What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (2 Viewers)

This was a must have on my island, my 1b all-time hip hop album to Paul’s Boutique. 

This was released the same day as Nevermind in 1991. My college roommate and I ran to Tower Records when it opened that Tuesday (skipped class), he got Tribe and I got Nirvana. Now, that year was a constant battle of the bands, with my rock/alternative against his hip hop - and he usually won since his stereo setup was way better than mine. Needless to say, Low End Theory and Nevermind dominated the dorm room the whole year. Yo Mama selects:

5.19 - A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

1 - Excursions

2 - Buggin’ Out

3 - Rap Promotor

4 - Butter

5 - Verses from the Abstract

6 - Show Business

7 - Vibes and Stuff

8 - The Infamous Date Rape

9 - Check the Rhime 

10 - Everything is Fine

11 - Jazz (We’ve Got)

12 - Skypager

13 - What?

14 - Scenario

Tough for me to not go with scenario, but it was pretty much on every mix tape I made in the 90s and 00s, plus I think my other choice is a better fit for my personal playlist. 
Check the Rhime

Excursions

Round 5 

Murder Ballads - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds 

figured i'd lighten things up on my eyeluhnd ... what better way than with some ballads?  :D

yeah, it's nothing short of as advertised - nine yarns of devilishly sick deeds, set to some of the nastiest and bluesy/boozy accompaniment - ripping yarns about ripping flesh, and hearts, asunder. 

coupla softer slices of depravity in here as well, where Nick duets with both PJ Harvey ("Henry Lee") and Kylie ("Where The Wild Roses Grow") Minogue (yes, THE Locomotion gal ... those Ozzies stick together).

the tenth track is a cover of Dylan's "Death Is Not The End" featuring all the players (including the gals), and also Shane McGowan ... was a fitting end to the maelstrom of dirty deeds that proceeded it. 

Nick is a wicked bastid soul, such a brilliant and visionary dude - gotta rank him as a top 5 guy in my canon - he's a ridiculously under appreciated artist - and that's an understatement.

album that grabs the throat latch from jump, then chains ya up 'til it's last note - nothing short of an epic masterwork by the man himself. 

just plain ol' nasty ###, ghoulish fun - dig it. 

Stagger Lee   <--- *NSFW*

Curse of Milhaven

(shame to narow this nugget down to two, but those are the ones i gotta go with)

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a must have on my island, my 1b all-time hip hop album to Paul’s Boutique. 

This was released the same day as Nevermind in 1991. My college roommate and I ran to Tower Records when it opened that Tuesday (skipped class), he got Tribe and I got Nirvana. Now, that year was a constant battle of the bands, with my rock/alternative against his hip hop - and he usually won since his stereo setup was way better than mine. Needless to say, Low End Theory and Nevermind dominated the dorm room the whole year. Yo Mama selects:

5.19 - A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

Tough for me to not go with scenario, but it was pretty much on every mix tape I made in the 90s and 00s, plus I think my other choice is a better fit for my personal playlist. 
Check the Rhime

Excursions
It's high up there on the ranking of all-time album release days, and it's not even just Tribe and Nirvana.

Perfect song picks. :thumbup:

5.16  Wilco - Summerteeth

From start to finish this album and the other one we were discussing yesterday are their best.  I took the other one last time and I've found myself gravitating to Summerteeth more than any of their others over the past couple years.

A Shot In The Arm

Via Chicago

@shuke
I think I like this one better than the other one also - and don’t get me wrong I love the other one.

5.23  Brazil Classics 1: Beleza Tropical  -  Various Artists

A compilation of Brazilian Tropicalia sounds from 1971-84 featuring Caetano Veloso, Jorge Ben, Gilberto Gil, Milton Nascimento and others.  My distain for CDs is well documented on this board but it fostered a great era for compilation albums.  This was the debut release on David Byrne's vanity label Luaka Bop.  Byrne's love for the music is evident in his liner notes.

My knowledge of Portuguese is limited to hello, goodbye, thank you and how much does this cost so I can't understand a lick of the lyrics here.  But seldom has the cliche of music as a universal language been more true than with this collection of songs.  The music is gloriously sensual and swings like a mutha while appearing to float effortlessly.  There are some gorgeous melodies here with little rhythmic delights at every turn. This is a wonderful record that would make my island with or without my draft gimmick.

Sonho Meu - Maria Bethânia & Gal Costa

Eu Só Quero Um Xodó - Gilberto Gil

@Oliver Humanzee

A compilation of Brazilian Tropicalia sounds from 1971-84 featuring Caetano Veloso, Jorge Ben, Gilberto Gil, Milton Nascimento and others.  My distain for CDs is well documented on this board but it fostered a great era for compilation albums.  This was the debut release on David Byrne's vanity label Luaka Bop.  Byrne's love for the music is evident in his liner notes.

My knowledge of Portuguese is limited to hello, goodbye, thank you and how much does this cost so I can't understand a lick of the lyrics here.  But seldom has the cliche of music as a universal language been more true than with this collection of songs.  The music is gloriously sensual and swings like a mutha while appearing to float effortlessly.  There are some gorgeous melodies here with little rhythmic delights at every turn. This is a wonderful record that would make my island with or without my draft gimmick.

@Oliver Humanzee
No Girl from Ipanema?

@Oliver Humanzee
Really enjoying this shtick. I don't think I could pull it off.

Talk about nailing a sound though. Feels like that’s almost as hard as being a virtuoso. 
I’m not a player, so I’m sure he’s technically proficient and better than he sounds. I just find his playing mostly boring and the “nailing a sound” part while true is sort of why. He always sounds the same to me.
He didn't know how to play the guitar until they formed the band. He had played with his brother's acoustic when he was around 13 or so, but didn't buy an electric until he and the other three decided they wanted to be a band. The drummer had a set of drums, but the others had to buy some instruments. Edge taught himself to play, and formed his own sound basically by trying to learn to play the guitar in general. 

After my initial listen through their catalog, this album was dead last in my rankings. On subsequent listening it has risen a lot.
It's a perfect bridge from where they were to what they could be, a great blend of tunes imho

A1No Reply /  Written-By – Lennon-McCartney

A2I'm A Loser / Written-By – Lennon-McCartney

A3Baby's In Black / Written-By – Lennon-McCartney

A4Rock And Roll Music / Written-By – Berry*

A5I'll Follow The Sun / Written-By – Lennon-McCartney

A6Mr. Moonlight /  Written-By – Johnson*

A7Kansas City / Written-By – Lieber-Stoller*

B1Eight Days A Week / Written-By – Lennon-McCartney

B2Words Of Love / Written-By – Holly*

B3Honey Don't / Written-By – Perkins*

B4Every Little Thing / Written-By – Lennon-McCartney

B5I Don't Want To Spoil The Party / Written-By – Lennon-McCartney

B6What You're Doing / Written-By – Lennon-McCartney

B7Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby / Written-By – Perkins*

5.24. Neil Young & Crazy Horse — Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Another NY&CH record has my favorite NY&CHsong on it, but this is a better record and can any song be THAT much better than “Down By the River”?  Of course it can’t, dummy.

I’ll add links in a minute.  
#### #### #### #### #### ####

5.25 - George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

My favorite of the post-Beatles Beatle-y output, and a rare instance where Phil Spector did not ruin a record.  George's development as a songwriter was spectacular.  A few of these songs could have been Beatles songs but were rejected.  WTF?!?!

Since I plan to do a post-Beatles Beatles countdown and don't want to spoil anything, I might be engaging in misdirection with my song picks.  OR AM I?

What Is Life

All Things Must Pass 

In my Beatles thread, @wikkidpissah posted a perfectly beautiful summary of his reaction to this record, and I want everyone who didn't see it there to have an opportunity to read it.

I've heard ATMP a thousand times but have listened to it maybe thrice. As someone who always hated bliss, i usually gave it short shrift. During my runaway years, i encountered dozens of alternative communities filled w Blissies and all this city boy could think of was "we've spent 200 years fighting our way out of the yolks of altar & throne........for THIS?! Just trade it all in for yet another myth?!" And, unfortunately, Harrison was the unofficial captain of the "oh....yeah.....cool......peace" movement, so i gave his music much less attention & respect than it deserved. My loss.

I check out that side one more time and i hear everything i want to hear from a side - invention, melody, humor, wisdom and, most important, the ability to hold my sway for a while. That's one thing artists seldom understand any longer, the responsibility of being better than other people being to make other people better. The power to make them offer to put themselves in the palm of your hand that they may be comforted, enlightened, inspired, relieved of life's awful burdens for a short time and given a view from above it all.

He warned us. George Harrison was a product of what he saw, not what he knew, as most great artists are in their approach to their work. And, relieved of the onus of great inner fire, he was able to say, quite early on in counterculture terms, "It's all bull####, don't you know. Find peace in your heart and you will see that it's so. I don't have to be complicated and neither do you. Here are some songs about complicated people and how silly is all they do."

Beware of Maya. Beware of illusions which become delusions. Open your heart before you open your mind and it will go oh so much more easily. And now, almost 50 years on, almost everything is Maya. My gen did indeed cast the bliss aside and what for? Identity & individuality, liberty & license, consumption & concupiscence. Now all we look for is peace, take pills for peace, be mindful for peace. ####ed out, tensed up, pissed off, shut down are we. Oh....yeah.....cool......peace. Sounds pretty good all of a sudden. All things must pass.
@landrys hat

I'm going to draft an island.  I like a nice temperate climate and had asked earlier (twice) if the existing fauna would be on the island, because I wasn't going to take this one due to the grizzlies.  I'll assume the fauna won't be there, or that if the bears are, they will be more like Yogi and Boo-Boo and less like those that Timothy Treadwell tried to befriend.

Vancouver Island

5.25 - George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

My favorite of the post-Beatles Beatle-y output, and a rare instance where Phil Spector did not ruin a record.  George's development as a songwriter was spectacular.  A few of these songs could have been Beatles songs but were rejected.  WTF?!?!

Since I plan to do a post-Beatles Beatles countdown and don't want to spoil anything, I might be engaging in misdirection with my song picks.  OR AM I?

What Is Life

All Things Must Pass 

In my Beatles thread, @wikkidpissah posted a perfectly beautiful summary of his reaction to this record, and I want everyone who didn't see it there to have an opportunity to read it.

@landrys hat
REALLY????

MOTHER ####ER!!!!!

GDAMMIT!!!!  THIS WAS MY OTHER ALBUM I WAS COIN FLIPPING LAST PICK!!!   :wall: :cry:

I'm going to draft an island.  I like a nice temperate climate and had asked earlier (twice) if the existing fauna would be on the island, because I wasn't going to take this one due to the grizzlies.  I'll assume the fauna won't be there, or that if the bears are, they will be more like Yogi and Boo-Boo and less like those that Timothy Treadwell tried to befriend.

Vancouver Island
That's a big ole island too.

With nobody else on the island you'll have to learn to make your own Nanaimo bars and cucumber sandwiches though.

Island is tough...we used to island hop up and down the Caribbean before the kids (and got married on Anguilla, which is my favorite place and should be my pick). I grew up going on sailing vacations (like renting an RV and cruisimg around, just on boats) and got to see some amazing places...highlight of Tonga...and if uninhabited is a must, I'd have to research one of those we stopped at for a few days to ride out rougher weather...most amazing reef and waterlife I've ever seen.

But saw this pop up recently and I'll take it sight unseen. Lord Howes Island (Aussie). Mountains wildlife beaches beautiful water. 

Users who are viewing this thread