What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Music Draft-Albums-Artist Alphabet Island- ****Make ALL owed picks soon or we will pick for you**** (1 Viewer)

I was going to suggest again my idea for the songs with long titles (6+ words?) draft.  Had this in mind after my alphabet/one word title draft.  Thought it would be too soon after this one, but if people are interested in that, I am down.   Like PIK said, I am up for whatever though. 

If we do the idea of doubling up on this draft, I would suggest being able to double up on letters as well.  26 rounds, but we can double up on 4 letters?

Last edited by a moderator:
i miss this thread already..... :kicksrock: ......

I say we do it again, same participants and no album can be taken from the previous draft.  

I'm in. Just start next Monday please.  Kids are on vacation. 

We'll need more skipped letter options, or some of the draft picks for U, X, Q, and Y are gonna be strange...

how bout going to songs, or is that what the other DIMDs were?

I'm up for whatever.   That was phun.

I was going to suggest again my idea for the songs with long titles (6+ words?) draft.  Had this in mind after my alphabet/one word title draft.  Thought it would be too soon after this one, but if people are interested in that, I am down.   Like PIK said, I am up for whatever though. 

If we do the idea of doubling up on this draft, I would suggest being able to double up on letters as well.  26 rounds, but we can double up on 4 letters?

Me too... Although I better erase the link to my draft list
Wow, I can quote 9 posts.

I'm not running the next one, but there were 4 possibilities for alphabet drafts. We've done this one and one of the previous drafts had an alphabet format.

KP has a mixtape idea and if no one does one in the next month I have a mixtape idea as well.

Still got housekeeping to do here unfortunately.....

Wow, I can quote 9 posts.

I'm not running the next one, but there were 4 possibilities for alphabet drafts. We've done this one and one of the previous drafts had an alphabet format.

KP has a mixtape idea and if no one does one in the next month I have a mixtape idea as well.

Still got housekeeping to do here unfortunately.....
Totally in. 

I still love the title idea. I'm from the emocore aughts with a love of the sixties, so this would be just fine.  

Yes.

As you can see this can be the first of a series of 4.

1) Albums - Alphabet artist Name

2) Albums - Alphabet Album Name

3) Singles - Alphabet artist name

4) Singles - Alphabet song name

We did #4 already with one word song titles and the requirement that mix was sequenced in alphabetical order.

What nerds we once were

ETA:  In of course
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/706131-one-word-titlealphabet-mixtape-draft/

Accidentally bumped that draft. Deleted my post and I think its back to 2014.

Anyway....

We have just done #1 here. #4 was restricted to one word titles, so appears to be fair game. Essentially we have 2, 3 & 4 available, but I'm not running those fusterclucks. Someone else can have a bash or one of the other formats being discussed.

Housekeeping. Apologies if I have this wrong for anyone. Hard keeping track of 26 picks for 30 people.

If anyone has withdrawn, I haven't kept track cause people were saying one thing and doing another and I'll just do the final reconciliation now.

@Doug B owes 8 picks. (C, J, M, O, R, S, W, X) He is posting in the Baseball forum

@Mr. Ected owes 5 picks . (I, N, Q, X, Z) He is on right now, but hasn't posted much in the last few days.

@Abrantes owes 4 picks (Q, U, X, Z). He has posted in this thread recently

@Mister CIA owes 3 picks (I, V, Z) . Busy posting in the Trump threads. So his brain may be lost to us forever.

@sn0mm1s owes 2 picks (Y & Z) Hasn't posted or been around since Thursdays 24th round pick.

@John Maddens Lunchbox owes 2 picks (J & P). Is busy piss farting around instead of picking.

@simey has said X will be blank, so finished at 25. Shame the jukebox won't go to 11 like most of us will.

@Hov34 is missing Z. Making one?

@Mrs. Rannous and @Val Rannous are missing X. I almost assume it will be left blank. Enjoy your volume at 10.

@Northern Voice is missing C, which I assume will be made.

@Binky The Doormat is missing X. I almost assume it will be left blank. Enjoy your volume at 10.

@PIK95 was still dithering between 3 R picks. (REM - Automatic for the People, Radiohead - Amnesiac and Rednex - Sex and Violins)

Let me if I can finish this up, before the Russian mob thread consumes my remaining brain cells.

Posting on the mobile. Will come back and format and provide links later.

I: It's a Beautiful Day, self-titled debut album. Incredible Submarine Band would have gotten more consideration were it not a 26 minute album.

Z: not sure what's available from the Zappa catalog, but let's go with Lumpy Gravy. 

V: ...hmm, I have a question. Are K-Tel albums eligible under the guise of various artists?

Let me if I can finish this up, before the Russian mob thread consumes my remaining brain cells.

Posting on the mobile. Will come back and format and provide links later.

I: It's a Beautiful Day, self-titled debut album. Incredible Submarine Band would have gotten more consideration were it not a 26 minute album.

Z: not sure what's available from the Zappa catalog, but let's go with Lumpy Gravy. 

V: ...hmm, I have a question. Are K-Tel albums eligible under the guise of various artists?
No. Various Artists should be soundtracks with mainly new material, musicals or #### like that

My P picks was a little tricky. Purple Rain being taken helps though. Was strong tempted to go with Pet Shop Boys, but some of their songs have dated horribly. Please has a great first 5 tracks followed by 5 of mediocrity. Actually also has 5 or 6 good ones mixed throughout, but has dross like Hit Music and Shopping ruining the album. Behaviour and Very don't have the duds that the first 2 had, but there's just something missing. Bilingual, Nightlife and Release are patchy at best. Fundamental is their best album since the early 90s and the last 4 are nothing special. Concrete, the live album from 2006, is great though and would have been my choice. Guest vocal performances from Rufus Wainwright and Robbie Williams improve on the originals.

Don't know why I am crapping on about the Pet Shop Boys though, I'm taking a power Pop album from the late 80s.

26.02 - Primitives - Lovely

Whole Album

Crash

Spacehead

Out of Reach

Way Behind Me

Shadow (Heavily owing to 60s sounds)

@John Maddens Lunchbox owes 2 picks (J & P). Is busy piss farting around instead of picking.

@simey has said X will be blank, so finished at 25. Shame the jukebox won't go to 11 like most of us will.

@Mrs. Rannous and @Val Rannous are missing X. I almost assume it will be left blank. Enjoy your volume at 10.

@Binky The Doormat is missing X. I almost assume it will be left blank. Enjoy your volume at 10.

@PIK95 was still dithering between 3 R picks. (REM - Automatic for the People, Radiohead - Amnesiac and Rednex - Sex and Violins)

Yes - I bailed on "X".

Eeph had this right like 20 rounds ago. Going with the Brazilian Zappa rather than the American. Planned on saving him for my all-Brazil list, but screw it.

23.25 Tom ZéEstudando o Samba

Full album

PS. Listening to Brazilian music for my other list and there's so much great stuff, but it seems way more clumped together. Some letters are utterly barren.

I'm up for whatever.   That was phun.
:yes:

1) Albums - Alphabet artist Name

2) Albums - Alphabet Album Name

3) Singles - Alphabet artist name

4) Singles - Alphabet song name

:headbang:   I'd prefer to start with 4, just because it's the most different from 1. You lyrical geniuses can decide, I'll be along for the ride. 

I was torn between a few for C, which is why I left it for the end. There are a couple more recent ones I really like, including #1 on our album poll for 2016 - Car Seat Headrest and also the synthy goodness of Chvrches from the year before.

Those ones may or may not stand the test of time, but this one is just loaded with hits that still sound great after 40 years.

26.15 - The Cars - The Cars

You're All I've Got Tonight <- My favourite Cars song

Just What I Needed

My Best Friends Girl

Moving in Stereo/All Mixed Up

That's the thing, though - I don't think VH changed their sound/style all that much with "Jump". It wasn't like they all of a sudden became a Barry Manilow cover band and didn't "rock" anymore. For a band not known for its finesse, I thought adding some new textures was a masterstroke. Plus, they sped up a little.

Have you guys listened to "Runnin' With The Devil" lately? My God, it's like molasses draining through a sieve made out of mud (or like Bad Company - which is even worse). "The Tennessee Waltz" is a thrash record compared to that. I remember when it came out and thinking "ok, they'll kick in here soon and get this thing going". They never did.
I don't think they sped it up a little with 1984. They just added the synth sounds . They had plenty of songs in their catalog prior to that album that were uptempo rock. They were never a speed metal band. My favorite VH song. That song is the first song VH ever used a piano in, and that was in 1980. EVH played a wurlitzer electric piano in different parts of the song including the intro.  :headbang:

My island - ended about 50/50 in terms of modern indie vs. all other stuff, which is about right for me. Some nice classics that I still listen to all the time. Some more aggressive stuff and some for kicking back. Also after I told @simey the 70s were the worst, I think I took more from then than from the 80s/90s.

• Arctic Monkeys - AM
  • David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
  • The Cars - The Cars
  • Depeche Mode - Black Celebration 
  • Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid 
  • Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight 
  • Matthew Good Band - Beautiful Midnight 
  • The Hold Steady - Separation Sunday
  • Iggy Pop - Lust for Life 
  • Japandroids - Celebration Rock 
  • The Killers - Sams Town
  • Los Campesinos - No Blues
  • Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antartica 
  • The National - Boxer 
  • The Offspring - Smash 
  • Pulp - Different Class
  • Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
  • Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
  • Spoon - Gimme Fiction 
  • Tokyo Police Club - Champ
  • The Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone
  • Voxtrot - Sisters Daughters Wives
  • The Wonder Years - Greatest Generation 
  • XTC - Drums and Wires 
  • Neil Young - After the Gold Rush 
  • Zumpano Goin Through Changes

26th Round - Qwel and Maker - "Owl"

Sorry, been in and out the past few days.  This one is so "out there", that there's not a Wikipedia link for it.  These guys were a staple for background music at the indie record label I once interned at.  I use the term interned very lightly.  It's a chill old-school hip-hop vibe, definitely influenced by De La Soul, ATCQ, Native Tongues stuff.  Qwel kinda sounds like you'd imagine Action Bronson would sound if you'd never heard him talk.

"The Game"

"El Camino"

"Word to the Wise"

26th Round - Qwel and Maker - "Owl"

Sorry, been in and out the past few days.  This one is so "out there", that there's not a Wikipedia link for it.  These guys were a staple for background music at the indie record label I once interned at.  I use the term interned very lightly.  It's a chill old-school hip-hop vibe, definitely influenced by De La Soul, ATCQ, Native Tongues stuff.  Qwel kinda sounds like you'd imagine Action Bronson would sound if you'd never heard him talk.

"The Game"

"El Camino"

"Word to the Wise"
We should do a draft of songs that have fewer than 10K Youtube views.

My island is complete.  Pretty happy with the mix, I think it encompasses pretty much the spectrum of my music.  7 hip-hop albums, 5 of which are among my all-time favorites.  Some really rich art rock.  Some dance albums mixed with some dark shoegazey elements.  And a bunch of pop. 

• A - Arcade Fire - "Funeral"
  • B - Broken Social Scene - "Broken Social Scene"
  • C - Cut/Copy - "In Ghost Colours"
  • D - Daft Punk - "Discovery"
  • E - Eric B & Rakim - "Paid in Full"
  • F - Sky Ferreira - "Night Time, My Time"
  • G - Grimes - "Art Angels"
  • H - HAIM - "Days Are Gone"
  • I - I Break Horses - "Chiaroscuro"
  • J - Michael Jackson - "Thriller"
  • K - Talib Kweli - "Quality"
  • L - Ladytron - "Witching Hour"
  • M - Mos Def - "Black on Both Sides"
  • N - Nas - "Illmatic"
  • O - Of Montreal - "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?"
  • P - Passion Pit - "Manners"
  • Q - Qwel and Maker - "Owl"
  • R - Reverie Sound Revue - "Reverie Sound Revue"
  • S - St. Vincent - "Strange Mercy"
  • T - The Thermals - "The Body, the Blood, the Machine"
  • U - Unknown Mortal Orchestra - "Unknown Mortal Orchestra"
  • V - Vampire Weekend - "Vampire Weekend"
  • W - Kanye West - "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy"
  • X - XV - "Zero Heroes"
  • Y - Young Galaxy - "Shapeshifting"
  • Z - Zola Jesus - "Taiga"

My island is complete.  Pretty happy with the mix, I think it encompasses pretty much the spectrum of my music.  7 hip-hop albums, 5 of which are among my all-time favorites.  Some really rich art rock.  Some dance albums mixed with some dark shoegazey elements.  And a bunch of pop. 

• A - Arcade Fire - "Funeral"
  • B - Broken Social Scene - "Broken Social Scene"
  • C - Cut/Copy - "In Ghost Colours"
  • D - Daft Punk - "Discovery"
  • E - Eric B & Rakim - "Paid in Full"
  • F - Sky Ferreira - "Night Time, My Time"
  • G - Grimes - "Art Angels"
  • H - HAIM - "Days Are Gone"
  • I - I Break Horses - "Chiaroscuro"
  • J - Michael Jackson - "Thriller"
  • K - Talib Kweli - "Quality"
  • L - Ladytron - "Witching Hour"
  • M - Mos Def - "Black on Both Sides"
  • N - Nas - "Illmatic"
  • O - Of Montreal - "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?"
  • P - Passion Pit - "Manners"
  • Q - Qwel and Maker - "Owl"
  • R - Reverie Sound Revue - "Reverie Sound Revue"
  • S - St. Vincent - "Strange Mercy"
  • T - The Thermals - "The Body, the Blood, the Machine"
  • U - Unknown Mortal Orchestra - "Unknown Mortal Orchestra"
  • V - Vampire Weekend - "Vampire Weekend"
  • W - Kanye West - "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy"
  • X - XV - "Zero Heroes"
  • Y - Young Galaxy - "Shapeshifting"
  • Z - Zola Jesus - "Taiga"
Send flotilla. Will send bottle in return. Love Qwel and Maker, btw. Jam for Tuesday morning. 

Still filling out my DI jukebox, and Zorn is such a weirdo (not in a bad way) that he's hard to pin down, but I'll go with this one. Bonus points for the Brazilian music/movie stuff. Zorn got a hell of a cast together for this one.

24.06 John Zorn, The Big Gundown

full album

John Maddens Lunchbox said:

I took the R.E.M.

rockaction said:
Owl/The Game by Qwel and the Maker is utter fire. I've had a ####ty few days, but this is making up for it.
Honestly, I kinda forgot how good they are (or Qwel solo).  I had literally nothing else for Q after Queen and Queens of the Stone Age were taken. 

Users who are viewing this thread