What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Song Draft - Alphabet thievery afoot - Thievery abounds, XTC and Queen popular. Starting Round 25. Chaos coming (2 Viewers)

As a neurotic nerd who worked in a library for four years, I'm perturbed that indefinite articles are considered for this. A and An (and you could argue their foreign language counterparts as well) should be excluded, IMO. In the above scenario, A Certain Circle would be a C artist, not an A artist.

I'm good playing by whatever rules, but inner library-page shelving books for a living is having an eye-twitch at this. At least we have the definite article (The Strokes being an S artist) and the last name/first name (Neil Young being a Y artist) in proper format.

Ok, hopefully last stupid question. Can I steal something back that was stolen from me?

Scenario 1
Round 1
- I pick The Aardvarks
- someone steals it later that round
- I pick The Bambis as a replacement
Round 2
- I re-steal The Aardvarks

Scenario 2
Round 1
- I pick The Aardvarks
- someone steals The Bambis that round
- I re-steal The Aardvarks (all in the same round)

Are either of those legal?

Not sure I'll have a lot of time to dedicate to this with the top 31 artist list going on simultaneously, but I'll do it.
Sorry to do this, but getting slammed with work and don’t have the time to prepare. I’ll sit this one out, but will chime in.

Ok, hopefully last stupid question. Can I steal something back that was stolen from me?

Scenario 1
Round 1
- I pick The Aardvarks
Round 2

Scenario 2
Round 1
- I pick The Aardvarks

Yes, they would both be legal.

As a neurotic nerd who worked in a library for four years, I'm perturbed that indefinite articles are considered for this. A and An (and you could argue their foreign language counterparts as well) should be excluded, IMO. In the above scenario, A Certain Circle would be a C artist, not an A artist.

I'm good playing by whatever rules, but inner library-page shelving books for a living is having an eye-twitch at this. At least we have the definite article (The Strokes being an S artist) and the last name/first name (Neil Young being a Y artist) in proper format.
The is very common for bands.
How many bands/artists start with A or An? I cannot think of many, but its hard to google. Not abba, but A Certain Circle or An Aardvark?
Im happy to accomodate though, but trying to think of real world examples.

Not sure I'll have a lot of time to dedicate to this with the top 31 artist list going on simultaneously, but I'll do it.
Sorry to do this, but getting slammed with work and don’t have the time to prepare. I’ll sit this one out, but will chime in.
You are always welcome to change your mind.
In theory you only need to prepare one letter per day and most dont need much preparation.

Ideally need 20 people to make this work on a difficulty level.

Scenario 1
Round 1
- I pick The Aardvarks
Round 2

Scenario 2
Round 1
- I pick The Aardvarks

In scenario 1 you have been stolen from once and stolen once yourself. Either are available for anyone else

In scenario 2 you have been stolen from twice, so when you re-steal the Aardvarks you get to keep them automatically as no one else can steal from you. You also have one steal left which you will automatically get to keep no matter what.

You are always welcome to change your mind.
In theory you only need to prepare one letter per day and most dont need much preparation.

Ideally need 20 people to make this work on a difficulty level.
Got it - see if you can get to 20 without me and if not I’ll give it a shot.

How many bands/artists start with A or An? I cannot think of many, but its hard to google. Not abba, but A Certain Circle or An Aardvark?
One could always pick The The.

What about indefinite articles in foreign languages?

(Joking — and this draft sounds interesting, but I’ve got about 6 fantasy football rookie drafts kicking off in the next week, so won’t have time to participate.)

Arctic Monkeys. I agree STRONGLY with Tasker fwiw.

new question:

* are we allowing individual artists to be used as another way into their "home band"? ex.) "The Band" has been taken - but Robbie Robertson is taken and a "The Band" song is used to represent that pick ...instead of a clearly solo performance or some other band iteration or collaboration.

new question:

* are we allowing individual artists to be used as another way into their "home band"? ex.) "The Band" has been taken - but Robbie Robertson is taken and a "The Band" song is used to represent that pick ...instead of a clearly solo performance or some other band iteration or collaboration.
Seems like that shouldn’t be allowed

new question:

yeah, I agree - just wanted to continue clarifying for everyone to head off at some of the damage ...

but we need a ruling from our leader

One could always pick The The.
The Temptations or the Ting Tings does the same trick

What about indefinite articles in foreign languages?

(Joking — and this draft sounds interesting, but I’ve got about 6 fantasy football rookie drafts kicking off in the next week, so won’t have time to participate.)
I have an umlauts and esszet clause included. But yeah, Un Beatles or Die Rolling Stones.
As mentioned I will be the sole arbiter of these decisions, but i dont imagine many issues. But I know me and my evil mind

Arctic Monkeys. I agree STRONGLY with Tasker fwiw.
Ok. Easy. I will update the OP.
A Certain Circle will now be C and An Omlette will be O

new question:

new question:

Only thing Im leading is an exercise in chaos lol

This is the Queen, Queen and David Bowie, Brian May, Freddie Mercury thing I talked about. Maybe

Maybe I misunderstand the question. Many bands works are literally the work of one artist, but attributed to the band.

If someone wants to take, Eric Clapton, Derek and the Dominos, Blind Faith and the Yardbirds as 4 of their letters, all good. They cant have Cream and Clapton though.

Maybe I misunderstand the question. Many bands works are literally the work of one artist, but attributed to the band.

If someone wants to take, Eric Clapton, Derek and the Dominos, Blind Faith and the Yardbirds as 4 of their letters, all good. They cant have Cream and Clapton though.

reaction.

please elaborate on those differences JML - ho-lee-sheet, that is clear as mud to me ...

are you saying that Clapton so dominated Blind Faith and the Yardbirds that they qualify as an extension of Clapton? (I can see that for Derek and the Dominos more easily)

skating on unstable ice here

ETA: in no f'n way was Winwood a 2nd fiddle to Clapton in Blind Faith and to think that the Yardbirds was nothing more than a Clapton solo vehicle is crazy talk.

ETA: sorry, I read that wrong - can't have 2 C's ...get it - LOL. :lmao: ****.

Last edited:

reaction.

please elaborate on those differences JML - ho-lee-sheet, that is clear as mud to me ...

are you saying that Clapton so dominated Blind Faith and the Yardbirds that they qualify as an extension of Clapton? (I can see that for Derek and the Dominos more easily)

skating on unstable ice here

ETA: in no f'n way was Winwood a 2nd fiddle to Clapton in Blind Faith and to think that the Yardbirds was nothing more than a Clapton solo vehicle is crazy talk.

ETA: sorry, I read that wrong - can't have 2 C's ...get it - LOL. :lmao: ****.
The people in the band are irrelevant. Most long term bands change personnel so often, im not tracking stuff like that
Eric Clapton could play backup harmonica in The Fugees and it wont make any difference. The Name is all that is important.

If you draft Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green, Lindsay Buckingham or Neil Finn as the lead vocalist, it doesnt matter.
F for Fleetwood Mac is all that matters.

Maybe we should just start :shrug:
I would like to get to 20 and start on friday. Pips invitation is on a cruise or something, but the point that these things get ironed out once we start is understood.

OK, let's discuss rules for three more days.

A House should be "A" then. I've seen their name hyphenated just like a-ha.
Yep, you are probably right. Will allow 24 more hours for signups and then just start and see what happens.

Im not smart or educated enough to adjudicate on hyphens, but the day A-Ha goes under H i abandon the english language altogether

These things go nowhere on weekends typically so maybe do a soft start sooner? Just sayin...

These things go nowhere on weekends typically so maybe do a soft start sooner? Just sayin...
Im not gonna be a nazi with the clock. After all im in another dimension anyway
4 rounds, in draft order with some drafters being shuffled around to accomodate availability.
For the first 4 rounds I might have time blocks in place....i know what i mean.
Then one per day.

Im not gonna be a nazi with the clock. After all im in another dimension anyway
4 rounds, in draft order with some drafters being shuffled around to accomodate availability.
For the first 4 rounds I might have time blocks in place....i know what i mean.
Then one per day.
Sounds great. :highfive:

I'm out if this starts before Friday. On vacation and then traveling back on a redeye Thursday night.

ETA: Sounds like this has been decided. And even with a "slow clock" I know how people get around here, and I'm not going to hold anything up. Out. And it's no problem. I'll watch from the sidelines.

I'm out if this starts before Friday. On vacation and then traveling back on a redeye Thursday night.

ETA: Sounds like this has been decided. And even with a "slow clock" I know how people get around here, and I'm not going to hold anything up. Out. And it's no problem. I'll watch from the sidelines.

I vote we give K4 Infinity clock. She can pick whenever she wants. She's earned it.

I vote we give K4 Infinity clock. She can pick whenever she wants. She's earned it.
Ok. What about this.
I have a bit of spreadsheet work to prepare anyway for this, so friday is fine with me.

If we have further questions about rules or whatever, please PM me. If its an important distinction I will update the OP and advise any in a separate post. If its just clarification then PM will be fine

Signups are still open. We need 20-26 to make this work, but 16 would be the bare minimum.
If we drop below 16, we postpone or cancel.

Okay, I think I can do this, but I still don't get the steal part of it. We can just steal willy-nilly if we like a band within that letter?

I hope that I'm helping us reach the requisite amount of drafters. Plus, I want to hang out a bit.

awesome rock!

yeah, take a look at JML's first post or two - we all get 2 steals and no more - and we only have to suffer 2 steals FROM us - after that our artists are protected.

yeah, take a look at JML's first post or two - we all get 2 steals and no more - and we only have to suffer 2 steals FROM us - after that our artists are protected.

Cool. I'll just play it by ear and have fun with it regardless of how it works out. I can't see myself getting too attached to a song where it ruins my fun or something like that. Two steals seems fine. Count me in if there's room.

Cool. I'll just play it by ear and have fun with it regardless of how it works out. I can't see myself getting too attached to a song where it ruins my fun or something like that. Two steals seems fine. Count me in if there's room.
Thanks.
There is no obligation for you to take someone elses pick. The pick is really the artist and the song.
If you decide to go to someone else island and borrow their artist, you can change the song on your island.

If someone takes one of your picks it can only happen twice.. After that all your artists are protected.

Do we still "need" two or will we go with fewer if necessary? If we only have 18, should we have three steals? :devil: (Note that there is no mathematical reason for the question but it would prevent this from being over as quickly. Also, I'm evil.)

Do we still "need" two or will we go with fewer if necessary? If we only have 18, should we have three steals? :devil: (Note that there is no mathematical reason for the question but it would prevent this from being over as quickly. Also, I'm evil.)
Hello sista in evil, we dont need an extra two drafters, but it makes the degree of difficulty more fun.

Regarding 3 steals, not this time. If someone wants to run with this format in another draft, they can go for it.
Lets just see if it works here first of all and adapt for possible future iterations

Hello sista in evil, we dont need an extra two drafters, but it makes the degree of difficulty more fun.

Regarding 3 steals, not this time. If someone wants to run with this format in another draft, they can go for it.
Lets just see if it works here first of all and adapt for possible future iterations

reaction.

Users who are viewing this thread