What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dear makers of Elf on a shelf (1 Viewer)

My kids woke up to Elvis the Elf pinning CM Punk in my son's WWE toy wrestling ring this morning, while wearing the heavyweight championship belt...guess he stopped in at Monday Night Raw on the way back to our house last night...
:lmao:

I assumed the "no touching" schtick is to help parents by preventing kids from losing the elf thereby ruining the whole thing

My kids aren't phased by this at all. They think its cool that he changes places but thats about it. They could give a crap that he "watches them" to make sure they are good and report back to Santa. If the makers of this product would attach some velco to the hands this would be way better, that way you don't have the apocalypse coming when he accidentally falls to the ground or your kids get a little too eager and touch him/her.

Third year in our hose with Elfie. I have forgotten three times already this year and told the kids I told Elfie not to leave because Santa would have had gotten some bad reports. Also told them that is the last time I am saving them from the bad list. Running out of excuses.

Great tradition though as the kids love it.

Third year in our hose with Elfie. I have forgotten three times already this year and told the kids I told Elfie not to leave because Santa would have had gotten some bad reports. Also told them that is the last time I am saving them from the bad list. Running out of excuses. Great tradition though as the kids love it.
elfie?

Third year in our hose with Elfie. I have forgotten three times already this year and told the kids I told Elfie not to leave because Santa would have had gotten some bad reports. Also told them that is the last time I am saving them from the bad list. Running out of excuses. Great tradition though as the kids love it.
elfie?
Kids are supposed to give the elf a name, and kids aren't always the most original. My niece and nephew named there's Reggie.

I hate the elf too - it is a PITA. Kids do love it though. It's most definitely genius - I hope that whomever came up with the idea is making bank, and not toiling in some cubicle somewhere. Elf on the shelf is a new Christmas tradition - as strong (or stronger) of a character than Rudolph. And, whomever makes it has exclusive rights, including movies, books, accessories, etc.
The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition (ISBN 978-0-9769907-9-6) is a children’s picture book written by American mother and daughter Carol Aebersold and Chanda Bell, and illustrated by Coë Steinwart. The book was self-published in 2005 by CCA and B Publishing in Marietta, GA. The Elf on the Shelf comes in a keepsake box that features the hardbound book and a small pixie scout elf. Written in rhyme with accompanying watercolor illustrations, it is a Christmas tale of how Santa knows who is naughty and nice. The described tradition of The Elf on the Shelf usually begins around Thanksgiving and lasts until Christmas Eve, when the elves return to the North Pole until the next holiday season. The book spent time as the number one best-seller at Barnes and Noble's website.[1]

In response to numerous rejections from major publishing houses, Aebersold and Bell ultimately self-published The Elf on the Shelf; along with Bell's twin sister Christa Pitts, they created their own publishing company under the name of CCA and B ("Creatively Classic Activities and Books"). After initially publishing 300 copies of The Elf on the Shelf, they had sold over 1.5 million copies by the end of 2010.[2]
Oh yeah, their raking in some serious cash. And all those publishers that rejected it are probably feeling pretty damn stupid.
good for them. Makes me feel a little better about this damn thing.

12 excuses for when you forget to move EOTS

My 7yo asked if we could get an EOTS last night. i blurted out that it isn't real; it's just a toy. oso the dream-crusher.

I hate the elf too - it is a PITA. Kids do love it though. It's most definitely genius - I hope that whomever came up with the idea is making bank, and not toiling in some cubicle somewhere. Elf on the shelf is a new Christmas tradition - as strong (or stronger) of a character than Rudolph. And, whomever makes it has exclusive rights, including movies, books, accessories, etc.
Has to be a horror movie.
:shrug: no worse than any other movie my 3 yr old and 5 yr old daughters watch over and over and over and over... My Little Pony, Toy Story, Tangled, anything from the Barbie franchise, etc.

Ours is Mr. Peppermint... when the little girl starts acting up, a quick "Oh Mister Peeeeepermiinnnnt...." snaps her into shape quick like.

We've had ours since 05 or 06?? Got it as a Christmas gift for our girls from a family friend. He's been around so long now, that 3 of my 4 girls are old enough to know the truth.. which makes it easier on us because they help move him for us. Only the youngest (7) is still a believer.

I have instituted a rule this year that the elf won't come to our house until the kids Christmas lists are complete. This has already bought me over a week of not having to deal with it. I would highly recommend this tactic.
Wouldn't this just encourage them not to give you the list until the night before so they don't have to worry about the elf ratting them out?
Our Elf doesn't rat to Santa. We are in Cranston Rhode Island and we don't believe in rats here.

My ex is doing Elf On A Shelf for the first time this year, kids are 8 and 4 and love it.

Problem is that she spent her wad too early on Elfie (his name) creative ways. So far the elf has done the following:

Decorated the Christmas tree with the kid's underwear

Raced Ken in two Barbie cars. Both drivers had Barbies riding with them.

Shared a "drink" with Barbie as both had straws in a bottle of maple syrup.

Playing a game of UNO with other stuffed animals

Riding a paper origami dragon that was also moved out of the room it is normally in.

Spelled his name in toothpaste on the bathroom mirror

Vandalized a Christmas photo of the kids with Santa, giving everyone crazy hair and beards with a sharpie.

Playing Angry Birds.

Performing a ukulele concert in front of a crowd of about 20 stuffed animals.

Thankfully I only have to come up with about 4 ideas for the nights I have them before Christmas.

My ex is doing Elf On A Shelf for the first time this year, kids are 8 and 4 and love it.Problem is that she spent her wad too early on Elfie (his name) creative ways. So far the elf has done the following:Decorated the Christmas tree with the kid's underwearRaced Ken in two Barbie cars. Both drivers had Barbies riding with them.Shared a "drink" with Barbie as both had straws in a bottle of maple syrup. Playing a game of UNO with other stuffed animalsRiding a paper origami dragon that was also moved out of the room it is normally in.Spelled his name in toothpaste on the bathroom mirrorVandalized a Christmas photo of the kids with Santa, giving everyone crazy hair and beards with a sharpie.Playing Angry Birds. Performing a ukulele concert in front of a crowd of about 20 stuffed animals.Thankfully I only have to come up with about 4 ideas for the nights I have them before Christmas.
wow... ours just moves to a different location each night... ;)

My ex is doing Elf On A Shelf for the first time this year, kids are 8 and 4 and love it.Problem is that she spent her wad too early on Elfie (his name) creative ways. So far the elf has done the following:Decorated the Christmas tree with the kid's underwearRaced Ken in two Barbie cars. Both drivers had Barbies riding with them.Shared a "drink" with Barbie as both had straws in a bottle of maple syrup. Playing a game of UNO with other stuffed animalsRiding a paper origami dragon that was also moved out of the room it is normally in.Spelled his name in toothpaste on the bathroom mirrorVandalized a Christmas photo of the kids with Santa, giving everyone crazy hair and beards with a sharpie.Playing Angry Birds. Performing a ukulele concert in front of a crowd of about 20 stuffed animals.Thankfully I only have to come up with about 4 ideas for the nights I have them before Christmas.
Yeah, that is way out of my league. Mr Peppermint generally just, you know, sits on a shelf.

THISwomen are nuts

THISwomen are nuts
:lol: My wife even thought this was too much work.

:lmao: Your ex is an Elf on the Shelf HOFer.

THISwomen are nuts
I don't have kids, but this seems pretty cool. Kids must dig it. I would only do it like every Friday night or something, though. Such a smart idea - these women killed it.

Its realy interesting when we are at my Dad's house. My step-mother has a green one that is really freaking old that is always just sitting out in the same spot every year.
are you sure it isn't dead?

My kids woke up to Elvis the Elf pinning CM Punk in my son's WWE toy wrestling ring this morning, while wearing the heavyweight championship belt...guess he stopped in at Monday Night Raw on the way back to our house last night...
AWESOME! :thumbup:

Not for nothing, but don't take your little kids past them in Target. Last night, I saw about 4 shelves filled with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
THISwomen are nuts
I don't have kids, but this seems pretty cool. Kids must dig it. I would only do it like every Friday night or something, though. Such a smart idea - these women killed it.
Oh, my son would absolutely love it. I mentioned it to my wife...we might try a couple here or there, but there's no way I'd be able to do something like that every day.

Don't try to institute this when your kids are teens.

My wife brought it home and was having fun with it the first couple of nights by putting it in funny situations only to wake up Saturday morning to it hanging by its neck with an iPod charger cord from the ceiling fan. For added measure, my son turned the fan on low so the elf was spinning slowly around and around as she entered the room.

Don't try to institute this when your kids are teens.My wife brought it home and was having fun with it the first couple of nights by putting it in funny situations only to wake up Saturday morning to it hanging by its neck with an iPod charger cord from the ceiling fan. For added measure, my son turned the fan on low so the elf was spinning slowly around and around as she entered the room.
My son tells me he had a thought of taking the elf's head and mounting it on our desert tortoise (ala Breaking Bad) but because the weather change he couldn't find him because he's dug in hibernated somewhere.Snitch's don't do we'll in my household

Don't try to institute this when your kids are teens.My wife brought it home and was having fun with it the first couple of nights by putting it in funny situations only to wake up Saturday morning to it hanging by its neck with an iPod charger cord from the ceiling fan. For added measure, my son turned the fan on low so the elf was spinning slowly around and around as she entered the room.
Can't decide if that's better or worse than my idea of having Elfie behind a naked Barbie on all fours.

:lmao: rulez

Wow. I am thankful my kids aren't into this at all.
:confused: Really? It take zero effort at all to move this thing once a day.
I just don't have the will to lie to my kids about stupid ####. . .
so they dont believe in Santa Claus?
No, they never have - kids are now 10, 9, and 3. My 9 year old reports that the vast majority of the kids in his 3rd grade class still believe in Santa.I've been lambasted on these boards in the past for my No-Santa approach.

That's just not right
So wrong.
My 3 yr old doesnt feel threatened by his AT ALL.Me - Son, if you dont listen, Max (elf's name) will go to the North Pole and tell Santa you're being a bad boy and he wont come backSon- :shrug: (as he threatens to touch him)
This is remedied when he doesn't get any presents from Santa :shrug:
Sincerely thought about going this route :unsure:
Santa came to our house, but gave our son underwear, some sticks and leaves etc with a note saying if he was really sorry four touching the elf mama and daddy had the rest of his presents and we could give them to him if we chose. Never a problem since.
Way to follow through. :thumbup:
Can't decide if that's better or worse than my idea of having Elfie behind a naked Barbie on all fours.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/jaysus145/OBC/IMG_5140.jpg
Seriously? It's worse than when I was in college and the guys made someone's tickle me Elmo hump every stuffed animal around. Personally I don't want to do it. Not gonna start it. You can't make me.

This year, my daughter wrote him (Henry) a question on a piece of paper and when she went to bed, we answered it. Now, she's had this "conversation" going every night with a different question and he scrawls out a 1 or 2 word answer. It's pretty funny.

"If I touch you, will you really lose your magic?"

"How do you like being an elf?"

"Do you have any brothers or sisters?"

I've forgotten several times to move himI just tell my son he must have liked that spot...he seems to buy it
Told my daughter that he was probably tired and/or taking the weekend off. She was a little concerned that it was because she touched it.I do like the schtick posted upthread of having the elf steal things and whatnot.

We didnt do the official Elf but my wife wanted to be more creative and do her own version. Its one of the tinkerbell fairies dressed up in christmas garb that showed up one night in a sleigh she painted with a tiny scroll. My 7 year old exchanged letters with it a couple of times now and put a bed out for it last night that it was in this morning when she woke up. She believes but also wasnt totally buying at first. Thinking it may be the last year for Santa for her. Cant remember how old I was when I found out hut I was crushed. Nothing like setting up your children for a big let down eh?

This year, my daughter wrote him (Henry) a question on a piece of paper and when she went to bed, we answered it. Now, she's had this "conversation" going every night with a different question and he scrawls out a 1 or 2 word answer. It's pretty funny."If I touch you, will you really lose your magic?" "How do you like being an elf?""Do you have any brothers or sisters?"
Do you have a ouija board? You can have him just point to the "yes" and "no" sections of the board.

Never heard of Elf on the Shelf.

We say the star on top of the tree is Santa Claus's antenna, and it can see what you are doing. Same concept it seems.

My son tells me he had a thought of taking the elf's head and mounting it on our desert tortoise (ala Breaking Bad) but because the weather change he couldn't find him because he's dug in hibernated somewhere.Snitch's don't do we'll in my household
that's awesome

Don't try to institute this when your kids are teens.

My wife brought it home and was having fun with it the first couple of nights by putting it in funny situations only to wake up Saturday morning to it hanging by its neck with an iPod charger cord from the ceiling fan. For added measure, my son turned the fan on low so the elf was spinning slowly around and around as she entered the room.
Tortuga!"Hola, DEA.

Users who are viewing this thread