What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (4 Viewers)

i'm sure he's better right now.

will he still be in a year? two years?

this defense is going to get old, fast if they keep this up over the next couple of years.

again, i'm just asking the question, is this how you build a team for long term success?

Youth is generally over rated and VASTLY over rated by many in the fantasy football community.
Like I said earlier in relation to Connor Shaw v. Josh McCown, I get that no team (or its fans) want to go into the season thinking they have no shot for the playoffs - but age will be a huge factor if Williams regresses (and let's face it, he will - everyone does) while Skrine can potentially improve with experience over the course of their contracts. Even if you think Cleveland is only one season away from being a true legit playoff contender, by 2016 Williams will be 33 and in the last phases of being an effective cornerback.

this defense is going to get old, fast if they keep this up over the next couple of years.

again, i'm just asking the question, is this how you build a team for long term success?
Good questions.

He is better now.

Will he be in two years? Two things.

First, will Buster ever elevate his game to Tramon's level? How long till/if he ever does?

Second, the club drafted a young CB with a top-ten pick last year and the kid emotionally wasn't prepared. Justin Gilbert has everything you'd want physically in the role that Pettine needs in a press-man cover corner to run his D. Physically he's got it and they are hoping and it is reasonable to expect him to put it together and emotionally grow into his body and play at the level he's capable of but right now Pettine needs that press-man corner. He's got it right now with Tramon.

Defense getting old? Lol, well this isn't the Steelers who had to sign Kiesel and 92 off the waiver wire just to make it through last season along with Troy-P.

We have young guys at most spots developing for the first time behind the aging free agent starters.

Of the four guys we have over 30 years old.

CB Tramon Williams - Justin Gilbert

LB Karlos Dansby - Craig Robertson and Christian Kirksey

DT/DE Randy Starks - John Hughes (just extended him so he looks like heir apparent at NT) and Billy Wynn

The only guy we really haven't invested a high pick on and haven't got someone developing is SS Donte Whitner.

Reports of Desir playing some safety snaps that retired safety Jim Leonard played last year but he's not strong safety material IMHO so I would expect us to draft someone with that skill set at some point but right now Whit is doing fine.

I think we're good right now and longer term.

Williams, a practice squad player brought in as an undrafted F.A. made some significant interceptions, game saving and touchdown producing, for the Packers back during their Superbowl run. With the career ending injury to Al Harris, and the ageing of Charles Woodson his youth and speed were a perfect fit for the Packers at a perfect time. He parlayed that into a contract he never quite lived up to, but there is little question he was a solid, if unspectacular player.

His tackling as a Packer was less than it might have been for a man of his pay grade, and he has shown a propensity to get beat deep, not through a lack of speed, but rather through a propensity to gamble for the pick.

He is now widely thought to have lost a step.

There is no question that the Packers would have welcomed him back, but only at a specific salary. The Browns, obviously, had a different valuation on him than did the Packers.

He was a good citizen in his time with Green Bay, and he was gracious in his departure. He will be remembered for a time in Green Bay. Most folks I have talked to wish him well in his time in Cleveland.

Me personally, I think the Browns have over-valued him some, but he will not be a F.A. bust, he does have utility. Perhaps o a time that does not have to have him play nearly every snap he will be more productive. It may be that the packers wore him down and thereby reduced his effectiveness. Perhaps platooning with Gilbert will revitalize him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Williams, a practice squad player brought in as an undrafted F.A. made some significant interceptions, game saving and touchdown producing, for the Packers back during their Superbowl run. With the career ending injury to Al Harris, and the ageing of Charles Woodson his youth and speed were a perfect fit for the Packers at a perfect time. He parlayed that into a contract he never quite lived up to, but there is little question he was a solid, if unspectacular player.

His tackling as a Packer was less than it might have been for a man of his pay grade, and he has shown a propensity to get beat deep, not through a lack of speed, but rather through a propensity to gamble for the pick.

There is no question that the Packers would have welcomed him back, but only at a specific salary. The Browns, obviously, had a different valuation on him than did the Packers.

He was a good citizen in his time with Green Bay, and he was gracious in his departure. He will be remembered for a time in Green Bay. Most folks I have talked to wish him well in his time in Cleveland.

Me personally, I think the Browns have over-valued him some, but he will not be a F.A. bust, he does have utility. Perhaps o a time that does not have to have him play nearly every snap he will be more productive. It may be that the packers wore him down and thereby reduced his effectiveness. Perhaps platooning with Gilbert will revitalize him.
:goodposting: Good stuff DW.

This is basically what I expect from Tramon. Solid player, solid citizen, and he will fill a role. The weakness I heard was not over aggressively going for the pick but lapse in concentration and Joe Haden has that same weakness on occasion. All DBs have their weakness' and we should not expect an All-Pro performance but should anticipate good solid veteran production.

Pettine deployed CB Buster Skrine last year and pretty much all of his DBs but Joe Haden and Donte Whitner were on the field more than most.

I'm sure they want Justin Gilbert to eventually take over the starting job and they will use him so your point is spot-on where they will almost assuredly platoon him with Tramon.

:goodposting: Good stuff DW.

This is basically what I expect from Tramon. Solid player, solid citizen, and he will fill a role. The weakness I heard was not over aggressively going for the pick but lapse in concentration and Joe Haden has that same weakness on occasion. All DBs have their weakness' and we should not expect an All-Pro performance but should anticipate good solid veteran production.

Pettine deployed CB Buster Skrine last year and pretty much all of his DBs but Joe Haden and Donte Whitner were on the field more than most.

I'm sure they want Justin Gilbert to eventually take over the starting job and they will use him so your point is spot-on where they will almost assuredly platoon him with Tramon.
Not true. Skrine played 107 more defensive snaps than Haden did

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

This team isn't playing for 2015, they are playing for future years. When the team is ready to compete Buster fits better than Tramon.

I love how despite this franchise's current state this thread is by far the most active of the team threads. Aside from the NYG, my next favorite team is CLE. I hope things get turned around.

I love how despite this franchise's current state this thread is by far the most active of the team threads. Aside from the NYG, my next favorite team is CLE. I hope things get turned around.
Earth might not survive a Browns Super Bowl victory.

Every building team needs veterans. Ever hear of the blind leading the blind?

Bobcat10 said:
RC94 said:
Earth might not survive a Browns Super Bowl victory.
I am a Packer fan, but I would love to see the Browns return to prominence. Good people there in Cleveland.

In the 9 games in which Crowell ran the ball 10 times or more, he averaged 4.6ypc. This coupled with 6 TDs in those same games.

I have no idea if we inquired but Pettine was the DC when the Jets drafted CB Dee Milliner and we know he loves his cornerbacks.

Its not pure speculation since the Jets have gotten some inquiries and they are loaded and we have the cap and 10 picks in this draft and their is the Pettine connection so it makes sense.

I don't know why this guy has struggled but he has so they could not expect to get much in return however its possible that Pettine 'might' feel that he still has some upside. We know he loves his DBs so even if Milliner is no longer considered starter material I'm confident Pettine can find a role for him if he has any talent and takes to coaching.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-hobbled-dee-milliner-forgotten-corner-jets-article-1.2153245

Jets have received trade inquiries on cornerback Dee Milliner: sourcesNEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Wednesday, March 18, 2015, 12:00 AM
Updated: Wednesday, March 18, 2015, 8:31 AM
Now that Mike Maccagnan has completed his free agent spending spree, the future of the forgotten man in the Jets’ revamped secondary is murkier than ever.

The new general manager’s decision to dole out nearly $60 million of fully guaranteed money for cornerbacks Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine last week was an indictment of the failed John Idzik regime that placed its hopes on a talented, but fragile college star the past two years.

So, what will happen to Dee Milliner now?

The Daily News has learned that teams have made trade inquiries about the Jets’ 2013 first-round pick in the wake of the cornerback upgrades.

On the surface, Milliner, who is rehabbing a season-ending torn Achilles tendon he suffered five months ago, appears expendable. His extensive injury history coupled with the new additions in the secondary prompted some teams to think that they could acquire him on the cheap.

However, the Jets have told interested teams that Milliner isn’t available at a drastically discounted price . . . yet, according to sources.

Although the Jets aren’t actively shopping Milliner, it’s fair to wonder whether Maccagnan would part ways with a player betrayed by his body at such a young age if the price is right. For now, the Jets are content waiting for the third-year player to get healthy to properly evaluate him as he competes for the No. 4 cornerback spot. A trade down the road, however, has not been ruled out, according to sources.

Milliner, the ninth pick and consensus top cornerback of the 2013 draft, has missed 16 games in his first two seasons due to four different injuries after undergoing five surgeries at Alabama.

Three front-office executives of cornerback-needy teams told The News that Milliner’s unclear health status following his latest setback coupled with a $971,000 preseason roster bonus will make it virtually impossible for Maccagnan to trade him unless he’s willing to take a mid- to late- round pick in return.

It would be risky for the new Jets decision makers to trade away a Top 10 pick for a mid- to late-rounder before fully knowing what they have in him. Cutting the cord on a skilled 23-year-old corner after a rough two-year start to his career could backfire.

Milliner, who has a $585,000 base salary in the third year of his four-year rookie contract, will count $3.45 million against the 2015 salary cap. The Jets will have $3.8 million in dead money if he’s traded, according to overthecap.com.

This team isn't playing for 2015, they are playing for future years. When the team is ready to compete Buster fits better than Tramon.
Skrine is poo. They didn't want to pay him for 4-5 years.
He has that PI problem, but he isn't poo anymore. He's developed into a pretty good corner, relatively speaking anyway, demand > supply in the nfl right now. He's the type the front office has led us to believe they intend to re-sign, but then they didn't. Signing him, like Williams, won't impact our cap situation until at least when the guaranteed money expire.

I'm putting Bowe's TDs at +/- 6.5 w the Browns. I got the over.

Any takers? A funny sig bet between two parties?
Holy #### yes I will take the under. If you made it 3.5 I woulda taken the under.

You know what I want if I win. WHat will my sig need to be if Hell freezes over and I lose?

Holy #### yes I will take the under. If you made it 3.5 I woulda taken the under.

You know what I want if I win. WHat will my sig need to be if Hell freezes over and I lose?
“Though Soulfly3 can be deceiving, like faces are to hearts - he serves for sweet relieving, when fantasy and reality lie too far apart.”

If he scores zero you will have a special kind of jive talk coming your way.

I can be lethal with my burns.

If he scores 10 i expect the same my way. I will still try and argue how much he sucks though. Should be fun.

If he scores 10 i expect the same my way. I will still try and argue how much he sucks though. Should be fun.
I think expectations are so low for guys like Bowe and Crabtree, that they both can't help but overachieve,

Ive always liked both, and think both are better than their stats indicate.

Odds are, at +/- 6.5, Ill lose the bet... I know I couldve made it much lower... but what's the fun in that?

I think expectations are so low for guys like Bowe and Crabtree, that they both can't help but overachieve,

Ive always liked both, and think both are better than their stats indicate.

Odds are, at +/- 6.5, Ill lose the bet... I know I couldve made it much lower... but what's the fun in that?
I see Bowe at something like 14 games, 600 yards, and 2 TDs.

Crabtree blows.

I expect nothing out of them cause they suck

Phil Savage @SeniorBowlPhil · Mar 18

Two months ago, people had Mariota going #2 and Petty in 3rd/4th rd. Slowly squeezing closer together now...MM top 12, BP end 1, early 2.

============

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2395233-2015-nfl-mock-draft-latest-1st-round-projections-following-free-agency-frenzy
1 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State

2 Tennessee Titans Leonard Williams, DL, USC

3 Jacksonville Jaguars Dante Fowler Jr., DE/OLB, Florida 4 Oakland Raiders Kevin White, WR, West Virginia 5 Washington Redskins Vic Beasley, DE/OLB, Clemson 6 New York Jets Randy Gregory, DE/OLB, Nebraska 7 Chicago Bears Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama 8 Atlanta Falcons Shane Ray, DE, Missouri 9 New York Giants Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa 10 St. Louis Rams La'el Collins, OT, LSU 11 Minnesota Vikings DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville 12 Cleveland Browns Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon

any possibility the Browns trade for Rivers?
Did I miss something today?
there was a story about San Diego not extending his contract and possibly trading him.
maybe i'm daft, but this could be a real thing.no one is talking about it, though.
Who is nobody? There seem to be plenty of stories when you Google it. Most say a trade is unlikely. The others rumor Tennessee, besides one that said the Browns.

Random said:

:thumbup:

Thems some high hopes.

The last Cle WR to go over 6.5 TDs not named Gordon was Quincy Morgan in 02.
Braylon Edwards in 2007 with the Browns

- 80 REC

- 1,289 receiving yards

- 16 receiving TDs

Instead of making Soulfly have an embarrassing sig why not have him change his icon to something more suitable to a Browns fan? Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread