What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (1 Viewer)

REALLY????

MOTHER ####ER!!!!!

GDAMMIT!!!!  THIS WAS MY OTHER ALBUM I WAS COIN FLIPPING LAST PICK!!!   :wall: :cry:
Sorry.  :(   I told simey I thought this wouldn't get back to me because you'd take it in Round 4 or 5.  You can come visit Vancouver Island and listen with me.

That's a big ole island too.

With nobody else on the island you'll have to learn to make your own Nanaimo bars and cucumber sandwiches though.
:lol:   My mom just made some Nanimo bars this week!  I can live without the tea and cucumber sandwiches, though.

5.23  Brazil Classics 1: Beleza Tropical  -  Various Artists

A compilation of Brazilian Tropicalia sounds from 1971-84 featuring Caetano Veloso, Jorge Ben, Gilberto Gil, Milton Nascimento and others.  My distain for CDs is well documented on this board but it fostered a great era for compilation albums.  This was the debut release on David Byrne's vanity label Luaka Bop.  Byrne's love for the music is evident in his liner notes.

My knowledge of Portuguese is limited to hello, goodbye, thank you and how much does this cost so I can't understand a lick of the lyrics here.  But seldom has the cliche of music as a universal language been more true than with this collection of songs.  The music is gloriously sensual and swings like a mutha while appearing to float effortlessly.  There are some gorgeous melodies here with little rhythmic delights at every turn. This is a wonderful record that would make my island with or without my draft gimmick.

Sonho Meu - Maria Bethânia & Gal Costa

Eu Só Quero Um Xodó - Gilberto Gil

@Oliver Humanzee
Wasn't on my list 'cause I'm only doing compilations when unavoidable, but wonderful selection, wonderful pick. Byrne is absolutely all about that Tropicalia, and I love it.

But I do mean to get some of my compatriots on the island, particularly if we're going 30+ rounds.

Island is tough...we used to island hop up and down the Caribbean before the kids (and got married on Anguilla, which is my favorite place and should be my pick). I grew up going on sailing vacations (like renting an RV and cruisimg around, just on boats) and got to see some amazing places...highlight of Tonga...and if uninhabited is a must, I'd have to research one of those we stopped at for a few days to ride out rougher weather...most amazing reef and waterlife I've ever seen.

But saw this pop up recently and I'll take it sight unseen. Lord Howes Island (Aussie). Mountains wildlife beaches beautiful water. 
And since it is Australia, no shortage of things waiting to kill you, in horrific fashion.

I just bought premium family spotify.  I merged my son and I accidentally.  I lost this draft list, but gained all kinds of weird rap from 2020 apparently.

5.24. Neil Young & Crazy Horse — Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Another NY&CH record has my favorite NY&CHsong on it, but this is a better record and can any song be THAT much better than “Down By the River”?  Of course it can’t, dummy.

I’ll add links in a minute.  
Damn - wanted this one. You could have "Down By The River" and "Cowgirl In The Sand" along with 25 minutes of Neil brushing his teeth, and it would still be a great album.

I have an Australian buddy who lives in Melbourne and he has a running shtick of sending me news stories about terrifying Australian bugs, animals, snakes, etc.. I want to visit him, but I'm a skeered to.
dat Huntsman, tho :thumbup:

my ex visited down undah couple years ago, biggest Arachnophobic you could imagine ... she saw one and wet herself  :lol:

why she went to an exhibit to see one is beyond me  :shrug:

I'm actually getting out of the house in about 45 minutes.  Can I leave my pick with someone if I'm not up by then.

5.29 - Peter Gabriel - So (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)

First concert I ever went to as a teen without parents. Fifth row, stage right at one of those outdoor places with regular seats and lawn. (Great Woods in Mansfield back then for any MA-holes out there!) such an awesome show.

1. That Voice Again
2. Don't Give Up (w/Kate Bush)

If specifying the edition is cheating, oh well! You basically get a whole concert included, including one of the best songs to see/hear performed live. (Not the version on the album, but...)

Just for fun a good reaction to the Sledgehammer video (one of the best of the 80s).

First concert I ever went to as a teen without parents. Fifth row, stage right at one of those outdoor places with regular seats and lawn. (Great Woods in Mansfield back then for any MA-holes out there!) such an awesome show.

1. That Voice Again

If specifying the edition is cheating, oh well! You basically get a whole concert included, including one of the best songs to see/hear performed live. (Not the version on the album, but...)

Just for fun a good reaction to the Sledgehammer video (one of the best of the 80s).
That helps me narrow down my next 2 picks so... thank you?

1. That Voice Again

Don't Give Up: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

1. That Voice Again

well ...this hurt ...quite a bit

it's about a "3" compared the "11" snipe from krista

great pick ...####, ####, #### ...this a bad run man

Round 4

Steely Dan - The Royal Scam Night at Chicago

Again I go "off-spotify" sorry. So I link tracks two ways. Do as you wish with the playlist.

Kid Charlemagne (That's spotify from the studio album if you want to playlist it)

Kid Charlemagne Live 2009 (youtube)

The Caves of Altamira (spotify from studio album))

The Caves of Altamira (live 09)

The whole album on youtube

In addition to getting Royal Scam straight through with sweet extended versions, this gives me:

01. Hey Nineteen
02. Dirty Work
03. Black Friday
04. I Got The News
05. Aja
06. Parker's Band
07. Live Wire
08. Peg
09. Third World Man
10. Piano Intro / Josie
11. My Old School
12. Reelin' In The Years
13. Last Tango In Paris

Hard to express how much a jazzophile like me adores Steely Dan's entire canon. Simply, gun to head, my favorite band.

From a random review, something I couldn't have said better:

Their lack of influence while being so commercial is a testament to their greatness. Most musicians who are that jazz-influenced and that capable of sophisticated musical arrangements end up lost in humorless wankery. Most rockers who are that literate, intellectual, and honestly funny have little interest in the business of seriously developing their chops or being taskmasters over the world’s top session players. Steely Dan are where the twain met, and if the twain met only one time, it was enough to give us enough great records for a lifetime. The day that Becker met Fagen shouldn’t be celebrated as any less serendipitous an occasion than the day Lennon met McCartney or Jagger met Richards, even if Steely Dan was never going to spark a revolution.
I had Aja on deck if AiC unplugged was sniped. When Aja fell, I was good because Royal Scam or ##### would have filled the void, and I wanted those Unpluggeds. During this draft I realized Aja was my pat favorite for the high school nostalgia, but Royal Scam is my preference now. It's all about drugs and thugs, crime and violence. Plenty of fodder for Cos's crime draft idea. Kid Charlemagne my favorite song, Carlton's solo within my favorite moment. And, wth, there is a bunch of extended Aja tracks in this live performance. This is my SOD. 

They did this show for 5 nights. The first three with super session man Jon Herington on lead guitar. The last two night the recording equipment came in so Becker and Fagan brought in Larry Carlton. I mentioned earlier his guitar never annoys me like some now do. His playing was so (no word works atm)... they put his name on the album cover, "with Larry Carlton." Just to let us junkies know he was back. The vocals (fronting and backing) are not up the band's pristine studio quality. Nor is the overall production. I don't care. The musicianship, (drums, sax and keys along with Larry) is for me beyond their pristine studio quality. A recent comment from Youtube hit one of the nails on the head, Larry Carlton's like " hold my beer, I got this! If the album was titled Larry Carlton with special guest Steely Dan, it would be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread