed his offensive line for poor performances. Johnson will play behind the most talented O-Line of his career in 2013, but we still anticipate inconsistency. He's a boom-or-bust back.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

It's that time of year. Every player in the league is in the best shape of his career, multiple players will make a run at 2,000 yards, and numerous people we will never hear from again will all have breakout years and play big roles. Gotta love the pre-preseason.

It's that time of year. Every player in the league is in the best shape of his career, multiple players will make a run at 2,000 yards, and numerous people we will never hear from again will all have breakout years and play big roles. Gotta love the pre-preseason.
Well, some of those players have done it before (although no one has repeated yet). Although CJ is not the favorite to run 2,000 yards this year, he might have an outside chance. According to the hype Jamaal Charles is certain to and perhaps AP can too

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he has a huge year. However, he needs to run 350 times to get anywhere close to his 2000 goal. With Locker at QB, you'd think they would run that much. But unless Johnson can show he can bring some consistency, they won't run enough for him.

Chris Johnson of Tennessee Titans: I haven't lost a step

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Tennessee Titans coach Mike Munchak acknowledged a year and a half ago that Chris Johnson had lost a step from his record-setting 4.24-second 40-yard dash at the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine.

It's a sentiment the cheetah-racing Johnson has been railing against ever since. Now that he's entering his age-28 season, Johnson insists his game is not on the decline.

"It's baffling to me when somebody can sit here and say I lost a step," Johnson told Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com. "They don't know what they are talking about."

While Johnson has picked up a tendency to dance east-to-west at the line of scrimmage and no longer showcases the insane lateral agility from his first two seasons, we haven't noticed a drop-off in his long speed.

For those critics who believe he's no longer the "CJ2K" of old, Johnson is carrying a massive chip on his shoulder.

"If you really know football, and watch the game, you know I don't have to make any excuses. I am not that type of guy anyway. I've never been the guy who complains about the line or anything like that," Johnson said, apparently with a straight face. "You just roll with it. But look at the other backs in this league -- Adrian (Peterson), (Arian) Foster, (Jamaal) Charles. Look at their tapes, they have room to run."

That statement is a true head-scratcher. Justified or not, Johnson has thrown his offensive line under the bus on multiple occasions.

Now that the Titans have made major upgrades on the interior of the offensive line with an eye toward a run-heavy attack, Johnson once again is stoking the fires of a friendly rivalry with Adrian Peterson.

"I did it first," Johnson said of 2,000 yards. "Not one time did I sit back and say he did something that I can't do. ... He's a great back. But I can't sit here and say out of my own mouth that Adrian Peterson is better than me. All the things he's done, I've done the same things. I did them first."

To win over his growing coterie of critics, Johnson will need to overtake Peterson for the second time in his career to capture the league's rushing crown.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

There were warning signs late last season. If you remove a 94-yard run against the Jets, Johnson didn't average better than 2.7 yards per carry in any of his last four games in 2012. That's concerning. But it's a new season, with a significantly upgraded offensive line. Link.
There's no doubt he can be spectacular but he carries a lot of risk. I think Greene is a bigger problem for him fantasy-wise since I think he could get the lowest carries of his career.

There were warning signs late last season. If you remove a 94-yard run against the Jets, Johnson didn't average better than 2.7 yards per carry in any of his last four games in 2012. That's concerning. But it's a new season, with a significantly upgraded offensive line. Link.
There's no doubt he can be spectacular but he carries a lot of risk. I think Greene is a bigger problem for him fantasy-wise since I think he could get the lowest carries of his career.
I don't know...they subtantially beefed up the line and thought they passed too much last year. I think they want to run the ball but I really don't consider a plodder who can't catch a risk to CJ's touches. He's Lendale 2.0.

i predict 1100 yards and just sort of a subpar year i just do not like him anymore brohans and that is the cold stone truth take that to the bank

Chris Johnson of Tennessee Titans: I haven't lost a step

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Tennessee Titans coach Mike Munchak acknowledged a year and a half ago that Chris Johnson had lost a step from his record-setting 4.24-second 40-yard dash at the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine.

It's a sentiment the cheetah-racing Johnson has been railing against ever since. Now that he's entering his age-28 season, Johnson insists his game is not on the decline.

"It's baffling to me when somebody can sit here and say I lost a step," Johnson told Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com. "They don't know what they are talking about."

While Johnson has picked up a tendency to dance east-to-west at the line of scrimmage and no longer showcases the insane lateral agility from his first two seasons, we haven't noticed a drop-off in his long speed.

For those critics who believe he's no longer the "CJ2K" of old, Johnson is carrying a massive chip on his shoulder.

"If you really know football, and watch the game, you know I don't have to make any excuses. I am not that type of guy anyway. I've never been the guy who complains about the line or anything like that," Johnson said, apparently with a straight face. "You just roll with it. But look at the other backs in this league -- Adrian (Peterson), (Arian) Foster, (Jamaal) Charles. Look at their tapes, they have room to run."

That statement is a true head-scratcher. Justified or not, Johnson has thrown his offensive line under the bus on multiple occasions.

Now that the Titans have made major upgrades on the interior of the offensive line with an eye toward a run-heavy attack, Johnson once again is stoking the fires of a friendly rivalry with Adrian Peterson.

"I did it first," Johnson said of 2,000 yards. "Not one time did I sit back and say he did something that I can't do. ... He's a great back. But I can't sit here and say out of my own mouth that Adrian Peterson is better than me. All the things he's done, I've done the same things. I did them first."

To win over his growing coterie of critics, Johnson will need to overtake Peterson for the second time in his career to capture the league's rushing crown.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.
I was pretty high on him until reading this. He's a moron and all he does is complain. If he gets tackled behind the line of scrimmage on the first play of the first game, he'll give up for the season and point fingers. He's not what he was 3 years ago and instead of admitting that to himself and working on improving himself he just denies it and points fingers and then denies ever pointing fingers in the same sentence.

Even if he has lost half a step, he is still pretty damn fast, and if their line is improved, all he needs is a little room sometimes to break a long run. The presence of Greene is a concern, but he should still put up really good numbers this year. Hell, he still went for over 1,200 rushing yards last year despite that pathetic start.

Rotoworld:

Chris Johnson said he's "OK" with losing short-yardage carries to Shonn Greene.
The Titans say they want Johnson at around 300 touches this year, but prefer he gets a higher percentage of them via the passing game. Greene will come on in obvious run situations and goal-line spots. Meanwhile, CJ?K still appears to be blaming his offensive line for wildly inconsistent play over the last two seasons. "Hopefully, we can eliminate getting hit in the backfield and those things, just getting a fair chance," he said. The Titans did upgrade their line this offseason, adding two new guards in Andy Levitre and Chance Warmack.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

After Doug Martin there isn't a RB on the board I want more than Chris Johnson, is that clear enough? He has everything going for him now including a major upgrade to the interior of the OL with the signing of Levitre and also the drafting of Warmack. As Johnson tweeted out "Thank God" so should FF owners because Chris Johnson will be back in 2013 in 3-D baby and you are gonna groan, moan, and cry like a ##### because you didn't have the foresight to see what would happen, you ignored the history of this guy when he has a decent OL in front of him. You think they spent all that on the OL to pave the way for Shonn Greene? I think not!

2,000 total yds, 10-12 TD, could be a lot more if he can get involved more in the passing game. Expect at least 4-5 long TD runs. The Titans are not going to turn into a pass happy team despite their upgrades at WR. I expect Chris Johnson to take his place back amongst the elite.

So haters go ahead and hate because you are all knowing and wise based on his last couple of years with a putrid interior OL and and a team that was not interested in getting him in space where he explodes. I expect a banner year for Johnson and owners will be kicking themselves they didn't get him.

RB2? Johnson will be a top 5 RB this year, back the truck up!!!
MAJOR bumpage. What you hear is cj's stock soaring.

that TD was all anyone needed to see as far as if he's still got his wheels and all.

I'm upset with the play by play and production stats by Locker. There must be other threats in this offense; then good luck stopping CJ.

that TD was all anyone needed to see as far as if he's still got his wheels and all.

I'm upset with the play by play and production stats by Locker. There must be other threats in this offense; then good luck stopping CJ.
No reason to think he ever lost his wheels, he scored 3 TDs last year of 80+ yards. The only questions are will there be room to run and how many GL carries will he get. We already knew he would break off a few huge runs and rack up 1400 total yards.

Bit of an over pursuit on that run by the guy in the backfield, but I'll take it.

Concerned that Warmack apparently did not have a good game

Bit of an over pursuit on that run by the guy in the backfield, but I'll take it.

Concerned that Warmack apparently did not have a good game
Says who? In the context of this thread, a thread about CJ's running this year, Warmack had a great game. Gave up a sack on the first drive, but looked dominating as a run blocker.

Is it just me or did Chris Johnson look much slower on that run than earlier in his career. Don't get me wrong, he's still very fast. But he used to be almost "other-worldly" when he ran. He faked out number 29, then 29 almost caught him. It seems like earlier in his career he would have beat him by five yards to the endzone.

Is it just me or did Chris Johnson look much slower on that run than earlier in his career. Don't get me wrong, he's still very fast. But he used to be almost "other-worldly" when he ran. He faked out number 29, then 29 almost caught him. It seems like earlier in his career he would have beat him by five yards to the endzone.
There's no question in my mind that he's slower.

LOL, thats so YOU to say that!! LOL

Seemed to me he slowed down because he knew he was gone.

hard to tell there....he had the angle, it's preseason and he still got in easily. I'll happily take 5 - 6 of those "slow" td runs. Even if he doesn't have the blazing top end speed that he once did, he still looked explosive on the cutbacks and accelerated quickly.

LOL, thats so YOU to say that!! LOL
He's still fast but that didn't look like 4.24 speed to me. That safety he burned and almost caught him was Ryan Mouton, who ran a 4.51 at the combine.

Users who are viewing this thread