What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (9 Viewers)

steve smiff sr was GUSHING about perrion winfrey on NFL network
Perrion Winfrey was THIS GUYS target for months.  He wanted us to take him in the 2nd round.  

He was devastated during the draft when AB didn't take him, but he went crazy when AB took him in the fourth round.  He did an entire stream just on the Perrion Winfrey pick.   >>>  THE PERRION WINFREY STREAM

This is the video he made after we took him.  Lol, pretty funny.

I've been hearing Perrion Winfrey for weeks and weeks but Steve Smith isn't the band leader on that pick.  Got to give props to Quincy Carrier.  Check it out if you want to get jacked about the Perrion Winfrey pick.  

I'm actually thinking he could start at the DT position as a rookie.  I'm really psyched about the pick.

-----------------

This came out BEFORE he was drafted.

NFL Draft Sleepers: Isaiah Spiller and Perrion Winfrey among prospects to watch

Perrion Winfrey, DT

Perrion Winfrey‘s expected draft position doesn’t make sense. His EDP (expected draft position) of 81.5 puts him in the third round. Meanwhile, PFN ranks him as the 35th-best prospect. We all witnessed what he did in Mobile during the Reese’s Senior Bowl, right? He was arguably the best player on the field during practices and then won the game’s MVP award.

Then, the 290-pounder ran a 4.89 and came in with arms the length of Inspector Gadget. Despite being under the 300-pound mark, Winfrey is explosive and powerful — his explosiveness and length shock interior blockers off the snap. If the mock draft data is accurate, someone is drafting arguably the biggest sleeper in the NFL Draft class.

Last edited by a moderator:
love the David Bell pick.

great hands.  this kid's going to be a chain mover.
I really like him too.

More on Winfrey.

PFF Draft@PFF_College

The Cleveland Browns pick Oklahoma DL Perrion Winfrey at No. 108 overall. FIFTY-SIX pressures since 2020 (1st among Big 12 DLs)

Austin Gayle@PFF_AustinGayle

Favorite Day 3 picks (1/2):

• No. 104 DI Perrion Winfrey, Browns
  • No. 140 OL Zach Tom, Packers
  • No. 138 WR Calvin Austin, Steelers
  • No. 144 QB Sam Howell, Commanders
  • No. 145 OL Darian Kinnard, Chiefs
  • No. 175 DI Matthew Butler, Raiders
  • No. 179 ED Kingsley Enagbare, Packers
2022 NFL Draft grades for all 32 teams

Day 3: Winfrey started his college career at Iowa Western Community College for two years before transferring to Oklahoma. He made an impact as a penetrator with an elite first step to get upfield. However, he was often miscast in Oklahoma’s defense, playing 236 snaps at nose tackle despite being on the slimmer side. The former Sooner joins a team that has already selected an edge rusher and a cornerback in attempts to strengthen their defense.

-------------

Interesting FA TE to file away.  FWIW Antonio Gates moved from Basketball to NFL TE.  No college football at all makes me think he's got raw skills that will definitely need at least a year to develop so if it works out it will be a long-term project.

Cleveland Browns sign a tight end who has never played college football

Marcus Santos-Silva

I really like him too.

More on Winfrey.

Austin Gayle@PFF_AustinGayle

Favorite Day 3 picks (1/2):

• No. 104 DI Perrion Winfrey, Browns
lol, i pulled up his highlight video.

the second clip is him tackling the QB and an OL and causing a fumble.  that's freaking awesome.

Winfrey has red flags.  

Some do not like him, others do.

We got him with the 108th pick so he is considered a value on every board I've checked.  The 'lowest' ranking I've found is 88, twenty spots higher than where we got him.

---------------------------------------------------

Browns: This is a franchise that’s unafraid to gamble on character risks, as we know. That trend continued with the selection of Oklahoma defensive tackle Perrion Winfrey 108th overall. Talent-wise, he is quite a value. Winfrey finished with 17 tackles for loss with the Sooners. As the scouts told Bob McGinn, though, there are red flags. “He has talent but he’s an absolute disaster off the field,” one said. “I don’t know if I trust him to really draft him.” I get the need to gamble on such prospects. You don’t win a Super Bowl with an ensemble of choir boys. Organizationally, it’s pretty clear that Cleveland is prepared to take these risks. Play with fire and you may win a Super Bowl or, like Jerry Jones has the last 26 years, you may only get burnt.

88. Perrion Winfrey, DL, Oklahoma (7.2)

78 DI Perrion Winfrey, Oklahoma Sooners DI6

=======================================

NFL Draft prospects 2022: Final big board of top 200 players overall, position rankings

• 53. Perrion Winfrey, DT, Oklahoma (6-4, 292 pounds)
Winfrey offers good length and powerful moves. He needs to refine his technique and improve his effective speed to keep up the playmaking in the NFL.

THE RINGER'S 2022 NFL DRAFT GUIDE

• 50 PERRION WINFREY
ATHLETIC, LONG DEFENSIVE LINEMAN who can line up at multiple spots on the line and wins with an explosive get-off.

Infinite Upside

Relentless Motor

SCOUTING REPORT BY DANNY KELLY 

------------------------------------------------------------

Go to the link for the full detailed scouting report above.

---------------------------------------------------------------

2022 NFL DRAFT BIG BOARD: RANKING TOP 100 PROSPECTS

• 44. Perrion Winfrey, DT, Oklahoma, 6-4, 290, 4.89
A slanting, scheming defense at Oklahoma put Winfrey (and others) in advantageous positions, but he showed the same disruptive ability at the Senior Bowl, even dominating at times. 

Bracie Smathers said:
Winfrey has red flags.  

Some do not like him, others do.

We got him with the 108th pick so he is considered a value on every board I've checked.  The 'lowest' ranking I've found is 88, twenty spots higher than where we got him.

---------------------------------------------------

Browns: This is a franchise that’s unafraid to gamble on character risks, as we know. That trend continued with the selection of Oklahoma defensive tackle Perrion Winfrey 108th overall. Talent-wise, he is quite a value. Winfrey finished with 17 tackles for loss with the Sooners. As the scouts told Bob McGinn, though, there are red flags. “He has talent but he’s an absolute disaster off the field,” one said. “I don’t know if I trust him to really draft him.” I get the need to gamble on such prospects. You don’t win a Super Bowl with an ensemble of choir boys. Organizationally, it’s pretty clear that Cleveland is prepared to take these risks. Play with fire and you may win a Super Bowl or, like Jerry Jones has the last 26 years, you may only get burnt.
i'm not finding much on this with a google search.  do you have any additional information?

the only thing i could find was a tweet where he suggested outgoing coach Lincoln Riley was the reason Oklahoma underperformed this year.

and he missed an offseason team activity?

i'm not defending the guy, i'm just curious what he's accused of doing to draw the comment of him being "an absolute disaster off the field."

Wasn't expecting this.

----------------------------------

NFL Odds

NFL - AFC Division North - Winner (reg. season)

Pittsburgh Steelers+900

Cincinnati Bengals+210

Baltimore Ravens+210

Cleveland Browns+180

Browns should have drafted this guy in round 3

NAKOBE DEAN

The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane reports Eagles rookie LB Nakobe Dean (chest) is a full participant in the team's rookie minicamp.

Dean was a projected first rounder who fell to the third round of the 2022 NFL Draft after concerns arose over his chest injury. Dean missed all pre-draft workouts earlier this offseason, but was cleared to resume football activities earlier last week. The former first-team AP All-American should have a chance to earn significant playing time as a rookie.

Wasn't expecting this.

NFL Odds

Pittsburgh Steelers+900

Cincinnati Bengals+210

Baltimore Ravens+210

Cleveland Browns+180

why not? we're the best team top to bottom, and now have a franchise, elite qb. makes sense to me, and also seems vegas not too stressed about the suspension at this point, either.

Wasn't expecting this.

NFL Odds

Pittsburgh Steelers+900

Cincinnati Bengals+210

Baltimore Ravens+210

Cleveland Browns+180
Odds look fine to me. Steelers as pretty much no chance, and the other 3 teams all about the same. Browns *slightly* better because of the QB acquisition, but still not favored against the field.

Check out the projected win total.

Mike Clay's 2022 NFL Projection Guide

2022 Cleveland Browns Projections

PROJECTED WINS: 8.9 (NFL RANK: 18)

If that puzzles you then check out the number of projected games he expects Deshuan Watson to play.

QB Deshaun Watson 11games

So he is expecting Watson to miss 6 games, I'm guessing EITHER a 6 game suspension or a 4 game suspension added to missing two games with regular bumps and bruises. 

I think that missing 6 games is reasonable and that impacts projected wins.

Everyone should expect 'some' rust with Watson due to not having played for  two seasons.   We drafted like a team who was adding developmental players not a team going all-in for a SB run this year.

The hope is  we get whatever suspension that is handed down out of the way and Watson is able to dial everything back later in the season while a 'few' guys develop and we can get a playoff spot.  

I'd like our chances if everything falls into place but that is a lot of moving pieces IMHO so I think the odds favoring us to win the division are high.  Baltimore will get Jackson back, their CBs and RBs and they had a killer draft.  Nati went to the SB and were able to fix their O-Line before the draft.  Pittsburgh won the AFCN and is always tough.

I'm not looking past anyone in the division so I think Clay's win projection is reasonable.

until watson is suspended, he's playing 17+ for me. 

at this point, and of course it can absolutely be wrong, his suspension (if any) will come in the 2023 season. 

until watson is suspended, he's playing 17+ for me. ..his suspension (if any) will come in the 2023 season. 
No trial till April 2023.

Ed Gallek@edgallekfox8

and MORE on Deshaun Watson hearing on lawsuits accusing him of sexual misconduct: now looking like no trial until at least April

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved the tape I saw when Bell was drafted.  Sounds like he's doing well.

----------------------------------------

Ben Axelrod@BenAxelrod

One takeaway from this week’s Building the #Browns: Kevin Stefanski LOVES David Bell. Made it sound like he was the one who lobbied for the pick.

love the David Bell pick.

great hands.  this kid's going to be a chain mover.
Me too, but while it may be Mayfield contract related I'm a little side eyed about not adding anything else of consequence to the WR room. I expect more bodies to be added on the DL and think that should take priority to WR, but DPJ/Bell/Schwartz strikes me as a developmental goal for 2023; not the plan to compliment Cooper in 2022. And it would not surprise me to eventually see Weston beat out Schwartz.

Me too, but while it may be Mayfield contract related I'm a little side eyed about not adding anything else of consequence to the WR room. I expect more bodies to be added on the DL and think that should take priority to WR, but DPJ/Bell/Schwartz strikes me as a developmental goal for 2023; not the plan to compliment Cooper in 2022. And it would not surprise me to eventually see Weston beat out Schwartz.
top tier QBs are supposed to make what you have better.  isn’t that why they paid Watson the most NFL money ever?

amnesiac said:
top tier QBs are supposed to make what you have better.  isn’t that why they paid Watson the most NFL money ever?
Yes, which is why I think it's a good goal for 2023. Week 1 2022 though...

Had a dream where Baker was traded this Thursday, 5/12.  No details.  Posting here for a laugh.
the fact that he wasn’t traded during the draft likely means Mayfield won’t be moved for several more weeks as teams stare each other down and wait for circumstances to change, but then again, you never know.  

i hope your dream proves true. 

the fact that he wasn’t traded during the draft likely means Mayfield won’t be moved for several more weeks as teams stare each other down and wait for circumstances to change, but then again, you never know.  

i hope your dream proves true. 
Agreed, I'll be shocked if there's a move before at least a week after camp opens. I think it's (probably) fool hardy of teams with worse QB rooms, but not knowing the Browns actual asking price...maybe they are right to play chicken. They're losing install time though.

Week 1 could been the Baker bowl..........Cleveland at Carolina.  I would have preferred our 1st game would been home since we are 1-22 in our last 23 opening games since coming back.  If Watson plays going to be favored it not...............

Right now currently -4.5

Really need to open the year with a win.

I'm told #Browns QB Deshaun Watson is treating the offense to the Bahamas this weekend. The trip is for team-building and football chemistry as Watson has also secured a field there to continue offseason workouts. 

Well, that's pretty great

...Watson has also secured a field there to continue offseason workouts. 
That is interesting.

• I'm not a fan...
Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

Per PFF in 2021 Ndamukong Suh

Run Defense Snaps - 194

Run Defense Grade - 50.2

Jordan Elliott

Run Defense Snaps - 206

Run Defense Grade - 45

• ... but I guess we're taking a look at Suh.
Free Agent Ndamukong Suh Linked to Cleveland Browns The Browns could potentially add former pro bowler, Ndamukong Suh, to fill a major need.

NFL Odds

Pittsburgh Steelers+900

Cincinnati Bengals+210

Baltimore Ravens+210

Cleveland Browns+180
Huh, another predictive index that is interesting.

-----------------------------------------

Seth Walder@SethWalder

2022 Football Power Index ratings and rankings! The rating itself indicates approximately how much better or worse -- in points -- that team is predicted to be, relative to an average NFL team on a neutral field. It is a predictive rating.

ESPN odds for every NFL team.

Each game, W/L.

I don't know how they can figure odds without knowing the status of Watson.  Vegas took the Browns off the books until we know if or how long of a suspension Watson faces.

Heard that the suspension may be longer than the 4 to 6 games many have been reporting.

-------------------------------------------------

Cleveland Browns

Odds to win Super Bowl: +1800
Odds to win AFC: +1000
Odds to win division: +170
Win total: 9.5

Priority is Clowney.  He's a perfect fit, knows system/defense and 'played well/was productive'.  The defense does things when he's in that can't be done by others.  He's 'scary-good' setting the edge AND can deliver consistent pass rush.  
Before Clowney was re-signed our EDGE was ranked 15th in the league.

Edge Rusher Unit Ranks

15 Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett, Stephen Weatherly, Alex Wright, Chase Winovich, Isaac Rochell

------------------------------------

EDGE goes up with Clowney giving us two of the top-ten Pass Rush Win Rate EDGE defenders in the league.

Pass Rush Win Rate EDGE defenders

Garrett ranked 1st, Clowney ranked 4th.  See chart linked above.

Team Pass Rush Win Rate

1. Los Angeles Rams, 53%
2. Carolina Panthers, 51%
3. Cleveland Browns, 50%

Seth Walder@SethWalder

Updated edge chart! Double team rate when pass rushing at edge (x) by pass rush win rate at edge (y). T.J. Watt may be the sack leader but Myles Garrett is No. 1 in PRWR at edge.

>>>  PASS RUSH WIN RATE CHART

I 'suspect' AB will next address DT since it is not just bad, we have the worst defensive interior in the league.

Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

The Browns cannot be taken seriously as a contender with their defensive tackle room as it currently stands. It's the worst in the league. By far.

Interior Defensive Line Unit Ranks

32 Cleveland Browns - Jordan Elliott, Sheldon Day, Taven Bryan, Tommy Togiai, Perrion Winfrey

------------------------------------

Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

A healthy Akiem Hicks

JoHn_NaDa@25cbowman25

Who’s the one guy available that makes you do a complete 180 or does it have to be a trade for 1 guy to make the difference

Things are slow right now...  Is there any way to acquire DeAndre Hopkins cheap, given his status?
Going for the all century - DNP team?  Not sure, what you define as cheap but seems extremely unlikely considering the potential window (more of a peephole) the Cardinals are facing with Murray still on the roster, etc. 

It seems like you would be better served getting a guy who has underperformed like Laviska Shenault, Denzel Mims or even bargain shopping for a Brandin Cooks?

Going for the all century - DNP team?  Not sure, what you define as cheap but seems extremely unlikely considering the potential window (more of a peephole) the Cardinals are facing with Murray still on the roster, etc. 

It seems like you would be better served getting a guy who has underperformed like Laviska Shenault, Denzel Mims or even bargain shopping for a Brandin Cooks?
Viska is the one I've been quietly hoping for. 

Went to CU and always liked LaViska and would love to have him but now that Clowney is back, DT is priority #1 IMHO.

I'd like to see what Watson can do with the WRs. 

I like Bell, not sure we have much after Amari but I like Bell and I'd like to see what Watson can do with DPJ and Schwartz and the kid from Chicago.

IMHO, adding a three-down veteran DT would be the first thing I put on AB's to-do list, then???

Went to CU and always liked LaViska and would love to have him but now that Clowney is back, DT is priority #1 IMHO.

I'd like to see what Watson can do with the WRs. 

I like Bell, not sure we have much after Amari but I like Bell and I'd like to see what Watson can do with DPJ and Schwartz and the kid from Chicago.

IMHO, adding a three-down veteran DT would be the first thing I put on AB's to-do list, then???
From a spending perspective, agreed - if there's anything available before the Baker contract is behind us it's DT. A Ronnie Harrison esque trade for Viska doesn't impede that though.

4 batted balls
Hmmnn.  

I would not have guessed these three QBs lead the league in passes batted down at the LOS last year.

----------------------

Aaron Schatz @FO_ASchatz

Here's a fun stat. Do you want to see who led the NFL in passes batted at the line last year? Josh Allen (6-5), Justin Herbert (6-6) and Ben Roethlisberger (6-5), in that order. Passes batted down have nothing to do with QB height.

Hmmnn.  

I would not have guessed these three QBs lead the league in passes batted down at the LOS last year.

----------------------

Aaron Schatz @FO_ASchatz

Here's a fun stat. Do you want to see who led the NFL in passes batted at the line last year? Josh Allen (6-5), Justin Herbert (6-6) and Ben Roethlisberger (6-5), in that order. Passes batted down have nothing to do with QB height.
Percentage of passes batted is probably a better stat.  Baker had to be leading that one

i finally read all of the allegations against Watson.  

a few of them i found to be… awkward?  as in logistically unbelievable.  

but overall, my impression is that Watson is a creepy person.  

going to be difficult rooting for the Browns this year. 

Not understanding how Njoku should be paid as a top 5 TE when he has not even given top 20 TE production over the last 5 years.  I get wanting to keep your players but he took the team for a ride on this one.

Not understanding how Njoku should be paid as a top 5 TE when he has not even given top 20 TE production over the last 5 years.  I get wanting to keep your players but he took the team for a ride on this one.
I'll be surprised if the team can't easily get out of it after year 2 if the perpetual tease routine continues. This will lower his cap number for this year to maximize our roll over into next year.

Not sure its a statement on Chief's upside as a top-TE.  I think its more of a statement that we aren't going to pay for a #2 WR in free agency. 

Njoku can play the role of a #2 WR.  WR cost has skyrocketed so we need a rookie WR contract for four years.  AB 'hopes' a rookie WR develops.  The contract buys two years.

We don't know how much of an impact Watson will have in developing the talent Baker simply wasn't able to extract so we 'may' have something with  DPJ or Bell.  Stefanski has 'talked-up' Peoples-Jones.  

The wild card factor of the suspension, it makes sense to hold off spending tons on a #2 WR.

Njoku developed his in-line blocking skills and has always shown ability as a red-zone target.  A proven blocker with the top-two highest paid guard duo added to the top-paid RB duo makes the offense 'easier' for a guy like Jacoby should he have to start longer than expected.  

Njoku fills two roles, in-line blocking TE and red-zone target.  They will lean on him till a rookie WR develops, hopefully Harrison Bryant develops to fill Njoku's role in two years when we surely will be looking to move-on from that contract.

Chief has come a long way as a blocker.  That is a big plus in Stefanski's offense.  Especially if Jacoby Brissett plays more than expected due to a suspension.  Stefanski can shift to a run-heavy offense till Watson comes back.

Without Watson, developing a rookie WR isn't as likely.  Doesn't make sense to heavily invest in a veteran FA WR with a 'possible' long suspension hanging over our heads.  

Placed in that context, the Njoku contract makes a lot of sense.

he's never really reached the talent he has, but you don't lose that talent... so does ownership/mgmt believe Watson is going to blow him up and want him locked in now and now have to pay more/lose him later?

only thing I can think of... we've all seen him make some huge plays/wild nabs... 

Users who are viewing this thread