What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Music Draft-Albums-Artist Alphabet Island- ****Make ALL owed picks soon or we will pick for you**** (1 Viewer)

Round 3 

The Neutral Milk thing about flying

I can't even begin to think I knew about indie rock before I listened to this. @Abrantes hit gold here

Boston 

Can not believe I am loving a Boston album this hard right now.  @Mr. Ected NAILD THIS.  Can't beat Foreplay/Long Time. 

Phoenix- Lisztominia 

Bored me tbh 

Last edited by a moderator:
JZilla said:
goes back to Chili Peppers and Faith No More.. without whom there would have been no Blood Sugar Sex Magic.. peppers HATED Faith No More, thought they were ripping them off, then FNM puts out a nutpuncher.. peppers put out a better nutpuncher then went back to being lame which is what they are
Dodgers suck too

I saw them in college. Was pretty bored, actually. But I was way into trad and proto-punk when I saw them, so that may have had something to do with it.
David Yow did some shows with the remnants of Flipper in 2015.  He's still a great front man, outrageous and hysterical even.

I'm listening to the Bill Evans solo album that WP posted a few pages back.

ETA:  The rhythm sections in Evans' trios were always sympathetic to the him but there's a wonderful fluidity in his playing without one.

Limp Ditka said:
Thinking the Japandroids - Celebration Rock probably hurt the most.
I wasn't in this thread at all yesterday because I took most of the day off and spent it drinking in the afternoon and seeing Japandroids last night. We went early for Craig Finn and ended up in the very front row for Japandroids. It was absolutely amazing. They played 6/8 from Celebration Rock, Wet Hair, Young Hearts Spark Fire, pretty much all of the new album. I think it's going in my top 3 favourite concerts ever (with my first time seeing The Hold Steady, and of course, Foals). 

Basically I'm not story I stole this from you. Also the Celebration Rock vinyl is awesome. White vinyl with a 12 page photo/lyric book :thumbup:  

I wasn't in this thread at all yesterday because I took most of the day off and spent it drinking in the afternoon and seeing Japandroids last night. We went early for Craig Finn and ended up in the very front row for Japandroids. It was absolutely amazing. They played 6/8 from Celebration Rock, Wet Hair, Young Hearts Spark Fire, pretty much all of the new album. I think it's going in my top 3 favourite concerts ever (with my first time seeing The Hold Steady, and of course, Foals). 

Basically I'm not story I stole this from you. Also the Celebration Rock vinyl is awesome. White vinyl with a 12 page photo/lyric book :thumbup:  
Saw them on the CR tour in Chicago. They were fantastic that night too.

I did get a text from my son on Wednesday that they were in town. I was in the city that day and for a fleeting moment, it sounded like a good idea. But between a ####ty day of work and being on the wagon, I dreaded the thought of trying to occupy myself for 3+ hours until the show started. 

I'm listening to the Bill Evans solo album that WP posted a few pages back.

ETA:  The rhythm sections in Evans' trios were always sympathetic to the him but there's a wonderful fluidity in his playing without one.
:thumbup:  i prefer his solo stuff, but listeningwise, i'm a piano sonata guy (scarlatti, bach, satie) when i'm working.

Evans also has dual-piano and even three-piano solo records that are interesting

Toughest snipe: Spoon - Gimme Fiction

Two picks before one I was about to make it with. 

Mozart has some beautiful piano sonatas too... but sounds like you go for baroque.
Mozart (whose Ks i'm complete on, i think) is too good. He carries my mind away too often to play while i work. It's like Stevie Wonder. I could be filling a pothole or a cocktail waitress and, if li'l stevie's on, i'm a-singin'!

But i'm as baroque as i am ba-roke. Dozens & dozens of Italian concerto grossi and Telemann type stuff...*mwaa!*

PIK Island

• Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
  • Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
  • Elvis Costello - Armed Forces
  • Daft Punk - Alive
  • Easy Star All Stars - Radiodread
  • Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
  • Grateful Dead - Sunshine Daydream (Veneta Or, 8/27/72)
  • Halsey - Badlands
  • INXS - X
  • Elton John - Honky Chateau
  • The Kinks - State of Confusion
  • Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
  • Van Morrison - Moondance
  • Nas - Stillmatic
  • Oasis -  (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
  • Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
  • Queen - News of the World
  • R.E.M. - Automatic For the People
  • Soundgarden - Superunknown
  • Toro Y Moi - Underneath the Pine
  • Umphrey's McGee - Zonkey
  • Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
  • Weezer - Blue
  • The XX - Coexist
  • The Yardbirds - Having a Rave Up
  • Warren Zevon - Sentimental Hygiene
Three that should have been drafted.

• Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
  • Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
  • Vampire Weekend - Contra (up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A?)

Mozart (whose Ks i'm complete on, i think) is too good. He carries my mind away too often to play while i work. It's like Stevie Wonder. I could be filling a pothole or a cocktail waitress and, if li'l stevie's on, i'm a-singin'!

But i'm as baroque as i am ba-roke. Dozens & dozens of Italian concerto grossi and Telemann type stuff...*mwaa!*
That (re: not singing to Stevie but keeping tempo w/Wolgangus) used to really piss off my violinist gf. But you reminding me of the issue gave me a good laugh. I'm still debating Bolero vs far superior Schubert because it's my island and I might catch a mermaid someday.

I agree this was an excellent draft, especially compared to several that weren't. Great job all, and again sorry I missed it. My hs girls bball team went down in flames in state playoffs yesterday. I'll continue the classical list later today and finish it up tomorrow.

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

The Band - The Last Waltz

Johnny Cash - Live At Folsom Prison

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Bill Evans - Sunday At The Village Vanguard

Fugazi - 13 Songs

Guided By Voices - Under the Bushes Under the Stars

Hot Snakes - Audit In Progress

Idlewild - 1000 Broken Windows

The Jesus Lizard - Liar

The Kinks - Something Else

Jenny Lewis and The Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Willie Nelson - The Sound In Your Mind

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Pavement - Wowee Zowee

Q and not U - No Kill Beep Beep

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt

Uncle Tupelo - No Depression

Various - Singles Soundtrack

Wu-Tang Clan - Wu-Tang Forever

Xonxai - The FFA Tapes

Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle

"Different Class", "Screamadelica" and Portishead's undrafted "Dummy" were all ahead of DSotM for me (though I like it a lot).

Round 3 

The Neutral Milk thing about flying

I can't even begin to think I knew about indie rock before I listened to this. @Abrantes hit gold here. 
Whereas my girlfriend told me to turn that depressing #### off when "Two-Headed Boy, pt. 2" came on shuffle like an hour ago. :lmao:  

I love the hell out of it, though.

:lol:  at Dark Side going undrafted.
Sorry, but I just don't like Floyd, so I'm not taking the blame for this.  Plus, "P" was a solid letter for me - Had I not taken Petty it would probably have been Grace Potter (with an outside shot at Pandora's Box for a little more Steinman).

This might or might not be amusing: I'm supposed to go to a birthday lunch tomorrow. I'm exhausted. But I keep waking up to thoughts of an arcane music draft whose rules I just can't quite seem to grasp. 

Fun!

This draft, however, was great. Thanks for running it, guys.  

PIK Island

• Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
  • Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
  • Elvis Costello - Armed Forces
  • Daft Punk - Alive
  • Easy Star All Stars - Radiodread
  • Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
  • Grateful Dead - Sunshine Daydream (Veneta Or, 8/27/72)
  • Halsey - Badlands
  • INXS - X
  • Elton John - Honky Chateau
  • The Kinks - State of Confusion
  • Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
  • Van Morrison - Moondance
  • Nas - Stillmatic
  • Oasis -  (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
  • Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
  • Queen - News of the World
  • R.E.M. - Automatic For the People
  • Soundgarden - Superunknown
  • Toro Y Moi - Underneath the Pine
  • Umphrey's McGee - Zonkey
  • Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
  • Weezer - Blue
  • The XX - Coexist
  • The Yardbirds - Having a Rave Up
  • Warren Zevon - Sentimental Hygiene
Three that should have been drafted.

• Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
  • Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
  • Vampire Weekend - Contra (up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A?)
WEISS was my backup if BTR had gotten scooped up before I drafted it.

:lmao:

Wish I could @ this whole thread, but what is the 1 album missing out on hurt the most? Either because you love it and really wanted it or because it screwed you over on a tough letter. 
for me it was having to pass up the Who's Tommy or Quadrophenia to take Wilco - either way it would have killed me.

dal_boys_phan said:
WEISS was my backup if BTR had gotten scooped up before I drafted it.
Wild Innocent is my favorite Springsteen record.  Greetings is number 2.  Darkness and Born to Run are close for the third spot.  Born in the USA and the River after that.  Nebraska never really did it for me.

Binky The Doormat said:
My T's and U's that I wish I could have gotten in.  I picked Traffic - Low Spark but really struggled with picking one of the Tubes albums - I play them all a lot.  I took U2's - Achtung Baby which was tough to override Todd's Utopia (for me, but am a big U2 fan as well) ...ugh, tough choices.  

T

The Tubes

Remote Control

What Do You Want From Live

T

Talking Heads

Fear of Music

T

James Taylor 

Mud Slide Slim

T

13th Floor Elevators

The Psychelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators

T

Traffic

Traffic

T

Trex

Electric Warrior

T

Tears for Fears

Songs From The Big Chair

T

Pete Townshend

Empty Glass

T

Ten Years After

A Space In Time

U

Utopia

Adventures in Utopia

Todd Rundgren's Utopia (newer)

Todd Rundgren's Utopia (older)

Oblivion

U

Uriah Heep

Demons and Wizards

U

U2

All That You Can't Leave Behind

Traffic - Traffic and Townsend - Empty Glass were in a virtual three way tie for my Sweet Baby James pick (it's why I put T off for so long trying to decide.

I was just spinning Rancid, And Out Come the Wolves and I forgot how great it is.  The first ten or so songs are perfection.  Wish I could have had it. It's an all timer for me.

Wild Innocent is my favorite Springsteen record.  Greetings is number 2.  Darkness and Born to Run are close for the third spot.  Born in the USA and the River after that.  Nebraska never really did it for me.
I love the old stuff more than the newer stuff, and I go back and forth on BTR vs WIESS as my favorite.  Greetings, Darkness BITUSA, and River right on next tier.  Not a huge fan of the newer material, but this is now one of my favorites (like Top 5) from seeing it on the Devils and Dust tour.

Real World (2005 Tour Version)

Users who are viewing this thread