What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Music Draft-Albums-Artist Alphabet Island- ****Make ALL owed picks soon or we will pick for you**** (2 Viewers)

Right ...so anyone named Bob would be under "B".
Nope. You dont find Bowie under D in the soon to be extinct music shops.

Last name of a solo artist.

it gets more complicated with eg Alan Parsons Project, but I still think that belongs under P in the good ol fashioned recorde shoppe 

Right.  Agree entirely.  

I made the comment above in response to FUBAR interpreting my comment in the exact opposite of what I posted (see my comment a few posts above).  

I figured he was ####### around.  

Clear out your inbox as Ill be asking what letter it's under pretty much every picl to be sure. I'm slightly confused.  Tia.
The letter should be what you will find the artist listed under in a record store. I will try and update daily with peoples picks assigned to a letter.

Why no Live albums?
Tends to be what we do in these things.

Generally they are just a live greatest hits. Obviously there are many exceptions. Maybe if it was exclusively new material live, we can go with that?

If people want a best of or live to be included, we can go with that, just holler if you have an opinion.

Live albums good

Greatest hits compilations bad

Sadly no room for various artists compilations in this format

I think we have 20 in here so far, including the tentatives. Correct me if I am wrong!

Drafters
AcerFC
Binkey the Doormat
dal_boys_phan
Dr. Octopus
Eephus
El Floppo
FUBAR
higgins (Tentative)
Hov34
Ilov80s
John Madden's Lunchbox
Mr. Ected
Northern Voice
PIK95
rockaction (Tentative)
simey
sn0mm1s
Steve Tasker
timscochet
wikkidpissah (?)

I think we have 20 in here so far, including the tentatives. Correct me if I am wrong!

Drafters
AcerFC
Binkey the Doormat
dal_boys_phan
Dr. Octopus
Eephus
El Floppo
FUBAR
higgins (Tentative)
Hov34
Ilov80s
John Madden's Lunchbox
Mr. Ected
Northern Voice
PIK95
rockaction (Tentative)
simey
sn0mm1s
Steve Tasker
timscochet
wikkidpissah (?)
hfs... did you alphabetize us? 

impressed/aghast

Drafters
AcerFC
Binkey the Doormat
dal_boys_phan
Dr. Octopus
Eephus
El Floppo
FUBAR
higgins (Tentative)
Hov34
Ilov80s
John Madden's Lunchbox
Mr. Ected
Northern Voice
PIK95
rockaction (Tentative)
simey
sn0mm1s
Steve Tasker
timscochet
wikkidpissah (?)
hfs... did you alphabetize us? 

impressed/aghast
Either I have enough time to do s*** like that, or it's easy to do with things like Excel.  :bag:

Mmmm, i would say it would be perfectly reasonable to committ mass atrociticies at this point of the draft
The  album is one of my faves but I think it was released under Prince & The New Power Generation name.  The couple of albums he released as the symbol weren't as good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where we are with the "rules"

No greatest hits. Live albums are allowed as long as they are not a greatest hits live.

Various Artists are allowed for V, providing it is has material that is generally not available elsewhere.

Now moving onto decade representation and blocking artists.

I suggest the following:

A minimum of 1 album from every decade eg (pre 1970, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s). Eg you could have 19 from the 70s and 1 each from the others.

No blocking of artists eg all 24 or whatever we are at now can pick the same artist for a certain letter or theoretically all letters.

Nothing is locked in. Happy to discuss further.

Where we are with the "rules"

No greatest hits. Live albums are allowed as long as they are not a greatest hits live.

Various Artists are allowed for V, providing it is has material that is generally not available elsewhere.

Now moving onto decade representation and blocking artists.

I suggest the following:

A minimum of 1 album from every decade eg (pre 1970, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s). Eg you could have 19 from the 70s and 1 each from the others.

No blocking of artists eg all 24 or whatever we are at now can pick the same artist for a certain letter or theoretically all letters.

Nothing is locked in. Happy to discuss further.
How do we handle the live albums then since most live albums are a mix of music and not just from 1 album? 

How about requiring one live album (that fits the previously discussed "not best of" and "not greatest hits" parameters) alongside one from each decade?  

This would give you seven mandatory selections - a minimum of 1 album from every decade eg (pre 1970, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s) plus one live album - then 17 to fill out the roster.

How about requiring one live album (that fits the previously discussed "not best of" and "not greatest hits" parameters) alongside one from each decade?  

This would give you seven mandatory selections - a minimum of 1 album from every decade eg (pre 1970, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s) plus one live album - then 17 to fill out the roster.
This isn't bad but I'd be against getting any more restrictive.

Damn that's a lot of restrictions. 

I like the A to Z thing. But why an album from each decade? I will confess right now that I'm an old dude who hasn't listened to a lot of music made after 2000- I don't like most of what I hear. Must I choose two albums that I don't really care for to go along with 24 others that I love? Seems to take away from the idea of "desert island" doesn't it? 

I'll abide by the rules whatever they are, but if I had my druthers I'd say no decade restrictions, just A-Z and that's it. 

I'm Iooking at it like a preamble; something great is about to happen.

I like the A to Z thing. But why an album from each decade? I will confess right now that I'm an old dude who hasn't listened to a lot of music made after 2000- I don't like most of what I hear. Must I choose two albums that I don't really care for to go along with 24 others that I love? Seems to take away from the idea of "desert island" doesn't it? 

I'll abide by the rules whatever they are, but if I had my druthers I'd say no decade restrictions, just A-Z and that's it. 
I've been toying with jumping in, but I agree with Tim. Not because I couldn't find newer stuff I love, but because it's "Desert Island" and I should be able to pick 24 albums from the 40s if I'm gonna spend the rest of my days talking to a volley ball.

Also, is this gonna be a speed draft? If so, I definitely won't be able to do it.............. (everyone sighs in relief). 

I've been toying with jumping in, but I agree with Tim. Not because I couldn't find newer stuff I love, but because it's "Desert Island" and I should be able to pick 24 albums from the 40s if I'm gonna spend the rest of my days talking to a volley ball.

Also, is this gonna be a speed draft? If so, I definitely won't be able to do it.............. (everyone sighs in relief). 
I'm with Tim and Uruk. I don't mind the no greatest hits albums, but I'd prefer everything else to be free drafting. As for speed, if JML is running it, it will be as a slow as pond water.

We allowed the skipping of three letters In the previous alphabet draft instead of two.  I think that's probably a good idea worth repeating given the number of drafters in this one.  Some letters are very thin.

We allowed the skipping of three letters In the previous alphabet draft instead of two.  I think that's probably a good idea worth repeating given the number of drafters in this one.  Some letters are very thin.
Won't everyone just skip X, Q, Z? Would be nice for scarcity etc... if we could do all 26 letters but be flexible with these three - maybe for these they could for first or last name or the title of the album or any word in the album title. Just thinking out loud.

Users who are viewing this thread